• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

See, I don't agree with that at all. Done properly, achievements can encourage you to break out of your comfort zone, and try new approaches and explore things you otherwise might not.

But Don't Starve is a very unique in this case, at least I think so. If you failed the first time, you are essentially forced to do things different otherwise you're dooming yourself to failure again.

HoosTrax

But Don't Starve is a very unique in this case, at least I think so. If you failed the first time, you are essentially forced to do things different otherwise you're dooming yourself to failure again.
I feel like you can get into a pretty comfortable and stable state without delving into Tier 3-related content though (the Shadow Manipulator related stuff).

Grief.exe

Pretty sure they acknowledged that they weren't going to put achievements in their game because they felt it hindered the overall experience they were trying to achieve with this game.

Interview here:http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/...nsic-rewards-in-kleis-latest-game-dont-starve

I read those statements, that was why I was bringing it up.

Gives you something to shoot for. Maybe a different playstyle, or a certain amount of days to survive.

I can tell you this much, you never lost a sale or make your game worse by adding achievements.

HoosTrax

I can tell you this much, you never lost a sale or make your game worse by adding achievements.
Ok, that part is a little debatable if you have memories of what TF2 was like on the day they introduced achievements for the first time. (Medics sitting in spawn, healing each other etc.)

Hence the emphasis on "properly done" achievements. The ones for Mark of the Ninja were pretty good imho.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Ok, that part is a little debatable if you have memories of what TF2 was like on the day they introduced achievements for the first time. (Medics sitting in spawn, healing each other etc.)

Hence the emphasis on "properly done" achievements. The ones for Mark of the Ninja were pretty good imho.

I remember those days, horrible, the only good thing Valve did after that was add the huntsman...

Gives you something to shoot for. Maybe a different playstyle, or a certain amount of days to survive.

Games have definitely gotten worse by adding achievements. Mostly through affecting player behaviour in multiplayer, but also if you like being a completionist a terrible set of cheesemints would take a game that you might've played properly and enjoyed for what it was and turned it into something terrible by the time you've gotten your "100%". Though it's just like any other design element, it can greatly enhance the experience as well if done properly.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

The problem there wasn't achievements, the problem was they had tied the first batch of new class items to those achievements.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

That's what adventure mode is for I guess. I'm more concerned about Steam Workshop support. I hope they get that in at launch cause frankly their current mod pages/forum sucks and I'd prefer a one click install instead of the current system.

Speaking about adventure mode, they're running a feedback/bug test this week.

SURPRISE! (Story preview test!)

Hey guys! Here's your surprise!

Adventure mode takes about 10 hours to complete (we think!), so we need to leverage the power of the crowd to see how the whole thing feels before launch. In order to sneak in a little more testing and feedback time, we've made a special branch showcasing the (close to) final tuning of adventure mode.

If you are an advanced player, please consider hopping over to the test branch and giving it a whirl. Graham will be providing some survey questions to collect your feedback. We have disabled level 6 (the epilog) so as to not spoil the ending of the game, but the rest of it is in there.

Here are the instructions for doing the switch:

1. In your Steam library, right click on Don't Starve and select Properties
  2. Click on the Betas tab
  3. From the dropdown, select the "adventuretesting" branch
  4. type ADVENTUREMODE in the password box and press the "Check Password" button. (DON'T PRESS ENTER! IT WILL CLOSE THE WINDOW)
  5. Steam should now say that you have opted into the beta
  6. Close the dialog, and play the game! Your version number should be 75672
  7. To switch back, do the previous steps, but select NONE as your beta branch.

​Save games and profiles are branch-specific, so you can switch back and forth without stomping your save games. We will be wiping this branch and putting everyone back to default at the end of the week, so please only switch to it if you want to participate in the test.

If you find any bugs in this branch, please report them in this thread, and not through the usual system.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My "Indie" section of my Steam Game List is getting too cluttered (read: a bunch of shitty games)

I need to come up with a new system. But I can't be bothered to either come up with it or arrange it inside the client.... hmmm...

My "Indie" section of my Steam Game List is getting too cluttered (read: a bunch of shitty games)

I need to come up with a new system. But I can't be bothered to either come up with it or arrange it inside the client.... hmmm...

I still want categories within grid view. Something like how you can group together apps in iOS would be awesome. I spend most of my time in grid view because it's so awesome, so usually don't bother to categorise.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Shitdie
Indie

HoosTrax

Do what I do -- make a section each for "tower defense", "platformer", and "puzzler" (potential overlap with "platformer" category). You'll probably only have a handful of games left in "Indie".

(no, I'm not being tongue-in-cheek)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do what I do -- make a section each for "tower defense", "platformer", and "puzzler" (potential overlap with "platformer" category). You'll probably only have a handful of games left in "Indie".

(no, I'm not being tongue-in-cheek)

It would be easier to bunch "tower Defense" and "puzzler" into the "Shit" category, and "Platformer" into the "indie"

Wasn't there a Steam Category Mover homebrew editor thing?

FYC

Banned
Serious Sam Double D is so fucking awesome

I really hope the SS collection goes on sale soon

v DANTE AVATAR BROOOO WASSUP

I hate all the view modes, so I stay with detail view installed.

I wish the grid tiles would go smaller, about half as large and I would consider it. They all just kinda suck tbh.

I can fit 7 in a row at 1080p and 11 at 1440p, how much smaller do you want them to go?

Fake Edit: Origin can fit 17 at 1080p, and it does look kinda cool.

Salsa

people who dont use grid view are probably the boys from Brazil

meaning Hitler clones, not actual Brazilians you uninformed buffoons

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I look at grid view every few months, that's about it. Detail view is standard for me.

I feel like some odd man out here using the default Steam skin, installing only a handful of games that I know I'll be playing, with no game categories just list view in alphabetical order.

I like grid view since it makes me feel like I have a bigger Steam library. Speaking of which, anyone want to know how many games on Steam I have?

*grins at Stallion*

I can fit 7 in a row at 1080p and 11 at 1440p, how much smaller do you want them to go?

I feel like some odd man out here using the default Steam skin, installing only a handful of games that I know I'll be playing, with no game categories just list view in alphabetical order.

I look at grid view every few months, that's about it. Detail view is standard for me.

I'm at 1440p, but even the smallest grid tile size seems too big to me. Like the entire point of a games launcher is easy access with some form of interface that actually makes it really easy and makes you WANT to click on said game to launch it. Maybe smaller icons would do that for me, and the ability to free form arrange them, who knows.

I think it's the same for people who use the new tab page in browsers to click the huge tiles to to their top or frequently used sites... I don't use that, I use the navigation bar and start typing: relying on history and bookmarks along with cntrl t.

So detail view gives you a nice alphabetical list of games with oft-interesting information to the right side, and if reading the alphabet in your head is too much work there is always tab + type the game + press enter which is what I do a lot lately.

I'm at 1440p, but even the smallest grid tile size seems too big to me. Like the entire point of a games launcher is easy access with some form of interface that actually makes it really easy and makes you WANT to click on said game to launch it. Maybe smaller icons would do that for me, and the ability to free form arrange them, who knows.

I think it's the same for people who use the new tab page in browsers to click the huge tiles to to their top or frequently used sites... I don't use that, I use the navigation bar and start typing: relying on history and bookmarks along with cntrl t.

So detail view gives you a nice alphabetical list of games with oft-interesting information to the right side, and if reading the alphabet in your head is too much work there is always tab + type the game + press enter which is what I do a lot lately.

But...pretty pictures.

With browsing I'm just like you; I use the bookmarks mar and browser history to get where I want to go. On Steam though I love the grid view, it's like having a digital version of a bookshelf, though I'm unsure if I prefer Origin's choice of game boxart or Steam's grid pics. If I need more detail (achievements for example) I just press the details button and look at it there. In an ideal world the details button would just have a pane pop in from the side with the details, but I can live with it as it is.

HoosTrax

It's trashhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Lol I just found this out for myself. The game (Air Forte) is basically Number Munchers (an edutainment children's game) with a Blendo art style and weird storyline. Also, some of the geography lessons are questionable. Since when were the Bahamas considered part of North America? And Lebanon being considered part of Asia? That's kind of iffy.

On a side note, it seems like every Blendo game reuses the same music and voice clips.

Blizzard

Banned
Why do devs do enemy spam? Fucking stop unless the enemies die in like 1 shot.
What game is it happening in? *edit* Oh, Stranger's Wrath.

On another note, cool games for midweek deal and daily deal. Scribblenauts Unlimited is nifty. I don't know if I have a single favorite game, but Mirror's Edge is probably close to it for me. I've gifted it probably 8 times before, and today I found two more people still had it on their wishlists, so it's been gifted to them too. I like to make sure everyone who wants to play it can. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom