• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

I would have bought the Humbebundle weekly if they had included Jurassic Park as it's the only Telltale game I don't have. Oh well.

Nabs

Remedy is about to make some $$$$$$$$$

header_586x192.jpg

Alan Wake Franchise is the Weekend Deal @ 90% off. Pay $3 for the main game, or $4 for everything (AW CE, AN).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"LL" always as "sh"? So you say "cashe" instead of "calle"? Well i think is most about the pronutiation in Argentina or Uruguay. "X" isn't always pronouced "cs" all the words of nahuatl origin that we use with "x" sounds like "j" (ex. Mexico).
Yup, we pronounce it "cashe". "Shuvia" (lluvia = rain), "Shave" (llave = key).

I think you're right about Mexico, and now that I think about it, the letter "C" can be pronounced as "S" or "K", depending on the letter next to it. And "G" can have a soft or strong sound, and "ch" sounds different too (chocolate).

Fuck, Morningbus was right after all: our language isn't easy at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Remedy is about to make some $$$$$$$$$

header_586x192.jpg

Alan Wake Franchise is the Weekend Deal @ 90% off. Pay $3 for the main game, or $4 for everything (AW CE, AN).
I don't see the point of this, to be honest. Not right after a $1 sale on the whole franchise has just ended.

I don't see the point of this, to be honest. Not right after a $1 sale on the whole franchise has just ended.

To get all the people that have 4.00 sitting in their steam wallets from selling the steam cards but they don't have a CC? It is a pretty small part of the steam population though.

Zeknurn

Folk Tale is up on Steam as part of Early Access.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/224440/

About Folk Tale
Folk Tale is a sandbox fantasy city builder strategy game in which you lead a ragtag band of peasants in growing a small settlement into a thriving market town, while the dastardly Slavemaster Urzal and his minions plot your downfall. Sound the rallying call and head out into the wilds with parties of heroes to fight back the tide of evil in a game of endless possibilities.

Rule with tyranny and oppression, or liberalism and justice. Play as a merciless expansionist hell-bent on destruction, or as a gold-hoarding mercantilist who'll sell their own grandmother for a handful of coin. With random events and dynamic story, in Folk Tale you never know how the story will unfold.

I think it's pretty smart. There's probably a decent number of people playing and talking about AW right now. Another sale will probably sweep up a lot of people who missed out on the pay what you want but are now interested in the game because of word of mouth.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
19 games for 0,80 eurocents.
Crazy stuff.

19 games for 0,80 eurocents.
Crazy stuff.

That's a great deal but as with most of these I already own the meat and will never play the other games, so there is nothing there for me personally. Wish I could get excited about those bundles though, I have deal envy right now I haven't scored anything recently.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it helps people that are really indecisive and panic when forced to choose what they want to pay.
Well, I admit I felt kinda like a cheap-ass for only paying $1 for the Humble Weekly Bundle. I still did anyway; can't really justify paying more than what's necessary.

Or people that go scrounging for deals except on Steam and all of a sudden see NINETY PERCENT OFF.
I think it's pretty smart. There's probably a decent number of people playing and talking about AW right now. Another sale will probably sweep up a lot of people who missed out on the pay what you want but are now interested in the game because of word of mouth.
This sounds possible, so maybe that's the reason for this sale.

"LL" always as "sh"? So you say "cashe" instead of "calle"? Well i think is most about the pronutiation in Argentina or Uruguay. "X" isn't always pronouced "cs" all the words of nahuatl origin that we use with "x" sounds like "j" (ex. Mexico).

It sounds more like "ca-shay," but the strength of the SH sound is dependant on where you are in the country. When I lived in Mendoza for four years, the SH sound was a lot softer.

I moved to Buenos Aires for another eight years, and portenos stress the hell out of the SH. It's a lot more noticeable there.

zkylon

zkylewd
It sounds more like "ca-shay," but the strength of the SH sound is dependant on where you are in the country. When I lived in Mendoza for four years, the SH sound was a lot softer.

I moved to Buenos Aires for another eight years, and portenos stress the hell out of the SH. It's a lot more noticeable there.

we baires dudes mess up the fuck outta dem double ls

Crazy bundle, Walking Dead get! Gotta tell my friends about this one, BTTF alone for minimum price is kind of insane. Shame I already had it like twice from other bundles/sales.

My point was mainly that Argentina is the only Spanish-speaking country that pronounces "ll" as "sh."

You're consistent with your inconsistencies, I'll give you that.

But it's not an inconsistency; it's a regional (national, actually!) variation. Every single language has those, no exceptions. What's different about English (and perhaps some other languages? Japanese has a very similar pronunciation to Spanish, and pretty much consistent too) is that it has inconsistent pronunciations even within a regional variant (or, indeed, baseline English... if such a thing exists).

And I have to say it's charming as hell. There's a cliche in Spain that the Argentinian guys get all the (Spanish) girls, and I can't blame them, even I find it awesome.

nexen

Holy shit @ that telltale pack
Bought. God damnit. This month is insane.

Question: I thought Walking Dead is multiple episodes? Why does my steam account only have one entry?

Statement: Wallace and Gromit redeemed on Steam even though the website said "windows only" I guess they meant no mac.

Meatbag

Grief.exe

Holy shit @ that telltale pack
Bought. God damnit. This month is insane.

Question: I thought Walking Dead is multiple episodes? Why does my steam account only have one entry?

Statement: Wallace and Gromit redeemed on Steam even though the website said "windows only" I guess they meant no mac.

Meatbag

Walking Dead is 5 episodes, but you can play them all from the one game.

Season 2 is coming out this fall I believe.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

We don't have no damn accent, sir! Seriously, everyone does have one except us porteños.

And I have to say it's charming as hell. There's a cliche in Spain that the Argentinian guys get all the (Spanish) girls, and I can't blame them, even I find it awesome.
Is that true? Looks like I know where I'll be spending my next holidays then :p

Tomodachi

I think you're right about Mexico, and now that I think about it, the letter "C" can be pronounced as "S" or "K", depending on the letter next to it. And "G" can have a soft or strong sound, and "ch" sounds different too (chocolate).

Fuck, Morningbus was right after all: our language isn't easy at all.

Italian is the only language where everything is really read as it's written :p No rules about pronunciation at all, every letter reads always in the same exact way. We don't even know what spelling is in school, except some basics about doubles that might not be obvious from spoken language.

Grammar is a bitch though, there are almost more irregular than regular verbs, I gather it's hell learning it, especially for people with anglosaxon languages.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But it's not an inconsistency; it's a regional (national, actually!) variation. Every single language has those, no exceptions. What's different about English (and perhaps some other languages? Japanese has a very similar pronunciation to Spanish, and pretty much consistent too) is that it has inconsistent pronunciations even within a regional variant (or, indeed, baseline English... if such a thing exists).

With English there is no baseline (no matter what the British want to tell you). Flexibility is part of the language, but there are still distinct pronunciations specific to certain regions and nations. Pronunciation in the US is probably about as consistent as anywhere else in the world, geographically speaking.

The real "problems" with English is that it isn't phonetic and that there is no central authority that preserves the language.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Holy shit TellTale bundle.

Actually made me create a TellTale Category on Steam - I already had most games, so I only paid 1 buck and got what I was missing (which I don't even remember what was it, to tell you the truth. Puzzle Agent 2 and something else).

Amazing Bundle. I just wish it had Jurassic Park. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom