• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

I really wanted to play TWD on Vita but at this price I had to cave in. Also, at this point I'm not sure Telltale will keep that promise :(

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
CAN SOMEBODY HAND ME A BACK TO THE FUTURE STEAM CODE PLEASE PORFAVOR?!

You don't have 1 dollar to pay the min at least?

All the games are bundled together in one key except for a separate Walking Dead key. Now I get to see what all the talk is all about with TWD.

koolaroo

Man I wish these bundles were purchasable on steam. I don't have a credit card so I can't buy it but I do have like 40 dollars on steam.

So guys i have an extra TWD code. Since TWD is a really good "game" i give it to the first person who says a game moment where he cried (Reasonal please. Not because of laughing).

Edit:Gone

Man I wish these bundles were purchasable on steam. I don't have a credit card so I can't buy it but I do have like 40 dollars on steam.

Same situation. Good thing payday is close and pre-paid CC are easy to get. I'll probably be able to pick up the base bundle then. I have TWD so I don't need that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Your recommendation is to play games that I don't like to get badges for the games that I do like? Even worse, I could just launch the game and let it idle and collect everything with little to no effort at all. That seems odd. I'm not against paying for them but the concept needs some work.

It's in beta. Imagine 5 years from now when 250 games support Steam Trading Cards. Will you dislike all those games? As soon as you let go of the idea that you need the cards right now, the way in which the system will work going forward becomes a lot clearer.

As I said above, I'm not against paying and have already purchased the cards I need to complete the sets that I have. I'm just advocating additional methods to obtain cards. The cards are randomized so wouldn't this scenario work:

1. Obtain 3/5 trading cards
2. Locked out from obtaining cards for 30 days
3. Obtained 3/5 trading cards again, but 2 of the cards are ones that I already own
4. Trade duplicates/extras with the community for the cards that I need

The market would still be viable in this scenario too. Alternatively, I could sell the extra cards and buy the cards I need. For people that are impatient and don't want to wait the 30 days (or whatever set period of time) or are just unlucky and keep getting the same cards, they could also just buy them on the market.

Taking that into account, wouldn't the above scenario still be in the spirit of the trading card concept without locking things behind a pay wall?

You are advocating a process that increases the total number of cards on the market, which defeats the supply control that Valve clearly wants in order to make it so that everyone can't get badges for everything.

Nah, a "ll" will always be pronounced "sh". It's Spanish who sometimes say "liu" instead.

As far as I know (and I know EVERYTHING), "x" is always pronounced "cs".
"LL" always as "sh"? So you say "cashe" instead of "calle"? Well i think is most about the pronutiation in Argentina or Uruguay. "X" isn't always pronouced "cs" all the words of nahuatl origin that we use with "x" sounds like "j" (ex. Mexico).

diggler41

The Telltale bundle is insane. I can't belive it's so cheap right now.

Makes me wish I would have waited around xmas when I went on my buy all TellTale games binge. lol. Of all the TellTale games I enjoyed Puzzle Agent 1&2 the best. I enjoyed WD until the save bug got my game and I couldn't progress to episode 3.

zkylon

zkylewd
thanks to Chronoja for gifting me blackwell deception

I hear it's back to form for the blackwell series after a disappointing blackwell converge, so I'm excited

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Humble weekly sale:
A LOT of stuff from Telltale
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Hot damn.
I'm totally buying this tonight. Incredible value for a dollar. I just wish I hadn't bought BttF from GMG for $5 2 weeks ago, but I can't really complain.

Welp. I guess it's finally time for me to buy and play TWD.

Humble Bundle has been on a roll lately. Bundle #8, Alan Wake, and now this.
Yes, do it! Such an amazing game, one of the very few that managed to really move me, emotionally speaking.

It's in beta. Imagine 5 years from now when 250 games support Steam Trading Cards. Will you dislike all those games? As soon as you let go of the idea that you need the cards right now, the way in which the system will work going forward becomes a lot clearer.

You are advocating a process that increases the total number of cards on the market, which defeats the supply control that Valve clearly wants in order to make it so that everyone can't get badges for everything.

Right. It's a beta so things are always subject to change. I was just providing my feedback about the system as it currently is. With regards to future state, it doesn't matter if there are 250 or 500 games that are compatible. If I like the game, I would probably want to collect the items for that game. If I dislike the game, I don't want to waste my time playing it just to get badges to trade for the games that I do like.

There is a possibility that I could purchase a game that I thought I might like, play it for several hours and decide that I didn't like it. Now, I've got trading cards that I can trade for something that I really want. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying that I need the cards right now, hence my suggestion to reset the badge drops over a period of time. I just don't want to see features locked behind paywalls. I want to have more options. If it is not Valve's intention to give us those options, then so be it. It doesn't mean that I have to like it or agree with it.

I also believe that given my prior scenario, Valve can still control the supply by rarity of drops. The amount of cards on the market may increase and drive prices down but rare cards will have a different supply and thus different values, much like the current foil card drops. Increasing the number of obtainable cards can help with this too. Some games currently only have 5 cards, where you can obtain a possible 3/5 while others have 8 cards, allowing you to obtain 3-4/8. Adjusting these numbers and the rarity of certain drops can contribute to the control of the supply and demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom