• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
COD games actually hold their value pretty nicely and unlike other games you do not need to worry about seeing a price collapse 5 minutes after you paid full price.

crozier

Man, I just beat Borderlands 2 and really want the DLC but $30 would get me so many games right now. X-COM, Tomb Raider, L.A. Noire Complete...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Of course it will. The question is "By how much?"
(History suggests 15-25%.)

Activision has gotten slightly better about sales, too.

I mean, not by a lot, but they technically moved in a positive direction, sorta.

Man, I just beat Borderlands 2 and really want the DLC but $30 would get me so many games right now. X-COM, Tomb Raider, L.A. Noire Complete...

avoid LA Noire. It's boring and the end isn't worth the time investment. The best part are the first missions where you discover the concept and the first investigation. After that the gameplay and mechanics never renew it self and the writing fail to unfold a good story. Try it at ground price but go for Xcom right now. Wait for the summer sales to get BL2 DLC. Scarlet Booty is amazing so as Torgue Campagne or Carange. Hammerlock's Hunt is a bit of a deception. But we have great great hopes for the last one, coming June 25th)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want Acti to bump up the price of Modern Warfare 3 on Steam AU so every Call of Duty game from Modern Warfare 2 up to and including Ghosts is $90.

Edit: To clarify, MW3 is $40 -- the same as Steam US -- for some reason.

Activision has gotten slightly better about sales, too.

I mean, not by a lot, but they technically moved in a positive direction, sorta.

It's also gotten better about the Aussie Tax in a few isolated cases.

Acorn

I liked LA Noire, it wasn't great but it was decent enough. The problem I had was I worked out who the main guy was gonna be like halfway through so it just felt like a drag from there onwards as It wouldn't let me finger them until the story had caught up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
LA Noire was great if only for intentionally fucking up everything by making Cole out to be the biggest nutcase on the force.

FUCK YOU YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT, TELL ME THE TRUTH OR I WILL FIND OUT AND WHEN COLE GETS UPSET MOTHERFUCKERS GET FUCKED.

Acorn

LA Noire was great if only for intentionally fucking up everything by making Cole out to be the biggest nutcase on the force.

FUCK YOU YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT, TELL ME THE TRUTH OR I WILL FIND OUT AND WHEN COLE GETS UPSET MOTHERFUCKERS GET FUCKED.

lol Yeah, also the dialogue choices were unclear. I'd often end up saying something I hadn't intended to say.

My main problem with LA Noire, aside from the largely pointless open world (and I grew up in the Hollywood area so I even get that bonus kick of seeing recreations of some landmarks), is that the writer/designer felt some ridiculous need to incorporate every element of the genre/period into one game and it draaaaaaaaaaaaags the pacing down, and even then it still failed to convey major plot points for the character. If I could rebuild the game I'd do the following:

- The entire WW2 section should be at the front. The piecemeal approach to revealing Jimmy Good Cop's past mostly winds up hurting the game because it doesn't do a good job of explaining his rigid 50s era behavior. If I have to play a game as an asshole then explaining why he's an asshole at the beginning at least keeps me kinda invested in him.

- Stop hiding major plot background in the collectible newspapers. When I finished and had seen enough (because I'm a sucker for collectibles) I was pretty surprised how important those were to the story.

- The nearly total lack of buildup to the
adultery.
It's so seemingly out of character when it happens.

- The Homicide desk should have ended the game, or been scattered throughout. Having such a major historic climax be the midpoint was just weird. They could have even pulled something of a Chinatown ending with it but since it's in the middle, nope.

Sober

My main problem with LA Noire, aside from the largely pointless open world (and I grew up in the Hollywood area so I even get that bonus kick of seeing recreations of some landmarks), is that the writer/designer felt some ridiculous need to incorporate every element of the genre/period into one game and it draaaaaaaaaaaaags the pacing down, and even then it still failed to convey major plot points for the character. If I could rebuild the game I'd do the following:

- The entire WW2 section should be at the front. The piecemeal approach to revealing Jimmy Good Cop's past mostly winds up hurting the game because it doesn't do a good job of explaining his rigid 50s era behavior. If I have to play a game as an asshole then explaining why he's an asshole at the beginning at least keeps me kinda invested in him.

- Stop hiding major plot background in the collectible newspapers. When I finished and had seen enough (because I'm a sucker for collectibles) I was pretty surprised how important those were to the story.

- The nearly total lack of buildup to the
adultery.
It's so seemingly out of character when it happens.

- The Homicide desk should have ended the game, or been scattered throughout. Having such a major historic climax be the midpoint was just weird. They could have even pulled something of a Chinatown ending with it but since it's in the middle, nope.
-The WW2 stuff was okay but I guess it was all built a piecemealed out
because of Ira and keeping his identity a secret.
It was also done fine to keep the details of the
morphine heist from the player
but I agree there were a few scenes that they show which really didn't show anything important except "hey remember WW2 and the pacific front?" There must've been 3 or 4 sequences where Cole might've been in them but either he had no lines plus Kelso had no lines and nothing important happened.

-The newspapers weren't that bad, I only ever missed the first one on patrol. The rest of the collectables and sidequests were crappy though, but I kinda wish they somehow segued the newspaper plot without requiring the newspaper to be collected somehow (intermission during a case I guess, since they at first seem innocuous but then clearly are very important)

-Agreed

-"I want to make homicide, you know you've made it when you get that desk". I agree, homicide was the most fun
even if they ruined all that effort of painting suspects by having the BD Killer be the real one doing it all
, which is why I enjoyed Traffic a lot because they did happen to mostly be one-off cases. The homicide ones were good as one-offs up until the end of course. Vice also had good DLC cases because it wasn't completely main story related. The arson DLC case was odd though.

crozier

Well, $5 was just spent on Lord of the Rings: War in the North.

Awesome game. Didn't do so well critically, but I played the hell out of it on the 360. Easily the best Diablo-ish console release this gen. Hopefully there will be some peeps online tomorrow.

I love (and miss :/ ) Snowblind Studios.

KarmaCow

So does Thomas Was Alone's puzzles ever really use the real time switching? I just encountered it in the puzzle with the blue square and red rectangle (2.4 I think). I wasn't planning on playing that long but I got caught up in it.

Also, I was not expecting there to be a story with it. I was listening to a podcast while playing it and only noticed the text wasn't tutorial stuff but narration about half way through world 1. That's kinda weird, though thankfully you can turn off the voice over independently of the music and sound effects.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Amazon sales for today have started. Prices just switched over. A couple haven't switched over yet and some titles say unavailable, but they just haven't went up yet--don't panic.

Here are the new deals again for the half-pagers:

5/29-5/31

Smash88

Banned
I bought the Humble Bundle. So uh, are any of these games good (besides Hotline Miami which I already own).

Little Inferno. Awesomenauts. And possibly Thomas Was Alone. I can't really speak of others.

I gave away my Thomas Was Alone key earlier (didn't think I would be this interested in it), saw a couple of gameplay vids, and now I'm missing out. Hopefully it will go on a Steam sale soon.

How are people getting cards/exp? Where are people seeing them?
It's in the badges section for cards. Potential drop is listed there. Usually it's half of the set. Exp is earned with all badges. The newer badges can be leveled up. There are also foil badges. The badges themselves don't look foil though.

Awesome game. Didn't do so well critically, but I played the hell out of it on the 360. Easily the best Diablo-ish console release this gen. Hopefully there will be some peeps online tomorrow.

Where did you get it for $5? Is is even worth that much?

Awesome? I played the PS3 version coop when I got it through PS+, and I thought it was horrible, just horrible, in about every aspect. The dialogues were painful, and the levels were just copy&paste design where you either got locked behind the gates or place beside a balista every other second.

Where did you get it for $5? Is is even worth that much?

I wouldn't even accept it for free, if the PC versions isn't much much better then the console versions. :) It's a 5/10 game at best.

I'm interested in Max Payne 3 so if anyone is interested in GTA IV Complete or LA Noire we could share the Max Payne 3 + Grand Theft Auto IV + L.A. Noire Bundle.

robotnik

I have a few leftover keys:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Splice
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Offspring Fling
Little Inferno

First quote.

And someone gift me Proteus, please -_-

I wouldn't even accept it for free, if the PC versions isn't much much better then the console versions. :) It's a 5/10 game at best.

I got the PC version for like $3.50 during some sale from greenmangaming. So could wait for lower.

I respect the guys opinion and am really happy that he enjoyed it because after all that is what gaming is all about and it can be a wonderful thing. But really it is complete and utter garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom