• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repeating:
By the way I have:
Code:
50% OFF Dawn of Fantasy: Kingdom Wars
Code:
50% OFF Guns of Icarus Online
Code:
75% OFF Nexuiz 4-Pack
coupons.

I just want Skyrim Deluxe Edition in return of them. I can add a Dota 2 to the deal if needed.
Just kidding, find me on steam to get one of them.

tumblr_inline_mkwq8toccudy.gif

Tonight in TF2, ClassyPenguin had this as a spray.

It is how you know that it is a GAF server.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know that name. I approve of his taste in female Irish celebrities whose first name means "freedom".

Dr Dogg

The neat thing about the cards is that since Steam flags the games as played I'll feel more compelled to actually play them one day. Well, some of the games, at least.

Hahaha. Yeah ok. I worked it out that even if I could finish one game a day off my Steam backlog it would take me 3 years. What would you be up to? 10?

ngt

Hahaha. Yeah ok. I worked it out that even if I could finish one game a day off my Steam backlog it would take me 3 years. What would you be up to? 10?

Come on, having a full Steam catalog on your account is a big responsibility. Besides, JaseC is the best way to find out about promos on Steam. Why would I check some other websites when all I have to do is to look at the "your friends bought" section?

JaseC

I didn't say I would play them, just that I'd feel more inclined to. ;) There are plenty of games I'm not interested in whatsoever and would only actually play if they were part of another achievement hunt.

I think it was CrimeCraft that had the Winter Sale 2011 achievement requiring you to kill a bunch of people with a snowball or some such. I'd label that as the worst of the bunch.

benjipwns

Banned
If one were to spend the day watching this gif over and over where does that place them between washing machine and "friends bought" section?

DirtRiver

Has there been any indication by Valve that one of these days the Steam client will get a overhaul? It is painfully slow and crashes so often that you would think one of these days they will do something about it.

JaseC

Come on, having a full Steam catalog on your account is a big responsibility. Besides, JaseC is the best way to find out about promos on Steam. Why would I check some other websites when all I have to do is to look at the "your friends bought" section?

I'm taking it (relatively) easy until the Summer Sale; no purchasing something that's less than 70-75% off unless the reduced price is around the $5 mark (or the game is liable to be pulled in the near future). The less I buy now the more I can buy a little later. ;)

Just in time for the Summer Sale! I'm still waiting for Ski Region Simulator to be greenlit. :(

Has there been any indication by Valve that one of these days the Steam client will get a overhaul? It is painfully slow and crashes so often that you would think one of these days they will do something about it.

Nope, though I'd like think there'll be an overhaul to coincide with the launch of the Steambox, if not earlier.

Dr Dogg

I didn't say I would play them, just that I'd feel more inclined to. ;) There are plenty of games I'm not interested in whatsoever and would only actually play if they were part of another achievement hunt.

I think it was CrimeCraft that had the Winter Sale 2011 achievement requiring you to kill a bunch of people with a snowball or some such. I'd label that as the worst of the bunch.

Hahaha does anybody? Christ some of the stuff I have that came with bundles I doubt I'll ever download let alone play. Pads out the numbers nicely though.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm taking it (relatively) easy until the Summer Sale; no purchasing something that's less than 70-75% off unless the reduced price is around the $5 mark (or the game is liable to be pulled in the near future). The less I buy now the more I can buy a little later. ;)
I adopted this rule a year or so back and it really cut down on what I was buying.

Stuff I'd get at $7.50 or whatever before I was like "naw, I can wait for $5."

JaseC

Hahaha does anybody? Christ some of the stuff I have that came with bundles I doubt I'll ever download let alone play. Pads out the numbers nicely though.

Some stuff, although it doesn't particularly grab me, I am curious about, though. Like Cabela's hunting games, for instance.

I adopted this rule a year or so back and it really cut down on what I was buying.

Stuff I'd get at $7.50 or whatever before I was like "naw, I can wait for $5."

If it weren't for DLC in one's game count going the way of the dodo I wouldn't be able to control myself. :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I haven't had the Steam client crash in a long ass time. You might want to look into your PC.

Colin.

Does it charge you in $ though causing credit card exchange fees?

Yes it does. Any money spent in foreign currency costs me £1.25 as well as a small percentage. In the case of Amazon, best way to do it is by giving a US gaffer $ through Paypal to make the purchase for me. Paypal also charge a percentage, but it can work out better on smaller purchases depending on your bank.

Caerith

Some subs are bugged in that the store says you don't own them even if you actually do, but prior to confirming a purchase a cross-check is performed that prevents duplicate purchases (you can test this yourself with Ancient Wonders). Don't worry about it.
It's weird that you can still click "Purchase For Myself" for the Wonders DLC. Most of the time, the check is done before then and you're only give the gift option in the cart. Oh well, glad they have a second check for stuff like this.

1-D_FTW

For those who bought it for the Caverns DLC, how long was it? My love of Trine tempts me, but if it's not substantial, I feel I'd be better off waiting till the summer sale and paying less. 5 dollars for 20 minutes isn't a very good deal.

JaseC

It's weird that you can still click "Purchase For Myself" for the Wonders DLC. Most of the time, the check is done before then and you're only give the gift option in the cart. Oh well, glad they have a second check for stuff like this.

The first check is just the same as the store check, AFAIK. There are times where if Steam is having server issues or they're under heavy load you need to refresh the page for the "You already own..." banner to appear.

1-D_FTW

I've played about an hour of The Walking Dead and they are really running this 'daddy-daughter' thing into the ground.

Yeah. This game isn't for me. I think I got towards the end of Episode one before I quit for good.

I should have known since I think point and click adventure games are super boring, but I thought the story was supposed to be mind-blowing. It's only good if we're grading on the video-game curve.

Caerith

The first check is just the same as the store check, AFAIK. There are times where if Steam is having server issues or they're under heavy load you need to refresh the page for the "You already own..." banner to appear.
I think it's different. I check Korea/Wonders in-between watching the washing machine and it's always the same.

Yeah. This game isn't for me. I think I got towards the end of Episode one before I quit for good.

I should have known since I think point and click adventure games are super boring, but I thought the story was supposed to be mind-blowing. It's only good if we're grading on the video-game curve.

Such a shame, I realize it has a slow start but throughout the story I got more attached and distant to certain characters that really left an emotional impact on me. Loved that game- so much in fact here is a code for the whole game-in its entirety

Q30RT-89HKT-BPIJH

idle threat:whoever takes it better play through to completion though

JaseC

I think it's different. I check Korea/Wonders in-between watching the washing machine and it's always the same.

Korea comes up as already owned for me (on the store page, that is). Of all the Civ V content it's just Ancient Wonders that's buggered, which Steam doesn't pick up on until checkout.

I'm digging the story (though I feel the same about P&C games like you). I'm a sucker for zombie shit. I love the limited time you get to make choices and the game gives 0 fucks if you don't make a choice. First time I had to choose between two people, I ran out of time and stood there while it all went to hell.

It's just annoying that every new character you meet assuming daddy-daughter...leaving Lee to explain everything over and over.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Must...resist...taking...key...

Anyhow, just finished Thomas Was Alone. Brilliant little indie platformer. Didn't find it anything special untill somewhere around chapter four, when it really starts to grow on you. Very simple, but very fun. Story's a bit more then expected aswell.

Short though, around four hours.

Caerith

If adventure games aren't your thing and what you played of it didn't grab you, that's fine, it's your time and you know best how to spend it. But you really can't judge The Walking Dead's story as a whole just from a little bit of Episode 1. Everything leading up to the last five minutes of Ep 1 is just prologue.

PriitV

I've done 2 episodes of TWD so far, and from my first look it felt to me as if Episode 1 was a bit stronger than the second one. We'll see how this turns out.

Caerith

Korea comes up as already owned for me (on the store page, that is). Of all the Civ V content it's just Ancient Wonders that's buggered, which Steam doesn't pick up on until checkout.
Yep. I've never seen Ancient Wonders not buggered, and I check the store pretty much every time someone asks, "Does GOTY include all the DLC?" Which they don't ask much anymore, but it wouldn't have been a bad idea to add a Civ V DLC Guide to the OP.

How did we live before Enhanced Steam, anyway?

Caerith

I've done 2 episodes of TWD so far, and from my first look it felt to me as if Episode 1 was a bit stronger than the second one. We'll see how this turns out.
I thought Episode 2 was incredibly strong, especially that ending, but matters of taste.

Let us know your reaction to Episode 3?

JaseC

How did we live before Enhanced Steam, anyway?

Opening several tabs only to discover that most of them contain a game you already have. :( Enhanced Steam isn't exactly perfect but it's a neat little time saver.

I thought Episode 2 was incredibly strong, especially that ending, but matters of taste.

I read this out of context and thought you were talking about that other Episode 2.

Dingotech

Random Hotline Miami question.

I've opted into the beta and updated the game on the hope it would let me get the final achievement.

When I loaded and exited the game my Steam game listing shows the game as having 35/35 achievements, however when I click on the detail for the achievements it still shows 34?? This has been like this through steam resets and multiple loadings of the game itself.

Anybody else have this issue?

maty

Random Hotline Miami question.

I've opted into the beta and updated the game on the hope it would let me get the final achievement.

When I loaded and exited the game my Steam game listing shows the game as having 35/35 achievements, however when I click on the detail for the achievements it still shows 34?? This has been like this through steam resets and multiple loadings of the game itself.

Anybody else have this issue?

Dingotech, I did the same you did, started the game and quit. Then, under the game details it would showed 35/35 but on my profile, under achievement progress, it appeared as 34/35.

So I started the game again and played the first mission Prelude and the achievement popped up just a few seconds later like any other using the steam overlay. After that, the issue was resolved.

Hope that helps :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
E1 was excellent, yes. I don't remember much of what happened in which episode, but it was one of my favorites.

Without spoiling anything, E2 had a part near the end that I found incredibly frustrating, and had to replay no less than 10 times.

1-D_FTW

I'm digging the story (though I feel the same about P&C games like you). I'm a sucker for zombie shit. I love the limited time you get to make choices and the game gives 0 fucks if you don't make a choice. First time I had to choose between two people, I ran out of time and stood there while it all went to hell.

It's just annoying that every new character you meet assuming daddy-daughter...leaving Lee to explain everything over and over.

What gets me is when the dialogue seems to be making no sense regarding my choices. That's what's tearing me out of it. I feel like I mine as well just randomly choose, if some dude's gonna lecture me for a dialogue tree I didn't choose anyways.

Dingotech

Dingotech, I did the same you did, started the game and quit. Then, under the game details it would showed 35/35 but on my profile, under achievement progress, it appeared as 34/35.

So I started the game again and played the first mission Prelude and the achievement popped up just a few seconds later like any other using the steam overlay. After that, the issue was resolved.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks! I will have to give that a try and see if it helps. I definitely didn't see the achievement notice pop previously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom