• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
Side note, this is something that Gunslinger does right and a lot of games probably have problems with.

In Mirror's Edge there's a place where the radio goes "The train, Faith. Take the train." For me I would go SPLAT like 5 times and hear that over and over. Or worse, there was at least one checkpoint right behind a slow-spinning door so you'd have to wait on it every single time you died. In Gunslinger, you hear the narration stuff the first time you run into an area, and then if you die and retry, the load is pretty quick and the narration doesn't replay! I think if you fail maybe 5+ times in a row it will play again to remind you, but at least it's not every time.
I really don't understand how so many developers make this mistake. There are checkpoints in plenty of games which you can immediately see are horrible and yet they made it into the game. I remember in Gears 1 there's a moment right before a fairly challenging battle where you walk slowly for about half a minute talking to someone over the radio before actually getting into the fight. Every time you died you had to go through that entire dialogue again. I don't get it.

Played Proteus. Deleted Proteus.

There are definitely worse ways to spend 30 minutes, but charging 10€ for it is a bad joke.
The first change of seasons blew my mind a tiny little bit I have to admit though.

Got it for free (thanks HoosTrax) and that's about what I'd pay for it.

FloatOn

I started Tomb Raider and it's not nearly as crappy as I was led to believe. The QTE and character stereotypes are annoying but so far haven't ruined my enjoyment.

I've never played an Uncharted game so my expectations are probably in the right place.

When did Dungeon Siege I and II become available individually?
They're also on sale at S-E's online shop for 1,74€ each. Time to make an account there I guess.

Overdoziz

Banned
I started Tomb Raider and it's not nearly as crappy as I was led to believe. The QTE and character stereotypes are annoying but so far haven't ruined my enjoyment.

I've never played an Uncharted game so my expectations are probably in the right place.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much freedom you have to move around at times. Sadly it never really allows you to approach encounters in varying ways because 95% of the fights you have are in linear corridors. There are quite some times when you can roam around freely, but aside from the tombs there wasn't really anything interesting to find. Even tombs while fun to do ultimately didn't get you much aside from EXP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Surprisingly, my biggest issue with Tomb Raider 2013 is just how easy the combat encounters are with the kb&m. The added precision makes headshots an afterthought rather than something to aspire to. This is particularly obvious in the later stages of the game where the added enemies encourage you to aim for the head and you can down them without even blinking.

I'm crazy LTTP...but please tell me there is some way to change the resolution in Hotline Miami?

Surprisingly, my biggest issue with Tomb Raider 2013 is just how easy the combat encounters are with the kb&m. The added precision makes headshots an afterthought rather than something to aspire to. This is particularly obvious in the later stages of the game where the added enemies encourage you to aim for the head and you can down them without even blinking.

It definetely gets easier as you get the increased skills. I like the progression the game made...starting from nothing, working your way up. But somewhere in the middle there is a complete jump from "you must protect her" to "shes a godless killing machine"

CheeseCakeRecipe, thanks again for the Dear Esther code. Got my panorama on.

dearesther2ksudz.png

I've made some more, but those are a lot bigger. I'll link 'em if anybody wants to see them:

- This one is JPEG because the PNG version was over 30 megabytes.
- This one is PNG, but slightly compressed, because the original was 15 megs.

JaseC

It definetely gets easier as you get the increased skills. I like the progression the game made...starting from nothing, working your way up. But somewhere in the middle there is a complete jump from "you must protect her" to "shes a godless killing machine"

Using a gun felt like cheating. I opted for the bow simply because A) It didn't matter, and B) It felt nice. In Skyrim my greatest accomplishment is shooting an arrow at a guard patrolling a gate wall from fuck-knows-how-far-away and getting a headshot.

I didn't kill the guy, though, because Bethesda sure loves enemy scaling.

JaseC

Using the bow [FTNP: in Tomb Raider 2013] did prove difficult in Shantytown because of the ridiculous and almost inexplicable FPS drop. Smokey actually discovered that the game doesn't properly utilise SpeedStep and so it never maxes out your CPU.

Oh, Nixxes. What a rookie mistake.

JaseC

It prompts you to pay more for it.

Actually when I looked it up before it seems to be some backlight option for Alienware keyboards that sync it up to the game's music.

Alienware is accelerating its transition into irrelevance. Even for a quintessential example of hubris that is nauseatingly obnoxious.

Enco

Just got Hotline Miami and holy crap it's awesome.

Music is amazing and damn what a brutal but gripping game.

New launcher/beta is great. Haven't tried it yet but no windowed mode was a joke. I never play windowed but I feel this game will fit well in windowed mode.

I'm also playing Tomb Raider and Mark of the Ninja (along with Dota 2). Gaming fucking rocks.

FloatOn

Sucks to hear about the linearity of Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the freedom Dishonored gave me immensely.

If I bail on Tomb Raider, I'm going to do Metro Last Light. Which may be a dumb move on my part because I haven't played 2033 or the STALKER games.

TheD

The Detective
Using the bow [FTNP: in Tomb Raider 2013] did prove difficult in Shantytown because of the ridiculous and almost inexplicable FPS drop. Smokey actually discovered that the game doesn't properly utilise SpeedStep and so it never maxes out your CPU.

Oh, Nixxes. What a rookie mistake.

Speedstep is a hardware feature, nothing should have to be programmed for it.

Grief.exe

Sucks to hear about the linearity of Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the freedom Dishonored gave me immensely.

If I bail on Tomb Raider, I'm going to do Metro Last Light. Which may be a dumb move on my part because I haven't played 2033 or the STALKER games.

You didn't get 2033 for free? Or in the THQ bundle?

Stalker isn't connected in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom