• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
All I kept hearing in the lead-up to FEAR 2's release was how "dumbed down" it was. Although decidedly average and but a shadow of its predecessor in virtually every respect, I don't regret the several hours I spent with it. Can't say I have any desire to play FEAR 3, though, even considering the inclusion co-op.

I actually enjoyed FEAR 3 quite a bit in co-op. As Stitch mentions, the shooting feels great and going through it with a buddy and creating an absurd amount of human carnage is quite gratifying.

Varg

Banned
Bought the new humble bundle excited for two games, back to the future and puzzle agent. Get my steam code and its for all of the games in one. FAIL.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually enjoyed FEAR 3 quite a bit in co-op. As Stitch mentions, the shooting feels great and going through it with a buddy and creating an absurd amount of human carnage is quite gratifying.

Yeah, I've heard good things about co-op play. My mate did buy it on Steam some months ago (at full price :(), so we'll get around to it eventually.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR 2s fucking awesome, it's still got some of the best gun combat out there even if it's not as good as the first games. It's also got better level variety and the mech suits are fantastic, I love that game to bits. It's biggest problem was that due to some of the level design the AI couldn't really navigate as effectively as they did in FEAR 1. They still did a few clever things but they were nowhere as sneaky as FEAR 1s. It's still a wonderfully atmospheric and creepy game and it's ending also completely blind sided me, came out of nowhere.

I do wish they had stuck with what they initially showed in the E3 walkthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Nk_ms9VYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxsonSEq5fE

FEAR 3 is ok but I don't really consider it much of a FEAR game. It's a fun arcade shooter though.

FEAR 2s fucking awesome, it's still got some of the best gun combat out there even if it's not as good as the first games. It's also got better level variety and the mech suits are fantastic, I love that game to bits. It's biggest problem was that due to some of the level design the AI couldn't really navigate as effectively as they did in FEAR 1. They still did a few clever things but they were nowhere as sneaky as FEAR 1s. It's still a wonderfully atmospheric and creepy game and it's ending also completely blind sided me, came out of nowhere.

I do wish they had stuck with what they initially showed in the E3 walkthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Nk_ms9VYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxsonSEq5fE

FEAR 3 is ok but I don't really consider it much of a FEAR game. It's a fun arcade shooter though.

I should try the PC version of F.E.A.R. 2. I have the 360 version, and loved it, but the movement felt really weird for some reason.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I should try the PC version of F.E.A.R. 2. I have the 360 version, and loved it, but the movement felt really weird for some reason.

I played it on 360 as well, played a bit of the PC version and it seemed fine but then I never thought the movement felt that weird so I'm not sure what you'd think of it.

I do wish they had made it harder though, Hard mode was so piss easy in comparison to FEAR 1s difficulties.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
All this F.E.A.R. talk... I have the whole trilogy. I got partially into 2 but then decided I wanted to go through the first one again since it had been ages, but I only beat the first area (before the chopper ride) and it has been a while. While kind of playing them at the same time, the second game was a total joke in comparison. Haven't even booted the third game yet, it's just taking up HD space...

I played it on 360 as well, played a bit of the PC version and it seemed fine but then I never thought the movement felt that weird so I'm not sure what you'd think of it.

It's really hard to explain, but character movement in F.E.A.R. 2 just felt really off to me. Strafing and such, didn't really feel right, at least not when compared to other FPS games on console.

Then again, I've always been the sole person to notice movement problems in this series. I have both the PC and 360 version of the original, and remember bitching about Day 1 not even putting a decent walking animation into the game. Whenever you walked slowly, your character would bop slightly up and down. Very distracting. :p

FYC

Banned
Jedi Academy's campaign is amazing so far, holy shit. Only 2 hours in but honestly prefer it over Outcast. I love having a mission hub, everything seems a lot more polished, there are additional powers / the ability to level them up and you create a custom character(meaning Rodian Jedi).

THIS IS AWESOME

Also Rose Online is boring

Aaron

All I kept hearing in the lead-up to FEAR 2's release was how "dumbed down" it was. Although decidedly average and but a shadow of its predecessor in virtually every respect, I don't regret the several hours I spent with it. Can't say I have any desire to play FEAR 3, though, even considering the inclusion co-op.
FEAR 3 wasn't made by the same developer as FEAR 2. There was this strange disagreement with the publisher after the first FEAR, leading Monolith to start a 'spiritual sequel' while the publisher contract their own version of FEAR 2. The disagreement was settled, and Monolith's game became FEAR 2, but the other F2 was far enough in development that they eventually finished it, and released it as FEAR 3, which is why 3 pretty much ignores the events of 2.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
FEAR 3 wasn't made by the same developer as FEAR 2. There was this strange disagreement with the publisher after the first FEAR, leading Monolith to start a 'spiritual sequel' while the publisher contract their own version of FEAR 2. The disagreement was settled, and Monolith's game became FEAR 2, but the other F2 was far enough in development that they eventually finished it, and released it as FEAR 3, which is why 3 pretty much ignores the events of 2.

Yeah it really felt like things had been shoehorned plot development wise from FEAR 2 into FEAR 3. FEAR 3 also jumped around a lot, it never felt like a cohesive whole or a 'journey' as experienced in FEAR 1 and 2. I like FEAR 3 though, i dont think its great but it's still a decent enough shooter. The multiplayer modes were also pretty cool. Pity it died a death.

Grief.exe

Jedi Academy's campaign is amazing so far, holy shit. Only 2 hours in but honestly prefer it over Outcast. I love having a mission hub, everything seems a lot more polished, there are additional powers / the ability to level them up and you create a custom character(meaning Rodian Jedi).

THIS IS AWESOME

Also Rose Online is boring

Man I cant believe you just shotgunned through the whole series like that.

Impressive. I feel like I would get burned out.

A lot of guys in this thread can take notes on how to actually play their games from you.

HoosTrax

Primordia is an AGS game I assume? The herky-jerky mouse movement in some of those games is really exasperating, and doesn't work, period, in windowed mode (at least for me in the Blackwell games).

Watevaman

I'm going to say I really enjoyed both FEAR 2 and 3. Played them both SP and they were solid shooters to me. To be honest I wasn't a fan of the first.

I used to think Fear 2 was the nadir of the series and things couldn't get any worse. Then I played Fear 3 and realized how wrong I was.

What's really sad in all this is that Fear 2 was the start of Monolith's decline into obscurity. It was their last big/'real' game and that was something like 5 years ago.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
All this F.E.A.R. talk... I have the whole trilogy. I got partially into 2 but then decided I wanted to go through the first one again since it had been ages, but I only beat the first area (before the chopper ride) and it has been a while. While kind of playing them at the same time, the second game was a total joke in comparison. Haven't even booted the third game yet, it's just taking up HD space...
This is the best description I ever read of that abomination. Valve should delete it from Steam's servers, it's wasting precious space that could be used by better games.

Dude, not at all. I think you're talking about F.E.A.R.'s expansions, which were made by TimeGate Studios and are considered non-canon by Monolith.

F.E.A.R. 3 continues the events that happened in 2, such as
Alma raping Becket and getting pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom