• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheaaaa

Borderlands 2 managed to hook me for a solid 60 hours, so I can't complain.

I really don't get how the quests scale with your level though. Completed the base game storyline, then plunged into the DLC.

I was somehow overlevelled and breezed through Captain Scarlett and Torgue's DLC, but as soon as I got to the Hammerlock stuff my weapons from those earlier episodes were hilariously underpowered and I was getting destroyed by the most basic enemies, even though they were my level. Gave up soon after that, it became far too much of a slog and my seemingly useful "rare" guns were suddenly magnitudes worse than basic vending machine crap.

Caerith

Borderlands 2 is a game that fails in its execution of almost everything:

As an RPG: basic leveling system with choices that don't even feel like choices, using attribute points that affect so little they might as well not have bothered with the whole system.

As an FPS: brain-dead enemies and terrible gunplay.

As a loot-whore game: terrible item drops, terrible weapons that never feel significantly more powerful than what you're already using, majority of drops do not genuinely reward exploration or even attempt to tell a story.

As an open-world game: boring, lifeless overworld that exists only to make you spend 10 minutes traversing it in a terrible vehicle towards identical quest lines.

As a co-op game: allows 4 players, which is about the only thing it sets out to do and does correctly.

Edit: This is without even touching the story, which is so bad I actually quietly judge you if you enjoyed it.
Quietly?

As an RPG: basic leveling system with choices that don't even feel like choices, using attribute points that affect so little they might as well not have bothered with the whole system.

As a loot-whore game: terrible item drops, terrible weapons that never feel significantly more powerful than what you're already using, majority of drops do not genuinely reward exploration or even attempt to tell a story.

As an open-world game: boring, lifeless overworld that exists only to make you spend 10 minutes traversing it in a terrible vehicle towards identical quest lines.

As a co-op game: allows 4 players, which is about the only thing it sets out to do and does correctly.

Edit: This is without even touching the story, which is so bad I actually quietly judge you if you enjoyed it.

You're definitely downplaying the co-op implementation which is the reason why the game is as successful as it is. Very few games have implemented co-op as well as Borderlands 2.

Atruvius

Somehow I'm quite skeptical of me liking FTL. Everyone seems to love and everyone's always telling everyone else to buy it. I've been eyeing it for a while and just bought it. Lets see if I'll enjoy it...

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I enjoyed BL2 for ~60 hours, but I played the entire thing co-op with a friend. Solo is a bore just like the first. I was disappointed that the environments were still barren and lifeless, inventory system is annoying and small and makes managing the loot you do get a pain, but I managed.

I only played Siren but I thought the skill trees were done well enough and phaselocking and skill mods for it were fun. Haven't played any of the DLC yet, this was at release. Some of the later guns were actually cool and quite different from the rest.

Borderlands 2 managed to hook me for a solid 60 hours, so I can't complain.

I really don't get how the quests scale with your level though. Completed the base game storyline, then plunged into the DLC.

I was somehow overlevelled and breezed through Captain Scarlett and Torgue's DLC, but as soon as I got to the Hammerlock stuff my weapons from those earlier episodes were hilariously underpowered and I was getting destroyed by the most basic enemies, even though they were my level. Gave up soon after that, it became far too much of a slog and my seemingly useful "rare" guns were suddenly magnitudes worse than basic vending machine crap.

same here. Logged 73 hours so far. It's definitely a flawed game, but not a total abomination.

Addnan

Yes, the only reason I have the play time I have is because I just in with a friend and even then it was mind numbing. That being only 17 hours and couple of that is idling and being away.

KingKong

but PC Gamer said it's one of the 25 best FPS games ever!
I agree with you

Enco

Played BL2 for about 1 or 2 hours.

They said they made the world more full of life but it's the same empty shit as BL1. Seems like a decent game but I have no drive to continue.

Yaska

Sooo... Secret of Magic Crystals apparently got Linux port ( on Steam).

Also BL2 imo, is boring alone, but fun with a right group of friends.

KarmaCow

I can somewhat agree on the other stuff but the weapons in Borderlands 2 are great. I felt like I was getting good upgrades and there was lots of variety.

FloatOn

tumblr_m02aqiq6au1qgdcwao1_500.gif

Bravo, if this was an intentional reference. Magnolia was incredible.

So it's basically every post-UO MMO ever except EVE and every loot game after Diablo II (except maybe PoE which I haven't played).

Yeah, you kind of mindlessly kill things so that you can get bigger numbers to do other quests to kill things, but it does facilitate co-op in a way that makes the whole package something you can gloss over. I did like Siren's ability to gravity squeeze everything and synergizing my skillset to make it an extravagant thing every time I used it.

To hell with not finding stuff that made you feel significantly more powerful though, pre-patch Bee was hilariously busted.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Somehow I'm quite skeptical of me liking FTL. Everyone seems to love and everyone's always telling everyone else to buy it. I've been eyeing it for a while and just bought it. Lets see if I'll enjoy it...

FTL is my game of the year, and I'm not even joking. It's fantastic.

Grief.exe

iZ7rkbNHy2AmI.jpg

Do Skyrim next!!

FloatOn

Nah, some dude slashing and throwing his knife. I should try it with the mask that makes you run faster, should help a lot.

as with every fight in Hotline Miami it just takes twitch reflexes. If you think this boss is bad wait until you get to the last one.

Once you get it down though, the feeling is so good.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Do Skyrim next!!

This isn't even my final form. Get me started on Fantasy (low or high) and you'll see some fucking shit.

I can somewhat agree on the other stuff but the weapons in Borderlands 2 are great. I felt like I was getting good upgrades and there was lots of variety.

To hell with not finding stuff that made you feel significantly more powerful though, pre-patch Bee was hilariously busted.

While the weapons I finished the game with were clearly better than the ones I began with, the actually progression never gave me the feeling of finding something significantly more powerful. It was always minor stat increases that often would amount to 3 less bullets into an enemy that requires dozens.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
iZ7rkbNHy2AmI.jpg

Do Skyrim next!!

Skyrim is a game that fails in its execution of almost everything:

As an RPG: basic leveling system with choices that don't even feel like choices, using attribute points that is so unbalanced they might as well not have bothered with the whole system and just give you permanent god-mode.

As an FPS: brain-dead enemies and terrible swordplay.

As an open-world game: boring, lifeless overworld with some nice views that exists only to make you spend 10 minutes traversing it climbing vertical mountains towards identical quest lines.

Grief.exe

EDIT: Holy shit, we had the same revelation at practically the same time.

iZ7rkbNHy2AmI.jpg

Do Skyrim next!!

Actually I noticed that you could really apply this whole thing to Skyrim and with a couple edits, would work perfectly.

Skyrim is a game that fails in its execution of almost everything:

As an Action-RPG: brain-dead enemies and terrible gameplay.

As an open-world game: boring, lifeless overworld that exists only to make you spend 10 minutes traversing it towards identical quest lines that all end in a linear cave.

Nah, SWTOR has good stories.
I was watching a friend play through that, and I saw a lot of the same collecting yadda yadda number of saber teeth. Then I watched him complete a questline for forming his lightsaber at a temple where it would supposedly be the last lightsaber it ever created; while then seeing other players in the world walk up to that same place to do the exact same thing.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
EDIT: Holy shit, we had the same revelation at practically the same time.

Actually I noticed that you could really apply this whole thing to Skyrim and with a couple edits, would work perfectly.

Does that mean that, if I loved Skyrim, I'll love Borderlands 2?

Because if so, then give me the goddamn GOTY edition already.

Grief.exe

It is really interesting how many similarities these games have.

Both games are incredibly shallow, yet successful with the lowest common denominator and the mainstream press.

I wonder if what Morningbus outlied is the direct formula for a game to achieve success.

LFMAO, internet brofist. :lol

iol9LucCESgZ3.gif

I hated both (altough I only played Borderlands 1) so, it's possible.

Borderlands 2 didn't really change much from the first one.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It is really interesting how many similarities these games have.

Both games are incredibly shallow, yet successful with the lowest common denominator and the mainstream press.

I wonder if what Morningbus outlied is the direct formula for a game to achieve success.

I think that you could apply that description to (m)any blockbuster like CoD, Diablo 3 (from what I hear), and other, at least to some degree.

DILLON_predator.gif

Borderlands 2 didn't really change much from the first one.

Cool, saved myself some pain.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You're definitely downplaying the co-op implementation which is the reason why the game is as successful as it is. Very few games have implemented co-op as well as Borderlands 2.

The only real benefit I see to co-op in the game is having someone who can get you up. The increased health bars are irritating and there are no enemies that really rely on you have each others back like Left 4 Dead's special infected.

So I don't really see how the co-op is well implemented.

Caerith

I think that you could apply that description to (m)any blockbuster like CoD, Diablo 3 (from what I hear), and other, at least to some degree.
It also applies to Darksiders II, but it's brilliant there. See, the game is about the personification of Death, right? And the game will bore you to death. It's so meta even this acronym!

AHA-Lambda

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Does that mean that, if I loved Skyrim, I'll love Borderlands 2?

Because if so, then give me the goddamn GOTY edition already.

I did not like Borderlands (never played BL2), but I did like Skyrim (didn't like Oblivion) largely due to it's massive open world. HOWEVER, I did find the appeal of Skyrim wore off once the repetition set in after many hours.

KingKong

Skyrim is one of the few games that does open world right. It is fun to explore and the world feels alive.

<- biased.

Skyrim has one of the blandest open worlds I've played. Maybe it's the shitty engine or their developers but they couldnt design a good quest to save their life

nexen

Skyrim has one of the blandest open worlds I've played. Maybe it's the shitty engine or their developers but they couldnt design a good quest to save their life

Which recent open worlds are more interesting than Skyrim? I'd like to play those games, if I haven't already. I'd also like to know which games you think have better quest designs, because I really don't see much variance in that department from one rpg to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom