• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Does anyone know why Team Fortress 2 is taking hours to install? I don't mean download, but installing, with the little Steam window with the progress bar... 10 minutes and it did just 4 bars.

FloatOn

Just read the description of this game 7 Grand Steps. Seems interesting as hell.

Kind of like Crusader Kings 2 but without the headache. Anyone have impressions?

fleck0

So yeah, are sam and max episode 1 and 2 good or I should avoid them and get happy with 3?

At least the 2 opinions that I saw in this thread were

-They work to understand some shoutouts in episode 3 (I could see this since I lost a lot of shoutouts in the Yakuza Series because I started playing them on 3 instead of the beginning)

-They are shit and with 3 you get a good introduction to the universe

so yay?

I'd order the series Hit the Road > S1 > S3 > S2.

S3 is the most solid from a 'point and click' gameplay standpoint (less annoying minigames, slightly more logical puzzles). Season 1 has a lot of great musical interludes and the funniest jokes imo.

I would play them in order or not at all.

Awesomenauts is fine and all but I dislike the idea of locking characters for levels.

That is a drag; for what it's worth if you have purchased a skin for a character they are unlocked to you no matter your level.

The bigger issue I have with the design is that some of the perks are unavailable to you until you level up. This handicaps low level players on a level above their own native inexperience and really serves no purpose other than to create imbalance. All perks should be available from the start and then it's simply up to you to intelligently decide which ones are best used and to have the skill to go out and earn the solar necessary to enable them.

Great game otherwise though and still my favourite moba.

HoosTrax

That is a drag; for what it's worth if you have purchased a skin for a character they are unlocked to you no matter your level.

The bigger issue I have with the design is that some of the perks are unavailable to you until you level up. This handicaps low level players on a level above their own native inexperience and really serves no purpose other than to create imbalance. All perks should be available from the start and then it's simply up to you to intelligently decide which ones are best used and to have the skill to go out and earn the solar necessary to enable them.

Yeah I found those issues to be strange design decisions as well. Personally, the way I learn how to counter other characters is by playing them, so when you make it so I can't play the same characters veteran players have access to, or the same skills they can use, it puts me at disadvantage on top of inexperience.

That said, offline botmatch with easy bots does level you quickly and you should have the characters unlocked fairly quickly. The perks are a whole different story though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Yeah, even the "league" ranking isn't going to help since you can still be a high leveled player with a low league rank.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is not a popular opinion, but as much as I like Bit.Trip Runner, I still think the game would be better with checkpoints or a few allowed misses.

Beat World 1 boss yesterday, which really illustrates the problem. The attacks aren't telegraphed at all, so you need to gradually learn whatever that floating bastard is doing. Which is tedious, not fun.

Can't wait to get Runner 2 in the Summer Seal
Runner 2 did that, and it really makes the game a piece of cake (always wanted to use this phrase, thanks Duke Nukem!)

I love both of them, and despite R1 being infuriating at times (1-11, 2-11, 3-9 and 3-11 still give me nightmares), once I beat it I got a sense of accomplishment that I experienced with very few other games. It's true that the first 10 times can be a little trial and error, but once you learn and remember the pattern, it's a matter of reflexes.

If someone from Gaijin Games is reading this: PLEASE BRING THE EXTRA LEVELS FROM WII'S COMPLETE TO STEAM! I wouldn't mind if they are paid DLC, I just want to play them on PC. As someone who finished all 20 levels in Beat and Runner, I'd like to have 2 achievements to show them off :p

Nice, found another foil, went into a markdown war with a couple dudes in the market, and ended up getting mine sold for a profit of $10.50. It's okay though since that still puts me at $28.02.

I think I'ma start my summer sale early and pick up Gunpoint and Dust.

Nokterian

So i want to buy all the DLC for Saints Row 3 but when i have the season pass why are the 3 pieces of that season pass in my cart,can i delete those?

cicero

Does anyone know why Team Fortress 2 is taking hours to install? I don't mean download, but installing, with the little Steam window with the progress bar... 10 minutes and it did just 4 bars.

I had the same issue as you at about the same time. It eventually became faster and my install finished.

Tenrius

I don't understand HOW can anybody miss a daily deal.

It stays up for 24 HOURS, why do you have to buy the deal on the NEXT DAY, as opposed to the day it goes up?

I never understood it.

You can forget to check the daily deal and found out it was something you wanted once it's over.

TronLight

What's the reason for that anyway? Does it affect the account or service in any way?

Steam was integrated on PS3 with Portal 2, so when you buy a PS3 Portal 2, you have a code for the PC version too.
You have to log-in with you PSN account, if I'm not mistaken.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
So I reformatted my PC not long ago. Reinstall steam and get the steam guard key notification but I receive no email for the key, tried it multiple times. Yet I can receive email notifications from support@steampowered.com notifying me that my brother just gifted me a game through steam...

How do I gain access to my Steam account?

DoomGyver

I'm looking into building my first gaming pc and using steam. My problem is I have a 30gb data cap. Can I purchase physical copies of most steam games? Is there a considerable price difference between digital and physical?

If you are a pc gamer and have a data cap I'd like hear your opinion, and how you manage your data.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Steam was integrated on PS3 with Portal 2, so when you buy a PS3 Portal 2, you have a code for the PC version too.
You have to log-in with you PSN account, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, yeah I got Portal 2 on PS3 for this reason but I was a Steam user beforehand and got the code in the box, I just added it to my regular Steam account. Is the option for people trying to log into Steam through the PS3 itself?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Repost for new page:

So I reformatted my PC not long ago. Reinstall steam and get the steam guard key notification but I receive no email for the key, tried it multiple times. Yet I can receive email notifications from support@steampowered.com notifying me that my brother just gifted me a game through steam...

Digoman

I think they are having problems with the email codes. Steam asked "is this still your email" but I also haven't got the code yet.

It appears to be a issue on their end.
Reddit
Steamcommunity thread

TronLight

I'm looking into building my first gaming pc and using steam. My problem is I have a 30gb data cap. Can I purchase physical copies of most steam games? Is there a considerable price difference between digital and physical?

If you are a pc gamer and have a data cap I'd like hear your opinion, and how you manage your data.

Yeah, the difference in price is huge.
Most "important" games are around 8-12GB, but indies and such are way smaller usually.

Oh, yeah I got Portal 2 on PS3 for this reason but I was a Steam user beforehand and got the code in the box, I just added it to my regular Steam account. Is the option for people trying to log into Steam through the PS3 itself?

I don't know, never played Portal 2 on PS3. :lol

99% of the (good) sales for PC games are online only. You will be able to get most bigger releases on disc, but I couldn't imagine using Steam with such a low data cap. Is that the only option available to you?

DoomGyver

99% of the (good) sales for PC games are online only. You will be able to get most bigger releases on disc, but I couldn't imagine using Steam with such a low data cap. Is that the only option available to you?

The only other option has terrible bandwidth and horrid reliability. I don't purchase very many games a year anymore if that makes a difference. So I'll miss out on most sales because I have to go retail, I can deal with that if I have to.

TronLight

The only other option has terrible bandwidth and horrid reliability. I don't purchase very many games a year anymore if that makes a difference. So I'll miss out on most sales because I have to go retail, I can deal with that if I have to.

Don't miss out... Just download you heavy games like, one for month.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone have an extra trading card beta invite or two they can send my way? i want to get my friends who don't care about this in on it so i can collect their cards.............

Digoman

Thank Cthulhu!

Glad it's not just me, thanks for the info.

This happened to me last night (with the SteamGuard). It just took like 10 minutes for the email to show up.

Little update for me. Going by the time on the email and actual received time, it took more then 30 minutes to get my "email verification" email (just received it). I don't know if the Steamguard server is more lagged then that or not.

Dr Dogg

I've got a 60gb data cap but is unlimited between 12am - 8am so download stuff I want during those hours. Updates on Steam from titles you have installed are set to download automatically by default so if you are getting close to your limit or worried about going over you might want to manage this manually.

As to physical copies, I have bought a few that have been cheaper than Steam or other dd services prices but not that often but dead handy installing from DVDs though. Still need to register the key to your account and update any patches but is hassle free. Bare in mind that there are only a limited amount of retail games that can be registered on Steam. There's a link in the OP as to which ones you can.

TronLight

I've got a 60gb data cap but is unlimited between 12am - 8am so download stuff I want during those hours. Updates on Steam from titles you have installed are set to download automatically by default so if you are getting close to your limit or worried about going over you might want to manage this manually.

I honestly can't find any sense in this.
And in bandwitdh caps in general.

Sblargh

Banned
Bad game ;_; I thought it was boring and uninspiring.

I heard someone mentioning it somewhere (during the WarZ debacle) that this was an example of game that valve should not have aproved. So the answer does not surprise me, but I don't even remember where I read this, so who knows, maybe I am completely wrong.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I honestly can't find any sense in this.
And in bandwitdh caps in general.

If you are on Cable, it makes sense: You're limited during peak hours (when everybody would be using the network, which is always not "big" enough to support everybody downloading at their max rate).

However, during the night, when there's less people online, you're free to do whatever, since 75% of the user base would be sleeping or something.

It makes sense, it's just shitty. And should be illegal.

TronLight

If you are on Cable, it makes sense: You're limited during peak hours (when everybody would be using the network, which is always not "big" enough to support everybody downloading at their max rate).

However, during the night, when there's less people online, you're free to do whatever, since 75% of the user base would be sleeping or something.

It makes sense, it's just shitty. And should be illegal.

Yeah but c'mon, how many people could be downloading 3+GB files at any given point in the day in a single area. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom