• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Everything.

tumblr_m1930ks6Go1qbpn3g.gif

fixed

sorry, couldn't help it

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For the ladder, if it's the one I'm thinking of:
It may only be possible on easy/normal difficulty. If you're fast and jump onto the ladder, you have a chance of making it to the top before you're dead. I'm not sure if the route matters so there's a delay before you get shot.

For the ending:
On easy or normal, you can circle the whole room until the servers are dead, vault up on the middle platform using one of the speedboost steps just below it, and race upstairs right past the heavy machine gunner.

Before the ending, there was an area I got stuck in forever. I even got into making custom maps before I managed to get through it:
The big blue room with respawning guards. The second wave is even tougher, and I kept trying to kill them all. I think I finally succeeded in killing/disarming everyone, and finished the game. But after that, I found out or someone told me that you can just run along the right side of the level, and finish that room really easily without touching anyone.
Nice, I'll try this next time I replay the game. I don't remember which area are you referring to in the last part, actually.

And there's a particular jump, in the storm drain chapter, that I always have to try no less than 10 times because I can't seem to get it right:

Moobabe

Nice, I'll try this next time I replay the game. I don't remember which area are you referring to in the last part, actually.

And there's a particular jump, in the storm drain chapter, that I always have to try no less than 10 times because I can't seem to get it right:

IIRC you can slide down the sides, or (and this is a test of my memory) don't jump at all and just take the damage as you land?

That's one of the few moments in the game that pissed me off. You would think that you have to jump but I ended up just sliding to the bottom and walking around.

I've been meaning to replay it and sink some time into the time trials.

masterkajo

it is possible to slide at the side jump and wallrun above the gap. hard though.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC you can slide down the sides, or (and this is a test of my memory) don't jump at all and just take the damage as you land?
You mean landing in the small ledge below, and then jumping from there?

That's one of the few moments in the game that pissed me off. You would think that you have to jump but I ended up just sliding to the bottom and walking around.

I've been meaning to replay it and sink some time into the time trials.
OK then, that's counter-intuitive. What were they thinking?

Nillansan

Preorders for Resident Evil Revelations is up.

It has the same reward system going on like with RE6. Artbook/Soundtrack for tier 1, Lost Planet game for tier 2, and Season Pass for tier 3.

oh gawd i'm gonna buy this full price again aren't i

I'll be there day one, I've been looking forward to playing the single player portion of the game.

How does Lost Planet work as a single player game? Is it worth it to go at it alone?

Batman Arkham City key hidden in this post! Bought it by mistake before realising it wasn't the GOTY edition.

Please say thanks if you took it!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Full price for what's little more than a port, and a hugely belated one at that? Oh, Capcom, what will we do with you?

Batman Arkham City key hidden in this post! Bought it by mistake before realising it wasn't the GOTY edition.

Thanks, but I would just like to say I don't own the game and will not be taking your key.

Full price for what's little more than a port, and a hugely belated one at that? Oh, Capcom, what will we do with you?

Probably preorder it for $20 or something through GMG.

zkylon

zkylewd

nice, I'd take it but I'm too lazy to fire up steam

be honest with yourself, the no hats part was the deal breaker

JaseC

I thought this was a regular Arkham Asylum key for a moment there. I got excited. :(

Probably preorder it for $20 or something through GMG.

I'm wondering if the art book and soundtrack add to one's game count. I should have paid attention to said figure when I pre-purchased Tomb Raider. :(

Edit: I don't think they do.

zkylon

zkylewd
It won't be sway me to buy every title on pre-order, but those I was interested in giving something 'extra' is OK with me. Certainly helps when you see other places offering pre-order bonuses, when previously Steam wouldn't.

Just have to see how it goes, if it means Steam prices remain high then I'll probably change how I feel.
thing is we were already getting those extras for preorder bonuses for free (as in no rewards, just came with your preorder) no questions asked 6 months ago.

or like you get a ripoff season pass or a 5 year old game that is worth next to nothing, or bio infinite that had hats as an incentive.

they're basically just gating free/worthless stuff now...

In a way, I'm glad, because I care little for modern Resident Evil.
isn't revelaitons like the good one?

Nah. I think in the context of what was available on the 3ds at the time it was decent, but that is about it. The online stuff sounds pretty interesting, but with the gameplay mechanics as they are...I can't see it being anything too special.

Still it is something to do I suppose.

jediyoshi

Compared to RE6 and 5 probably. It has the slower paced, claustrophobic, secluded, darker tones of RE games of yore. Doesn't have any of the crazy diving/sliding/dmc quickshots of re6 though which is almost a bummer at this point for me.

Tomodachi

Be that as it may, I'm still not coughing up ~$50 for a PC port that's 16 months late to the platform. :p It should be launching at $30 and not a penny more.
I don't get it, RE6 was 30€ over here, and even had a pre-order 10% off iirc, it was a late port too but of an HD game in the first place. Revelaitons™ is 40€, no pre-order sale, and it's a port of an handheld game. What the hell Capcom, make peace with your own (long gone) brain.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Be that as it may, I'm still not coughing up ~$50 for a PC port that's 16 months late to the platform. :p It should be launching at no more than $30.

Edit: D'oh, clarity.
Cacpcom confirmed for 2013's worst company awards. Bring on the golden turd!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I've bought Mirror's Edge yesterday too, there was no resisting that price...
Doing the same right now and considering gifting a second copy, even though I already played it to hell on the 360 I love this game to bits.

Deques

I don't get it, RE6 was 30€ over here, and even had a pre-order 10% off iirc, it was a late port too but of an HD game in the first place. Revelaitons™ is 40€, no pre-order sale, and it's a port of an handheld game. What the hell Capcom, make peace with your own (long gone) brain.

Wouldn't the cost to port a 3DS be higher than porting from a current gen console game? Not defending Capcom on the price tag. But I can't think of something else that would make Revelations cost more than RE6

JaseC

Wouldn't the cost to port a 3DS be higher than porting from a current gen console game? Not defending Capcom on the price tag. But I can't think of something else that would make Revelations cost more than RE6

MT Framework was designed to be scalable from the PS360/PC down to next-gen mobile hardware (i.e. the 3DS/Vita and presumably more recent tablets), so I don't think the port would've required all that much effort.

kaleii

Here you are, kaleii.

Oh JaseC, you remembered!

Thanks! Tunnelbeared (it's still more expensive in Europe) this badboy and ordered it. Now I have to wait 24 hours for them to validate my purchase.

... and I still have to find Half-Life (or Source) cheaply. :)

1-D_FTW

Here you are, kaleii.

They've been featuring a Valve game every day this week. There's a good chance they'll do Half-Life Complete before the end of the week (since Gamestop always chooses premium bundles and would never pick Half-Life over Half-Life Complete.)

daxy

If only you could make the wishlist private. I put random stuff on there that I'm somewhat remotely interested in having another look at in the future, at some point, not now, and it's nice to have a list of that stuff that'll also tell me when these are on sale. The games I know I want, I don't need to track via wishlist. Feels bad when people get me something from that list and I end up playing it for about an hour.

kaleii

They've been featuring a Valve game every day this week. There's a good chance they'll do Half-Life Complete before the end of the week (since Gamestop always chooses premium bundles and would never pick Half-Life over Half-Life Complete.)

Oh man.

Ah, nevermind... it's all good. I wanted Portal on this account anyway :)

JaseC

Ah, I didn't realise that. I know the games are on sale throughout the week, but they've been showing 33% off here, so I assumed the Orange Box was an unrelated deal.

kaleii

Ah, I didn't realise that. I know the games are on sale throughout the week, but they've been showing 33% off here, so I assumed the Orange Box was an unrelated deal.

kaleii get's hit by buyers remorse. It's super effective.

Nah, I'll be fine.

Honestly.

:(

JaseC

You'll be able to pick up the Half-Life Anthology during the Summer Sale for $3.75, which, when combined with the $6.80 Orange Box, works out slightly cheaper than buying Half-Life Complete at what's presumably going to be 66% off ($13.60). Even snapping up HL: Source and HLDM: Source for a further $2.50 still saves you a buck or so!

Grief.exe

If only you could make the wishlist private. I put random stuff on there that I'm somewhat remotely interested in having another look at in the future, at some point, not now, and it's nice to have a list of that stuff that'll also tell me when these are on sale. The games I know I want, I don't need to track via wishlist. Feels bad when people get me something from that list and I end up playing it for about an hour.

Just make your top ten those games that you know you want and don't think you need to track.

Its not that much work and will save you from getting a sub par game.

Or just put in your profile not to gift games off of your wish list.

Grief.exe

For those looking to pre-order RE:R, the retail key for Lost Planet actually activates on Steam.

I picked one up for $2.50 about a year ago on Amazon.

kaleii

You'll be able to pick up the Half-Life Anthology during the Summer Sale for $3.75, which, when combined with the $6.80 Orange Box, works out slightly cheaper than buying Half-Life Complete at what's presumably going to be 66% off ($13.60). Even snapping up HL: Source and HLDM: Source for a further $2.50 still saves you a buck or so!

SO MANY MATHS!

Yeah, thanks. I think I'll keep a look out for Half-Life: Source then? Surely that's the best version?

JaseC

SO MANY MATHS!

Yeah, thanks. I think I'll keep a look out for Half-Life: Source then? Surely that's the best version?

HL: Source is nothing more than a port of the original to the Source engine, with some tweaked lighting/water effects and the like. Most people actually prefer the original version of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom