• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

I finished Proteus. It's crazy overpriced but I got it from HB8 so it's ok.

I... actually enjoyed those 40 minutes. I think the developer should make an horror game next, I had the shivers a couple times playing on headphone and all the lights off, it was all very immersive and atmospheric and all those stuff that gamers usually can't stand but hey, they're ok once in a while, if you know what you're getting into.

I'm not very proud to admit that at some point I noticed an owl spying on me from a tree and I freaked out a bit. Just a bit though!

kswiston

How many people here actually keep all of their Steam games installed? Last year, I had to move my Steam folder from a 1TB HDD that housed all of my PC games, to a new 2TB drive that contains nothing but Steam. I'm already down to 800GB on that Drive. At this rate I will have to buy an even larger drive in a year or two or just abandon the dream of having everything installed at all times...

How many people here actually keep all of their Steam games installed? Last year, I had to move my Steam folder from a 1TB HDD that housed all of my PC games, to a new 2TB drive that contains nothing but Steam. I'm already down to 800GB on that Drive. At this rate I will have to buy an even larger drive in a year or two or just abandon the dream of having everything installed at all times...
Having everything installed is insanity. I keep everything that I'll play with a reasonable timeframe installed, else I can download it when I need it. Though I can understand being recalcitrant to that if you have bandwidth limits.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I keep nearly all of my games installed (minus those in the "Ignore" category I created), but it's getting harder and harder. I'm about to move my digital comic collection to the linux partition so I can maintain my Steam library the way I like it. I could just delete some games in the "Completed" category, but eh.

kswiston

Having everything installed is insanity. I keep everything that I'll play with a reasonable timeframe installed, else I can download it when I need it. Though I can understand being recalcitrant to that if you have bandwidth limits.

Yup, Canada GAF. My cap is decent at the moment (300GB/month) but I move a lot for work, so who knows what I will be stuck with a year or two from now.

Exeunt

Yup, Canada GAF. My cap is decent at the moment (300GB/month) but I move a lot for work, so who knows what I will be stuck with a year or two from now.

I hear you. Budgeting downloads is a necessary evil up here. Well, I'd imagine that's the case for many of us anyway.

I'd love to play Bioshock Infinite before it gets spoiled for me, but dat 15 gig download...

TheD

The Detective
Yeah, I'd be curious about a link for this. I wasn't even aware of it being really possible for normal software to override Speedstep.

I might of been a bit wrong in my post.

Turns out SpeedStep needs OS kernel support, but I do not see how a game should have any control over it.

Also, SpeedStep is the dynamic downclocking, you do not want a game to be using it anyway.

Saw this on reddit:

5zbUCWN.png

Hnnngggh

Just looking at those speeds gives me a boner. With a connection like that I'd never need to keep more than a couple of games installed. Within minutes I could be playing any game I own.

Miker

Okay, so our based Blizzard kindly gifted me a gift of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger in order for more people to enjoy the game and evangelize about its quality, and here I am.

I'm two hours or so into Gunslinger (about 2/5 of the way through), and it's been a great ride so far. It's a Wild West shooter by way of Bastion, and that means six-shooters, dynamite, and narration with a voice so gravelly you'll feel thirsty after playing. The narrative is prevalent throughout the entire game, and has some "cute" moments that remind me of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, in which our bounty hunter hero, Silas Greaves, corrects himself or his listeners, with the level rewinding or changing to match.

The story itself is a bit of a mixed bag, but I might be in the minority here. As it follows the escapades of a bounty hunter, the plot is a series of names and epithets that draws on every single real-life figure in Wild West mythology. Two hours in, I can barely keep track of I'm hunting now, or who I just took down last mission. I think people who have a love for the era will get far, far more mileage out of the story than I have so far, but then again, I'm only 2/5 of the way in, so take my criticisms with a grain of salt.

I may not adore the story, but it's fine because the shooting is really goddamn solid. Mostly solid mouse controls (acceleration option included), lots of feedback from shooting, and punchy sound effects round out a game that nails the shooting from an audiovisual perspective. There's a skill tree that has some fun options and a combo system that rewards player skill as well.

My main criticism actually lies in the visuals. Don't get me wrong - while they're great from a technical/performance and artistic standpoint, the colors are just are incredibly oversaturated. Blacks are crushed, contrast is cranked up way too high, and as a result the game is literally more difficult to play when you can't pick out enemies from the environment. I personally think SweetFX is something of a necessity in terms of making the visuals more palatable and playable, but from what I've seen in the hi-res screenshots thread, some people love the hypersaturated look, so again, it's up to the player.

I'll post more later, although I think I can safely say that for $15, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a fun, polished, and satisfying shooter that deserves to be played. And for my tastes, it's better than Blood Dragon.

Megasoum

Banned

What ISP are you using?

Videotron and Bell both offer unlimited bandwith now in Quebec... It's so incredibly liberating to suddenly have unlimited bandwith for the first time since I'm on cable with Videotron in 1998.

FloatOn

You didn't get 2033 for free? Or in the THQ bundle?

Stalker isn't connected in any way.

Oh I totally have 2033, I think I picked it up in the THQ bundle. I just never took the time to play it. My friend with too much extra income gifted me Last Light and I'd feel like a jerk if I don't play it some time soon.

I thought I read that Stalker and Metro were both based on the same books or something. Glad to hear that's not the case and I'm not obliged to dive into Stalker. As good as that game looks I just don't have time for a super lengthy game right now.

Oh I totally have 2033, I think I picked it up in the THQ bundle. I just never took the time to play it. My friend with too much extra income gifted me Last Light and I'd feel like a jerk if I don't play it some time soon.

I thought I read that Stalker and Metro were both based on the same books or something. Glad to hear that's not the case and I'm not obliged to dive into Stalker. As good as that game looks I just don't have time for a super lengthy game right now.

Stalker is not really that super lengthy, like 20 hours if you don't do everything, it is however completely brilliant and far better than 2033 :). I just played through Pripyat for the first time, amazing experience.

FloatOn

Stalker is not really that super lengthy, like 20 hours if you don't do everything, it is however completely brilliant and far better than 2033 :). I just played through Pripyat for the first time, amazing experience.

Nice. I'm going to get into Stalker right around the time I get into Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I'll chime in here with what post apocalyptic wasteland is best.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I do. The only ones I don't have installed are those games I consider to be the shittiest of the worst shit the indie scene has to offer. Which may be unfair, because I never gave them a chance, but it's not like I can feel guilty with so many other unplayed games on my account.

HoosTrax

I do. The only ones I don't have installed are those games I consider to be the shittiest of the worst shit the indie scene has to offer. Which may be unfair, because I never gave them a chance, but it's not like I can feel guilty with so many other unplayed games on my account.
Same here.

hddqe.png

Don't really see the problem. Everything's available to play almost instantly. By the time I run out of space, they'll have like 5TB drives or something exotic.

I'm kind of interested in COJ gunslinger but the summer seal is sooo close now. Then again, it might not get any kind of appreciable discount then anyway. But then again, I have no shortage of other stuff to play right now. Confusion!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm kind of interested in COJ gunslinger but the summer seal is sooo close now. Then again, it might not get any kind of appreciable discount then anyway. But then again, I have no shortage of other stuff to play right now. Confusion!

I could see a 33% off deal. 10$ would be a pretty sweet deal for the game.

kswiston

What ISP are you using?

Videotron and Bell both offer unlimited bandwith now in Quebec... It's so incredibly liberating to suddenly have unlimited bandwith for the first time since I'm on cable with Videotron in 1998.

Teksavvy. In the past 4 years, I have been with Videotron (when I lived in Quebec City), Bell and Rogers. All had caps between 70-125GB/month at the time. During a big Steam sales I would have to ration my downloads over 2-3 months.

Played the Gunslinger demo and it just reminded me that I have a copy of Red Dead that I never played. I should get to that. For now, Gunslinger's gonna get wishlisted.

Haven't touched a Call of Juarez game since the first but they've gone a long way since restricting you from attacking anything that wasn't strictly an enemy in the original. I think I remember seeing my crosshair cross out and not allow me to shoot a chair of all things.

Acorn

Played the Gunslinger demo and it just reminded me that I have a copy of Red Dead that I never played. I should get to that. For now, Gunslinger's gonna get wishlisted.

Haven't touched a Call of Juarez game since the first but they've gone a long way since restricting you from attacking anything that wasn't strictly an enemy in the original. I think I remember seeing my crosshair cross out and not allow me to shoot a chair of all things.

I envy that you are about to experience that game for the first time. So good.

I just finished Proteus and I actually liked it quite a bit. Walking around, exploring the island, and listening to how the environment and animals affected the music was enjoyable. I thought the pacing was good as each season was long enough to explore the island and see what had changed without dragging on too much. Watching the seasons change was also really great. The ending was especially impressive and a definite "wow" moment.

I would definitely recommend picking up the current humble bundle and playing it.

So I posted this in another thread and was directed here. Somebody recommended the humble bundle, but I'm sure there are plenty of other great games!

I just recently discovered that my shitty toshiba laptop can actually run some games pretty well, I think I had tried to play Penumbra years ago on it and had all kinds of problems, so I kind of assumed the video card was too crap to run anything.

But a couple of weeks ago I got Half Life 2 on a whim and can run it on all of the highest settings, so I started getting more PC games, I currently have condemned: criminal origins, which runs at about 45 fps when i tweak the settings with decent graphics, source engine games run fine, Amnesia runs at about 30 fps with some tweaks on the higher graphic settings.

I'm just looking for some recommendations for lower spec games that I can enjoy as I'm new to PC gaming and really digging the keyboard/mouse controls and higher framerates. Any help would be much appreciated!

btw it's a Satellite L505D-S5983, AMD Athlon II dual-core m300 with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200 and 3gb ddr2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speedstep is a hardware feature, nothing should have to be programmed for it.

Brain fart on my part. I meant that the game doesn't cause the CPU to kick into high gears and so you need to disable SpeedStep entirely if you want to remove the bottleneck. It's a particularly strange scenario considering how CPU-limited Shantytown is.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I posted this in another thread and was directed here. Somebody recommended the humble bundle, but I'm sure there are plenty of other great games!

I just recently discovered that my shitty toshiba laptop can actually run some games pretty well, I think I had tried to play Penumbra years ago on it and had all kinds of problems, so I kind of assumed the video card was too crap to run anything.

But a couple of weeks ago I got Half Life 2 on a whim and can run it on all of the highest settings, so I started getting more PC games, I currently have condemned: criminal origins, which runs at about 45 fps when i tweak the settings with decent graphics, source engine games run fine, Amnesia runs at about 30 fps with some tweaks on the higher graphic settings.

I'm just looking for some recommendations for lower spec games that I can enjoy as I'm new to PC gaming and really digging the keyboard/mouse controls and higher framerates. Any help would be much appreciated!

btw it's a Satellite L505D-S5983, AMD Athlon II dual-core m300 with ATI mobility Radeon HD 4200 and 3gb ddr2.
Hotline Miami feels wonderful on the mouse and keyboard and should play fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I used to, but I don't have the space these days short of spreading my games across various drives. Currently I have somewhere between one-fourth and one-fifth of my library installed and I still need to uninstall a bunch of games on the odd occasion (the 2TB drive I use for Steam has just 10.1GB free at present).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom