• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the same engine, so you can easily make direct comparisons between this and TWD. But in my opinion these look very slick.

Have we seen it in motion yet? It does look great in screens.

Makes you wonder how they can produce that and have so many other obvious issues unfixed.

MRORANGE

And the next day, MrOrange's account was found in a dark alley with a knife in the back, and a writing in blood on the floor next to him saying the word "BANNED".

I suspect of Cyl. That dude is up to no good.

I wish I knew who bans you, I know Evilore banned me once as my comment got edited.

cicero

yeah I just checked and apparantly I have rising storm now! I didn't even realise I had the GOTY edition. Nice!

You already own Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - GOTY

But I didn't get Rising Storm. I was one of the sad ones who actually paid full pre-release price for Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad too. I DEMAND REPARATIONS.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
But I didn't get Rising Storm. I was one of the sad ones who actually paid full pre-release price for Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad too. I DEMAND REPARATIONS.

Everyone who owns RO2 gets Rising Storm, you just have to pay to use any of the alternative classes. RO2 owners only get to use the rifleman class and no level ups, this way players don't get completely screwed when the server changes to a Rising Storm level.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So just to be sure: I am in fact getting Rising Storm for free and it is not just downloading 7GB of stuff I will be locked out from?

Also I grabbed that HB Weekly, stacking on top of my already huge list of adventure games. Now I have seem to have about 80% of all the adventure games on Steam.

Edit:
Everyone who owns RO2 gets Rising Storm, you just have to pay to use any of the alternative classes. RO2 owners only get to use the rifleman class and no level ups, this way players don't get completely screwed when the server changes to a Rising Storm level.
Ah... so there is no way to have RO2 multiplayer without Rising Storm attached? (my HD space is running low)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wrong Thread.

Don't ban me please.

Heh I actually put it in here more to whine about "wasting" a key than because I thought a trade would actually be possible--who the hell would have an inventory copy of Wallace and Gromit... and why would they want to trade it for a bunch of games including Wallace and Gromit?

Nabs

It looks like Valve just opened up the Steamworks SDK to all Greenlight devs. I'm not 100% sure what it means for the developer, but I'm guessing it could speed up the time it takes to put your game up for sale after being accepted.

Can anyone confirm?

Knurek

Maybe this is a better shot? Apparently this is all gameplay

Oh, I'm not saying that it looks bad or anything like that, just that it's really, really similar to TWD (which I'm playing at the moment).

Slightly different variant of cell shading used, but honestly, the difference isn't all that great.
For example:
the_walking_dead_screenshot_01.jpg

It looks like Valve just opened up the Steamworks SDK to all Greenlight devs. I'm not 100% sure what it means for the developer, but I'm guessing it could speed up the time it takes to put your game up for sale after being accepted.

Can anyone confirm?

I'm guessing they can start working on the steamworks before they get approved this way?

As in like add achievements and what not, so it can go up in the store asap after they get greenlit?

Hmm, wonder when RTCW will go on sale again. I already own the CD version but I'd love it on Steam too, but not for £6. So much nostalgia when playing that game.

I had three bucks of Itchy and Scratchy Steam money so I bought the ability to use a star emoticon in chat.

I think Steam (and me) has finally jumped the shark.

I had three bucks of Itchy and Scratchy Steam money so I bought the ability to use a star emoticon in chat.

I think Steam (and me) has finally jumped the shark.
I gotta say the whole trading card angle just seems like satire come true. Selling imaginary cards in the market, rare foil cards and badges that are just there for the sake of it, crafting emoticons, leveling up your profile. It's weird.

I gotta say the whole trading card angle just seems like satire come true. Selling imaginary cards in the market, rare foil cards and badges that are just there for the sake of it, crafting emoticons, leveling up your profile. It's weird.

That's my conclusion too, it's pretty weird. The future of it is sort of hazy I think... oh know top of page!

jediyoshi

Don't think about it too much.

Free money for everyone!

Grief.exe

I think the trading card system is rather genius.

Its the basic TF2/DOTA2/MMO culture where people enjoy finding and collecting things, and then showing them off to their friends and strangers on the internet.

So they introduced levels and items to bring on that addictive part of your brain.

Then incentivize market purchases by giving the badges tiers and restricting the amount of drops one player can get.

Valve gets a cut for every card, emoticon, and background sold on the market. And I'm sure the content creators (in this case the developers) get a cut of those sales as well.

I just sold a Borderlands 2 foil for $20. Gaben just financed my Summer Sale and Day Z standalone purchases.

Sure, it's hilarious that they get people selling $20 versions of jpgs with silver borders, but it just seems like one of the more blatantly cynical things they've implemented.

That said I hope to come across a foil to pawn off for sale scratch.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think the trading card system is rather genius.

Its the basic TF2/DOTA2/MMO culture where people enjoy finding and collecting things, and then showing them off to their friends and strangers on the internet.

So they introduced levels and items to bring on that addictive part of your brain.

Then incentivize market purchases by giving the badges tiers and restricting the amount of drops one player can get.

Valve gets a cut for every card, emoticon, and background sold on the market. And I'm sure the content creators (in this case the developers) get a cut of those sales as well.

I just sold a Borderlands 2 foil for $20. Gaben just financed my Summer Sale and Day Z standalone purchases.

And, as far as I know, it's totally ok to do hat because, both TF2 (now) and Dota 2 are games that get constant updates that are 100% free and everything you can buy is cosmetic.

So yeah, they should get a percentage of all the cosmetic stuff I don't care about and sell.

jediyoshi

Sure, it's hilarious that they get people selling $20 versions of jpgs with silver borders, but it just seems like one of the more blatantly cynical things they've implemented.

That said I hope to come across a foil to pawn off for sale scratch.

I think it'd be cynical if they sold cards directly themselves or withheld any major Steam features behind earning the cards. Otherwise everything remains functionally the same and feeds into more metagame that people do tend to like.

I think it'd be cynical if they sold cards directly themselves or withheld any major Steam features behind earning the cards. Otherwise everything remains functionally the same and feeds into more metagame that people do tend to like.

Yeah I don't understand the mentality of the people who buy the cards....but then I don't understand why people buy my hats I get from games either.

I look at it the same way I look at people who walk into EB games and pay $110 for the yearly version of Madden or pay $100 for COD on steam. If they want to subsidise my gaming hobby, then much luck to them.

Grief.exe

Anyone want to trade cards?

I have an extra Maxwell, looking for another Don't Starve card.

Need Willow, Wolfgang, or Wilson.

EDIT: Also need to trade Half Life 2 cards

Have an extra Trouble Undergound, need G-Man, Gordon Freeman, Bring the fight to the, Respite, and City 17 Metrocop.

Chronoja

Yeah I don't understand the mentality of the people who buy the cards....but then I don't understand why people buy my hats I get from games either.

I look at it the same way I look at people who walk into EB games and pay $110 for the yearly version of Madden or pay $100 for COD on steam. If they want to subsidise my gaming hobby, then much luck to them.

It's pretty difficult to have real discussions about the whole system when this is the general divide that is forming. People who don't care about the cards are just getting money for basically nothing so everything is roses, they love the system as it is. But the same people, as per the quote, can't understand why someone would want to collect a seemingly trivial set of fake cards.

There's many reasons someone would want to collect the cards, maybe it's just a general sense of ocd or a sense of building your "online persona" to its maximum potential, whatever it is, the ones that would like to collect are getting essentially squeezed for a lot of money for all this. Note that I'm saying those who want to partake, nothing about valve forcing them to do stuff, just that so far with the market being the easiest method of transaction and there being relatively nothing else having purposeful trade value.

The way I see it at the minute, the cards are no different than a game about to get pulled from steam. Each badge is essentially on a time limit. We all know the....prestige of owning one of the games that can no longer be obtained via steam, so losing the opportunity to have a few meta game tasks would sort of suck.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
so, am I crazy......or

Humble Bundle > Steam Sales?

I think Steam would've kept up with the indie bundles if it didn't exist. I remember in 2010 they did some really nice $5 indie bundles for 5 games. Humble Bundle will always better since it's the best indie bundle, though a few of the Groupees bundles have been pretty nice too lately.

Blizzard

Banned

Can anyone confirm?
This would be pretty cool -- what's the source? I have a developer account, but the FAQ (http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=765&section=faq), forum, and news section don't seem to indicate any changes from the old system where you must be approved before you can use the SDK to add Steamworks features.

There's many reasons someone would want to collect the cards, maybe it's just a general sense of ocd or a sense of building your "online persona" to its maximum potential, whatever it is, the ones that would like to collect are getting essentially squeezed for a lot of money for all this. Note that I'm saying those who want to partake, nothing about valve forcing them to do stuff, just that so far with the market being the easiest method of transaction and there being relatively nothing else having purposeful trade value.

True but the two go hand in hand. Without people getting squeezed for money, getting the badges is actually worth less.

I agree out of beta it will probably be better when things open up. If more games start supporting it then everybody will have a heap of cards and it'll all get a bit easier to do actual trading. If anything Valve could help by increasing the amount of drops as others have suggested.

for a moment I read that as Xenoblade... and went OMG YES... ><

Heh, me too. Still good.

ShaneB

Yeah.. Tomb Raider seems fun and all, but so far it feels like just another third person shooter. I want Puzzle Tomb Raider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom