• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already got a code for PAOTRSPOD4 (how the hell do you abbreviate that) off twitter (thanks!) and it's great so far. I'm in LOVE with the music and didn't know the battles are fought with pets/monsters! It's great. I'll be playing this most of the day I think.

So, never :p

What? You mean nobody will bring civilization to the Xbone masses? Too bad for them.
I think Valve will release something to a console this gen. Unless they gave up their console dreams. They can port Dota 2 to a console but I'm not sure how that will work with a gamepad, so my guess is Portal 3.

tjohn86

What? You mean nobody will bring civilization to the Xbone masses? Too bad for them.
I think Valve will release something to a console this gen. Unless they gave up their console dreams. They can port Dota 2 to a console but I'm not sure how that will work with a gamepad, so my guess is Portal 3.

I bet L4D3 hits consoles.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah, that's sort of what I meant earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if they determine a family member with an account associated with a specific piece of hardware.

What prevents me from going to a friend of mine, giving him my gamertag details, telling him to associate my gamertag to his console, that way we can both play games that we both buy separately?

Sure, we can't both play the same game together, but everything else can be done.

I'm sure they'll allow you to "merge" gamertags, because people have families with separated gamertags today.

If I had a brother it would be a problem, as I'd have to ask my friend to add my brother's gamertag on his "main" gamertag, but it can be done.

Unless there's some secret bullshit DRM we don't know about yet (most likely). However, you all must remember that this was exactly how the PS3 DRM worked at first, with one gamertag being associated to 5 consoles (people sold gamertags that had games available on them to 5 different people, for instance).

Dario ff

Banned
There's also the matter of community features to consider, because having multiple instances of the same account engaging with the same friends list would be messy. One approach would be to have the account holder nominate their system/s as the primary one/s (requiring confirmation via Steam Guard), with other approved PCs being secondary systems that have community features disabled. Oh, and to completely avoid the possibility of one of your friends going nuts on the store with your credit card, enabling account sharing should also automatically remove any saved billing information; alternatively, purchasing on secondary systems should be disallowed completely.

Good point, although disabling community features in a secondary device would prevent that device from playing some of the online steamworks games. (If I understand it correctly, I don't recall being able to play some games online when going offline in my friends list)

Declaring secondary devices with Steam Guard sounds like a good approach tho, and it would void the need of IP verification. You're not gonna give away your account details that easily, and any new devices would have to verify with the account owner's email.

The way I see it working:
1) When logging into Steam on a new device, Steam asks you whether you want to make this the new primary PC, or a secondary device. Secondary device feature is only available when using Steam Guard. Primary device mode will log out that Steam account from any other device using it in primary mode, pretty much the same way Steam already does.
2) Steam Guard code is sent to the e-mail, along with details in what option was selected (Primary PC? Secondary Device?)
3) Use Steam Guard code and get either full access to the account, or the limited secondary device restrictions. (No community features, no purchases, no inventory). It wouldn't be a good idea to limit this type of device a lot tho, otherwise there's no risk to giving your details to someone. That's the side-effect to this.

This could work pretty well for Cyber Cafes as well (they're still a big thing here), but as far as I know Steam already provides some plans for these kind of places I think...

EDIT: Either that or just make a secondary account strictly "secondary", and log out any "secondary" devices the same way the primary one does. I'd just be more happy with this if there was a way to share my single player games across my family without having to buy multiple copies. On consoles I'd just give them the disc, here I have to prevent myself from having access to my account until they're done playing. There's the workaround with offline mode, but it's not as intuitive as it should be yet.

What prevents me from going to a friend of mine, giving him my gamertag details, telling him to associate my gamertag to his console, that way we can both play games that we both buy separately?

Sure, we can't both play the same game together, but everything else can be done.

I'm sure they'll allow you to "merge" gamertags, because people have families with separated gamertags today.

If I had a brother it would be a problem, as I'd have to ask my friend to add my brother's gamertag on his "main" gamertag, but it can be done.

Unless there's some secret bullshit DRM we don't know about yet (most likely). However, you all must remember that this was exactly how the PS3 DRM worked at first, with one gamertag being associated to 5 consoles (people sold gamertags that had games available on them to 5 different people, for instance).

Since MS has been flawless in taking care of the details so far, I imagine they'll have this all figured out.

There are a ton of 'if's though...I imagine they won't cover everything and will probably limit features, etc.

Still the matter of determining 'family member'. Which, thanks to PRISM...they probably already know :D

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
New(ish):

[Indie Royale]
  • Arclight Bundle - $4.47
    • AI War: Ancient Shadows
    • AI War: Fleet Command
    • AI War: Children of Neinzul
    • AI War: Light of the Spire
    • AI War: The Zenith Remnant
    • AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
    • A Valley Without Wind
    • A Valley Without Wind 2
    • Shattered Haven
    • Tidalis
[GetGames]

[GMG] - use code GMG20-JLKSA-7A8HA for an additional 20% off

Existing deals recap:

[Amazon]

• FTL - $4.99 - make sure to select Steam DRM
  • Cavern of Fire Zero Pack - $9.99
    • Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    • Little Inferno
    • Sol Survivor
    • Strike Suit Zero
    • The Cave
  • Digital Tribe Indie Grab Bag - $9.99
    • Cargo Commander
    • Kung Fu Strike
    • Section 8
    • Stronghold 3 Gold
  • Indie Action Pack - $9.99
    • Air Buccaneers
    • Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
    • Foreign Legion: Multi Massacre
    • Primal Fear
    • Spacechem
  • Gaijin Tripped Out Pack - $9.99
    • Bit Trip Beat
    • Bit Trip Core
    • Bit Trip Runner
    • Bit Trip Void
  • Indie Quintet - $9.99
    • Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
    • Little Inferno
    • Stealth Bastard Deluxe
    • Strike Suit Zero
    • The Cave
  • Oh So Fine and Dandy Bundle - $9.99
    • Brutal Legend
    • Costume Quest
    • Iron Brigade
    • Psychonauts
    • Stacking
    • The Cave
[Amazon - Deals of the Week]
[Bundle In A Box]
  • $1.99+
    • Blackwell Convergence
    • Blackwell Deception
    • Blackwell Legacy
    • Blackwell Unbound
    • Hacker Evolution Untold
  • $4.07+
    • Hacker Evolution
    • Hacker Evolution Duality
    • Hamlet
    • Secret of the Magic Crystals
[Bundle Stars]

• Lucius - $2.98
  • Bundle Stars #8: Atomic Indie - $5.00
    • Dino D-Day
    • Disciples III: Resurrection
    • Dream Pinball 3D
    • Imperium Romanum: Gold Edition
    • Insecticide
    • Legendary
    • Section 8
    • Spacechem
    • The First Templar Steam Special Edition
    • Tropico Trilogy
      • Tropico
      • Tropico 2: Pirate Cove
      • Tropico 3: Steam Special Edition
      • Tropico 3: Absolute Power
[Humble Indie Bundle 8]

• $1.00+
    • Awesomenauts
    • Awesomenauts: Cluck DLC
    • Capsized
    • Dear Esther
    • Little Inferno
    • Thomas Was Alone
  • $5.80+
    • English Country Tune
    • Hotline Miami
    • Intrusion 2
    • Oil Rush
    • Proteus
    • Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers
[Indie Gala Store] - price in parentheses is the lowest price possible, obtainable by using Gala points
[Gamefly]
[Gamersgate] - use code elder-geek.com for an additional 5% off

1-D_FTW

That's fucking stupid. So I have to spend money to get the other cards?

Thanks a lot Valve.

No, it's genius. It creates demand for an otherwise worthless product. You wouldn't get a single penny if you could just farm them all.

If you really want a badge, sell/trade cards from games you don't want. Then it won't cost you any money.

Burekma

Why does Steam only give me a limited amound of cards I can get?

How do I get the rest of my cards then?

You're supposed to focus on couple games only, and sell/trade the cards from games you don't care about. IF you don't want to spend money, that is.

But yeah, if you only got 1 game with cards, or if you want to get at least lvl1 badge for every game you have, than you will pay big time.

How do the Free Weekend games work?

I installed Saints Row the Third and played some of it. After the weekend when I lose access to the game, will I still have my saves or will Steam swoop in and delete it out of my hard drive forever?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, I was in the shower thinking about ways of monetizing Steam even more with my alt accounts (because that's how sad I am) and I wondered: Why would anybody buy Keys on the User Market when every purchase made inside the Valve Store for TF2 or Dota counts towards the 9 dollar card drop?

The only way that a key purchase from the User Store would be justified if that the price of a key is smaller than the amount of money I would get from the card drop, which means that whoever is selling the key has to put the price of said key way down, and receive even less money for it.

Did Valve secretly kill the "trade items for keys which in turn can be traded for real money" aspect of it's entire economy?

How do the Free Weekend games work?

I installed Saints Row the Third and played some of it. After the weekend when I lose access to the game, will I still have my saves or will Steam swoop in and delete it out of my hard drive forever?

I'll still stay in your profile but when you try to play it, it will show purchase instead of play.

Unless there's some secret bullshit DRM we don't know about yet (most likely).
It's not secret, if you're the "family" the console does hourly account checks instead of daily.
dario ff said:
Declaring secondary devices with Steam Guard sounds like a good approach tho, and it would void the need of IP verification. You're not gonna give away your account details that easily, and any new devices would have to verify with the account owner's email.
Eh, this method you seem to be describing still gets messy if the goal is to share with family, and locks the second primary account out of community features. If I want to borrow from my brother's Steam account I still want to be logged in as myself. Assuming the main DRM goal is to prevent multiple people from playing one game at the same time and they aren't going to go the "two licenses active at once" route that the MS PR implied I would:

-Primary account designates "family/friend/library" accounts. Maybe limit the number.
-Primary account flags games in their library as "library games". Non-library games work like now.
-Library games can only be played in online mode and Steam verifies usage at some interval.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
[Indie Royale]
  • Arclight Bundle - $4.51
    • AI War: Ancient Shadows
    • AI War: Fleet Command
    • AI War: Children of Neinzul
    • AI War: Light of the Spire
    • AI War: The Zenith Remnant
    • AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
    • A Valley Without Wind
    • A Valley Without Wind 2
    • Shattered Haven
    • Tidalis

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To get to the key, you needed to find batteries for a universal remote to use on a TV store across the street then find a brick and break the window so the walkers roaming around in the street could hear it and be distracted, all so you could walk ten feet away. Felt very contrived, why couldn't you just very sneakily walk ten feet away and grab the key?
Haha, I remember now. I didn't find it too difficult, to be honest.

I'll still stay in your profile but when you try to play it, it will show purchase instead of play.

Does SR3 free version have any sort of additional name indicator? A couple weeks ago I bought Chivalry during the free weekend and when I went to install it there were two versions in my game list, one of which said Beta (I didn't see the normal one so I installed the Beta). The Beta version didn't share servers with Regular and didn't save my settings when I figured out my mistake and installed the correct version.

Does SR3 free version have any sort of additional name indicator? A couple weeks ago I bought Chivalry during the free weekend and when I went to install it there were two versions in my game list, one of which said Beta (I didn't see the normal one so I installed the Beta). The Beta version didn't share servers with Regular and didn't save my settings when I figured out my mistake and installed the correct version.

I think there's only one version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom