• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Valve would get 2x richer if they just sold empty space holders for a buck to make the number grow

couple people here would lose their house

kinda hilarious that we need a card collecting game to make us play games we already own

and that in the end we don't even play them, we just idle and sell the cards

When you have way too many games to ever play every little helps!

I mean isn't Steam all about collecting games and obsessing over Valve's latest meta game, and then spending any actual game time in Dota2

cicero

Note: We will need a new thread in about 10 days if we continue to post like this.

I would prefer if someone else take the role of creating the Steam Thread, I've run this joint for years and it's time to move on.

It's been fun browsing this staple thread.

Bye for now.

UP FOR GRABS, PLEASE TAKE THEM:

I will not be able to do them.

If this is your farewell, thank you for the quality effort and time you have put into your threads, and I hope everything works out for you with exams, graduation, and finding a good job.

27th of August and no price announcement?

Every damn time i tell you... opting to release a game that i anticipate at the months end, might as well release it the 2 of september and i would feel more at ease.

The last nail in the cofin would be an over 40 price tag, just watch then go at it.

Grief.exe

I'll make the new thread, unless someone objects.

Scrolls from Mojang looks awesome by the way, too bad it will probably never come to Steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOXyzLBvdU

I understand how they want to make 100% of the revenue, but after a time it would probably generate more money if it was released on Steam.

Minecraft would be a perfect example. Game has been released for a long time, updates aren't flowing as quickly as they once were, release the game on Steam. Make money from the increased visibility, sales, and repeat customers who want the game on the Steam platform.

Take the same strategy with Scrolls, have it only available from the Mojang store until it is significantly far along in development. Then, when sales taper off, release the game on Steam.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Valve would get 2x richer if they just sold empty space holders for a buck to make the number grow

couple people here would lose their house

It's all relative; even if they remove DLC everyone's counts will drop and Jase and I will still be among the highest game counts (1500/1800 respectively), it just won't be as inflated.

I was actually being serious about liking the changes, because I'd no longer have a reason to support all the shitty DLC games like Tomb Raider churn out.

jediyoshi

Someone check on JaseC

changescfqjf.png

Thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamescollectors/discussions/0/846954921974417984/

Goody. The free to play inclusion is a real toss up, especially them being in your library. On one hand sometimes you just want to check it out and be done with them. On the other, if I've done something like spent money towards it that's gone through steam, it'd make sense for them to stay on regardless of if they're installed.

Caerith

I think counts are a mess either way. If you count DLC as games, you count cosmetic crap like horse armor for Tomb Raider. If you don't count DLC as games, you don't count content stuff like The Missing Link or Magicka: Vietnam.

And what about all the Telltale stuff? TWD is one game, one entry. All the others are one store entry, multiple library entries. Is Back to the Future one game or five games? If it's five games, what about Gods & Kings for Civ V, which surely has more content than any given Telltale episode?

Cats, bags.

cicero

It's all relative; even if they remove DLC everyone's counts will drop and Jase and I will still be among the highest game counts (1500/1800 respectively), it just won't be as inflated.

I was actually being serious about liking the changes, because I'd no longer have a reason to support all the shitty DLC games like Tomb Raider churn out.

I think it is cute that you think you believe that.

FloatOn

So letting games idle for digital items is a thing now?

So glad I don't whore my legit play time list to making a buck.

Stay true kids. Or not.

xelios

Stay true kids. Or not.

You can actually play the game too, you know. You'd still get the cards while maintaining your superiority.

Wok

I'll make the new thread, unless someone objects.

Scrolls from Mojang looks awesome by the way, too bad it will probably never come to Steam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDOXyzLBvdU

I understand how they want to make 100% of the revenue, but after a time it would probably generate more money if it was released on Steam.

Minecraft would be a perfect example. Game has been released for a long time, updates aren't flowing as quickly as they once were, release the game on Steam. Make money from the increased visibility, sales, and repeat customers who want the game on the Steam platform.

Take the same strategy with Scrolls, have it only available from the Mojang store until it is significantly far along in development. Then, when sales taper off, release the game on Steam.

The game is a mix of Magic The Gathering and Heroes III. I like it, although I find it very buggy at the moment. There is an OT, which is really quiet.

By the way, SpyParty is another indie game which is handled without Steam and the Humble Store.

jediyoshi

I think counts are a mess either way. If you count DLC as games, you count cosmetic crap like horse armor for Tomb Raider. If you don't count DLC as games, you don't count content stuff like The Missing Link or Magicka: Vietnam.

Is there a lot of purely cosmetic DLC that have their own game entries? My count is 700ish, but the DLC that adds to it are pretty much just the expansion type stuff that inexplicably get their own entries.

HoosTrax

A friend wanted me to check out his video card because he suspects it might be dodgy - do you guys know off the top of your heads games on Steam that have benchmarks? (doesn't have to be super intensive -- the card is a GTX550 Ti)

Salsa

A friend wanted me to check out his video card because he suspects it might be dodgy - do you guys know off the top of your heads games on Steam that have benchmarks? (doesn't have to be super intensive -- the card is a GTX550 Ti)

Devil May Cry 4
Grand Theft Auto 4
Just Cause 2
Resident Evil 5
Street Fighter 4
Lost Planet 1 & 2
Crysis
Metro 2033
Mafia 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Far Cry 2

I know Arkham City has one if he has that.
Damnit Salsa

xelios

TF2 has idle servers too - depressing stuff.

It's funny he says idling for digital items is a thing *now* when it's been a thing in TF2 for how long? And for hundreds/thousands of hours, not just one or two. =p

Nabs

Street Fighter and Dirt 2 come to mind.

Miker

You can benchmark any game with Fraps or something, but if you want actual benchmarks, then try Capcom's newer games - I think they also released them as separate downloads. I'm thinking of Street Fighter IV, Lost Planet 2, and RE6.

1-D_FTW

kinda hilarious that we need a card collecting game to make us play games we already own

and that in the end we don't even play them, we just idle and sell the cards

I went from .2 hours to 1.4 or so. And of course I just idled. I really don't understand that game at all.

Stay true kids. Or not.

I wasn't a buck, wise guy. It was three bucks;) And we're going for foils.

Besides, who cares if it's running in the backround and not visible. I value my playtime as much as my achievements and Badges. I'd whore those babies out too if I could.

oipic

Tomb Raider as well, Hoos (if someone else hasn't mentioned that by now).

Caerith

Is there a lot of purely cosmetic DLC that have their own game entries? My count is 700ish, but the DLC that adds to it are pretty much just the expansion type stuff that inexplicably get their own entries.
I don't think any purely cosmetic DLC has separate entries, although I'm pretty sure they're counted separately. The question really is should expansion-type DLCs be counted, regardless of whether they get their own entries?

jediyoshi

I don't think any purely cosmetic DLC has separate entries, although I'm pretty sure they're counted separately. The question really is should expansion-type DLCs be counted, regardless of whether they get their own entries?

Ah I wasn't paying attention. I didn't realize by this point Steam reports 3 different Games 'counts' and the one on your profile page includes all dlc. Interestingly, viewing the All games section on the profile does dlc that's just expansions and any f2p. Whereas the Library client count does just f2p games that have paid dlc attached and no dlc expansions. Pretty messy seeing as mine ranges from 720 to 435 to 391.

Grief.exe

You would be better off running MSI Kombustor, 3D Mark, or Furmark.

Caerith

Ah I wasn't paying attention. I didn't realize by this point Steam reports 3 different Games 'counts' and the one on your profile page includes all dlc. Interestingly, viewing the All games section on the profile does dlc that's just expansions and any f2p. Whereas the Library client count just does just f2p games that have paid dlc attached and no dlc expansions. Pretty messy seeing as mine ranges from 720 to 435 to 391.
383, 256, 243. I imagine the discrepancy from 383 (Profile) to 256 (All Games) is largely due to folded-in DLC (like Civ V stuff that doesn't make a separate entry), but it gets really inconsistent where it drops from 256 (All Games) down to 243 (Library). I mean, yeah, that list includes f2p stuff I don't have installed (Spiral Knights), and DLC stuff like Defense Grid Resurgence Map Pack 1-4 (4 separate entries), some other one-off DLCs, and New Vegas: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Courier's Stash. But where is my listing for Defense Grid - You Monster, or New Vegas: Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Gun Runners Arsenal? Why are only some DLC counted, even from the same game, even from the same package? For instance, I got New Vegas: Ultimate Edition-- all the DLC in one go, so what excuse is there for only half of it being counted?

And then there's the wall of Telltale. 16 Sam & Max, 5 BttF, 4 Wallace & Gromit, 3 Hector = 28 "games" for the price of 6. Why do I get 22 extra "games" when, say, TWD only counts as 1 game but it has 5 "games" in it?

Instead of Steam just making a blanket "all DLC is counted" or "no DLC is counted," I'd rather they clean up the library first, maybe start using tags. "DLC - Cosmetic Crap," "DLC - Pay to Win," "DLC - Gameplay: Characters/Races," "DLC - Content: Missions," "DLC - Content: Expansion," "Episodic Content." Make the Games tab show a pie chart showing how many of your 700 "games" are horse armor.

At least if they scrap DLC I will have no reason to buy it anymore, saving me money. Thanks Valve 8)

We all knew it was inevitable for them to take the dlc out of the count, positive outlook right there for sure though :).

This is actually good for me because hardly any of my sub-500 game count are actually dlc!

cicero

How do the collectors feel about it? I mean, you guys can still have the DLC "count" if you use the Game Collector Showcase.

I think my real life friends think I'm crazy, even though I only have 400 "real" games and it gets inflated to 800 games somehow with the way it's counted right now.

The only reason I even use the Game Collector Showcase is because I wanted to show off games that I liked. I went with both Thief games, Weird Worlds (inspiration for FTL), and Arx Fatalis. I would love if they just had a better "Favorite Games" Showcase instead. As of now you can only pick one single game as your favorite. It would be great if I had the option to pick multiple titles. Maybe even tie it in with your game recommendations.

FloatOn

You can actually play the game too, you know. You'd still get the cards while maintaining your superiority.

oh come on. I was just joking. Kind of.

I'm just amused in general at what lengths people will go to for a few bucks. I had some friends that tried at great lengths for some diablo 3 RMAH money. I knew that they wanted to play other games but the prospect of free money is just too alluring I suppose.

jediyoshi

oh come on. I was just joking. Kind of.

I'm just amused in general at what lengths people will go to for a few bucks. I had some friends that tried at great lengths for some diablo 3 RMAH money. I knew that they wanted to play other games but the prospect of free money is just too alluring I suppose.

I wouldn't consider idling anything notable in terms of lengths. Takes more effort discussing it than just having a game running in the background, going about your business, and waiting for the notifications to pop up.

the fact that it ever included DLC is quite silly tbh. I'm for this.

Pretty much. How to handle f2p is a bit more nebulous, but dlc in any of the counts is just funky. The only weird one off instance I can think of is DEHR: The Missing Link which is listed as dlc but is technically standalone.

While they're at it, would be nice if I could remove games that have separate entries for betas and demos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom