• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to finishing Hotline Miami and Dear Esther from the humble bundle. I gave away the rest of the keys here, since I was only interested in these two.

I had originally saw of GAF when Hotline Miami came out how great it was, and the praise it received. For some reason, it never caught me enough to warrant a purchase. I'm so glad I got this through the humble bundle, because it was actually fun to play. I had heard some of the soundtrack before playing the game, but while playing, the soundtrack works so well, and now I understand why it gets the praise it gets. I went into this game not expecting much, got more than I expected, and am looking forward to the next iteration, which takes place in the 90s supposedly.

Just finished Dear Esther about ten minutes ago, and wow. wow wow wow. I was reading through some old threads about the game when it first came out, and somebody described it as interactive storytelling. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, which I would describe as interactive storytelling, and did not know going into Dear Esther that it would be like that. It was a very relaxing game, and some people may say there's nothing to do, and all I can say is that it's an experience. You don't play the game, you experience it.
Hotline Miami is amazing, I'm glad to hear you liked it. I too bought it without many expectations, only did so because a lot of GAFfers were saying it was great, and I was beginning to become curious. You know the saying "Curiosity killed the cat"? Well, this time not only did it not kill him, but it also gave him a machinegun, shotgun, baseball bat and even a fucking machete, played a kick-ass soundtrack, put him in several locations with a random bunch of thugs and told him to go nuts with them, all the while berating him for enjoying all this pointless violence. This isn't a game, this is a rite of passage. Every person should play this at least once in their lifetimes.

"Hyperbole much", you say? Well, I say that I'm going to run a machete through your neck after having thrown a handgun to your nose and made you trip with a door, with "Miami disco" by Perturbator ringing at full volume in my ears. And disregard my horse mask and the psychedelic backgrounds.

I want to try Dear Esther. Don't know if I'll like it, but it definitely looks interesting.

nexen

I think I like the world in Skyrim way more than say, Fallout 3, or even the way those shots make Morrowind look with the water and jungle aesthetic. Perhaps I am in the minority given the vocal opinions in thie thread, though. I may just be odd in liking the lonely Nordic winter aesthetic, music, and so forth.

You may be the minority on GAF, but Skyrim is a well loved title.

I think the primary problems Skyrim has with this audience is that it is streamlined/dumbed down for mass appeal and it misses many people's sweet spot in the quality vs. quantity balance.

I think I like the world in Skyrim way more than say, Fallout 3, or even the way those shots make Morrowind look with the water and jungle aesthetic. Perhaps I am in the minority given the vocal opinions in thie thread, though. I may just be odd in liking the lonely Nordic winter aesthetic, music, and so forth.

I love it. I'm gonna start posting a crapton of Skyrim panorama's once I get my hands on the Legendary Edition next week. Too bad Morrowind is so overpriced on Steam.

Atruvius

Somehow I'm quite skeptical of me liking FTL. Everyone seems to love and everyone's always telling everyone else to buy it. I've been eyeing it for a while and just bought it. Lets see if I'll enjoy it...

Just stopped playing after hour and a half. Had no idea what to do at the beginning, destroyed many ships and it was awesome. And I really thought I wouldn't like it! If you haven't bought the game, then buy it!

Just stopped playing after hour and a half. Had no idea what to do at the beginning, destroyed many ships and it was awesome. And I really thought I wouldn't like it! If you haven't bought the game, then buy it!

That's the spirit! For some reason turn based games and strategy games in general are just plain painful for me to play, I enjoy them and I'm good at them, but I just don't like them for some strange reason. FTL broke through that boundary though, I think it's because of the rogue-like angle and.... spaceeeeeeeeeeee.

Leeroy605

Hey guys, long term lurker here, want to make a good first impression! Got some spare codes for Thomas Was Alone and Hotline Miami from the latest humble bundle for whoever wants them, just send me a PM.

Also an invite to the Neogaf steam group would be nice :) ID is Mugwuffin

Thanks!

EDIT: All GONE!

factorone

Neo Member
Hey guys, long term lurker here, want to make a good first impression! Got some spare codes for Thomas Was Alone and Hotline Miami from the latest humble bundle for whoever wants them, just send me a PM.

Also an invite to the Neogaf steam group would be nice :) ID is Mugwuffin

Thanks!

EDIT: All GONE!

thanks for Hotline Miami!

Thanks cicero.

Now I'm waiting for steamgifts to come back online (I have been trying for the past two hours, site seems down). I'll ask to join the gaf group if I'm eligible and put out a The Walking Dead steam key.

Nabs

Xenonauts (Early Access) is up for $19.99

What the developers say:

“Xenonauts is still in development and will continue to receive free updates until it is fully
complete. Most of the key features are already in place and the game can certainly be played
in its current state, but it has a few rough edges like as inconsistent game balance,
placeholder UI elements and the occasional missing art assets. You may also encounter bugs
/ crashes. We are working hard to solve all of these issues and *hope* to have the final game
ready later this year.

ss_a3f3483fd1f6d0c0ab746217d6d51d9e9c9fc70a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_60f87cb849e21795380d081d0c1ab01e08e1bf14.1920x1080.jpg

ss_75bae07a46ce8dec998a9ba8bbde8beed4e9acc0.1920x1080.jpg

cicero

FTL is my game of the year, and I'm not even joking. It's fantastic.
It was my GOTY last year too.

I just wish FTL had Steam achievements. Beating that game is something I would want to showcase on my profile.

Weird. For some reason I always had thought it did have Steam achievements. Which is why I planned on getting it on Steam despite having already bought it on GOG.

spectros4

Neo Member
I want to try Dear Esther. Don't know if I'll like it, but it definitely looks interesting.

I'm really looking forward to Amnesia A Machine for Pigs now, since The Chinese Room is developing it in conjunction with Frictional Games. If only I could play the original Amnesia without getting terrible headaches :/
I'll have to push through it eventually. For some reason only Amnesia and Half-Life 2 give me headaches. They're pretty much the only two games left in my backlog too.

Blizzard

Banned
I kind of feel like Swapper is a super generic name as well, but it doesn't LOOK generic. I bought it and will maybe give it a try this weekend. :)

Is Waking Mars any good?
It's nice if you go in looking for a very mellow difficulty. The little robot is kind of annoying but he fucks off after a while. The "action gardening" is nicely realised but doesn't really build up to anything grandiosely emergent. I think it's worth a try.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really looking forward to Amnesia A Machine for Pigs now, since The Chinese Room is developing it in conjunction with Frictional Games. If only I could play the original Amnesia without getting terrible headaches :/
I'll have to push through it eventually. For some reason only Amnesia and Half-Life 2 give me headaches. They're pretty much the only two games left in my backlog too.
I need to keep playing Amnesia. Got to
the monster in the water
and then died; that's when I quitted and never went back. It's really unsettling and creepy, and I'm not ashamed of admitting that I got pretty scared at times.

nexen

I need to keep playing Amnesia. Got to
the monster in the water
and then died; that's when I quitted and never went back. It's really unsettling and creepy, and I'm not ashamed of admitting that I got pretty scared at times.

I didn't have to highlight that spoiler. That part is the scariest bit in any videogame, ever.

You should stop thinking about inferior console versions of games and play more FTL. I got ravaged by yet another crazy old man on my last run. I always pick them up because I end up making noble choices. Let me tell you, there is no nobility in space. Just cold death at the hands of malcontented old curmudgeons who fly into random unexplainable rages. But if the game gave me the choice, I would become one myself. Lying in wait for space travelers. Worrying about strange clouds in the sky. Shaking my fist at them.
Yep. I try to help these poor ships who are lost. I go to the destination which is a quest. Guess what? It's a trap and filthy pirates want me dead.
When I see a space pirate's ship lodge in an asteroid. I always blow them up. It brings a grin to my face.
Well, ran out of missiles to the flagship lol. Stupid shields regenerate so fast especially with stealth. Yeah, 20 missiles isn't enough with that level 3 weapon. It was a stalemate for about 20 minutes, but it was whittling me down even when I had 48% evasion. 3 of my lasers didn't do squat.
Next time, I'm hording my missiles!

Grief.exe

FTL advice

Visit every single point that you can possibly go to before the enemy forces you to the next system.

This way you accrue more crew members, XP, money, etc.

And teleporter is key for the final battle.

zychi

Banned
i have a copy of poker night 1 in my inventory. first person to quote this and establishes a pm convo with me and their steam name gets it

Caerith

FTL advice

Visit every single point that you can possibly go to before the enemy forces you to the next system.

This way you accrue more crew members, XP, money, etc.

And [________] is key for the final battle.
Fixed.

If you ask 100 people the trick to the final battle, 1 will tell you teleporter, 1 will tell you missiles/bombs, 1 will tell you drones, and 97 will tell you they tried all of the above and haven't won yet.

Whooter

Does anybody know if the Civ V Steam codes on sale at Amazon also activate the Mac version, like it does when you buy through Steam?

cicero

Five More Items Greenlit Today:

Rogue Legacy has been at the top of my list of games I was wanting to be Greenlit. You can still pre-order it from the Humble store for $10 with a Steam key guarantee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLD8VzhhDjQ

As for Inquisitor:
Yes, those who bought the game directly from us will get their Steam keys automatically, those that bought the game on GOG.com will have to send us an e-mail request for it.

Stupid question. How can i set it up so that when I launch steam it loads the pages with my installed games? It will only boot me to all my games and that does me no good.

cicero

Stupid question. How can i set it up so that when I launch steam it loads the pages with my installed games? It will only boot me to all my games and that does me no good.
Just go to the "Library" section and click on "All Games" and drag the option down to "Installed".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom