• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

Nah, I played To the Moon in 3 sittings and it still moved me a lot. Great game experience, and beautiful music.
Out of all of the non-game games I've played (30 Flights of Loving, Dear Esther, Proteus, etc), I think To The Moon was the only one that really felt like a satisfying experience to me, from an emotional perspective.

jediyoshi

Check out the $10 Sega Fun Pack currently on sale on Amazon.
  • Hell Yeah
  • Hell Yeah! Pimp my Rabbit
  • Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Nights in Dreams
  • Renegade Ops Coldstrike Campaign
  • Renegade Ops Reinforcement Pack
  • Renegade Ops
  • The Cave

i saw but i own everything aside from nights and the cave, and i have a $5 credit just sitting on my acccount. a bit sad since i wouldn't peg everything else as $2.50 with the cave alone going for $7ish

Check out the $10 Sega Fun Pack currently on sale on Amazon.
  • Hell Yeah
  • Hell Yeah! Pimp my Rabbit
  • Hell Yeah! Virtual Rabbit Missions
  • Jet Set Radio
  • Nights in Dreams
  • Renegade Ops Coldstrike Campaign
  • Renegade Ops Reinforcement Pack
  • Renegade Ops
  • The Cave

Does The Cave and Nights activate on Steam? Those are the only two from that list that I need.

Caerith

As much as I enjoyed some of the earlier meta games they did end up easy to abuse. As Grief says though what with the whole Trading Cards hooplah, when it opens up it kind of makes itself. Plus what with the Marketplace you can get more than just some nick nacks, dlc or coal for your hard work.
Coal was abusable and abused because it could be traded and crafted into things that could be traded, and we live in a world where people (I use the term loosely) openly lament the $1 minimum on humble bundles.

Was Summer Camp abused or abusable? The redeemed items went straight to your account, IIRC, so there really was no incentive to make multiple accounts. Plus they still did stories back then.

cicero

As much as I enjoyed some of the earlier meta games they did end up easy to abuse. As Grief says though what with the whole Trading Cards hooplah, when it opens up it kind of makes itself. Plus what with the Marketplace you can get more than just some nick nacks, dlc or coal for your hard work.

I don't remember the Summer Camp in 2011 being abused. I thought that was great even though all I got were "knick-knacks". I actually played so many games I never had before, bought several games just to compete with friends, and was overjoyed to get rewards like the four cheap map packs for Defense Grid for free after earning tickets. No one was expecting free AAA titles, fun was had by all, I bought games just because of the competition and achievement aspect of the promotion, and overall the Steam sale was promoted. Everyone won.

Digoman

Yup. If you think this game is fantastic, you're wrong. It's much better than that.

Also going to highly recommend Thomas was Alone. Great (little) game with a lot of charm.

So... quote this post to grab a key :)

Thomas was Alone key (gone)

And to complete the leftovers of the bundle, also a key for:

Dear Esther key (also gone)
(haven't "played" it, can't comment)

Annnnd... can someone invite me to Steam GAF group please? Thanks!

EDIT:
That was fast, thanks for invite!
I took Thomas Was Alone. Thank you!
Enjoy. It's amazing what it accomplishes with such a simple style.

Sianos

Also going to highly recommend Thomas was Alone. Great (little) game with a lot of charm.

So... quote this post to grab a key :)

Thomas was Alone key (gone)

And to complete the leftovers of the bundle, also a key for:

Dear Esther key

(haven't "played" it, can't comment)

Annnnd... can someone invite me to Steam GAF group please? Thanks!

EDIT:
That was fast, thanks for invite!

Enjoy. It's amazing what it accomplishes with such a simple style.
I took Dear Esther. Thank you!

Dr Dogg

Coal was abusable and abused because it could be traded and crafted into things that could be traded, and we live in a world where people (I use the term loosely) openly lament the $1 minimum on humble bundles.

Was Summer Camp abused or abusable? The redeemed items went straight to your account, IIRC, so there really was no incentive to make multiple accounts. Plus they still did stories back then.

I don't remember the Summer Camp in 2011 being abused. I thought that was great even though all I got were "knick-knacks". I actually played so many games I never had before, bought several games just to compete with friends, and was overjoyed to get rewards like the four cheap map packs for Defense Grid for free after earning tickets. No one was expecting free AAA titles, fun was had by all, I bought games just because of the competition and achievement aspect of the promotion, and overall the Steam sale was promoted. Everyone won.

D'oh. That'll teach me for not thinking back before making a spurious claim.

Summer Camp 2011 was pretty much impossible to as trading wasn't around then and you only got tickets which you had to redeem. Still got the TF2 Summer Shades and Portal 2 Goggles and you can't even trade them. Granted might have been a little hasty with my claim but the Great Gift Pile of 2011 pretty much had people buying Humble Bundles and Coal farming like crazy. Others were sharing save files to easily unlock achievements and all because the rewards were free games.

I'll admit though Summer Camp was probably the meta game I had the most fun with, that or the Potato Sack. Ended up playing a lot of games I would never have given a second glance. I hope the same can be said for this whole Trading Cards melarky.

JakeD

i saw but i own everything aside from nights and the cave, and i have a $5 credit just sitting on my acccount. a bit sad since i wouldn't peg everything else as $2.50 with the cave alone going for $7ish

all the sega sales from the first day will be repeated on the 31st, i'd assume the cave for $5 is included in that

crozier

Gawd, a three-man team for LotR:WN and we couldn't manage the co-op kill achievement in almost three hours. Someone isn't playing right....

$5 is a steal, btw. Not the greatest port in the world but I love this game to death. As close as we'll probably ever get to Champions of Norrath again.

cicero

I'll admit though Summer Camp was probably the meta game I had the most fun with, that or the Potato Sack. Ended up playing a lot of games I would never have given a second glance. I hope the same can be said for this whole Trading Cards melarky.

I would love to see another Summer Camp like that one. But it certainly seemed like there was a whole lot of effort put into it, and I pretty much assume now that Valve did not see a large enough positive beneficial aspect to that effort or they probably would have continued it or reverted back to it after the whole coal debacle.

So give it to me straight people of the Steam thread whose opinions I might value, what's good of the HB8 stuff? I already have Hotline Miami and have some familiarity of Dear Esther, but the rest is unknown to me.

Drake

I'm trying to buy Crusader Kings 2, but when I click on the button to purchase it nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Addnan

I'm trying to buy Crusader Kings 2, but when I click on the button to purchase it nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

Try buying through a browser.

edit: weird, not working for me either. Not working with any games right now it seems.

PriitV

So give it to me straight people of the Steam thread whose opinions I might value, what's good of the HB8 stuff? I already have Hotline Miami and have some familiarity of Dear Esther, but the rest is unknown to me.

Thomas was alone, get in your game/movie mood and just play it.

If you're waffling on Proteus than you're only looking at a $1. Any time spent thinking about this purchase is time wasted, just buy it. To put your mind at ease though Awesomenauts alone is worth it.

Steam key? I'm in the UK, could I still buy it?

It's a steam key. I'm in the UK too, all you need to do is use an American billing address for your UK debit/credit card. It works perfectly fine, use Google's California HQ for example. You can even use your UK Amazon account.

Hell Yeah!

Jet Set Radio

Renegade Ops

Renegade Ops: Cold Strike Campaign

Renegade Ops: Reinforcement Pack

Quote to reveal and don't forget to post the one you use. If you take Renegade Ops, feel free to grab the DLC too. Enjoy!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Out of all of the non-game games I've played (30 Flights of Loving, Dear Esther, Proteus, etc), I think To The Moon was the only one that really felt like a satisfying experience to me, from an emotional perspective.
I've yet to play the other 3 games you mentioned. Got Dear Esther and Proteus from the latest Humble Bundle (the latter as a gift), so I'll play them (soon, I hope).

I'm interested in 30 Flights of Loving, but not enough as to pay $2.50 for a 15 minutes game.

Hell Yeah!

Jet Set Radio

Renegade Ops

Quote to reveal and don't forget to post the one you use. If you take Renegade Ops, feel free to grab the DLC too. Enjoy!

Grabbed Hell Yeah, thanks! :D

Btw, I just beat Thomas Was Alone in one sitting. Game is good, guys, and I got all cheevos under 3 hours. Give it a try!

sprinkles

Amazon. $3.75
Everyone buy this. I just finished it on New Game+ and I normally do not replay single player games at all. It just hits all the right spots with me - art style, controls, gameplay, tools and the story is not that bad at all for a ninja game.

calyx

Hell Yeah!

Jet Set Radio

Renegade Ops

I just grabbed one of the Renegade Ops: Cold Strike Campaign codes. Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom