• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard someone mentioning it somewhere (during the WarZ debacle) that this was an example of game that valve should not have aproved. So the answer does not surprise me, but I don't even remember where I read this, so who knows, maybe I am completely wrong.

The reason why it shouldn't have been approved was that it was in a barely playable state at that time. Things are way better now.

The game has some problems (the terrible UI is one of them). I would not say it's boring, but it's certainly not the most thrilling game you might find (it's largely inspired by - and not as good as - Dwarf Fortress, which some people also find boring).

Anyways, the game is not great, but it's not bad. For the same price, one should rather buy Gnomoria, which is really good.

Caerith

So yeah, are sam and max episode 1 and 2 good or I should avoid them and get happy with 3?

At least the 2 opinions that I saw in this thread were

-They work to understand some shoutouts in episode 3 (I could see this since I lost a lot of shoutouts in the Yakuza Series because I started playing them on 3 instead of the beginning)

-They are shit and with 3 you get a good introduction to the universe

so yay?
If you like Sam & Max, you should play all three seasons. If you don't like Sam & Max, then follow Stallion's advice and skip all three seasons. If you don't care one way or another and just want to clear them off your backlog, then just load up a walkthrough and who cares.

I'd order the series Hit the Road > S1 > S3 > S2.

S3 is the most solid from a 'point and click' gameplay standpoint (less annoying minigames, slightly more logical puzzles). Season 1 has a lot of great musical interludes and the funniest jokes imo.

I would play them in order or not at all.
Seconded.

Dr Dogg

I honestly can't find any sense in this.
And in bandwitdh caps in general.

Well it's their way of limiting use during peak hours and not some draconian throttling or fair use policy. It is a right pain having to make sure to remember to queue up big downloads late at night but it's sure better than going over and paying £5 per every extra 5gb block.

If you are on Cable, it makes sense: You're limited during peak hours (when everybody would be using the network, which is always not "big" enough to support everybody downloading at their max rate).

However, during the night, when there's less people online, you're free to do whatever, since 75% of the user base would be sleeping or something.

It makes sense, it's just shitty. And should be illegal.

I got a 300GB cap with unlimited from 2am-8am. The ISP has to pay for the 10Gig links to the aggregate points on the incumbent's cable network. Those links fill up slower if there is incentive for people to schedule their downloads to happen in the morning.

Stitch

Gold Member
Towns is a game that should be in the early access part of Steam because it is pretty much a crappy Alpha.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Talking about slow Steam emails, I sold a bunch of cards today, and confermation emails took half and our to arrive, I did find it strange enough, since Steam it's usually instantaneous.

t-ramp

I'm looking into building my first gaming pc and using steam. My problem is I have a 30gb data cap. Can I purchase physical copies of most steam games? Is there a considerable price difference between digital and physical?

If you are a pc gamer and have a data cap I'd like hear your opinion, and how you manage your data.
Do you have access to another connection at school or work? I just download elsewhere and copy-paste to my home PC.

Towns is a game that should be in the early access part of Steam because it is pretty much a crappy Alpha.

Steam Early Access did not exist when they decided to release the game (which was Greenlit) on Steam.

But now, I agree that they should include it to the Early Access part of Steam.

So apparently a recent update broke HL2-EP2. No voices can be heard from characters. Sometimes I wish Valve gave you the option to download specific releases of a game. For example, TF2 before it became a hat simulator, or HL2 as it came in 2004.

Gvaz

Banned
Any tips, then? I have 5 pages fully evolved + 1 unevolved, but it was at least an hour of gameplay before getting that last egg. The drop rate for eggs is really disproportionate to the game length.

Only in capitalism does generosity = stupidity.

What does generosity give you in capitalism? A potentiality? More like throwing money away.

I'm not supporting this point, merely being a devils advocate for the point of view.

So apparently a recent update broke HL2-EP2. No voices can be heard from characters. Sometimes I wish Valve gave you the option to download specific releases of a game. For example, TF2 before it became a hat simulator, or HL2 as it came in 2004.

When they updated the engine some time ago, they broke HL2 for those (like me) who don't use HDR... And it's still not patched.

When they updated the engine some time ago, they broke HL2 for those (like me) who don't use HDR... And it's still not patched.

What really rustles mah jimmies is that every time they do stuff like this, they break compatibility with a shitload of mods. I don't think I can play Minverva and Research and Development with the new versions. Why Gabe, WHY?!

jediyoshi

What really rustles mah jimmies is that every time they do stuff like this, they break compatibility with a shitload of mods. I don't think I can play Minverva and Research and Development with the new versions. Why Gabe, WHY?!

Is there a benefit of OG Minerva over the re-release?

1-D_FTW

The only other option has terrible bandwidth and horrid reliability. I don't purchase very many games a year anymore if that makes a difference. So I'll miss out on most sales because I have to go retail, I can deal with that if I have to.

Do you know anyone who's uncapped? Because you can always download and then transfer via thumb drive.

If you are on Cable, it makes sense: You're limited during peak hours (when everybody would be using the network, which is always not "big" enough to support everybody downloading at their max rate).

However, during the night, when there's less people online, you're free to do whatever, since 75% of the user base would be sleeping or something.

It makes sense, it's just shitty. And should be illegal.

I'm not saying it's this way for everyone, but most cable bandwidth caps are bullshit through and through. They don't want to give you unlimited bandwidth, because that would mean cancelling your expensive subscription and going internet only (and streaming everything). Even in the above scenario, which may be legit for some small ISP, it makes sense because that's when the majority of people would be streaming their entertainment. Give them unlimited access during those hours and bye-bye cable tv subscription. This is a strategic move on their part.

feel

anyone have an extra trading card beta invite or two they can send my way? i want to get my friends who don't care about this in on it so i can collect their cards.............
They're around 10 cents here.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/Steam Trading Card Beta

You can easily make back at the very least $10 off each friend if you annoy them enough to iddle in multiple games, so it's worth the investment lol. I've already made around $50 just off good friends that don't care about cards to go towards the summer seal. Shame the foil lvl10 requierement was only lifted recently or I could've possibly gotten more steam money. I'll toss some games their way too of course.

Grief.exe

Vecks

They're around 10 cents here.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/Steam Trading Card Beta

You can easily make back at the very least $10 off each friend if you annoy them enough to iddle in multiple games, so it's worth the investment lol. I've already made around $50 just off good friends that don't care about cards to go towards the summer seal. Shame the foil lvl10 requierement was only lifted recently or I could've possibly gotten more steam money. I'll toss some games their way too of course.

What? They removed the level requirement? I just leveled up to 10 today. :(

On a side (and somewhat related) note... anyone want a 50% off coupon for Super Sanctum TD?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone want a 66% off coupon for sins of a solar empire: trinity? brings the price down to less than 7 bucks. just pm me and the coupon is yours.

guys, level 10 gets you the showcase... that's pretty rad (and the only reason i'm workin towards 10)

gonna flip the awesomenauts cards, gonna level up thomas was alone. for sure, need those backgrounds.

I started it but it started to bore me. How long is it?

i can't imagine why Thomas was alone would bore you... it's understated, sure, but the music is incredible, the narration and characters are so charming, and the controls are very tight.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I have a -50% cargo commander coupon and a -33% bad bots coupon to give away. If someone wants one of them just PM me.

dot

What? They removed the level requirement? I just leveled up to 10 today. :(

On a side (and somewhat related) note... anyone want a 50% off coupon for Super Sanctum TD?

You can still now display a showcase so it isn't all that bad.

guys, level 10 gets you the showcase... that's pretty rad (and the only reason i'm workin towards 10)

Showcase really is rad:
XW0bmOf.jpg

Acorn

i can't imagine why Thomas was alone would bore you... it's understated, sure, but the music is incredible, the narration and characters are so charming, and the controls are very tight.

I had played proteus and Dear Esther that day. I was sick of the "Hey you feel something" games that day.

Caerith

What does generosity give you in capitalism? A potentiality? More like throwing money away.

I'm not supporting this point, merely being a devils advocate for the point of view.
Oh, I know. Lying, cheating, backstabbing, and drowning babies in bathtubs is the most rational, laudable behavior in capitalism. But, well, consider this:

Death said:
TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY.

YOU NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?
As long as people believe in generosity and fairness, there's a reason to remain generous.

Also, quote to reveal keys for Titan Quest, HIB3, and Saints Row the Third.

sibarraz

Banned
Awesomenauts is fun, but don't know, I can't see myself playing it a lot, there is something that makes it feel a bit ''boring'' and is not from a gameplay perspective, but more general

Grief.exe

I hope this time is not based on Flash!

One of the awesome things about moving away from Flash is more monsters on screen, more tears, new item abilities.

I listened to a Northern lion interview with the creator about the process, very interesting.

They couldn't even get the game to compile anymore after Wrath of the Lamb.

Acorn

Is there anyway of getting a key from a gift in my inventory? I tried e-mailing it to myself, no key just a link to add it to my library.

Grief.exe

Is there anyway of getting a key from a gift in my inventory? I tried e-mailing it to myself, no key just a link to add it to my library.

That's actually a very good ideas for a future Steam update.

Keeps scams down and lessens the burden on Steam support.

kaleii

Oh, I know. Lying, cheating, backstabbing, and drowning babies in bathtubs is the most rational, laudable behavior in capitalism. But, well, consider this:

As long as people believe in generosity and fairness, there's a reason to remain generous.

Also, quote to reveal keys for Titan Quest, HIB3, and Saints Row the Third.

Some lurker took SR3 :\

Wish more people would give away good stuff in the Take One, Give One thread. It serves a purpose and promotes a pay it forward attitude.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=62143863

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom