• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct, though there are a couple gotchas to be aware of:

For DOTA2 to get your initial card drops you had to already "own" the game before the Trading Card beta started.
For TF2 to get your initial card drops you had to have owned the game or spent money in the Mann Co store.

And here are a couple of tips:

You can idle in games to get your initial card drops, they seem to drop around one every 20-25 minutes.
For Source Engine games you can use these options to idle in textmode: -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest". I have tested this with TF2, HL2, Portal 2, L4D2 and DOTA2 and it works for all of them. You may see error messages, as long as the game is still running you can just ignore them.
For Borderlands 2 you can just idle at the splash screen.

Thanks for the info man. Got two Faerie Solitaire cards already, but no foil. :-(

I just looked into this, apparently with DOTA2 you had to "own" the game before the Trading Card beta started to get the initial card drops. If you don't, then you have to spend $9 for each extra drop.

Nope.

I had DOTA 2 before the Beta and it still told me my drops are used up.

1-D_FTW

I was close to writing an angry post about how they removed the Trine 2 DLC before I could buy it but it actually has an upgrade option to Trine 2 Complete.

GG Frozenbyte

Yeah. Gotta love stealth updates that give you free content. And even the upgrade path of 4.99 is a price reduction if you owned Trine 2, but not Goblin Menace.

Still haven't played the bonus level yet. Needed to find more chests than I thought. Only have two left though, so I'll see it today:)

Knurek

I know this is not a popular opinion, but as much as I like Bit.Trip Runner, I still think the game would be better with checkpoints or a few allowed misses.

Beat World 1 boss yesterday, which really illustrates the problem. The attacks aren't telegraphed at all, so you need to gradually learn whatever that floating bastard is doing. Which is tedious, not fun.

Can't wait to get Runner 2 in the Summer Seal

I know this is not a popular opinion, but as much as I like Bit.Trip Runner, I still think the game would be better with checkpoints or a few allowed misses.

Beat World 1 boss yesterday, which really illustrates the problem. The attacks aren't telegraphed at all, so you need to gradually learn whatever that floating bastard is doing. Which is tedious, not fun.

Can't wait to get Runner 2 in the Summer Seal

Yeah, I gave up at that boss. I should go back to it eventually. That boss just sucked all of the fun out of the game for me.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
k1YHVU3.jpg

this is gonna go away when the trading card thing goes out of beta right

right

if you've got an extra, i could use it to send to a friend

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really? Maybe Minervas Den on Steam then?

The achievements are there and have been for a while but you can't earn them yet was his point. But presumably they will patch out GFWL and push the achievements live at some point. And Minerva's Den is included in the achievements, so presumably it's also going to be made available for sale.

Dr Dogg

The achievements are there and have been for a while but you can't earn them yet was his point. But presumably they will patch out GFWL and push the achievements live at some point. And Minerva's Den is included in the achievements, so presumably it's also going to be made available for sale.

Ah right, like Arkham Asylum then. Hopefully this will be the case and not just a quick and dirty copy of the achievement list and/or hooks. Although all roads are looking like GFWL is going south pretty soon.

1-D_FTW

Finished the DLC with Trine 2 and now I'm a sad panda. No more of this glorious world. Splot with DSesque graphics next:(

The ending line made me laugh. Such perfect delivery:
Oh, it's just books.
Good stuff.

wilflare

Correct, though there are a couple gotchas to be aware of:

For DOTA2 to get your initial card drops you had to already "own" the game before the Trading Card beta started.
For TF2 to get your initial card drops you had to have owned the game or spent money in the Mann Co store.

And here are a couple of tips:

You can idle in games to get your initial card drops, they seem to drop around one every 20-25 minutes.
For Source Engine games you can use these options to idle in textmode: -textmode -nosound -window -nopreload -novid -dxlevel 81 +map "itemtest". I have tested this with TF2, HL2, Portal 2, L4D2 and DOTA2 and it works for all of them. You may see error messages, as long as the game is still running you can just ignore them.
For Borderlands 2 you can just idle at the splash screen.

had Dota2 before the Trading Card beta started, no drops (not even the initial ones)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
had Dota2 before the Trading Card beta started, no drops (not even the initial ones)

You had to have bought something on the DOTA 2 store before the trading card beta had began. Same with TF2 - you either bought the game, the orange box or made a purchase in the in game store before the trading card began.

I'll be nice if they removed the multiplayer achievements, since multiplayer died years ago.

wilflare

You had to have bought something on the DOTA 2 store before the trading card beta had began. Same with TF2 - you either bought the game, the orange box or made a purchase in the in game store before the trading card began.

oh dang :/ I didn't buy anything on the DOTA2 store.. guess that's it :/

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finished the DLC with Trine 2 and now I'm a sad panda. No more of this glorious world. Splot with DSesque graphics next:(

The ending line made me laugh. Such perfect delivery:
Oh, it's just books.
Good stuff.

I just looked that game up and it makes me want to cry. I want more Trine or more anything from them with their Trine 2-tier graphics. They better have something in the works.

sibarraz

Banned
So yeah, are sam and max episode 1 and 2 good or I should avoid them and get happy with 3?

At least the 2 opinions that I saw in this thread were

-They work to understand some shoutouts in episode 3 (I could see this since I lost a lot of shoutouts in the Yakuza Series because I started playing them on 3 instead of the beginning)

-They are shit and with 3 you get a good introduction to the universe

so yay?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
oh dang :/ I didn't buy anything on the DOTA2 store.. guess that's it :/

That's why my alternate accounts can't drop cards: I never bothered to "validate" them - they don't have payment options assigned to them and they never made a purchase on the Steam Store, TF2 store or Dota 2 store.

Maybe I should fix that - The smaller amount of money you can apply to your steam wallet is 5 dollars, and a key costs 2,49 on each store... If I had done that before, they would have paid for themselves by now.

Hanzou

Anybody else seemingly have the Company of Heroes 2 Beta uninstall itself? Was in my library and noticed it has a real grid icon now but noticed its not installed anymore although there is a 98MB test build folder still in the steam directory. I am certain I never uninstalled it, in fact, there was that 9GB update like a week or two ago. This happen to anyone else?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So yeah, are sam and max episode 1 and 2 good or I should avoid them and get happy with 3?

-They work to understand some shoutouts in episode 3 (I could see this since I lost a lot of shoutouts in the Yakuza Series because I started playing them on 3 instead of the beginning)

so yay?

I can't remember any real significant call outs to S01/02 in S03, but I played them early last year so my memory is kinda fuzzy. Personally I would say skip the series all together, but that's just me.

so yay?

You'll will miss out of the story if jump in episode 3, just play the episodes in correct order.

EDIT: are you talking about episodes or Seasons? season 1 and 2 are standalone, but you won't understand the characters or some of the recurring jokes.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You're holding three plates in one hand? What the fuck is wrong with your hands?

I assume the only dinnerware you're familiar with is the spoon that's been in your mouth since birth: you've clearly never worked in the food service industry.

I bet you don't even tip.

If I purchase a game from Desura or GMG that is not currently on Steam but the game gets added to Steam later, does Desura or GMG ever add Steam keys for retrieval?

I assume the only dinnerware you're familiar with is the spoon that's been in your mouth since birth: you've clearly never worked in the food service industry.

I bet you don't even tip.

Bringing 4 plates to a table without spilling anything was my greatest accomplishment at 16.

Funnest Summer I had and it even paid well.

1-D_FTW

Yes, Portal 2 for PS3.

I can't really remember anything else. But they already said that they would not make big announcements there.

Didn't really affect Steam though.

They debuted HL2 at E3 (was my "I need to get a PC moment"). They also surprise debuted L4D2 at e3.

It's possible we could see Source 2 (L4D3?) at E3. But if he's asking for new Steam features, I wouldn't expect anything. Wouldn't expect anything really. Expect nothing and hope for something.

Giard

I have a code for Gods and Kings, anybody interested? Would be willing to sell it for 4 bucks. If not, I'll do a giveaway on Steamgifts.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I have a code for Gods and Kings, anybody interested? Would be willing to sell it for 4 bucks. If not, I'll do a giveaway on Steamgifts.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Not that you'll have trouble finding a buyer for that at that price, but in the future you'll want to check out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in Gaming Community. Thread has some rules so read up on em and you'll almost never have trouble selling something off.

cicero

Not that you'll have trouble finding a buyer for that at that price, but in the future you'll want to check out the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in Gaming Community. Thread has some rules so read up on em and you'll almost never have trouble selling something off.

Except that anyone interested would be FAR better off just paying $1 more to get the $5 Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition Upgrade currently being sold on Steam during the sale. Another alternative is the Steam "Take One, Give One" giveaway thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom