• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Skyrim has one of the blandest open worlds I've played. Maybe it's the shitty engine or their developers but they couldnt design a good quest to save their life
Nah, don't blame the engine. Gamebryo is a piece of shit, but there are plenty of good open worlds that use it.

Which recent open worlds are more interesting than Skyrim? I'd like to play those games, if I haven't already. I'd also like to know which games you think have better quest designs, because I really don't see much variance in that department from one rpg to another.
The answer to both questions is New Vegas.

nexen

Nah, don't blame the engine. Gamebryo is a piece of shit, but there are plenty of good open worlds that use it.
Gamebryo has been out of business for years. Who is using it besides BGS and for what magical games that I've never heard of?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I found that New Vegas, while decent, was much less interesting to explore than Fallout 3.

x71hVIE.gif

The vaults in that game were amazing.

Caerith

Gamebryo has been out of business for years. Who is using it besides BGS and for what magical games that I've never heard of?
Slapping a fresh coat of paint on it and calling it "Creation" doesn't change the fact that Skyrim is still built on Gamebryo. And, well, the only other company using it lately has been Obsidian working for BGS.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I found that New Vegas, while decent, was much less interesting to explore than Fallout 3.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Sajjaja

Which recent open worlds are more interesting than Skyrim? I'd like to play those games, if I haven't already. I'd also like to know which games you think have better quest designs, because I really don't see much variance in that department from one rpg to another.

Obligatory Morrowind post. Seriously, the atmosphere in that game is AMAZING as I am always paranoid about getting jumped. The quest design is great (how many games have a quest where you fill in for a mysteriously missing actor for a play and be expected to memorize his lines within 2 minutes [30 page book by the way] only to have the crowd yell at you for screwing up lines [STUPID!!] and have an attempted assassination on your life?). Exploration in this game is extremely rewarding and tense as you'll never know if you are equipped enough for a dungeon or daedric shrine without taking the risk first.

Also, Saints Row 2 is quite fun in terms of being an open world. Where else can you see people trip over each other and start a brawl that can spring into dozens of other people?

nexen

Obligatory Morrowind post. Seriously, the atmosphere in that game is AMAZING as I am always paranoid about getting jumped. The quest design is great (how many games have a quest where you fill in for a mysteriously missing actor for a play and be expected to memorize his lines within 2 minutes [30 page book by the way] only to have the crowd yell at you for screwing up lines [STUPID!!] and have an attempted assassination on your life?). Exploration in this game is extremely rewarding and tense as you'll never know if you are equipped enough for a dungeon or daedric shrine without taking the risk first.

Morrowind has a more interesting world than Skyrim, I agree. Morrowind is also about 10 years old and made by the same dev studio.

Also, Saints Row 2 is quite fun in terms of being an open world. Where else can you see people trip over each other and start a brawl that can spring into dozens of other people?
The Saint's Row series is fun to fool around in but I'd never call their worlds interesting to explore.

Slapping a fresh coat of paint on it and calling it "Creation" doesn't change the fact that Skyrim is still built on Gamebryo. And, well, the only other company using it lately has been Obsidian working for BGS.
I was replying to the bit where you said plenty of good open worlds made using gamebryo. AFAIK only BGS uses it anymore (and Obsidian that one time through them). Old engine is old. :(

De gustibus non est disputandum.
veritas.

Grief.exe

Morrowind has a more interesting world than Skyrim, I agree. Morrowind is also about 10 years old and made by the same dev studio.

One question.

WTF happened in that 10 years?

Skyrim was one of the best games of all time.

Come on, you gotta be somewhat objective.

Almost no one will agree with you.

Hell Skyrim was top 5 in GAF's RPG list the year it came out, fast forward to 2013 and its barely in the top 30.

nbthedude

That's probably also because you already played Fall Out 3.

I kind of agree but at the same time I think New Vegas had a lot of story elements and factions that were more interesting. It's just that the world itself wasn't as fresh anymore.

I wonder how someone who never played either would view New Vegas coming to it first.

Sajjaja

Yet they are very very different games. I can't help but say that, besides the graphics and the initial awe I got from Skyrim, it's mediocre in doing what it seeks to do.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Skyrim has one of the blandest open worlds I've played. Maybe it's the shitty engine or their developers but they couldnt design a good quest to save their life

Ditto.
Dropped it halfway through, 40 hours clocked...
Tried to get into it again a few days ago, had dragon following me everywhere even with fast travel, got killed three times, rage-quitted. :lol

TronLight

Yet they are very very different games. I can't help but say that, besides the graphics and the initial awe I got from Skyrim, it's mediocre in doing what it seeks to do.
The problem is... What does it seeks to do?
Being a deep RPG? Nah.
A good action game? Neither.
A infinite sandbox? Well, that works, but after a bit it gets boring, not enough things to do, not enough variety.
Selling an awful lot? Ding, ding.

I kind of agree but at the same time I think New Vegas had a lot of story elements and factions that were more interesting. It's just that the world itself wasn't as fresh anymore.

I wonder how someone who never played either would view New Vegas coming to it first.

I played Fallout 3 first, it's why I bought New Vegas. I found that New Vegas was a more interesting world to explore.

KingKong

Here's my biggest issue with Skyrim: there is nothing in the actual world. Almost all the gameplay takes place in dungeons and ruins. There is no reason not to fast travel everywhere because you won't find anything interesting outside

Caerith

It's a shame they didn't use those 10 years to improve on what made Morrowind work.

The Saint's Row series is fun to fool around in but I'd never call their worlds interesting to explore.
There's always stuff to find in Saint's Row, but yeah-- you're still just walking/driving/flying through a city.

I was replying to the bit where you said plenty of devs were using gamebryo to make interesting worlds. AFAIK only BGS uses it anymore (and Obsidian that one time through them)
"Plenty" may have been overdoing it, but the point at least is that Skyrim's faults are not due to the engine it was built on.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame they didn't use those 10 years to improve on what made Morrowind work.

There's always stuff to find in Saint's Row, but yeah-- you're still just walking/driving/flying through a city.

"Plenty" may have been overdoing it, but the point at least is that Skyrim's faults are not due to the engine it was built on.

Tell that to any poor bastard playing it on PS3!

Caerith

I played New Vegas first. I clocked just under 200 hours on my first playthrough. It's definitely in my top ten.

I stand corrected. Not all of Skyrim's faults are due to the engine it was built on.

Ditto.
Dropped it halfway through, 40 hours clocked...
Tried to get into it again a few days ago, had dragon following me everywhere even with fast travel, got killed three times, rage-quitted. :lol

Hated the dragons in that game. Seemed super cool while reading about the development. Terrible when implemented in game. "oh hey, just cruising through tow....holy fuck there is a dragon"

45 hours logged on the PS3. /neveragain

Tomodachi

Hated the dragons in that game. Seemed super cool while reading about the development. Terrible when implemented in game. "oh hey, just cruising through tow....holy fuck there is a dragon"
Yeah that's probably one of the main issue in the game. I think I dropped it mostly for that reason, one dragon too much and that was that. But then again it's a mess of a game that doesn't even know the meaning of game design. There is none, only a bucket of basic features scrapped together in a wasteland that looks always the same.

TronLight

Yeah that's probably one of the main issue in the game. I think I dropped it mostly for that reason, one dragon too much and that was that. But then again it's a mess of a game that doesn't even know the meaning of game design. There is none, only a bucket of basic features scrapped together in a wasteland that looks always the same.
Talking about wasteland, I don't even want to know what they'll do with Fallout 4...
Man, I don't even want to think about it. :(

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Thought this was pretty cool though I'm not sure if it's something you'd start a new thread over it. Despite it being an all digital release they've made a 'cover' for the Rise Of The Triad remake. They're really doing a good job of appealing to old fans like me :p They've also released system specs but it's UE3, you have a good idea if you can run that by now on PC. They've also announced that they're gonna be selling it on GoG, Steam and GreenManGaming and that apparently the GoG and Steam players can play/chat to each other. Is that even something new ? I mean the game uses dedicated servers so I thought it would make sense that they could anyway but I'm not a technical guy so maybe I'm missing something.

Sober

Thought this was pretty cool though I'm not sure if it's something you'd start a new thread over it. Despite it being an all digital release they've made a 'cover' for the Rise Of The Triad remake. They're really doing a good job of appealing to old fans like me :p They've also released system specs but it's UE3, you have a good idea if you can run that by now on PC.
Low FOV settings confirmed.

I enjoyed Skyrim, but I realized without the shout abilities I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the game much at all. It had such beautiful outdoor environments, but I feel like nothing was really done with them. I pre-ordered Borderlands 2 because the price was so low and to be honest I only played it for about a week or so and was over it. I actually liked the first one quite a bit, but the sequel doesn't really bring anything new to the table. Which I guess is a good / bad thing for some.

Grief.exe

Talking about wasteland, I don't even want to know what they'll do with Fallout 4...
Man, I don't even want to think about it. :(

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is gone. No putting points into the stats that you want.

Perks dumbed down further until there are only a few availabe.

shallow world

Gamebryo

I literally put off progressing in the story because I didn't want dragons fucking with my game. Should have put it off longer.

TronLight

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is gone. No putting points into the stats that you want.

Perks dumbed down further until there are only a few availabe.

shallow world

Gamebryo

Stop giving them ideas. :(

I don't understand how dragons could be that much of a problem for someone.

They take way too much time to kill, but not because they're hard or something, but because they keep flying away, so it's impossible to go melee on them and you need lots of arrow to take them down... And they get boring after a while, they're all the same, the only thing that changes it's the breath.
At least for me...

spectros4

Neo Member
Finally got around to finishing Hotline Miami and Dear Esther from the humble bundle. I gave away the rest of the keys here, since I was only interested in these two.

I had originally saw of GAF when Hotline Miami came out how great it was, and the praise it received. For some reason, it never caught me enough to warrant a purchase. I'm so glad I got this through the humble bundle, because it was actually fun to play. I had heard some of the soundtrack before playing the game, but while playing, the soundtrack works so well, and now I understand why it gets the praise it gets. I went into this game not expecting much, got more than I expected, and am looking forward to the next iteration, which takes place in the 90s supposedly.

Just finished Dear Esther about ten minutes ago, and wow. wow wow wow. I was reading through some old threads about the game when it first came out, and somebody described it as interactive storytelling. I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, which I would describe as interactive storytelling, and did not know going into Dear Esther that it would be like that. It was a very relaxing game, and some people may say there's nothing to do, and all I can say is that it's an experience. You don't play the game, you experience it.

Tomodachi

They take way too much time to kill, but not because they're hard or something, but because they keep flying away, so it's impossible to go melee on them and you need lots of arrow to take them down... And they get boring after a while, they're all the same, the only thing that changes it's the breath.
At least for me...
This basically. 20 minutes to kill them, not very easy to get away and there's always the chance that something glitches out on you in awkward ways (npcs killed, dragon flying in unreacheable places, falling through the floor for no apparent reason etc).

nexen

yeah going full melee on something that flies away isn't a problem at all.

Spoiler alert, but you get methods of knocking them out of the sky.

*shrug* I liked Skyrim lots. Exploring the Dwemer ruins was fun and some of the side quests had cool stories. Also the dragon priest quest has me still playing it from time to time - gotta catch 'em all.

The shouts livened up combat over Oblivion and the world was more interesting than Oblivion's. Though I liked Oblivion's quests better, I have to admit.

Morrowind was a high point, sure, but I think you guys see it a lot higher above Skyrim and Oblivion than I do. I think I liked Fallout 3 about as much as I liked Morrowind, come to think of it.

Why does modern marketing hate illustrations? They made for such fascinating, iconic, boxart... (I didn't even know the game, so that's not nostalgia speaking).

I think it's because old video games looked pretty poor and abstract by marketing standards so illustrations were used to make the game look like how they imagined it looking in the player's/designer's head. Nowadays, graphic fidelity is so that you can just kind of hit the print screen button and get something pretty for pretty much free. I agree though, illustrations are rad and people should use them more.

cicero

ylW2S.jpg

After playing FTL for a while, it's more of the latter and less of the former.

I borrowed Skyrim from a friend on ps3. Should I play it? T_T

You should stop thinking about inferior console versions of games and play more FTL. I got ravaged by yet another crazy old man on my last run. I always pick them up because I end up making noble choices. Let me tell you, there is no nobility in space. Just cold death at the hands of malcontented old curmudgeons who fly into random unexplainable rages. But if the game gave me the choice, I would become one myself. Lying in wait for space travelers. Worrying about strange clouds in the sky. Shaking my fist at them.

Blizzard

Banned
I think I like the world in Skyrim way more than say, Fallout 3, or even the way those shots make Morrowind look with the water and jungle aesthetic. Perhaps I am in the minority given the vocal opinions in thie thread, though. I may just be odd in liking the lonely Nordic winter aesthetic, music, and so forth.

Hey guys

I decided to come back on steam (after eight years without playing it, haha). Could I be invited to the gaf group please? I wanted to join the chat to ask but one needs to be in the group to do so. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom