• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having an issue trying to download Chivalry. It wont open at all despite it being installed. It seems like its trying to do the setup but it goes quick and i believe skips it.

FloatOn

Hmm started back at Dead Rising Off The Record, its rather good. Dumb but good.

I've had that installed for awhile just never took the time to play it. Is it possible or advisable to skip the story and just do sandbox mode? Or should you level up in the story first and then take on sandbox?

I don't think I have any interest in the story at all.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've had that installed for awhile just never took the time to play it. Is it possible or advisable to skip the story and just do sandbox mode? Or should you level up in the story first and then take on sandbox?

The story is a huge pain in the ass because you can run out of time very easily before getting to an important story quest and have to start over from the very beginning. It lets you keep your levels though so you can kinda keep new game+'ing over and over until you finally have enough skills to slaughter your way from point to point effortlessly.

Bosses still suck though. Ugh.

Acorn

I think you have to make a story save first before you can make a sandbox one. But as soon as you've saved you can ignore the story and start a sandbox game.

If anything I'd advise levelling up in sandbox and then tackling the story because the base skills and inventory slots suck with the time limit.

EDIT- Also in sandbox you have the time to get combo cards and fuck around without constantly chasing after annoying survivors.

Noogy

Wait a minute, Riddick has been pulled? And I'm just now realizing that Blur had been pulled at one point as well? World ain't right.

FloatOn

The story is a huge pain in the ass because you can run out of time very easily before getting to an important story quest and have to start over from the very beginning. It lets you keep your levels though so you can kinda keep new game+'ing over and over until you finally have enough skills to slaughter your way from point to point effortlessly.

Bosses still suck though. Ugh.

Yeah, that was my issue with the first Dead Rising. As I understand it sandbox mode in Off The Record kills the time limit and just gives you a bunch of challenges. I want to know if I go straight into the sandbox I won't be underpowered for it.

Beth Cyra

I think you have to make a story save first before you can make a sandbox one. But as soon as you've saved you can ignore the story and start a sandbox game.

If anything I'd advise levelling up in sandbox and then tackling the story because the base skills and inventory slots suck with the time limit.

EDIT- Also in sandbox you have the time to get combo cards and fuck around without constantly chasing after annoying survivors.

I only got the original, is there any good mods for these two? I looked a bit but didn't really see anything.

Acorn

Yeah, that was my issue with the first Dead Rising. As I understand it sandbox mode in Off The Record kills the time limit and just gives you a bunch of challenges. I want to know if I go straight into the sandbox I won't be underpowered for it.

Nah, you'll be fine. I started in sandbox from level 5 and I'm level 10 now not died once.

Xanathus

You might be under-powered for some of the middle/end challenges but playing sandbox before the main game is for you to learn the map and world freely. You won't really be underpowered just running around since the zombies are all weak-ass shit.

feel

Just saw this on Twitter.

StP34oA.jpg

Nice.
Any HB is an insta-purchase. <3

Just youtubed those 2 games, both seem nice. Hopefully the majority of the rest of the lineup are also good games I don't know about or have.

Blizzard

Banned
I hope by that you mean gameplay-wise, and not in terms of unlikable characters.
The characters are quite well done in my opinion. Voice acting and writing are some of the best parts. There's a good bit of language but it's basically just when the anonymous enemies say "somebody kill that sumbitch" or the narrator says "these assholes ambushed me" in a cowboy drawl. There might be a "cocksucker" thrown in occasionally, but only by the enemies and not the plot characters.

I'm immune to your dick-killing...

Nathan Grayson's toolish personality and dick-killing profanity aside, it was kind of a fun game as far as the skillshot mechanics. So hopefully CoJ:G has something similar? Why so cheap though? I'm sort of suspicious of the budget pricing...what corners were cut?

Edit: er, Grayson Hunt I mean. I think Nathan Grayson is a writer for RPS
There are a ton of people on the credits so I'm really not sure what sort of budget Gunslinger had. I will say that it very much seems polished though. I'm on like 1.5+ playthrough 10 hours in, and I'm still not sure I've encountered any bugs. I got maybe stuck for a moment once or twice on terrain, but was able to just hop or move to get out of it.

I think some of the main things they did to keep the cost down were keep the length short (5 hours or less for a normal playthrough, not counting arcade, new game+ on hard, new game+ on true west), not animate character faces when they talked, and use 2D pan/zoom drawn art cutscenes instead of 3D cutscenes. Oh, and there are probably a lot of reused models throughout the levels, some possibly from previous games, though I still felt like the variety was good.

I don't mean to overdefend the game since I know I've probably posted too much by now. I'm just trying to answer questions about it since for once I actually finished something. :p

It's really easy to overpower yourself for the campaign by spending time having more fun in the sandbox mode.

Grief.exe

What does happen if steam removes a game from its service can you not download it from your library anymore ?

They just aren't able to sell the licence any longer. People who have already purchased the license will still see the game in their library and be able to download and play it.

Its unfortunate that Steam doesn't have any communication with us to let us know it is going to happen or why it happened.
It would obviously have to be a case by case basis.

Nice deal.
I'd have to put an optical drive into my PC though.

:(

Optical Drive? Haven't put one of those in my builds in years lol.

They reported the removal of XIII.

"4:39 AM - 29 Dec 12 @GOGcom XIII will be removed from our catalog (stays in your account) in 2 days. Last chance to buy it for $2.99"

I am not sure if there was an announcement for recent removal of Cryostasis or the removal of the Dark Fall games last month though.

EDIT: Apparently no notice was given for the Dark Fall games. They did officially apologize for it though.

The reason for the removal.

Really sad if what happened to the guy who created Dark Fall.

Very disappointed in GOG, the game download website. They have been selling my Dark Fall games and refuse to acknowledge me as the creator and copyright owner.

I still own the copyright on games called 'Dark Fall', but they insist some crooks called Nordic Games own them. Nordic say they bought them from Dreamcatcher, which simply isn't true. Dreamcatcher were issued a Cease and Desist years ago! Also, Nordic and GOG have failed to pay any royalties or provide sales figures.

It's very depressing. And, if I can't get paid what I am due, for my work, there is no point making games. It's a real shame, but I'm not sure I want to go through all this every time I make a game. It is soul destroying and makes me feel like I have wasted my time and provided plenty if cash for greedy suits with no morals or honesty.

If you have bought my games from GOG (Dark Fall retails at $5.99!!!) then I am sorry to report that not a cent actually made it to me; the only person credited in making the games.

Game people: anyone got any advice for me?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Honestly didn't try online, was just playing SP and splitscreen with my children. Still can't believe how amazing that game looks on 360, I bet it's sex on PC.

Long live Bizarre.

Heh yeah, it's very pretty and manages to be perfectly readable despite all the chaos that would happen on screen. Got so much hate mail on XBL from my purple Ford F150 Raptor crushing their skulls and gettin first places.

Haters are welcomed. Damn, I miss Blur.

FloatOn

Blur is pretty good and I'm glad to have it on my steam account but Sonic Racing Transformed crushes every power up racing game thus far. I'm curious how Mario kart on wii u will stack up against it.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm beating myself up for not getting The Last Remnant for cheap. I was on vacation and bookmarked it to come back to later to buy. Totally forgot about it :(

Anyway, which Thief game is the best? Been wanting to play them for a while now.

I'm beating myself up for not getting The Last Remnant for cheap. I was on vacation and bookmarked it to come back to later to buy. Totally forgot about it :(

Anyway, which Thief game is the best? Been wanting to play them for a while now.

Thief 2.

You should play them all eventually though.

Grief.exe

Found a forum thread that lists all of the games that have been removed from Steam.

I would definitely pick up Indigo Prophecy, great game. Same people are behind Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls.
Indigo Prophecy is still available on GOG under the name Fahrenheit.

EDIT: emailing Quantic Dream right now.

Wolfenstein, I have heard this is a pretty solid game and worth a playthrough. Tough to find now.

Luckily, I have Riddick, but it is still available on GOG for those who don't.

Prey should be coming in the mail.

Neverwinter Nights 2 would be awesome to playthrough again, I still have the CDs actually.

2XL Supercross
4x4 Hummer
007 Legends
1701 A.D.: Gold Edition
1701 A.D.: Sunken Dragon
Achtung Panzer - Kharkov 1943
A Farewell to Dragons
Agatha Christie: And then there were None
Agatha Christie: Evil under the Sun
Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures
Age of Conan: Rise of the Godslayer
Aion Collectors Edition
Alien Shooter: Vengeance
All Points Bulletin (replaced by APB Reloaded)
Ancient Wars: Sparta
Anno 1404
Anno 1404: Venice
Ashes Cricket 2009
Atari: 80 Classic Games in One!
Attack on Pearl Harbor
Baseball Mogul 2008
Baseball Mogul 2009
Batman: Arkham Asylum (superseded by Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition)
Batman: Arkham City (superseded by Batman: Arkham City - Game of the Year Edition)
BattleForge
Battleship
Beijing 2008
Big Kahuna Reef
Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition
Blur
Boggle
BREACH
Brian Lara International Cricket 2007
Chessmaster Challenge
Chessmaster: Grandmaster Edition
Cities XL - Regular Edition
Cities XL - Limited Edition
Cities XL 2012
City of Heroes: Architect Edition
City of Heroes: Going Rogue
City Life
City Life Deluxe
Classic Car Racing
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Commandos: Strike Force
Crasher
Crimecraft: BLEEDOUT
CrimeCraft: Premium Edition
Crimecraft: Standard Edition
Cryostasis
Crysis 2 (superseded by Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition)
Dawn of Discovery
Dawn of Discovery - Venice
Demolition Company
Descent: FreeSpace - The Great War
DiRT
Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga (superseded by Divinity II: Developer's Cut)
Dragon Age II
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
Empires: Dawn of the Modern World
Emergency 2012
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Engine Driver: Drive a Steam Train
EverQuest: House of Thule
EverQuest: Secrets of Faydwer
EverQuest: Seeds of Destruction
EverQuest: Underfoot
EverQuest: Underfoot - Raging Mercenaries
EverQuest II: Rise of Kunark
EverQuest II: Sentinel's Fate
EverQuest II: The Shadow Odyssey
Fairway Solitaire
Family Feud
Family Feud 2
Family Feud 3: Dream Home
Family Feud 4
Fetch It Again
FIFA Manager 09
FIFA Manager 10
FIFA Manager 11
FINAL FANTASY XI (superseded by FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition)
FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection - Abyssea Edition (superseded by FINAL FANTASY® XI: Ultimate Collection - Seekers Edition)
Football Manager 2008
Football Manager 2009
Football Manager 2010
Football Manager 2011
Football Manager 2012
Football Manager Live
Fray: Reloaded Edition [2013]
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Full Pipe
Full Spectrum Warrior
Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
Futbol Manager 2008
Gemsweeper
Ghostbusters: The Video Game
GM Rally
The Godfather 2
Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising
Gotham City Impostors (replaced by Gotham City Impostors Free to Play)
Grey's Anatomy: The Video Game
GTI Racing
Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm
Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge
Horrid Henry
i'm not alone
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Indigo Prophecy
Infernal
Iron Man
James Bond: Blood Stone
James Cameron&#8217;s Avatar: The Game
John Deere: Drive Green
Jojo's Fashion Show
Jojo's Fashion Show 2
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Legends of Pegasus
Lineage
Lineage II: The Chaotic Throne
Lost: Via Domus
Mafia
Miss Popularity
Money Tree
MotoGP 08
MotorM4X: Offroad Extreme
Neopets: Puzzle Adventure
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Officers: World War II
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Pacific Fighters
Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets
Paws & Claws: Pet School
Paws & Claws: Pet Vet
Penguins' Journey
Pirates of the Burning Sea
Portal 2 Sixense MotionPack DLC [2013]
Prey
Pride of Nations
Puzzlegeddon
Quantum of Solace
Raven Squad
Red Bull X-Fighters [2013]
Ricochet: Lost Worlds
Ricochet Infinity
Rise of Prussia
Risk
Risk II
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (superseded by Sacred 2 Gold)
Saw
Second Sight
Sega Rally
SEGA Rally Revo
Shattered Horizon: Arconauts
Shattered Suns
Shaun White Snowboarding
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (superseded by Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition)
Shrek Forever After [May 2013]
Sid Meier's Railroads!
Simplz Zoo
Smashing Toys
Soldier of Fortune: Payback
Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
Space Rangers
Space Rangers 2: Reboot
Speedball 2: Tournament
SpellForce 2: Dragon Storm / SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars (superseded by Spellforce 2: Gold Edition)
Stalin vs. Martians
Stargate Resistance
Star Wars Galaxies
Stronghold Crusader Extreme (superseded by The Stronghold Collection)
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse
Supreme Ruler 2020: Gold
Sword of the Stars / Sword of the Stars: Argos Naval Yard Expansion (superseded by Sword of the Stars: Complete Collection)
Take Command: Second Manassas
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (aka: TMNT The Video Game)
Terminator Salvation
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena [April 2013]
The Godfather
The Golden Compass
The History Channel: Battle for the Pacific
The History Channel: Civil War - A Nation Divided
The Incredible Hulk: The Official Videogame
The Movies / The Movies: Stunts and Effects
The Office
The Scourge Project: Episode 1 and 2
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom (superseded by The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - Deluxe Gold Edition)
The Settlers: Rise of an Empire (superseded by The Settlers: Rise Of An Empire Gold Edition)
The War Z (returned 27/02/2013)
ToCA Race Driver 3
Top Spin 2
Trainz 2009: Railroad Simulator
Trainz Classics: 1st & 2nd Edition
Trainz Classics: Volume 3
Trainz Simulator 2010: Engineers Edition
Transcripted
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Two Worlds (superseded by Two Worlds Epic Edition)
UFO: Afterlight
Vancouver 2010: The Official Video Game of the Olympic Winter Games
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning [2013]
Wheelman
Wik and the Fable of Souls
Wild Metal Country
Wolfenstein [2012]
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2008
Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009
Xpand Rally
Zombie Driver (superseded by Zombie Driver HD) [2012]
Zuma's Revenge! - Adventure

Source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3071895

Bluth54

There's actually a few games on that list that I want :( How was Godfather 2?

I loved the Godfather 2 on Xbox 360. One of my favorite open world games. I didn't buy it for a long time because I wanted a Wii version since the Wii version of the Godfather was really good. When I finally got around to getting it they didn't sell it on Steam anymore. I assume EA lost the license to sell the Godfather games.

I also wish I would of gotten The Movies on steam. I managed to get everything else I'm interested in that was de-listed.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Found a forum thread that lists all of the games that have been removed from Steam.

42 for me if you really want to count Family Feud as four (it is four entries, I guess--thanks Baha, best gift ever). I don't have any of the Football Managers like Jase. :(

Of those I don't have I'd like to have Wik, Anno, Indigo Prophecy and even Dragon Age II (lol).

Is there a thread for which on the list are Steamworks or have keys floating around? I know the Football Managers do because of Jase.

Blood Stone isn't on Steam? God dammit, I wanted to play that someday.

Speaking of which, I have 20 bucks Steam credit right now. What should I grab? Call of Juarez Gunslinger, or something else?

Grief.exe

Blood Stone isn't on Steam? God dammit, I wanted to play that someday.

Speaking of which, I have 20 bucks Steam credit right now. What should I grab? Call of Juarez Gunslinger, or something else?

Dust is the game to get right now.

42 for me if you really want to count Family Feud as four (it is four entries, I guess--thanks Baha, best gift ever). I don't have any of the Football Managers like Jase. :(

Of those I don't have I'd like to have Wik, Anno, Indigo Prophecy and even Dragon Age II (lol).

Is there a thread for which on the list are Steamworks or have keys floating around? I know the Football Managers do because of Jase.

Retail Games: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Steamworks games: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1712878

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks. I can never make heads or tails of some of those Steamworks lists though; I've had people tell me time and time again x game on there isn't always Steamworks, or only just has "features" of Steamworks, only at certain retailers etc.

Yeah, in some cases the situation is muddy. FEAR 2 is listed on the retail CD key list, for example, however GamersGate's keys won't activate. I also tried my luck with purchasing GTI Racing from the Meridian4 store the other week but, again, the key was in the wrong format.

Grief.exe

Thanks. I can never make heads or tails of some of those Steamworks lists though; I've had people tell me time and time again x game on there isn't always Steamworks, or only just has "features" of Steamworks, only at certain retailers etc.

Steamworks means it will activate on Steam from Retail and other Digital Download locations.

Games can have Steamworks features though and not be a Steamworks game. Things like Steam Cloud, Achivements, etc are considered Steamworks features.

Witcher 2 and Max Payne 3 are great examples of this. Games have Steamworks features, but will not activate on Steam when bought outside of Steam.

Amazon and Green Man Gaming have started purchasing and selling Steam keys so that partially rectifies this issue. They will sell games that aren't Steamworks, but will still activate on Steam.

Can get really confusing.

I'm seriously weirded out seeing it at the top of the charts :p It's been a very surreal weekend.

PC gamers know how to find great games.

Doesn't matter how small its origins.

SparkTR

I'm seriously weirded out seeing it at the top of the charts :p It's been a very surreal weekend.

I've never really seen a game do that before. They usually have their 15 minutes at the top before receding down until its on sale. Dust had its 15 minutes and went down, then went back up again before going down, and now it's back up there for a third time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom