• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Please don't be so obtuse, that's all I ask. I'm not asking for hand holding, but for the love of god I don't want to feel like I need to look online to see what everything does.

Apparently that is one of the goals of the new director.

I'm paraphrasing here, but it seems to me like they want to make that kind of information more accessible, while keeping the same base difficulties.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
All I want is a menu option to restart next to a boss. I absolutely love these games, but after the 10th time of taking 20 minutes to fight to a boss just to insta-die, I simply can't play the game any more.

ShaneB

Apparently that is one of the goals of the new director.

I'm paraphrasing here, but it seems to me like they want to make that kind of information more accessible, while keeping the same base difficulties.

Yeah, I'm familiar with the intentions going forward with Dark Souls 2, but asking something like that is a slippery slope. I don't want it "casualized", and certainly enjoyed Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to a point, but I gave up on Dark Souls twice when I just got tired of feeling like I spent more time online asking about the game instead of playing it and enjoying it.

Grief.exe

Guys, I gotta share this. Cracked me up hard.

h6h7430.png

RwFVeFc.gif

trF527C.gif

phPncJZ.gif

eqARMG6.jpg

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath needed an editor. The game is too long.

Seems like you are just about there.

How Long to Beat says 11-12 hours.

HoosTrax

All I want is a menu option to restart next to a boss. I absolutely love these games, but after the 10th time of taking 20 minutes to fight to a boss just to insta-die, I simply can't play the game any more.
What game are we talking about? NiGHTS into Dreams?

DagsJT

Poker Night At The Inventory is pretty funny. I've never seen this Strong Bad character before but he makes me laugh. I got the Strong Bad adventure games in a recent bundle so I think I should try them soon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Bite your tongue! Clearly she's doing it for science.

I'll check this out but as soon as you said competitive shmup I thought of this gem.

380358-twinkle-star-sprites-neo-geo-screenshot-i-won-s.png

The fact Twinkle Star Sprites hasn't been rebooted/revisited is a god damn crime. SNK refuses to give me a reason to pack up my Neo Geo.
Why does this sound like the name of a My Little Pony pony to me? I never watched that show, mind you.

Grief.exe

You can just run past all of the enemies and get to the boss.

I was still figuring the game out so I probably replayed the Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles the most. I had perfect routes for both of them, took me probably a minute and a half to get back to the boss.

I would make the run and get past all of the enemies, and then get into the boss fog with all of them right behind me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That is the completely antithesis to what Dark Souls' gameplay is about.

What you want is a different game.

Yeah once you know where to go, getting to the boss isn't all that problematic.

If you stay and fight everything, well obviously you're going to have more trouble.

That is the completely antithesis to what Dark Souls' gameplay is about.

What you want is a different game.

You'd be correct if all boss encounters and approaches were perfectly designed.

Sadly, they are not, and thus the desire to have a nearby respawn has merit. This goes double if you played it on consoles and had to contend with framerate issues.
Early-mid in the game it's not too bad but the Lordvessel bosses go a bit long between bonfire and boss combat, particularly Seathe with the invisobridges.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You'd be correct if all boss encounters and approaches were perfectly designed.

Sadly, they are not, and thus the desire to have a nearby respawn has merit. This goes double if you played it on consoles and had to contend with framerate issues.

Early-mid in the game it's not too bad but the Lordvessel bosses go a bit long between bonfire and boss combat, particularly Seathe with the invisobridges.

We might as well get rid of the penalty if you can't get back to your place of death, too. It just makes you needlessly grind.

Dr Dogg

I have no idea about the $1 games. How are they?

Well still haven't played Flotilla but heard it's alright but Atom Zombie Smasher is mental. Kind of a strategy come wave deference game. Each stage works as a city and you either have to save all the civilians on to to helicopter whilst you use an extensive arsenal of offensive and defensive weapon to bat away the zombie hordes. Was only playing it due to being part of the achievements for a Steam meta game but got sucked into it well after getting the chievo. Well worth $1.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well still haven't played Flotilla but heard it's alright but Atom Zombie Smasher is mental. Kind of a strategy come wave deference game. Each stage works as a city and you either have to save all the civilians on to to helicopter whilst you use an extensive arsenal of offensive and defensive weapon to bat away the zombie hordes. Was only playing it due to being part of the achievements for a Steam meta game but got sucked into it well after getting the chievo. Well worth $1.
Even if I don't like/am terrible at strategy games? It sounds like a tower defense game, which I'm not a fan of.

Dr Dogg

Even if I don't like/am terrible at strategy games? It sounds like a tower defense game, which I'm not a fan of.

Well I'm not a fan of Tower Deference games but really dug this. It can be a bit frustrating due to been a tinsy weeny bit hard at times and at other flipping impossible but it's one of those 'Just one more go' type of games. TotalBiscuit did a WTF on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI_-KMh2z7o) which might give you a better idea.

1-D_FTW

It could get better?

I enjoyed the beginning (or middle or wherever I currently am). But I'm getting to a part where you're tediously locked into a room and have to do a bunch of annoying "puzzle" crap to get to the next screen. Shitty "puzzles" should also be added to the indie meme. Which is a shame, because I've been loving the game up till now. But if I'm looking at the next hour or so just being more of this, I won't get much farther. This is not what I thought I was signing up for.

dani_dc

I think the game is worth it, the game also has a few "Modifiers" that allow you to make the game harder/easier.
I found the game to be a bit too hard to difficult the first time around without any Modifiers, especially since the weapons you get (like snipers and bombs) are random so there's a good deal of luck involved which I didn't found ideal when you're still learning the game, so I'd recommend starting with "Choosers" (allowing you to choose what weapons you get) and maybe "party wagon" the first couple times around.

The game is pretty unique and definitively worth giving a try for $1.

You know they're both going to be GFWL..

Steam achievements were added to Arkham Asylum a month ago (they're not unlockable yet - UGH, I'm waiting until they're attainable to start playing it) and Arkham City's entry on the registry shows some movement recently too, I hope that's a sign they're done with GFWL for good!

So, Super Hexagon... Has anyone here beaten any hyper mode variation? I've just unlocked Hexagon hyper mode and the damn arrow moves too slow, damn it!

kami_sama

Steam achievements were added to Arkham Asylum a month ago (they're not unlockable yet - UGH, I'm waiting until they're attainable to start playing it) and Arkham City's entry on the registry shows some movement recently too, I hope that's a sign they're done with GFWL for good!

So, Super Hexagon... Has anyone here beaten any hyper mode variation? I've just unlocked Hexagon hyper mode and the damn arrow moves too slow, damn it!
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/595874391621533592/5E773C465B38F4C37FAFEBE9EFC1FA1629B97CB4/ :p

I still have Hyper Hexagonest to beat (I'm doing 24 seconds right now). Compared to that one, the other levels now seem to me like a piece of cake... Practice is the only thing that can help you :p
I have almost 120 seconds in hyper hexagoner, but only 12 in hyper hexagonest, it's just too damn difficult.

I still have Hyper Hexagonest to beat (I'm doing 24 seconds right now). Compared to that one, the other levels now seem to me like a piece of cake... Practice is the only thing that can help you :p

ArjanN

I was still figuring the game out so I probably replayed the Taurus Demon and the Gargoyles the most. I had perfect routes for both of them, took me probably a minute and a half to get back to the boss.

I would make the run and get past all of the enemies, and then get into the boss fog with all of them right behind me.

I'm pretty sure you can get to all the bosses in like a minute or two from the nearest bonfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom