• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

shit gets so real in the walking dead later though.

you really shouldn't judge it until at least halfway through chapter 2.

theytookourjobz

I just got two coupons that don't have any games attached to them. When I click view applicable games it just brings up a list of games for sale on Steam. Unfortunately it doesn't add a discount when I add anything to cart.

Knurek

To me TWD is not about choice, it's about illusion of choice
and the fact that sometimes life will screw you over, no matter what you choose

Caerith

Opening several tabs only to discover that most of them contain a game you already have. :( Enhanced Steam isn't exactly perfect but it's a neat little time saver.

I read this out of context and thought you were talking about that other Episode 2.
I considered editing my post to not mention "Episode 3" without context.

E1 was excellent, yes. I don't remember much of what happened in which episode, but it was one of my favorites.

Without spoiling anything, E2 had a part near the end that I found incredibly frustrating, and had to replay no less than 10 times.
I think I know what you mean and it involved
stairs.
It didn't take me 10 times, but it did take me a few tries.

Caerith

Exactly. That part sucked, I'm glad the rest of the season was amazing, to make up for that AWFUL moment.
It's one of two "use palm on face" moments of adventure gaming guess-and-click in the season. The other, for me, is in episode one where you, well, blatantly go around solving puzzles. The rest of the season felt a lot more natural, a lot less contrived.

Exuro

I considered editing my post to not mention "Episode 3" without context.

I think I know what you mean and it involved
stairs.
It didn't take me 10 times, but it did take me a few tries.
Huh I just played through 2 a few days ago for the first time and didn't have any issue with that part. What's the problem with it?

1-D_FTW

Put my four L4D cards on the market this morning. It was like a feeding frenzy. I didn't even beat the cheapest card by a penny, and as soon as it listed, it immediately sold. If I had been feeding fish with these things, they would have bit my fingers off.

Caerith

Huh I just played through 2 a few days ago for the first time and didn't have any issue with that part. What's the problem with it?
Well...
When Brenda is holding Katja hostage, if you do the wrong thing, she shoots you. It's pretty easy to do the wrong thing while you're trying to trick her into backing up into Mark.

By the way, I love the semi-hidden possibilities in TWD. Like, episode two spoiler:
"Fuck you, Larry. Eat up."

And episode three spoiler:
Duckpocalypse.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Put my four L4D cards on the market this morning. It was like a feeding frenzy. I didn't even beat the cheapest card by a penny, and as soon as it listed, it immediately sold. If I had been feeding fish with these things, they would have bit my fingers off.

That's true, I sold my L4D2 cards yesterday, and they were gone in a blink of an eye.
I made 2.79€, maybe I can get to 5 if I'm lucky with HL2 and Portal 2. :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I managed to snag one foil with the initial wave of cards, but my luck has been non-existent since.

I think i'm just going to install all of my games in prep for cards. Now if I could just start a game from my office, that would be great.

Make it happen Gaben..

Acorn

Yes it does. Any money spent in foreign currency costs me £1.25 as well as a small percentage. In the case of Amazon, best way to do it is by giving a US gaffer $ through Paypal to make the purchase for me. Paypal also charge a percentage, but it can work out better on smaller purchases depending on your bank.

Good idea, thanks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of two "use palm on face" moments of adventure gaming guess-and-click in the season. The other, for me, is in episode one where you, well, blatantly go around solving puzzles. The rest of the season felt a lot more natural, a lot less contrived.
I don't remember which puzzles you mean. Would you mind posting them inside spoiler tags?

I ran into that issue, and I think it's a bug. I ended up quitting and then reloading, and everything proceeded fine.
I was thinking about ragequitting at that part (I may have done so, can't remember). But finally I was able to beat it, by
moving VEEEEERY slowly, repeatedly pushing the stick a minuscule bit and for fractions of a second, until it triggered the old woman's animation (can't remember her name) where she would back away from me. Then I would stop, reply to her and repeat the same process, until that bullshit section was done.

I find it incredibly difficult to understand how that part passed beta testing.

JaseC

Part of me wish Summer Sale to be this month but it must be in July, right fellow GAFfers?

Short of devs dropping hints, it's impossible to say. The first Summer Sale began late June, however last year's began ~mid-July.

1-D_FTW

And for a while, they included the 4th of July. But last year got away from that. Which makes sense. Why make people maintain this during the holidays? So I'd expect it to end before the 4th or start the next week.

Caerith

I don't remember which puzzles you mean. Would you mind posting them inside spoiler tags?
To get to the key, you needed to find batteries for a universal remote to use on a TV store across the street then find a brick and break the window so the walkers roaming around in the street could hear it and be distracted, all so you could walk ten feet away. Felt very contrived, why couldn't you just very sneakily walk ten feet away and grab the key?

Remote software? Via your phone or your work computer?
Remote idle.

Remote software? Via your phone or your work computer?

pretty sure my work would block the shit out of that. Havn't considered phone though...

And for a while, they included the 4th of July. But last year got away from that. Which makes sense. Why make people maintain this during the holidays? So I'd expect it to end before the 4th or start the next week.

I'm getting married on the 6th....think we can convince Gaben to NOT have it around the 4th?

Dario ff

Banned
With the Xbox One details, it seems like it'd be smart for Steam to implement a way to let you log-in to the same account (and be online in both, not have to leave one in offline mode), and just not let you play the same game at the same time. (Although that should probably be just limited to online games)

That way it'd compete with that "10 people sharing" feature (which I can already see being exploited to hell and back), because the only people you'd likely want to share your Steam account with is the ones you have the most trust. Your password would likely just be remembered by the devices themselves, so there's no need to give passwords away either.

The other reason is that if Steambox does turn out to be a thing, the feature will be necessary if it's supposed to take the place in the living room. Steambox logging you out of Steam on your desktop/laptop is something that will happen and should probably be fixed. It's a common situation I can think of, someone playing on the PC and someone else that wants to play on the Steambox.

The only problem I see with it is that Valve would need to add some other sort of verification to avoid multiple people from different places altogether logging into the same account to share games constantly. IP verification sounds like it'd work in theory since most devices in the house would be behind a router, but can't IPs be spoofed as well?

Just some thoughts on the matter if Steam wants to implement some features to compete.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
For those who bought it for the Caverns DLC, how long was it? My love of Trine tempts me, but if it's not substantial, I feel I'd be better off waiting till the summer sale and paying less. 5 dollars for 20 minutes isn't a very good deal.

Do you already own the previous DLC? Because it just comes free with that. Your version is automatically upgraded to the complete edition. It was previously exclusive to the WiiU version of the game.

As for the level itself, it lasts maybe 30 minutes and it's crazy gorgeous. Kinda random though.

1-D_FTW

I'm getting married on the 6th....think we can convince Gaben to NOT have it around the 4th?

I'm betting you're safe. Running the week of the 4th seems like an unnecessary hassle they've gotten away from.

Do you already own the previous DLC? Because it just comes free with that. Your version is automatically upgraded to the complete edition. It was previously exclusive to the WiiU version of the game.

As for the level itself, it lasts maybe 30 minutes and it's crazy gorgeous. Kinda random though.

I own Gobllin Menace plus the original Trine 1 too. Own everything you can (I think).

So I already own it? I know what I'll be playing tonight:)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I own Gobllin Menace plus the original Trine 1 too. Own everything you can (I think).

So I already own it? I know what I'll be playing tonight:)
Yeah, you are good to go then. There was like a 400 mb patch for Trine 2 and the content was in that. Just boot it up and the load screen should now say Trine 2 Complete Edition or something along those lines and the new level will be unlocked at the bottom of the list when you get all 10 hidden chests in the Goblin Menace levels (2 per level, 5 levels have them).

1-D_FTW

Yeah, you are good to go then. There was like a 400 mb patch for Trine 2 and the content was in that. Just boot it up and the load screen should now say Trine 2 Complete Edition or something along those lines and the new level will be unlocked at the bottom of the list when you get all 10 hidden chests in the Goblin Menace levels (2 per level, 5 levels have them).

Cool. I don't think I have all 10 hidden chests, but that's a good excuse to play it a little more. I don't even mind that requirement.

hulot

I've been having a problem with Steam and a few particular games (like Frozen Synapse). When I run a trailer in the client or the game at full screen, it doesn't scale to my screen, rather it enlarges past my screen, so I can only see a quarter of the actual frame. I reinstalled Steam but it still is there. My browser is fine and I can watch any online video at full screen without the same issues. Can anyone help?

derExperte

With the Xbox One details, it seems like it'd be smart for Steam to implement a way to let you log-in to the same account (and be online in both, not have to leave one in offline mode), and just not let you play the same game at the same time. (Although that should probably be just limited to online games)

That way it'd compete with that "10 people sharing" feature (which I can already see being exploited to hell and back)

And that's why I doubt there aren't some more caveats and restriction we don't know about yet.

Dario ff

Banned
And that's why I doubt there aren't some more caveats and restriction we don't know about yet.

While common sense dictates that MS likely has foreseen some restrictions to this already, they've had failures in the past that lead them to restricting systems even more. GFWL would also let you share games when it launched. When people ended up getting lots of free games thank to reusing the keys online, they just ended up removing the feature altogether. They either learned from those mistakes or are heading into another mess.

Steam seems to have implemented lately a lot of stuff for trying to make accounts feel more personal, but it's going to be at conflict with that with the purpose of Steambox. The only one account mentality across different devices seems more intuitive than different accounts per person. It just doesn't seem very well implemented at the moment due to having to mess with offline mode and such to get it working.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I assumed that the Xbone's 10 person share policy was for local accounts on the same machine only. Am I mistaken?

derExperte

I assumed that the Xbone's 10 person share policy was for local accounts on the same machine only. Am I mistaken?

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

What I don't understand is what they mean by "any one of your family members". One at a time? Or everyone? And how does MS determine who's a family member?

JaseC

That way it'd compete with that "10 people sharing" feature (which I can already see being exploited to hell and back), because the only people you'd likely want to share your Steam account with is the ones you have the most trust. Your password would likely just be remembered by the devices themselves, so there's no need to give passwords away either.

The other reason is that if Steambox does turn out to be a thing, the feature will be necessary if it's supposed to take the place in the living room. Steambox logging you out of Steam on your desktop/laptop is something that will happen and should probably be fixed. It's a common situation I can think of, someone playing on the PC and someone else that wants to play on the Steambox.

The only problem I see with it is that Valve would need to add some other sort of verification to avoid multiple people from different places altogether logging into the same account to share games constantly. IP verification sounds like it'd work in theory since most devices in the house would be behind a router, but can't IPs be spoofed as well?

Just some thoughts on the matter if Steam wants to implement some features to compete.

There's also the matter of community features to consider, because having multiple instances of the same account engaging with the same friends list would be messy. One approach would be to have the account holder nominate their system/s as the primary one/s (requiring confirmation via Steam Guard), with other approved PCs being secondary systems that have community features disabled. Oh, and to completely avoid the possibility of one of your friends going nuts on the store with your credit card, enabling account sharing should also automatically remove any saved billing information; alternatively, purchasing on secondary systems should be disallowed completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom