• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

Nah, don't worry. Thanks a lot for the offer, but I'd rather not have to deal with Paypal, as I never used it to transfer money to another person and I don't want to risk having to pay a fee or something.

It will be on sale again someday, right?

Summer Seal :D

HoosTrax

Summer Seal :D
Made $52 this morning selling something on the market. I'm ready!

Shopping list so far:
Skyrim DLC
Brave New World
Runner 2
Antichamber
DYAD
Papo & Yo
Gunpoint
...whole bunch of trading card games that I don't already own

Might need to sell one more item to afford all of that though.

Edit: Make that $113 so far...

Tomodachi

Anyone looking forward to Dark Souls II should be aware there's a very high probability it will be nothing like the prequel. The E3 trailer was so bad I almost felt sick.

PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION DX + is scheduled for digital release this late summer 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Steam and Windows 8

rCcmpHJ.jpg

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
FTL Cards? Awh yeah!
Love that game. ^_^

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Seems some games are no longer available to buy on Steam. May be more (thanks to 7extonly for the info):

BC Kings
Blueberry Garden
Damnation
Evil Genius
Light of Altair
Portal Royale 2
Restaurant Empire II
Street Fighter IV
Tunnel Rats: 1968

No idea why this is or if it's just temporary. He seems to think since they're from different publishers but the IDs are continuous it may be some sort of testing, whatever that means.

Still available but only in packs --no longer individually:

Alien Shooter
Alien Shooter - Revisited
Alien Shooter 2 - Reloaded
Zombie Shooter
Freedom Force
Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich
Joint Operations: Escalation
Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre
Delta Force Xtreme
Delta Force: Task Force Dagger
Delta Force: Land Warrior
Delta Force 2
Delta Force
Delta Force Xtreme 2
Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising
Black Hawk Down
Tachyon: The Fringe
Comanche 4
MiG-29: Fulcrum
F-22: Lighting 3
F-16: Multirole Fighter
Armored Fist 3
Joint Operations: Escalation
Black Hawk Down: Team Sabre

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone looking forward to Dark Souls II should be aware there's a very high probability it will be nothing like the prequel. The E3 trailer was so bad I almost felt sick.
... if you're just basing your opinion off the terrible E3 trailer, sure.

If you watched the gameplay demo IGN did a few weeks ago, you'd know everything is as it should be and there is basically nothing to worry about gameplay or presentation-wise.

Grief.exe

If you watched the gameplay demo IGN did a few weeks ago, you'd know everything is as it should be and there is basically nothing to worry about gameplay or presentation-wise.

This is the response I was going to make.

Namco just trying to target a new market, seemingly just with marketing but not with gameplay.

Tomodachi

I'm basing my opinion mainly on what the new lead developers (the "new" part being another clue) said about their ideas for the series (aiming for the skyrim audience, making everything more accessible and understandable). Then I watched a gameplay segment a few weeks ago, probably from IGN but I'm not sure. The gameplay felt very much the same but the enemy design and the locations didn't, and not in a good way. Also, a random gameplay segment isn't very significative about difficulty in a game like this: I thought the character could take too many blows before kicking the bucket, but that doesn't mean anything: he could be overleveled... or not. Plus that awful E3 trailer.
Adding that my opinion about Namco Bandai, who basically forced Miyazaki out of the team to give the series to those two nobodies only to renew a franchise that needs very little renewing, has been all over the place since the fusion. It's a money maker who treats like shit its franchises.

I really hope I'm wrong obviously. I loved both games, probably Demon's more than Dark for the surprise, mistery and unfinished-work factors though, which I regard very highly. I hope those won't get completely lost.

Grief.exe

I'm basing my opinion mainly on what the new lead developers (the "new" part being another clue) said about their ideas for the series (aiming for the skyrim audience, making everything more accessible and understandable). Then I watched a gameplay segment a few weeks ago, probably from IGN but I'm not sure. The gameplay felt very much the same but the enemy design and the locations didn't, and not in a good way. Also, a random gameplay segment isn't very significative about difficulty in a game like this: I thought the character could take too many blows before kicking the bucket, but that doesn't mean anything: he could be overleveled... or not. Plus that awful E3 trailer.
Adding that my opinion about Namco Bandai, who basically forced Miyazaki out of the team to give the series to those two nobodies only to renew a franchise that needs very little renewing, has been all over the place since the fusion. It's a money maker who treats like shit its franchises.

I really hope I'm wrong obviously. I loved both games, probably Demon's more than Dark for the surprise, mistery and unfinished-work factors though, which I regard very highly. I hope those won't get completely lost.

Are you referring to the edge article that was originally released?

They came out and clarified those statements later on, they were not referring to the gameplay or difficulty in any way when they made those statements.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

I honestly don't know how you can watch this: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/10/dark-souls-2-gameplay-reveal-12-minute-demo and be worried.

Tomodachi

Are you referring to the edge article that was originally released?

They came out and clarified those statements later on, they were not referring to the gameplay or difficulty in any way when they made those statements.

Indeed, I think the gameplay and difficulty will remain basically the same, they just need to leave everything as it is. But the best aspects of the two games for me are the aura of mystery around the mechanics, the secrets, the confusing locations with a total lack of a map and markers. That's what they were referring to and I don't want to see them gone. Also, I don't think just anyone is able to convey those feelings and I'm not easy on trust I guess. Those require actual creative effort, as opposed to leaving the gameplay exactly as it is or tweaking it a little.

Visually, I found both trailers and the gameplay section unappealing but that's something really subjective and I don't want to jump to conclusions, what matters is how the game world as a whole will be crafted I guess.

Dark Souls is not unique because of its difficulty imho (btw it's not even difficulty in the common sense, it's more like it takes patience, another aspect kinda hard to get right: unforgiving but always fair). It's unique, at least for me, for all those aspects. So yeah, reading my original post I might have worded that a little too widely, "nothing like the prequel" maybe isn't fair, but this was was I meant. I really hope they will be able to deliver in any case.

ShaneB

All I want is for Dark Souls 2 to be not so obtuse, I've said that many times. The Souls OT's aren't so huge because the games are awesome, they're huge because half the posts are "what does this do?!" "Can I fight this boss now!?" "What happens if I go here?!" "What what what?!". If I can play Dark Souls 2 and feel like I know what's going on without having to resort to asking a question every 10 minutes, that's a good thing.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tradingcards/discussions/1/864969953748314145/#p1

JohnC -Valve- said:
Upcoming changes to the Trading Cards Beta

Thank you for all the feedback during this beta. We've been spending a lot of time helping game developers get their Trading Cards built and released, and will continue
to release new sets of cards twice a week for the foreseeable future. Participating is up to the developers, so if there’s a game you’d like to see trading cards for, you
should let them know.

We've also had time to work on some new features for the beta that we hope to release in the next week or so, based on feedback we've received:

Trade Offers: send an offer to another user of items to trade, even if they're offline, that will let them accept, decline, or make a counter-offer. You'll only be able to send trade offers to friends to start with, but if people like it we'll look into expanding it. This will also let you send an item as a gift to a friend.

Booster Packs: these will drop randomly for users who have received all their card drops from playing any given game, and who are continuing to participate in the community. Each booster pack will contain three cards for that game, and may potentially contain foils. The rate of drops will be based on how often cards are being used, to prevent too many flooding into the economy.

Game Collector Badge: A badge that grants XP based on how many games you own on Steam, to ensure that long-time users are rewarded.

Trading Card Binder: A way of showing off all the cards you've collected, including those you've crafted into a badge.

Game Collector Badge: A badge that grants XP based on how many games you own on Steam, to ensure that long-time users are rewarded.

JaseC and Xel just got all of the xp!

Booster Packs: these will drop randomly for users who have received all their card drops from playing any given game, and who are continuing to participate in the community. Each booster pack will contain three cards for that game, and may potentially contain foils. The rate of drops will be based on how often cards are being used, to prevent too many flooding into the economy.

This is a good move, encourages continuing to play games for the badges you want. The drop rate will be a lot lower than normal drops, but thats fine. I was kinda worried that over time the supply of cards would start to dry up for popular games thus pushing up the prices (considering under the current model if people do start crafting badges, you'll have a constant drain of cards from the market, but a very limited of supply of them, with the exception of people making second and third accounts and buying the games again).

Caerith

Booster packs, yay.

That Groupees Meridian build-a-bundle looks pretty interesting. I already own Syberia, is Still Life any good? And, what else on that page is worth playing?

Edit:
  • Syberia
  • Syberia II
  • Still Life
  • Still Life 2
  • Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
  • Stellar Impact
  • Chains
  • Wasteland Angel
  • Trapped Dead
  • Post Apocalyptic Mayhem + DLC
  • Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals
  • Chrome + Specforce
  • Pacific Storm Allies
All Steam-redeemable.

oipic

Booster packs, eh? Prepare to see folks idling 24/7, I guess.

I know it's still open to exploitation (for want of a better term), but I think I'm in the camp that would prefer to see drops somehow linked to achievements.

Caerith

Booster packs, eh? Prepare to see folks idling 24/7, I guess.

I know it's still open to exploitation (for want of a better term), but I think I'm in the camp that would prefer to see drops somehow linked to achievements.
I agree with you in principle, but people cheat for achievements when there's an incentive to. Even when there isn't an incentive to, you still see people asking for save files on the forums.

think we can use trading card money to buy more GAF servers?

edit : my first foil drop :DDD. market for 8.93 :((((
Congrats on your foil. I hope they use the money to buy new servers for Steam Community.

Booster packs, yay.

That Groupees Meridian build-a-bundle looks pretty interesting. I already own Syberia, is Still Life any good? And, what else on that page is worth playing?

I've only played maybe an hour of Still life 1, but it seemed like a pretty competent crime adventure from what I played (Spoiler of first scene:
First scene has you walking around a murder scene finding evidence with a black light and other forensic tools
), but having just come off playing cognition I decided to take a break before playing that series. All the others are unknowns to me sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom