• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

42 for me if you really want to count Family Feud as four (it is four entries, I guess--thanks Baha, best gift ever). I don't have any of the Football Managers like Jase. :(

Of those I don't have I'd like to have Wik, Anno, Indigo Prophecy and even Dragon Age II (lol).

Is there a thread for which on the list are Steamworks or have keys floating around? I know the Football Managers do because of Jase.

I made a series of posts about this a few months back where I was awaiting 3 games in the mail, games no longer on steam which I theorized would redeem on steam. Games that are not listed on the retail keys list

the 3 games were

- 007 Legends
- Legends of Pegasus
- Saw: The video game

(and the Football Manager games which JaseC was collecting which sparked my interest.)

007 Legends (available on Nuuvem or retail) and Legends of Pegasus (I'm only aware of retail at the moment) redeemed on steam no problem. I still think that Saw will redeem but my copy did not come with a code so I could not test this.

Someone already posted the link to the thread about steamworks games. I used these lists to compare against games that no longer existed on steam and emerged with those 3(6). I've likely overlooked one or two but my inital conclusion was the 3 I listed and the results noted.

(bonus was Disciples: Reincarnation - not available on steam, only through Gamersgate. And Space Rangers. Not available on steam, but can be bought on the Indie Gala Store not there any more it seems)

Depends on how unfair the game is.

Heh, it not only fucks you over by cheating, but it lets you play for hours and hours after the point in time in which you are completely fucked without telling you.

In that regard, it still holds up great ;)

It (terror from the deep especially) is still worth a bit of a play, but only if you either want to invest heavily into it, or just want to get kicked in the balls.

gragy10

Finally making Steam back log headway after completing LA Noire.
Deciding between DX: HR & Dishonored next - which would the Hivemind recommend?

Deques

I got three guest passes for Shattered Horizon. Anyone want them? Please anyone? I even give you two guest passes if you want one

Dust is such a good game. I am loving it so far.

I looks fantastic. I can't wait to pick it up somewhere down the line.

I'm playing through stacking at the moment, it's cool I guess. I'm having the same problem I had with Costume Quest, it's a game that feels like it was designed by an artist or maybe an adventure game designer rather than a video game designer.

You have these really cool characters who can manipulate the world and other characters in funny and interesting ways but then the solutions to the puzzles seem so static and prescribed that I'm using adventure game logic rather than video game logic to solve them. It's still fun coming up with the solutions but every now and then I come up with a solution that I think should work according to the rule set that's given to the world, but it doesn't because a designer didn't program it in. It's just frustrating.

I think I'm more accepting of this in a point and click adventure game because there's way less implied agency to the player. You can't mess around in Monkey Island in the same way you can in an open game like Stacking. That said, I think it is a better game than costume quest which sort of showed off it's gameplay-hand in the first five minutes and relied on art and charm to carry it through the next four or five.

FloatOn

Hey Thief fans, what's the point of the new one when we have a game like Dishonored?

I've never played Thief but this is so damn good. Best 15 dollars I've spent in a long time.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Hey Thief fans, what's the point of the new one when we have a game like Dishonored?

I've never played Thief but this is so damn good. Best 15 dollars I've spent in a long time.
Dishonored isn't a stealth game, just a game with stealth mechanics.

Although who knows how action oriented the new Thief will be.

FloatOn

Dishonored isn't a stealth game, just a game with stealth mechanics.

Although who knows how action oriented the new Thief will be.

The great thing about Dishonored is that it gives you the option for it to be a stealth game and even rewards you for being a "ghost" but if you choose to go crazy and just slice everything to bits you are well equipped to do that too.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Because considering how rudimentary the stealth mechanics are in Dishonored we're pretty much talking about two different genres. Dishonored is a good game, but not a good stealth game. I think I'd rather put ice picks under my fingernails than do a full stealth playthrough.

FloatOn

Because considering how rudimentary the stealth mechanics are in Dishonored we're pretty much talking about two different genres. Dishonored is a good game, but not a good stealth game. I think I'd rather put ice picks under my fingernails than do a full stealth playthrough.

I think the enemy AI is pretty forgiving but I'm playing on normal. I would imagine on a higher difficulty this wouldn't be the case. I could be wrong though.

I think doing a stealth playthrough could be fun, just doing the powers and sleep darts could make things very interesting.

Chronoja

that hyperbole lol. The stealth isn't amazing but it's hardly "so bad I'd rather endure physical pain". The only problem with the stealth is that it's never really sure how and when enemies will see you since shadows don't mask you so securely, but it's strong enough that you can creep around, above and behind enemies all day and they wouldn't even know.

I did my first playthrough as a "no kill, never spotted" run and it wasn't that bad at all. The only thing I found annoying is that so many of the the games alerts, the violin shrieks and shrills blend into the background noise a lot so there were times I was unsure if I had been spotted and reloaded just to be cautious.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Derrick is that you??!

Dishonored wasn't shit as a stealth game, but it certainly wasn't good. Far too simple stealth gameplay, even hitman absolution is a better stealth game.

FloatOn

Dishonored wasn't shit as a stealth game, but it certainly wasn't good. Far too simple stealth gameplay, even hitman absolution is a better stealth game.

ugh. hitman absolution was awful.

I could only last 2 hours in that stupid game. It punished you so hard if you were anything less than perfect in terms of stealth. And that game was so busy with all of the civilians running around it was hard to tell who was a guard and who wasn't.

At first with Hitman Absolution I was like "Yeah, finally, an accessible Hitman!" then after a couple of hours I was like "satan take this game to the arsehole of the pit"

FloatOn

At first with Hitman Absolution I was like "Yeah, finally, an accessible Hitman!" then after a couple of hours I was like "satan take this game to the arsehole of the pit"

lol, exactly. it's kind of like LA Noire in that it LOOKS good and has good ideas but in the end it's just a chore to play.

Forkball

The new Crusader Kings II DLC, The Old Gods is up on Steam if you search. You can play as the Vikings, a new 867 start date, and be a pagan. You know you want it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike

lol, exactly. it's kind of like LA Noire in that it LOOKS good and has good ideas but in the end it's just a chore to play.

My thoughts exactly. I got it for $10 and thought "man, even if the game sucks the graphics alone makes this a good deal" but nope, I gave up after a few hours.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Derrick is that you??!

Yes. I evolved to waiting until I've actually played a game to hate on it, and thus needed a new identity.

Dishonored is a great game and I've always said as much though; I just answered his question in the context of, "Why we need Thief?"

FloatOn

Yes. I evolved to waiting until I've actually played a game to hate on it, and thus needed a new identity.

Dishonored is a great game and I've always said as much though; I just answered his question in the context of, "Why we need Thief?"

So Thief is more hardcore in the sense of... if you get spotted you're fucked?

I guess I can see how that's more rewarding. I think seeing all those negative thousands of points in Hitman Absolution were what really put me off that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom