• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
y7jA0rm.png

pxiOEo0.png

B88VEXX.png

I never bought these... no free play happening on Steam... I have them... but it doesn't say I own them... WTF is going on.

koolaroo

y7jA0rm.png

pxiOEo0.png

B88VEXX.png

I never bought these... no free play happening on Steam... I have them... but it doesn't say I own them... WTF is going on.
There was a free weekend last weekend so that might have something to do with it. Ether that or you have been unlucky enough to somehow get the game free.

zkylon

zkylewd
New deals:
[Amazon - Deals of the Week]
dem activision deals rofl

Vecks

After actually playing the games, I don't feel that the newest Humble Bundle is that great anymore.

Hotline Miami is obviously great and I'm having fun with Thomas Was Alone... but Proteus, Little Inferno and Dear Esther were kinda misses for me, even though I completed the latter two. I'll see how I feel about Awesomenauts or Capsized.

Hotline Miami, Thomas, Awesomenauts and Capsized have been the highlights for me from what little I've played of everything.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Sonic Generations? I can't get over the controls. I feel like I am constantly fighting it, just trying to get sonic to go or jump where I want. I feel like I have to press the jump button far before I actually want to jump because the jump feels so sluggish, which shouldn't be in a game about speed. I have also fallen through the world twice. The 3d sonic levels are fun, but the classic sonic levels are just a drag. I haven't played a single "2d" sonic level that I actually enjoyed yet. And whose idea was it to have all of these unavoidable water sections. Why slow it down so much. I just wanna go fast.

I was really looking forward to finally playing this.

Exeunt

With Bioshock Infinite or something else? I recall the Modern Warfare CD key purge but I wasn't aware of it happening with keys otherwise.

So there could be sketchy Bioshock Infinite keys floating around right now? If so, that's not good. The disc is on sale here in Canada for $29.99 though... I'm guessing it'll be cheaper later this year, and that there will likely be a GOTY edition at some point—but none of the DLC is even out yet, right? I'm considering jumping in before the sale ends on Thursday, but I'm not sure if that's the best option yet.

Oh come on Activision, just drop the first BLOPS at 10 bucks already. I am itching to play a short cinematic single player campaign for the last couple of weeks, I am so close to reinstalling MW2, just give people a break already, it's been three fucking years.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Sonic Generations? I can't get over the controls. I feel like I am constantly fighting it, just trying to get sonic to go or jump where I want. I feel like I have to press the jump button far before I actually want to jump because the jump feels so sluggish, which shouldn't be in a game about speed. I have also fallen through the world twice. The 3d sonic levels are fun, but the classic sonic levels are just a drag. I haven't played a single "2d" sonic level that I actually enjoyed yet. And whose idea was it to have all of these unavoidable water sections. Why slow it down so much. I just wanna go fast.

I was really looking forward to finally playing this.
It was the first Sonic game I played through in 19 years, and ehh. I guess the Sonic bar dropped enough that people can look at it positively, but I didn't care for it either. 2D Sonic stages were off, the physics weren't as good, there was a lack of power ups, didn't care for the challenge stages required to unlock the next sections; they felt like filler. The 3D side of things were about as good as it ever was, which is to say not very. Just couldn't get into it, it went all over the place and nothing that really proved to me that they get it.

Ah thanks, apparently some had to do with the Korean AMD promo which I believe was the source of mine as well.

Grief.exe

So there could be sketchy Bioshock Infinite keys floating around right now? If so, that's not good. The disc is on sale here in Canada for $29.99 though... I'm guessing it'll be cheaper later this year, and that there will likely be a GOTY edition at some point—but none of the DLC is even out yet, right? I'm considering jumping in before the sale ends on Thursday, but I'm not sure if that's the best option yet.

I'm guessing you are new to PC, if not then don't listen.

You have to be very careful where you buy CD keys, there are some places that are very reputable and some that are not.

Steam, Amazon, GMG, Gamefly, Gamersgate, Impulse, I am most likely forgetting or not aware of other reputable retailers.

The last thing you want to do is buy from a CD-key store that sells keys that were purchased with stolen credit cards. Than Steam will revoke your key and you will be out the money and the game.

Exeunt

You have to be very careful where you buy CD keys, there are some places that are very reputable and some that are not.

Steam, Amazon, GMG, Gamefly, Gamersgate, Impulse, I am most likely forgetting or not aware of other reputable retailers.

The last thing you want to do is buy from a CD-key store that sells keys that were purchased with stolen credit cards. Than Steam will revoke your key and you will be out the money and the game.

I am indeed new to the PC scene, having just installed Bootcamp in the past couple months. I didn't know that keys purchased with stolen credit cards were even an issue; I've purchased keys from some people on GAF and those worked just fine, but that's really good to know.

Bioshock Infinite is being discounted here at Wal-Mart and Futureshop, so I doubt the CD keys would be an issue if I were to take that route—plus installing from a disc would remove the data cost. Don't know what I'm doing there yet, but I guess I won't be purchasing a key unless it's directly from one of those retailers.

A short rule of thumb would be any site that appears on xelios' sales list posts.

Ah, that works. Most of them are listed on Steamgamesales too—convenient.

Chronoja

A short rule of thumb would be any site that appears on xelios' sales list posts.

After actually playing the games, I don't feel that the newest Humble Bundle is that great anymore.

Hotline Miami is obviously great and I'm having fun with Thomas Was Alone... but Proteus, Little Inferno and Dear Esther were kinda misses for me, even though I completed the latter two. I'll see how I feel about Awesomenauts or Capsized.

Hotline is pretty great, Thomas is solid as well. Gave away the two walking simulators. Still trying to figure out Little Inferno, but its looking like it is what it is....buy shit to burn, rinse repeat. HLTB says 3.5 hours, which is fine by me.

Still need to check out Awesomenauts and Capsized, but looking forward to both.

cicero

I felt the same thing. Actually, I think the current Groupees Be Mine 8 Bundle has more value.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Man, this shit is shameful.

[Humble Bundle Weekly]
  • $1.00+
    • Back to the Future: The Game
    • Hector: Badge of Carnage
    • Poker Night at the Inventory
    • Puzzle Agent 1 & 2
    • Sam & Max: Devil’s Playhouse (Season 3)
    • Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures

They're doing the same thing with Alan Wake.

[Humble Bundle Weekly]
  • $1.00+
    • Puzzle Agent 1 & 2

It sucks, but I'm not really sure what can be done about it.

Some people are just greedy opportunists.

I fired up Dota 2 last night for the first time to get a feel for it. I think I need to mess around with the settings a bit. I didn't like the screen scroll (having to use the middle mouse button and dragging). Hopefully that's something that can be changed. I also couldn't quite figure out when you have resources to call in and help vs. when you have to go it alone with your hero.

Anyway, my youngest son comes in and asks what I'm playing. I told him and he said, Oh I want to try that. I said check your games list; you probably have a key somewhere. He didn't have one.

I thought everyone had keys for this or that it was ftp?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

[Humble Bundle Weekly]
  • $1.00+
    • Puzzle Agent 1 & 2

Oh fuck!

Why didn't I think of this before? :(

wonder how much I could ask for my Dota 2 and Steam Beta access invites... $50 for 15 Dotas and 2 Betas is a good price, right guys?

I fired up Dota 2 last night for the first time to get a feel for it. I think I need to mess around with the settings a bit. I didn't like the screen scroll (having to use the middle mouse button and dragging). Hopefully that's something that can be changed. I also couldn't quite figure out when you have resources to call in and help vs. when you have to go it alone with your hero.

Anyway, my youngest son comes in and asks what I'm playing. I told him and he said, Oh I want to try that. I said check your games list; you probably have a key somewhere. He didn't have one.

No, it's still in beta and invite based.

Grief.exe

Was just brought to my attention that Call of Juarez is published by Ubisoft, yet has full Steamworks and doesn't require UPlay.

Any reason for this?

You can change that in settings.

I have spare invites if he needs them.

I would suggest sticking with Lich, Skeleton King, and Sniper are the easiest characters to learn.

Hinomura

I have still spare keys if you need one.

Wow at what Xelios posted o_O

Edit: I've got a 50% off for Duke Nukem 3D is anyone is interested (valid 'til 1st of July)

This bot will automatically provide you with a key if you want one:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

I would be scared if my kid ever wanted to start playing dota.

It's like smoking. Addictive, terrible for you, and who knows what kind of horrible people they will meet through it.

chixdiggit

[Humble Bundle Weekly]
  • $1.00+
    • Puzzle Agent 1 & 2

And somehow you will have GAF members arguing it's capitalism and they are providing a service and it's not their fault if people are stupid.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
IIRC it's not the first ubisoft title which does that. Hopefully they won't turn back.
I thought they did it for titles that they aren't really depending on. For example, Rayman Origins is Uplay-free, but Might and Magic X won't be.

...But what catabarez says sounds plausible too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

It's like smoking. Addictive, terrible for you, and who knows what kind of horrible people they will meet through it.
Yep, just like WoW.

Smoking is more healthy. It won't make you fail at school, nor stay up until 4:00 when you have classes at 7:20 the next day.

Grief.exe

IIRC it's not the first ubisoft title which does that. Hopefully they won't turn back.

Just going by their recently released games, if you see nothing then game requires full Uplay.

2012-2013

• Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
  • Trails Evolution
  • Shootmania Storm - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • TrackMania 2 - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Far Cry 3
  • Assassin's Creed III

Before October 2012

• Future Soldier - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Rocksmith - (Steamworks)
  • I Am Alive - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Mad Riders - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Rayman Origins - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Shoot Many Robots - (Steamworks)

• Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Assassin' Creed Revelations
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • Hereos VI - (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION)
  • Anno 2070
  • Driver San Fran - (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION)
  • Cartel - (Steamworks)
  • From Dust - (GFWL) (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION) Abandon Ship

• HAWX 2 - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • RUSE - (Steamworks)
  • Zeit 2 - (Steamworks)

Seems like an exception to the rule, especially once you get to late 2012 where Ubisoft released the most recent iteration of their Uplay policies and client.

Brazilians...

It sucks, but I'm not really sure what can be done about it.

Some people are just greedy opportunists.
I can't see the lil picture. What exactly is shameful here?

In a completly unrelated note, im desperate to play Lords of Shadow. What's taking them so long. Could they be doing a pre purchase incentive for part 2, by offering the first one?

[Humble Bundle Weekly]
  • $1.00+
    • Puzzle Agent 1 & 2

Damn them. IIRC it's forbidden, ebay doesn't authorize the selling of digital products.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't see the lil picture. What exactly is shameful here?

In a completly unrelated note, im desperate to play Lords of Shadow. What's taking them so long. Could they be doing a pre purchase incentive for part 2, by offering the first one?

They bought the charity bundle for 1$ and resell it for 7$ on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom