• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Yep, just like WoW.

Smoking is more healthy. It won't make you fail at school, nor stay up until 4:00 when you have classes at 7:20 the next day.

I was off it for 8 months and then I got the itch after just playing one game... 340 hours in, I wish I never played that first game

On a side note, excited for 6.78 and the international this fall

Is there a report or blacklist button? Because these kinds of people are scum.

Its one thing to buy all of a bundle and try to sell/gift some of the games you don't want/already have; its another to sell all of them for a profit at ridiculous prices while denying charity.

jediyoshi

Warms my heart to see prison architect and kerbal in the top 10 sellers. Figured >$20 indie games would start to be more of a thing eventually

Nabs

Man, this shit is shameful.

ixFzHDov6AEcI.gif

Caerith

I felt the same thing. Actually, I think the current Groupees Be Mine 8 Bundle has more value.
Same. The only other bundle I'm considering is the one with Blackwell, but I don't know how I feel about buying a bundle for just Deception and spending as much for it as said game will be in the summer sale.

Tangent: has anyone played Karateka from the BM8 bundle? How are you supposed to time your blocks in that game? Most of the enemies, you can hear musical cues to give you the timing, but then you get to the end and the guy with chains doesn't have a noticeable cue for when he's kicking your ass.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Same. The only other bundle I'm considering is the one with Blackwell, but I don't know how I feel about buying a bundle for just Deception and spending as much for it as said game will be in the summer sale.

Tangent: has anyone played Karateka from the BM8 bundle? How are you supposed to time your blocks in that game? Most of the enemies, you can hear musical cues to give you the timing, but then you get to the end and the guy with chains doesn't have a noticeable cue for when he's kicking your ass.

Are the blackwell games good? I bought that bundle and didnt have any of the games. Started up the first one, seemed different and interesting for a pixel art adventure. How long are the games?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just going by their recently released games, if you see nothing then game requires full Uplay.

2012-2013

• Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
  • Trails Evolution
  • Shootmania Storm - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • TrackMania 2 - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Far Cry 3
  • Assassin's Creed III

Before October 2012

• Future Soldier - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Rocksmith - (Steamworks)
  • I Am Alive - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Mad Riders - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Rayman Origins - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • Shoot Many Robots - (Steamworks)

• Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
  • Assassin' Creed Revelations
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • Hereos VI - (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION)
  • Anno 2070
  • Driver San Fran - (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION)
  • Cartel - (Steamworks)
  • From Dust - (GFWL) (A VALID UPLAY ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACTIVATE THE GAME DURING INITIAL INSTALLATION) Abandon Ship

• HAWX 2 - (Doesn't require UPlay, but not Steamworks)
  • RUSE - (Steamworks)
  • Zeit 2 - (Steamworks)

Seems like an exception to the rule, especially once you get to late 2012 where Ubisoft released the most recent iteration of their Uplay policies and client.

Much like EA Partners and Origin, Ubi doesn't encourage external development partners to use Uplay. You'll notice M&MH6 is the only externally-developed title that uses it at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I was off it for 8 months and then I got the itch after just playing one game... 340 hours in, I wish I never played that first game

On a side note, excited for 6.78 and the international this fall
Dota or WoW? I never played the former, except for 15 minutes when a friend came home one time.

WoW... yeah, school suffered because of it. Not my proudest period in life, that's for sure.

sibarraz

Banned
So that Groupees bundle means Steam keys for all applicable games right?

Nope

But IMO the best ones has keys, fairy bloom freesia for example

there

Slam Bolt Scrappers
Karateka
Patrician and DLC
Blades of time
Blood Bowl
Primordia

Rest ones are desura or drm free

Caerith

Are the blackwell games good? I bought that bundle and didnt have any of the games. Started up the first one, seemed different and interesting for a pixel art adventure. How long are the games?
Yeah, the Blackwell series is pretty good-- they're indie from before "indie" was the cool thing to be, but they're pretty good. Telltale-length, so about 2-3 hours each.

HoosTrax

Are they serious with these TWD achievements? What's the point? To tell the developers how many people actually played each episode?

Are they serious with these TWD achievements? What's the point? To tell the developers how many people actually played each episode?
It's just a carry over from the consoles I suppose, where they're mandatory, but they were implemented like that to not influence any player decisions. It is supposed to be your own story, and that's how they wanted you to play it.

Haunted

Ok, here's a question for you Steam pros.

When you add a non-Steam game to the library, up comes the window with all the software installed on your machine, right? "Add a Game".

Where does Steam take that info from? Because it really doesn't match with what I have actually installed on my machine (or what's shown when I go to uninstall programs via the control panel) - there's lots of outdated info and software in there, things long since uninstalled, yet they still pop up every time.

Any ideas?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. They already have a stats system in place, which shows the amount of people who picked certain choices in the games. Using the achievements too would be redundant.

Just went from playing Hotline Maimi to Thomas was Alone.

whoa.

Like a complete 180 in terms of, well, everything.
And it's like a 360° in terms of quality!

zkylon

zkylewd
I really liked the first one, but the other two went into pretty boring and overdone territories (and even the pixelart style becomes imo much less enjoyable), specially three. also it's like every game has less and less mechanics for some reason.

I heard the fourth one is actually back to form, so maybe they manage to make it cool again. still gotta try it out, just gotta beat dust first

they're pretty short, you can probably beat all four in a week if you put your heart to it

DTKT

Ok, here's a question for you Steam pros.

When you add a non-Steam game to the library, up comes the window with all the software installed on your machine, right? "Add a Game".

Where does Steam take that info from? Because it really doesn't match with what I have actually installed on my machine (or what's shown when I go to uninstall programs via the control panel) - there's lots of outdated info and software in there, things long since uninstalled, yet they still pop up every time.

Any ideas?

From my quick search using Process Monitor, it seems to check the Roaming folder in AppData.

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games

Grief.exe

I don't think the old Call of Juarez games did either. I'm really glad there wasn't some sort of weird Ubisoft DRM with Gunslinger, let alone the always online stuff I think Ubisoft experimented with.

Did Blood Dragon have any special UPlay or DRM stuff attached?

Blood Dragon had UPlay

Vecks

I've gone through the first two and I think they're pretty solid adventure games. Took me about 2 hours to beat each game.

Guys, I need to take my mind off work. In the recent bundles, can I find games that can be played (in their entirety) in like 30 minutes? I thought someone talk about Dear Esther that way but I'm not sure.

Noogy

Guys, I need to take my mind off work. In the recent bundles, can I find games that can be played (in their entirety) in like 30 minutes? I thought someone talk about Dear Esther that way but I'm not sure.

I found Proteus to be quite soothing, just know that's it's more of an interactive experience. It does have a finale though.

spectros4

Neo Member

I recently played Dear Esther, and I'll explain it like this:
It was relaxing game, and an experience in which you don't need to think much. It was nice putting together the story told throughout it as well. All together, I put about an hour and a half into it.

I've gone through the first two and I think they're pretty solid adventure games. Took me about 2 hours to beat each game.

The first three games in the saga are around 2-3h hours long, but Blackwell Deception should be longer than the others (it took me almost 5h to finish).

It's a really good series, well written and funny. The meta-story also become really interesting with the third and fourth games (if I remember correctly). I cannot wait for Blackwell Epiphany.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat Hexagonest (the 3rd level in Super Hexagon), and it was hard as balls. And now I tried Hyper Hexagonest...

It's a joke, right? Do they really expect me to beat that? Really?

Haunted

From my quick search using Process Monitor, it seems to check the Roaming folder in AppData.

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games
Oh my goodness, what a simple explanation. That got me on the right track (there are two folders feeding into the start menu, and I was only updating one - the other was the culprit, containing plenty of outdated software).

And here I was checking the registry and other deep files - never would've thought Steam was taking its info from a simple folder responsible for the start menu. :lol Thanks!

I just beat Hexagonest (the 3rd level in Super Hexagon), and it was hard as balls. And now I tried Hyper Hexagonest...

It's a joke, right? Do they really expect me to beat that? Really?

Yep, I know. Can't do more than 25 seconds on Hyper Hexagonest, it's crazy.

Blizzard

Banned
Ya, its 'called closing your eyes.'

What a good game, 10/10 will play again.
He's ignoring the chat too so he doesn't know we can't see!

So far from the audio I can tell that the game has to do with memory (so the name "Remember Me" makes sense), and there are lots of fight sounds so it's probably a beat 'em up game. I think there's some energetic music durings fights which is pretty cool, actually.

It's a decent simulation of what it would be like to be blind in a cyberpunk world in which you're fighting thugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom