• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripat (Sp?) off of Amazon for $2 - and then was disappointed I couldn't activate it in Steam. However, it did give me an activation code for Gamespy, wth is that exactly?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If I were to guess, I would have said something like "saurcy" with an Irish accent. The way it actually is... it has to be some really weird transliteration stuff from Gaelic text. Shitty transliteration has messed up many things.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So I just bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripat (Sp?) off of Amazon for $2 - and then was disappointed I couldn't activate it in Steam. However, it did give me an activation code for Gamespy, wth is that exactly?

Multiplayer key?

Tomodachi

I was excited to play this game because the first 30 minutes or so were very good. But the next hour was nothing but the same crap I had already done. Killed my interest dead immediately, given how many other games I have yet to play. Does the variety of the puzzles improve or does it keep rehashing the same things over and over again? My free time is super valuable these days :(

Yeah, there's a lot of backtracking and "oh god I forgot that item over there, I need a few minutes to go and fetch it again" and such bullshit. Maybe an inventory system would have helped.
About the puzzles, it's basically a "point-and-click adventure meets platform" genre so the puzzles remains always very item-based. They're not hard and there are some twists over the way (themed puzzles have always something peculiar about them) but you can expect the same game you played for the first hour. It's only 4 hours or so though.

IIRC, only the themed areas are different when using another character; the rest of the cave remains exactly the same, so much (or most?) of the game plays out the same as before. In fewer words, you're not exactly missing out on much.

Edit: BHfhahfuaskhfas

Indeed, I figured as much and that's probably what's keeping me from playing it all over again. I couldn't stand doing the "constant" parts of the cave, the game is already filled with backtracking and slow parts as it is.

Xanathus

IIRC Call of Pripyat has/had a multiplayer deathmatch mode that may or may not still exist. That key is probably to register an account for that mode.

If I were to guess, I would have said something like "saurcy" with an Irish accent. The way it actually is... it has to be some really weird transliteration stuff from Gaelic text. Shitty transliteration has messed up many things.

I prefer Sasha, and Jonathan Ross seems to be approving that one.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I just hear Microsoft Sam saying SOISOISOI whenever the name comes up so I don't have to think about its pronunciation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope my Glados foil sells overnight. If not I'll just price bloody thing so it's the first in the list and be done with it. I relisted earlier today hoping it'd sell before the Weekend Deals hit, but alas.

I'm not sure if the video addresses this (I haven't seen it in a while and my internet is awful at the moment), but the way she says it is technically incorrect: she prefers "Sir-sha, like 'inertia'" but it's actually pronounced Seer-sha. There's your fun fact for the day.

Megasoum

Banned
I posted a video somewhere in this thread of Saoirse telling people how to pronounce it.

We should probably gif that video.

ahh ok

It's weird, she looks so much like Caroline Dhavernas (french Canadian actress) on The Host's poster.

Passchendaele+Press+Conference+TIFF+2008+-aChexezVFml.jpg

tuseday

Neo Member
Has any confirmed that the steam edition of Dungeons & Dragons Collection is not using GFWL? I'm just a little worried after seeing Ms. Splosion Man release with GFWL.

nexen

Has any confirmed that the steam edition of Dungeons & Dragons Collection is not using GFWL? I'm just a little worried after seeing Ms. Splosion Man release with GFWL.

I highly doubt it. Putting GFWL in all those old games would be a real trick.

morningbus

Gaelic is the language where Siobhán becomes Shiv-awwn, so I'm pretty sure all pronunciations are just shit they made up as a joke.

Miker

After Max Payne 3 took its sweet ass time downloading 30 gigs, I finally got a chance to try it out this morning. I was looking to hop into it quickly and test out the performance, and that was a huge mistake, because god DAMN those are some long-ass cutscenes. Some are skippable, but only after loading for inordinate amounts of time. Shooting seems good so far, James McCaffrey is the man, and the cutscenes are giving me seizures. So it pretty much all lines up with what I've heard so far.

I do have to give Rockstar for a solid PC port, though - I'm running at 2560x1440 at a mostly stable 60 fps in-game and I only have a measly overclocked 7850.

It's entirely a personal problem and goes against the point of it. You aren't suppose to try to get badges for every game. You are suppose to get badges for the games you really like by trading cards from the games you don't dickride on forums.

I don't want a badge for Borderlands or Dota.

Your recommendation is to play games that I don't like to get badges for the games that I do like? Even worse, I could just launch the game and let it idle and collect everything with little to no effort at all. That seems odd. I'm not against paying for them but the concept needs some work.

Well, you're talking about a system that's in beta. Whether or not they add other ways to get cards, who knows. But look at your objective -- you want to have everything, you don't want to pay, and you don't want to trade any non-monetary thing. It's kinda... against the spirit of the system :p

As I said above, I'm not against paying and have already purchased the cards I need to complete the sets that I have. I'm just advocating additional methods to obtain cards. The cards are randomized so wouldn't this scenario work:

1. Obtain 3/5 trading cards
2. Locked out from obtaining cards for 30 days
3. Obtained 3/5 trading cards again, but 2 of the cards are ones that I already own
4. Trade duplicates/extras with the community for the cards that I need

The market would still be viable in this scenario too. Alternatively, I could sell the extra cards and buy the cards I need. For people that are impatient and don't want to wait the 30 days (or whatever set period of time) or are just unlucky and keep getting the same cards, they could also just buy them on the market.

Taking that into account, wouldn't the above scenario still be in the spirit of the trading card concept without locking things behind a pay wall?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Man I completely forgot that was coming out. Excite all over again!

Has a release date been pinned down?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Your recommendation is to play games that I don't like to get badges for the games that I do like? Even worse, I could just launch the game and let it idle and collect everything with little to no effort at all. That seems odd. I'm not against paying for them but the concept needs some work.

Every game you ever play is a game you want to represent as one of your favorites?

Ok guys I want to play borderlands but everytime I do I seem to lose track of time is there anyway to display the time in game without exiting to the desktop?

Scythian

I'm not sure if I should buy Rising Storm, I kinda want to, but I didn't know about the beta until an hour ago, so I don't know if it's good.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh crap, summersale. :(
I've ordered a high-end PC wich hopefully will be available to pick up in about 1-2 weeks. (waiting is hard)
Wich also means, right now, those summersales are looking more dangerous than ever.

Also, when my rigg arives, I can finally play some games bought from previous sales my old machine could never run in a million years! Yay!

Grief.exe

Oh crap, summersale. :(
I've ordered a high-end PC wich hopefully will be available to pick up in about 1-2 weeks. (waiting is hard)
Wich also means, right now, those summersales are looking more dangerous than ever.

Also, when my rigg arives, I can finally play some games bought from previous sales my old machine could never run in a million years! Yay!

Are you having it built for you at a shop?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Are you having it built for you at a shop?
Indeeed, I am. But some parts are delayed due to weather issues. Those freight ships don't like storms. :(

morningbus

Origin lies about speeds. Steam maxes out my connection every time. Just under 10MB/s.

I've seen people claim that Origin is reporting the real speed and that they ran network tools to verify it.

In my own experience, Origin greatly exaggerated (almost doubled) my download speed from what I was actually getting.

So I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle: Origin reports a number and depending on a person's connection, proximity to a content server, etc. it is either accurate or a fabrication.

Addnan

I've seen people claim that Origin is reporting the real speed and that they ran network tools to verify it.

In my own experience, Origin greatly exaggerated (almost doubled) my download speed from what I was actually getting.

So I think the truth may be somewhere in the middle: Origin reports a number and depending on a person's connection, proximity to a content server, etc. it is either accurate or a fabrication.
It lies to me all the time. I pay for 76mbs (technically 80 advertised as 76), speedtest reports around 74-75 Origin claims I can sometimes download at 20+MB/s (160mbs~)

Dr Dogg

Well it seams Capcom is spoiling us with 40% off DmC. So expect 50% off at Summer Sale time? Some places had it cheaper than that at release.

Well it seams Capcom is spoiling us with 40% off DmC. So expect 50% off at Summer Sale time? Some places had it cheaper than that at release.

I was about to buy the DLC but I can wait. 50% off seems reasonable for the Summer sale. Hope I can get the same or better for Resident Evil 6.

koolaroo

I sure hope there another weekend deal the one we are stuck with is quite lame. I expect at least 50% from weekend deals. Entitled? maybe but I blame valve for spoiling us.

Dr Dogg

It was 50% off on Origin, activates through Steam. not sure if it still is though.

Yeah I always wondered how Origin would handle Steamworks titles. Though I think I'd rather drop the last of my disposable funds on The Swapper so cheers for the heads up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope the Summer Sale begins ~mid-July as last year I got my tax back just in time (though it's going to be substantially less this year, but still, more money is more money).

Dr Dogg

I was about to buy the DLC but I can wait. 50% off seems reasonable for the Summer sale. Hope I can get the same or better for Resident Evil 6.

Well a couple of folks in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread were selling keys for around £10 during launch and there were a few nebulous key sellers selling it for £13 as well. I could pick a boxed copy up for £15 locally and have a nice shinny disc/coaster as well. Though like your good self I'd happily bite at 50% off with the Virgil dlc.

Speaking of cheap boxed copies of Steamworks titles FM 2012 is going for £7.50 by me. Which is probably on JaseCs radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom