• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

I want to like Civ 5 but every time I play it I end up failing so hard. I want to like Civ games but I suck at all of them.

I was the same way for the longest time after buying Civ V. And now I've played Civ V for near 80 hours, and I still only understand it really on a very basic level. I know I love it (except combat really), but I know there's so much depth I just gloss over. lol

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck yeah, I got 70 seconds in Hyper Hexagon! I'm 2/3 of the way, baby.

Now only the hardest third of the game remains. And I just got 50 seconds on Hyper Hexagoner, so it's a matter of time with that one. As for Hyper Hexagonest... nah, that level is still a bad joke.

EDIT: just made Hyper Hexagoner my bitch: 62 seconds. Should I give up now, or is it worth it to keep bashing my head against Hyper Hexagonest?

achievement_zps20ec5145.gif

How I feel increasingly these days. Especially in Remember Me.

mrgone

The Trine 2 Complete Story Upgrade is more expensive than Trine 2 Complete Story. Rofl.

Wow, and we can only buy Complete Story as a gift if we already own Trine 2 vanilla. Hopefully it's just someone's weekend fuckup or that's some cartoon villainy on the part of Frozenbyte.

I've played Civ V for 646 hours and have 49% of the achievements. There's a few tied to multiplayer, which I will likely never play, and many tied to the scenarios I haven't really touched (beyond Empire of the Smokey Skies).

ShaneB

Can someone please confirm that CIV V GOTY ed. doesn't have the Korea or Wonders of the Ancient World DLC?

Buy Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition
Includes 13 items: Sid Meier's Civilization® V, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mediterranean, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Asia, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Americas, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mesopotamia, Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack, Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca , Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II), Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings, Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia, Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings, Civilization V - Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea, Civilization V - Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack

Buy Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition
Includes 13 items: Sid Meier's Civilization® V, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mediterranean, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Asia, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Americas, Civilization V: Cradle of Civilization - Mesopotamia, Civilization V: Explorer’s Map Pack, Double Civilization and Scenario Pack: Spain and Inca , Sid Meier’s Civilization® V: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II), Sid Meier's Civilization V - Gods and Kings, Civilization and Scenario Pack: Polynesia, Civilization and Scenario Pack: Denmark - The Vikings, Civilization V - Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea, Civilization V - Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack

That's strange. I bought the GotY edition and it doesn't list either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's strange. I bought the GotY edition and it doesn't list either.

Are you sure? Publishers tend to be inconsistent with DLC naming schemes. As the gif above shows, you should see "Civ and Scenario Pack - Korea" and "Scenario Pack - Ancient Wonders" in the game's (in-client) DLC tab.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that games like civ 5 has those achievements for people who only play that game

Like football manager where even though there are not lot of achievements, if you want to 100% you really must play only football manager

Are you sure? Publishers tend to be inconsistent with DLC naming schemes. As the gif above shows, you should see "Civ and Scenario Pack - Korea" and "Scenario Pack - Ancient Wonders" in the game's (in-client) DLC tab.

Yep. I definitely don't have it. It doesn't indicate ownership of the two DLC packs via the Store page either.

A Game of the Year edition was released on September 27, 2011. It includes all four of the "Cradle of Civilization" map packs, the "Explorers Map Pack", as well as most of the new civilizations (Babylon, Spain, Inca, Polynesia, Mongolia, and Denmark), their respective scenarios, and the official digital soundtrack. However, "Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea" and "Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack" are not included.

I just looked it up via Wiki. GotY edition excluded the bolded packs, but the Gold edition includes them. The Gold edition of course, replacing the GotY edition.

Just of out curiosity, if I wanted to buy one Bioshock game for my housemate, would the first or second be a better investment? I own and have played both, he has not experienced either. Not to start a debate, but I found the second title to be a much more compelling game experience, especially in the combat improvements. That in mind, given he has no experience with the series, he is likely to find the second title as remarkable as I did the first. Should I just go with the second? Just to be clear, it's one or the other.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just looked it up via Wiki. GotY edition excluded the bolded packs, but the Gold edition includes them. The Gold edition of course, replacing the GotY edition.

Ah, that'd explain it. 2K could've at least thrown GoTY owners a bone and added the two DLC items to the sub when the GE released.

Grief.exe

Just of out curiosity, if I wanted to buy one Bioshock game for my housemate, would the first or second be a better investment? I own and have played both, he has not experienced either. Not to start a debate, but I found the second title to be a much more compelling game experience, especially in the combat improvements. That in mind, given he has no experience with the series, he is likely to find the second title as remarkable as I did the first. Should I just go with the second? Just to be clear, it's one or the other.

Both Bioshock 1 & 2 are horrible ports on the PC.

That said its best to experience it from the very beginning...with System Shock 2

Both Bioshock 1 & 2 are horrible ports on the PC.

That said its best to experience it from the very beginning...with System Shock 2

I played through them both on the Xbox. I have yet to install and play the PC versions. That doesn't muster much faith though. I want System Shock 2 myself, but I'll wait out the Steam sale.

EDIT: On another note, I don't have enough Steam Gaf friends. Feel free to add me guys: pock3tmonster.

Caerith

Can someone please confirm that CIV V GOTY ed. doesn't have the Korea or Wonders of the Ancient World DLC?
I can confirm Civ V GOTY does not include Korea or Wonders of the Ancient World. Please refer to this handy ugly-ass chart I made:
Also, it doesn't matter which version you own, Steam doesn't recognize that you own Wonders on the store page but it will prevent you from buying it-- you can click "Purchase For Myself" but you get an error message on the screen after that.

I didn't think the first two Bioshock games were bad at all on the PC. I played through Bioshock twice (once recently) and Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den just fine. I played with mouse and keyboard, and while the M&K controls are a bit "flingy" at first I adapted without issue. What makes them such bad ports? A bad port to me is like Saints Row 2.

I would also pick Civ 5 over Scrolls, but it really depends on whether you plan on playing in long stretches (what Civ excels at) or shorter ones (which is where I would imagine Scrolls would be better).

Grief.exe

I didn't think the first two Bioshock games were bad at all on the PC. I played through Bioshock twice (once recently) and Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den just fine. I played with mouse and keyboard, and while the M&K controls are a bit "flingy" at first I adapted without issue. What makes them such bad ports? A bad port to me is like Saints Row 2.

I would also pick Civ 5 over Scrolls, but it really depends on whether you plan on playing in long stretches (what Civ excels at) or shorter ones (which is where I would imagine Scrolls would be better).

They both have serious issues with crashes, resolution, mouse acceleration, audio, m/kb, etc, etc.
Some issues are exclusive, some are for both.

And the latter has both GFWL and Securom. Did they really need both?

Caerith

I was the same way for the longest time after buying Civ V. And now I've played Civ V for near 80 hours, and I still only understand it really on a very basic level. I know I love it (except combat really), but I know there's so much depth I just gloss over. lol
I put in maybe 30 hours of Civ V without really understanding it. I mean, like, those icons on the city maps, for food and gold and production, I just figured more was better but didn't know what they actually, you know, did. This video really cleared a lot of stuff up for me and now I finally feel I know what I'm doing in the game.

I put in maybe 30 hours of Civ V without really understanding it. I mean, like, those icons on the city maps, for food and gold and production, I just figured more was better but didn't know what they actually, you know, did. This video really cleared a lot of stuff up for me and now I finally feel I know what I'm doing in the game.

Thanks for the link. That explains a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom