• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

I must say, I'm surprised when I checked my Humble Bundle account - suddenly there are other games in it that I don't recall being added!
Same. I seem to recall Cortex Command not having a Steam key way back when I got whatever bundle it was in, and now there's a Steam key for it. And I don't even know when I got Dustforce.

In order to get more cards, you need to buy them on the market, Valve takes a cut out of that.
False.

I must say, I'm surprised when I checked my Humble Bundle account - suddenly there are other games in it that I don't recall being added!

I'm glad I read your post. I finally decided to create an account proper instead of just using my email address and claim the bundles linked to that address. Lo and behold I now have braid and lone survivor from HB5! Don't know how I missed them the first time.

DocSeuss

I'm glad I read your post. I finally decided to create an account proper instead of just using my email address and claim the bundles linked to that address. Lo and behold I now have braid and lone survivor from HB5! Don't know how I missed them the first time.

It's because bundles add additional games on their second week, usually.

Caerith

You need to spend money to get card drops in TF2 and DOTA 2, so true.
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, so it's really not to your benefit to continually change your argument just to avoid admitting you were wrong.

How the hell are you supposed ask them then? "Hey bro, I'll trade this card for this!" its so fucking awkward and rude, and you need to spend money to get drops.
You answered your own question. There's even a thread for it. Trading cards are meant to be traded, and it's only as "fucking awkward and rude" as you make it.

cicero

Today I learned talking to someone is awkward and rude.

As for me, it did feel a bit awkward and rude when I just popped up and messaged someone on my friend list to try to trade because I could see what cards they had. Not that we didn't trade, it just felt like that to start making trade requests out of the blue.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Who can see your beautiful GOG library bookshelf arrayed in all of its finery but you? GOG needs an optional Steam like client, if only for bragging rights, which are a must for today's modern gaming gentlemen and gentlewomen.

GOG definitely needs an option to make your wishlist public, and the ability to gift games to your friends based on that.

cicero

GOG definitely needs an option to make your wishlist public, and the ability to gift games to your friends based on that.

That is why at the least it would be nice to have some kind of optional public profile page for just that type of info for those who want it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In order to get more cards, you need to buy them on the market, Valve takes a cut out of that.
And why is it a bad thing? No matter how much you pay, you only get trophy items. Nothing to do with F2P (or Pay2Win) stuff.

You need to spend money to get card drops in TF2 and DOTA 2, so true.

How the hell are you supposed ask them then? "Hey bro, I'll trade this card for this!" its so fucking awkward and rude, and you need to spend money to get drops.
I forgot you were the guy who complained that $1 was too much for the Humble Bundle.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, so it's really not to your benefit to continually change your argument just to avoid admitting you were wrong.

You answered your own question. There's even a thread for it. Trading cards are meant to be traded, and it's only as "fucking awkward and rude" as you make it.

My problem with this, and I guess it's mostly a personal problem, is that I want the badges for all the games that I own and the bonuses that come with crafting them. Because there is a limited number of drops you can ever obtain, I'll always be short of completing the set and I'll never have anything I would want to trade. I would prefer they put some kind of timed reset on the drops, even if it was like 30-90 days or longer.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with this, and I guess it's mostly a personal problem, is that I want the badges for all the games that I own and the bonuses that come with crafting them. Because there is a limited number of drops you can ever obtain, I'll always be short of completing the set and I'll never have anything I would want to trade. I would prefer they put some kind of timed reset on the drops, even if it was like 30-90 days or longer.
This is exactly the point: you are meant to get only the badges for the games you like the most, not all of them, unless you're willing to shell out the money to buy them all.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's entirely a personal problem and goes against the point of it. You aren't suppose to try to get badges for every game. You are suppose to get badges for the games you really like by trading cards from the games you don't dickride on forums.

I don't want a badge for Borderlands or Dota.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The prices of regular cards are liable to plummet soon after NeoCommunity comes out of beta, anyway.

This is exactly the point: you are meant to get only the badges for the games you like the most, not all of them, unless you're willing to shell out the money to buy them all.

Valve should provide the means to get all cards, regardless if you like the games or not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Well, you're talking about a system that's in beta. Whether or not they add other ways to get cards, who knows. But look at your objective -- you want to have everything, you don't want to pay, and you don't want to trade any non-monetary thing. It's kinda... against the spirit of the system :p

Does GOG even have a friends list?

Valve should provide the means to get all cards, regardless if you like the games or not.

They do? You can trade other game cards or a whole bunch of other tradeable stuff that Valve games give you for free for just playing. And if all else fails, you can buy them in the community market with free money you get by selling a whole bunch of useless shit Valve also gives you.

Anyway, quote to see Steam keys

Dear Esther
Capsized
Little Inferno
Patrician IV - Steam Special Edition
Patrician IV - Rise of a Dynasty DLC

omg_mjd

They do? You can trade other game cards or a whole bunch of other tradeable stuff that Valve games give you for free for just playing games. And if all else fails, you can buy them in the community market with free money you get by selling a whole bunch of useless shit Valve also gives you.

Dear Esther
Capsized
Little Inferno

Grabbed Dear Esther. Thanks!

They do? You can trade other game cards or a whole bunch of other tradeable stuff that Valve games give you for free for just playing games. And if all else fails, you can buy them in the community market with free money you get by selling a whole bunch of useless shit Valve also gives you.

Dear Esther
Capsized
Little Inferno

Tried to grab Patrician IV - Steam Special Edition, but someone beat me to it.

Chronoja

Quoting but I took none of the keys

My problem with the trading at the moment is that like others have said, if you want to craft the badges you wind up in a situation where you have literally zero fodder to trade with. I need to keep the cards I have since if I trade them away I'm going to have to buy them off the market again anyways.

The coupons, backgrounds, emoticons value for significantly less than what it takes to craft them, and steam does not facilitate the trading of giftable games on the market, not that it's even easy to find someone willing to trade for a game in it's equivalent worth in cards. I have zero interest in grinding tf2 for hours a day just to get metal for cards at that, I have time and a million other games to be playing (yes, I play my steam games)

Dr Dogg

I wouldn't think so. The Warhammer games transitioned from THQ to Sega just fine, for example.

Ah good point.

You know me so well. ;)

One day you are going to own everything on Steam and then what will you do? Get a second account? Oh god I hope this doesn't give you ideas.

Who can see your beautiful GOG library bookshelf arrayed in all of its finery but you? GOG needs an optional Steam like client, if only for bragging rights, which are a must for today's modern gaming gentlemen and gentlewomen.

Hahaha well mine is a bit barren besides lots of D&D games, some EA titles from when they actually put out quality titles non stop and the freebies so not much need to show off. Can't see why a community profile wouldn't work as the forums over there are quite active and friendly and for the JaseC's of this world the perfect place to flaunt your shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom