• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Titanfall is running on Source Engine actually, I think it might be part of the license agreement that it has to show up on Steam. Maybe not though.

That doesn't sound characteristic Valve.

Titanfall is, most likely, an EAP game. EA doesn't force EA Partners to use Origin.

sibarraz

Banned
LOOOOOOOOOOOL I had the biggest owned in history

I was playing Binding of Isaac with Judas, which seems to be the hardest character to use in the game since he only starts with one heart

Anyway, I was playing with my notebook at 12% of the battery life, so in some point, the message than tells you that you only had 10% remaining of battery appeared, so in the process I lost 2 heart containers.

It was bad but not a big deal, since somehow I managed to fight mom's heart with like 6 hearts containers, and my main item was the hourglass, so I could stop time and do a lot of damage since my attack had full stats on almost everything

After a hard fight, I defeated mom's heart with only half of a heart remaining. I was happy since I know than that fight is hard, so I decided to pick a heart container just for the sake of it instead of opening the chest that shows you the ending, and I was killed by a remaining bit of blood in the floor.

I still got the achievements and the count for the 9 endings, but still, it was so funny and pathetic at the same time

Grief.exe

EAP is dead. The rule book is gone.

EA has said that, despite recent reports, its EA Partners publishing label isn't closing down.

"I understand why you might believe that," said EA Labels president Frank Gibeau in an interview with Polygon about whether the Partners program had been closed. "I don't think the communication of that has been particularly well executed on our part."

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-partners-is-open-for-business-says-exec-6409521

It's an EAP game (probably the last one in fact).

Source?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It'd be interesting to see how they handle the game if they put it on Origin, too. Even Kingdom of Alamar was published by EA on Origin.

Like, is Respawn going to be fronting the cost for dedicated servers?

Grief.exe

It'd be interesting to see how they handle the game if they put it on Origin, too. Even Kingdom of Alamar was published by EA on Origin.

Like, is Respawn going to be fronting the cost for dedicated servers?

EA doesn't even have official servers for BF3.

That might be down to the community to provide.

Grief.exe

That reads like it's on life support.

From the same article

Insomniac's Fuse was also recently released with EA Partners, and Respawn Entertainment's Titanfall will be published under the label.

Fuse was released very recently and Titanfall is coming out Spring 2014.

EA is focusing on internal development and cutting down the EAP program.

It's an EAP game (probably the last one in fact).

Don't bother with the source, I need to read my own a little more carefully :)

jediyoshi

Let's also not forget, the respawn forums do straight up have an entry for Steam ID (
and not origin
)

nBVARby.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Damn. I wish E3 would have had more multiplats getting announce for PC... Mainly MGSV and FFXV. Only thing I can only hope for now is for Titanfall to somehow get on Steam. Am I being stupid about refusing to use Origin?

I think MGSV seems like it will hit PCs, though I'm not sure it will launch the same time as the other versions.

Grief.exe

I think MGSV seems like it will hit PCs, though I'm not sure it will launch the same time as the other versions.

MGSV
The Division
Destiny

My most hyped unannounced PC games. I have a feeling all of them will make their way to PCs though.

And we can all keep our fingers crossed that Titanfall comes to Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So now that Pac-Mac CE DX is coming to Steam, can Microsoft do the same with ilomilo already?

cicero

That makes sense, but I'm still worried about where this trend is going to take us.

With Microsoft and Sony offering Day 1 discounts on games through Live and PS+, I'm worried we're going to see a day when 1-man indie titles are releasing for the same price as AAA titles from major development studios.

I feel that's wrong.

Why? It is their right to charge whatever they want for their own work. They have no obligation towards you to meet some personal demand or desire for a neverending $5-$10 price point parity for all indie titles. I think Stumpokapow hit the nail on the head with his explanation and I see no problem with it whatsoever. I am one of the ones who will be willing to wait the longest to see the indie games hit the 75% off or bundle price points before buying. I already have a huge digital game library, I feel no frantic need to buy things at launch for the most part, I have trigger discipline when it comes to game buying. But if you are one of those people who just has to be on the bleeding edge of all the new indie game releases, I'm sure that must be a problem for you.

MGSV
The Division
Destiny

My most hyped unannounced PC games. I have a feeling all of them will make their way to PCs though.

And we can all keep our fingers crossed that Titanfall comes to Steam.

I asked Kojima on twitter if theres going to be a PC version, he didn't respond to it yet, maybe I should continuously ask him until he gives a answer...

Knurek

It seems I'll need something light to play whenever I manage to wrap up Max Payne 3.

Can anyone recommend the best LEGO game to play? Seems they should hit the spot just fine.

I have both Batmans, Harry Potters and LOTR, haven't played any of them yet, not counting 1 hour with LEGO Star Wars 2 on PS2.

Cynar

Am I the only one getting disturbed by the rapid escalation in prices for indie games?

Dwarf Fortress is free.
I remember when Minecraft's early access was $5 and the full release was $15.
Games like Terraria, Gnomoria and Towns were under $10, often with a sale.
Dungeons of Dreadmore was $5, while Dungeon Defenders and Don't Starve were $15.

Recently I've seen a sudden escalation.

Folk Tale early access is $20, and the final product will be between $30 and $40.
Prison Architect early access is $30, and the final product will probably be $40.
War for the Overworld early access is $22, again with the final product being between $30 and $40.

Some of these games don't even look promising. War for the Overworld is an almost direct rip of Dungeon Keeper and it's got huge issues. Folk Tale has no real vision and the developers are bouncing all over the place.

Is this a sign of things to come? At this rate, if Microsoft and Sony carry through with their commitment to offer frequent sales in their premium services, we're going to see a day when 1-2 man indie titles are out-pricing AAA titles.

I've noticed this as well, just don't buy them unless you see a 75% off sale. Some of these indy games have ridiculous prices for what you're getting but there are still some nice quality games.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Two Rock Cruisers and one Zoltan Cruiser.
Very curious what will be the fourth drop. Foil please. ^_^

And i'm totally hooked again, FTL is awesome.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It seems I'll need something light to play whenever I manage to wrap up Max Payne 3.

Can anyone recommend the best LEGO game to play? Seems they should hit the spot just fine.

I have both Batmans, Harry Potters and LOTR, haven't played any of them yet, not counting 1 hour with LEGO Star Wars 2 on PS2.

There's a lot more to do in LOTR but Batman 2 is more fun while it lasts, I feel. Depends on how much of a fan you are of the material for either. I love the Star Wars ones but as they're older they're a bit more basic. You can't fault a game with little LEGO Stormtroopers though!

The prices have escalated in part due to the higher production values, but also as a form of price stratification. Imagine you have two lemons, and two people want to buy lemons. One guy wants to buy it for $5, the other for $20. If you sell at $10, you get one lemon sold for $10. If you sell at $20, and then later sell at $5, you sell both lemons and get $25. Now imagine you have an infinite amount of lemons, and real buyers vary from people who will pay the cost of lemons + $0.01 to people who will pay $60. The most logical thing to do is to start high and slowly ramp your price down, so that each time the price drops a little more, you peel off the people waiting for that price tier. So why not sell lemons in a dutch auction? Well, everyone who buys your lemon tells their friends, who also buy lemons, so you want a lot of buyers, not just maximizing revenue. Second, people won't wait their whole life for your lemon (for one thing, there are people selling limes next door so...), and you need to get on with getting something else to sell anyway, so to some extent you don't want to spend too much time micro-managing your lemon store. Okay, so why not maybe just adjust your price at random?

Okay now back to indie games. Don't Starve launched at $15, which was itself an escalation from the earlier prices you mentioned. But it's been out 6 weeks and it's already been on sale for $12. This Steam summer sale, I'd guess it'll be $10 at most. By the Christmas sale, probably $5 at most. And it'll end up in the Humble Indie Bundle, which will effectively give you a $1 per-game price, sometime in the next 12 months. All of these games will be cheap, just not at launch. I think that's OK. Besides, I find the initial community buzz helps to determine if it's something I should care about at all. I had a vague interest in Dungeons before it came out, LOL

And one more note. When you're in alpha development, you:
a) Want enough revenue to survive until the game is released
b) Want enough testers to identify problems and provide helpful feedback
BUT
c) You don't want just anyone to wander in and play an unfinished product, because first of all they will nag you for support and you don't have the capacity to support your game at this stage... and second of all, they'll get a negative impression. You want a curated, hand-picked, elite squad of people who understand what an alpha really means.

It stands to reason that those willing to pay the highest prices are people very very sold on your idea, so "overpricing" might not be a revenue maximizer during alpha development, but as long as it satisfies a and b, you don't want to do "too well" so you ruin c.

I actually had the exact same conversation at E3 the other day. Almost word for word.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Shorter version: People who don't wait for sale don't wait. May as well charge what would be good for you. It's not like the waiters are going to buy it at $10, so why not go for $20 with the immediate buyers? Waiters also more often watch for a certain percentage off more than a target price, so you'll also get more from them when they finally crack. $1 bundles are just promotion for you as a brand to get people looking at your next game, or if you are really new/small, to build a fanbase so their friends will drop a fiver.

Oh, and to that person flipping their shit over people buying a $25 foil?

Some foils go for $40.

For the price of a full game.

A meaningless set of data.

What do you think is gonna happen when people fucking put their badges in BINDERS?

JaseC

I'd be very surprised if it's not an Origin game.

It's an EA Partners game and as a result may very well appear on Steam:

Steam is still a distinct possibility. Thus far the only EAP game that hasn't come to Steam is Syndicate*, which makes sense when you consider that EA owns the IP.

* There's also Crysis 3, but given how long Crysis 2 took to reappear, it's a little too early to call. I suspect it'll show up as yet another Maximum Edition soon after Crytek is done pumping out DLC.

Edit: Oh, and Hellgate: London, but that's a messy situation as the game was co-published by EA, Scamco and Hanbit, plus Flagship Studios shut up shop in 2008 and the IP was subsequently abandoned.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh, and to that person flipping their shit over people buying a $25 foil?

Some foils go for $40.

For the price of a full game.

A meaningless set of data.

What do you think is gonna happen when people fucking put their badges in BINDERS?
I already have 14 gabens without a single foil. I wonder how many I'll have ready to fly in time for the summer sale. If people want to pay me in the process of boosting their fanatic pride in brand loyalty, I am okay with that.

JaseC

I already have 14 gabens without a single foil. I wonder how many I'll have ready to fly in time for the summer sale. If people want to pay me in the process of boosting their fanatic pride in brand loyalty, I am okay with that.

After almost two weeks of bum luck, I finally got my second foil today. Looking at sales history I noticed one sold at $45 earlier today, so I put it up at $46 (which would net me $40), and while there is another listed at $25, it's literally the only other one. Let's see how lucky I get.

After almost two weeks of bum luck, I finally got my second foil today. Looking at sales history I noticed one sold at $45 earlier today, so I put it up at $46 (which would net me $40), and while there is another listed at $25, it's literally the only other one. Let's see how lucky I get.

I fuckin' hate you all.

not really don't ban me
again

I know what I'm buying this summer sale.

By that time, they'll all be worth ten cents.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Yesterday I played FTL again. This one still applies
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg
That about sums up FTL, yeah. :p
Everytime The Serenity explodes, I cry a little.

Also, once again, no foils. And a duplicate. That's a first.

I have a feeling that most of the triple A games aren't going to get card support, just indie games, that sucks.

Dont see why this is a problem. If you really like an indie-game, you can have some profile-background and a smilie.

It is just a stupid-metagame though, where we can still earn money till it goes public. Then the card-prices will inevitably drop to the 5-10cent pricepoint, I guess.

Dont see why this is a problem. If you really like an indie-game, you can have some profile-background and a smilie.

It is just a stupid-metagame though, where we can still earn money till it goes public. Then the card-prices will inevitably drop to the 5-10cent pricepoint, I guess.

They should add cards to EVERY game on steam, I want a Profile background for Sonic or Deus Ex:HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom