• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real benefit I see to co-op in the game is having someone who can get you up. The increased health bars are irritating and there are no enemies that really rely on you have each others back like Left 4 Dead's special infected.

So I don't really see how the co-op is well implemented.

That's true, it's not really integrated into the core mechanics all that much. I was just thinking more about how well it handles drop-in drop-out playing with your friends and letting you know if someone is too far out of your level range and it giving you credit for quests you complete is a friend's game which are further along in the story than where your character currently is.

It sounds a bit silly to praise Borderlands 2 for that since it seems like things that should just be standard across all games with co-op modes, but that sadly isn't the case.

ArjanN

I loved the high Chaos ending.
Corvo's daughter slowly driven darker and darker (as witnessed by her paintings, audio logs) by my murderous rampage and becoming the opposite of the kind ruler her mother was. Quite satisfying in a morbid way.

The high chaos version of the final level is definitely better IMO.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's true, it's not really integrated into the core mechanics all that much. I was just thinking more about how well it handles drop-in drop-out playing with your friends and letting you know if someone is too far out of your level range and it giving you credit for quests you complete is a friend's game which are further along in the story than where your character currently is.

It sounds a bit silly to praise Borderlands 2 for that since it seems like things that should just be standard across all games with co-op modes, but that sadly isn't the case.

Well the average co-op shooter I play would have zero use for those features.

Do you mean indie activists on GAF or activist websites?

Because all of the indie supporters here seem to be singing its praises.
The internet in a broad sense, though the thread here is criminally small and I think there are like maybe 10 people tops in it who have actually finished.

I can't help but feel a Skyrim discount is in order.

Edit: Bovine Free stole my post!

The Legendary Edition is coming out this week, so maybe.

By the way, is there a way to stop Big Picture mode from rearranging my dual screen orientation? I don't mind it momentarily turning my TV screen into my primary screen, but I do mind that it switches them around like this:

ZaJOjbm.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Legendary Edition is coming out this week, so maybe.

I hope so. I need an excuse to re-dive into the world of... Skyrim. For someone who bought the game because of dragons I did an awful job of making them spawn randomly.

I hope so. I need an excuse to re-dive into the world of... Skyrim. For someone who bought the game because of dragons I did an awful job of making them randomly.

I'm buying the Legendary this week, full price. I have a list with a fuckton of mods ready to try out. I'm gonna try and do some videos about my console peasant experiences with a Skyrim that's been modded to hell and back.

FYC

Banned
I played Global Agenda some back when it was B2P, it seemed pretty fun but I haven't been online in forever.

It's fun but from what I gather it is dead

Shame because I really like this type of MMO. Reminds me of Tabula Rasa. However they're working on GA2 and Firefall is already out there so whatever, but I'll keep playing this for a bit.

I hope so. I need an excuse to re-dive into the world of... Skyrim. For someone who bought the game because of dragons I did an awful job of making them randomly.

I'm still mad at GmG for running out of keys for Dragonborn, that was the last DLC I needed!

JaseC

I'm still mad at GmG for running out of keys for Dragonborn, that was last DLC I needed!

If it's any consolation, the additional discount doesn't apply to Skyrim DLC.

I'm buying theht Legendary this week, full price. I have a list with a fuckton of mods ready to try out. I'm gonna try and do some videos about my console peasant experiences with a Skyrim that's been modded to hell and back.

I'm looking forward to exploring the mod scene now that I have the GPU grunt for it. Back in the day, all I did was increase my carry weight, haha.

Blizzard

Banned
Swapper is a legitimately good indie game so it's gonna get ignored, sorry.

I think it's more that the loudest Indie activists just have poor taste.

The internet in a broad sense, though the thread here is criminally small and I think there are like maybe 10 people tops in it who have actually finished.

I wholeheartedly agree. See them promoting terrible stuff and axing true quality indie gaming on their indie gaming webzines.

This may be true of some people and games, but I don't think Swapper is a good game to make that argument for. For one thing, it's been promoted and/or walked through (http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/29/jonathan-blow-talks-vg247-through-indie-game-the-swapper/) by Jonathan Blow, the Braid developer, who is pretty well-known.

For another thing, it's been backed by the Indie Fund (http://indie-fund.com/2012/03/the-swapper/). Some other games they have backed were Q.U.B.E. (Stallion, I think you liked this game), Monaco (I've played it, seems at least okay in co-op), Dear Esther (well-known and very pretty if not necessarily universally liked), and Antichamber.

For yet another thing, it has received a bunch of attention and awards specific to independent games. From the official thread:
ibtE8art4l7ujx.png

So it's received attention and promotion from a prominent developer(s), it's received backing from an indie game funding source with some other reasonably well-known games, and it's received several awards/recognition specific to indie games. I think it's unfair to act as though it's been ignored, especially ignored because it's good. If people were using some weird subtle form of sarcasm then I apologize; I honestly couldn't tell.

Now if the complaint is that RPS/Giant Bomb/whatever sites haven't been doing prominent videos on it, then that may be true. I don't know. I also think Swapper is not the best name choice to get attention, but that's a tough thing to choose.

Jzero

By the way, is there a way to stop Big Picture mode from rearranging my dual screen orientation? I don't mind it momentarily turning my TV screen into my primary screen, but I do mind that it switches them around like this:

ZaJOjbm.jpg

Ugh, i hate this shit.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Now if the complaint is that RPS/Giant Bomb/whatever sites haven't been doing prominent videos on it, then that may be true. I don't know. I also think Swapper is not the best name choice to get attention, but that's a tough thing to choose.
The game isn't even breaking the top 15 sellers. When I say Indie activists I mean the people who say something and then 10 minutes later Dust is the number 1 seller for 3 days straight.

JaseC

Swapper or Gunslinger?

Either way you're welcome, but you would have bought both anyway to pad your library, I assume. =P

The former! I've grown bored of FC3's indirect focus on menial tasks (...yes, I realise that may seem ironic considering my appreciation for the AssCreed series), so perhaps I'll get around to it sooner rather than later. I do love hand-moulded art, as my early and generous (~$50) investment into The Dream Machine attests to.

This may be true of some people and games, but I don't think Swapper is a good game to make that argument for. For one thing, it's been promoted and/or walked through (http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/29/jonathan-blow-talks-vg247-through-indie-game-the-swapper/) by Jonathan Blow, the Braid developer, who is pretty well-known.

For another thing, it's been backed by the Indie Fund (http://indie-fund.com/2012/03/the-swapper/). Some other games they have backed were Q.U.B.E. (Stallion, I think you liked this game), Monaco (I've played it, seems at least okay in co-op), Dear Esther (well-known and very pretty if not necessarily universally liked), and Antichamber.

For yet another thing, it has received a bunch of attention and awards specific to independent games. From the official thread:
ibtE8art4l7ujx.png

So it's received attention and promotion from a prominent developer(s), it's received backing from an indie game funding source with some other reasonably well-known games, and it's received several awards/recognition specific to indie games. I think it's unfair to act as though it's been ignored, especially ignored because it's good. If people were using some weird subtle form of sarcasm then I apologize; I honestly couldn't tell.

TotalBiscuit covered the game, very positively I may add. I myself am going to pick it up on the back of all the good impressions here and elsewhere, but only after it goes on sale. Can't quite justify the price with my massive backlog.

Arksy

Can anyone help me out...

Are there any resolution, texture and other quality of life mods for The Longest Journey? (the original)

I've scoured google and the steam forums but really couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance!

Blizzard

Banned
TotalBiscuit covered the game, very positively I may add. I myself am going to pick it up on the back of all the good impressions here and elsewhere, but only after it goes on sale. Can't quite justify the price with my massive backlog.
Cool, I didn't know about that.

The game isn't even breaking the top 15 sellers. When I say Indie activists I mean the people who say something and then 10 minutes later Dust is the number 1 seller for 3 days straight.
I think you're drawing an inaccurate parallel between people who buy games on Steam and people who post on forums (or whatever you mean by "say something"). I thought yesterday Swapper might have been in the top 15, but today it's #16. Dust is down to #32.

I think it's a bit to be expected if Dust outsells Swapper though. I would say Dust has more mass appeal than what's almost a pure puzzle game. Dust screenshots have pretty colors, recognizable characters, and perhaps community interest -- Swapper has an astronaut suit in the dark solving light beam puzzles. They're clever light beam puzzles, and the dark has a cool atmosphere, but it's probably a tougher sell.

People have tried, it's just not easy to get people to pay 15 for an indie puzzle game. I can't even get people to play ones they even own! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOaqTECyb0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnHDPtUmUE
Nabs also raises a good point. Imagine if instead of an indie puzzler/platformer, Swapper were an indie tower defense game. And people were like "trust us, THIS one is different and more awesome than all the other indie tower defense games, you should totally throw $10 at it". :p

I'm always wondering about the machanics which decide if a game becomes a bestseller for days or disappears without breaking the top 10. It doesn't seem to follow any predictable patterns.

That said, I'm bad at writing reviews or recommendations for games (or writing anything, really) but more people should pick up The Swapper. At first I though it was hard to recommend for the price since it's only 5h long, but I like it more and more as time passes.

It seems like it doesn't get a lot of recommendations since it's a slow and really quiet game, where it's hard to point to a single thing and say "the battle system is fantastic and it has great loot". It's a slow burn, a visually beautiful cerebral puzzler that is just a great experience. The puzzles are designed in such a way that one puzzle stumped me during my first AND second playthrough. You're just not used to thinking the way the game requires you to.

I really hope it does well in the long run.

Grief.exe

As people have said you can't really compare those games 1:1. Especially a puzzle game to a metroidvania action-RPG.

Correlation does not imply causation, not even close in this case. Common fallacy.

ShaneB

Are there any resolution, texture and other quality of life mods for The Longest Journey? (the original)

I've scoured google and the steam forums but really couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance!

Not that I was ever aware of. My advice is to just play the game in windowed mode. edit: looks like I was a little slow as to what grief posted. My advice still stands!

sunnz

Anyone know of any good Driver: San Francisco deals?

Really craving it, I don't want to buy it cause I fear it will go on sale soon.

Nabs

How is that Call of Juarez Gunslinger? I was watching my uncle play it on his Xbox and it looked ridiculous, but amusing.

It's really good. It's a fun shooter with a neat way of telling a story. The main game runs about 5 hours, but it can be replayed a bunch thanks to New Game+ and Arcade Mode. It's definitely worth the pickup.

JaseC

Anyone know of any good Driver: San Francisco deals?

Really craving it, I don't want to buy it cause I fear it will go on sale soon.

As far as I can tell there are no discounts, but Steam's Summer Sale is around the corner (4~8 weeks away) and history suggests that at the very least you can expect a 33% discount.

I loved DSF, but if you're one for secondary content, as I am, you'll find yourself using only 3 or 4 cars throughout the entire game as you can easily upgrade and your future vehicle of choice will last you a good while. I'd say the car I used most percentage-wise is the Fort GT: I bought it while on the first island and didn't upgrade until well into the second.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is some of the best 9€ I've ever spent on a game. Short but sweet with extremely satisfying gameplay that leads to great replay value. I wouldn't mind more FPS going this route to be honest.

Blizzard

Banned
It's really good. It's a fun shooter with a neat way of telling a story. The main game runs about 5 hours, but it can be replayed a bunch thanks to New Game+ and Arcade Mode. It's definitely worth the pickup.
I'm accepting this as your "impressions" post. :p Now only Miker remains!

How is that Call of Juarez Gunslinger? I was watching my uncle play it on his Xbox and it looked ridiculous, but amusing.
I've sung its praises and bought the game for free for people enough in the Steam thread, but you can read some of the very positive impressions in the Gunslinger thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562777

The narration, soundtrack, gunplay, and story all work very well together in my opinion. It's a polished game. If you don't find the wild west cowboy style too silly or unappealing, well worth $10-15.

theytookourjobz

The Swapper is great so far (only a half hour in) and I'm happy to buy an indie game on release to support the devs. Voting with my wallet feels good.

Overdoziz

Banned
Having to wait for elevator doors to open or having to click through dialogue every time you die in Hotline Miami is a bit annoying. I mean, 90% of the time this isn't the case, but you'd think they would streamline that. I want to be able to get into the action straight away after pressing 'R'. That's the entire point of the gameplay.

Aside from that I've been really enjoying the game so far. The best thing is to just grab a melee weapon and run your way through a level knocking people out as you go. Good times.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks in advance!
I'm currently playing this game too!

No mods that I know of, though I only did a 2 minutes search on Google, and saw that the resolution couldn't be changed. Oh well, the game is still funny, and I'm enjoying it anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
Having to wait for elevator doors to open or having to click through dialogue every time you die in Hotline Miami is a bit annoying. I mean, 90% of the time this isn't the case, but you'd think they would streamline that. I want to be able to get into the action straight away after pressing 'R'. That's the entire point of the gameplay.

Aside from that I've been really enjoying the game so far. The best thing is to just grab a melee weapon and run your way through a level knocking people out as you go. Good times.
Side note, this is something that Gunslinger does right and a lot of games probably have problems with.

In Mirror's Edge there's a place where the radio goes "The train, Faith. Take the train." For me I would go SPLAT like 5 times and hear that over and over. Or worse, there was at least one checkpoint right behind a slow-spinning door so you'd have to wait on it every single time you died. In Gunslinger, you hear the narration stuff the first time you run into an area, and then if you die and retry, the load is pretty quick and the narration doesn't replay! I think if you fail maybe 5+ times in a row it will play again to remind you, but at least it's not every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom