• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Gaelic is the language where Siobhán becomes Shiv-awwn, so I'm pretty sure all pronunciations are just shit they made up as a joke.
Well, for a Spanish speaker English is exactly like that, too. For example, the word "nightmare" is pronounced completely different than one would expect. "Like" is another example too.

Guys, I'm sorry, but you just don't know how to talk.

HoosTrax

Well, for a Spanish speaker English is exactly like that, too. For example, the word "nightmare" is pronounced completely different than one would expect. "Like" is another example too.

Jalapeno. Jay-La-Pee-No?

Every game you ever play is a game you want to represent as one of your favorites?

No, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to collect the cards for that game or unlock their bonuses. No one said badges had to represent "favorites". For example, let's say that I like and play Borderlands 2 but it isn't necessarily one of my favorites. Borderlands 3 is now on the horizon and looks really great. I now want to represent Borderlands 2 on my profile with a custom background and badge and maybe post some status updates to my activity feed with Borderlands 2 emoticons.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I love those game cards. Getting some free steambucks while drinking coffee.

Well a couple of folks in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread were selling keys for around £10 during launch and there were a few nebulous key sellers selling it for £13 as well. I could pick a boxed copy up for £15 locally and have a nice shinny disc/coaster as well. Though like your good self I'd happily bite at 50% off with the Virgil dlc.

I think 50% off is a fair price for DmC. Wrote a quite lengthy review in the previous Steam thread if you're interested.

Why do you think it's called E3?

that's what I'm counting on as well!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

English isn't too terrible: it's just inconsistent for a number of reasons. We allow for loan words from other languages (unlike formal French or Spanish), and, if that isn't enough, we will often try to anglicize those words too, which throws consistency out the window.

That doesn't even account for regional dialect and pronunciation.

If you think those words are bad try attempting "Worcester" or "Colonel."

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope there another weekend deal the one we are stuck with is quite lame. I expect at least 50% from weekend deals. Entitled? maybe but I blame valve for spoiling us.
Now this is something you can actually complain about. Not $1 bundles :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to collect the cards for that game or unlock their bonuses. No one said badges had to represent "favorites". For example, let's say that I like and play Borderlands 2 but it isn't necessarily one of my favorites. Borderlands 3 is now on the horizon and looks really great. I now want to represent Borderlands 2 on my profile with a custom background and badge and maybe post some status updates to my activity feed with Borderlands 2 emoticons.

If Valve didn't intend it to be that way, than why would they set it up as is?

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.

My feelings on the English language.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
$20 is my jumping on point for the Aficionado flavour of Prison Architect. 40% off would do it (which would make it $21, but that's close enough). Hint, hint, Introversion! There's a Summer Sale coming up.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
English isn't too terrible: it's just inconsistent for a number of reasons. We allow for loan words from other languages (unlike formal French or Spanish), and, if that isn't enough, we will often try to anglicize those words too, which throws consistency out the window.

Inconsistent, terrible, it's all the same. "Same" is another one of those words, by the way. In Spanish you pronounce things the same way as you write them.

If Valve didn't intend it to be that way, than why would they set it up as is?
If a game goes on sale for 90% off and there's no one to buy it, does that constitute a good deal?

Let's not discount pure and simply invention. Though Shakespeare is the only person who isn't raked over coals for creating new language.

Indeed. Though Shakespeare is also famous for adopting foreign words and popularising their English usage.

Inconsistent, terrible, it's all the same. "Same" is another one of those words, by the way. In Spanish you pronounce things the same way as you write them.

When I used to live in Argentina I was taught that the only letter with multiple pronunciations was x.

Dr Dogg

I'll see you Worcester and raise you a Tewkesbury and Towcester. Always used to have this lad that I worked with, who was from Johannesburg, in a right state pronouncing those two places.

Mrbob

So they are discouraging people from actually trying the game, not a good sign.

I dunno, doesn't really bother me. Only have the hardest of the hardcore get the game in beta because they realize it will be unfinished. Might be better to do this than a ton of people complain about what is not in the game yet.

It is a different experiment than normal, that is for sure.

Cheers dude. Good read and it's reassuring that my 2 biggest fears, the obnoxious image Dante had in the lead up marketing and Ninja Theory's traditionally clunky combat, seam to be just the internet being the internet. The GB QL had me very tempted but will more than likely pick this up @ -50%.

Hah, thanks. Just going over it now and I feel that I definitely needed to proofread it but oh well :)

FYC

Banned
Finished Jedi Knight 2, it's one of the best games I've ever played

Lando motherfucker holy shit, on to Jedi Academy soon

Also might get DmC finally

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Unless you're on a calle in Argentina.
Nah, a "ll" will always be pronounced "sh". It's Spanish who sometimes say "liu" instead.

When I used to live in Argentina I was taught that the only letter with multiple pronunciations was x.
As far as I know (and I know EVERYTHING), "x" is always pronounced "cs".

Finished Jedi Knight 2, it's one of the best games I've ever played

Lando motherfucker holy shit, on to Jedi Academy soon

Also might get DmC finally
It is, it is. No other game captures so well the feeling of being a super powerful motherfucker, not even Prototype. Jedi Knight (or actually Dark Forces) is an amazing franchise.

Humble weekly sale:
A LOT of stuff from Telltale
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Hot damn.

Pay over the average and get The Walking Dead on Steam! Pay any price for DRM-free versions of Back to the Future: The Game, Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse, Poker Night at the Inventory, Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures, Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent, Puzzle Agent 2, and Hector: Badge of Carnage (get Steam keys with a purchase of $1 or more). Select games are also available for Mac.

HoosTrax

Welp. I guess it's finally time for me to buy and play TWD.

Humble Bundle has been on a roll lately. Bundle #8, Alan Wake, and now this.

Grief.exe

The deals have been going crazy lately.

The Alan Wake one is already over? Time flies.

What was the final revenue count for that sale?

They should have made it at least $3.50-$4 to unlock American Nightmare.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Nah, a "ll" will always be pronounced "sh". It's Spanish who sometimes say "liu" instead.

My point was mainly that Argentina is the only Spanish-speaking country that pronounces "ll" as "sh."

You're consistent with your inconsistencies, I'll give you that.

Well since i only need TWD.. first one to quote with a cthulhu pic gets the rest.

F'taghn.

Cthulhu-rlyeh-rising.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom