• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are there any steam registry divers here? any news about metal gear rising, or any hints of mgs 5 coming yet?

Curious about this. With all the E3 crashing GAF we lost track on the registry changes and I bet those ninjas sneaked some stuff while everyone was busy with the event!

Grief.exe

so are there any steam registry divers here? any news about metal gear rising, or any hints of mgs 5 coming yet?

I've been keeping my eye on the registry.

I haven't seen anything from Konami, they may have learned their lesson after Lords of Shadow.

The problem is, Valve has really locked up the system. The only way to find something now is if the developers slip up. Like with The Walking Dead 400 Days DLC.

sibarraz

Banned
Rome: Total War for 1 dollar/euro is a fantastic deal. So many good gameplay hours for 1 buck.

I almost felt a bit ashamed buying it that cheap..

I felt ashamed for the 22 dollars that got me the whole series (plus viking, but men, the pc port of that game is REALLY bad)

still, I bought the game for a dollar so I could gift it to a friend

They don't? I could swear Football Manager unlocked some when I my internet went down a few months ago.

I recall that I played the binding of isaac without internet the whole summer, and no achievements poped out

One month later, I played the game with internet for a second and PAF all the achievements appeared at the same time

Well crafting badges is only worth it for the XP at this point. Are there any backgrounds or emoticons that are actually worth more than a quarter?

I sold my lina background for 9 dollars (I received 7)

Now the price is at 6 dollars, I will wait a bit more to buy it cheaper since I loved the BG, but I knew that I could win money doing this

Chronoja

Well crafting badges is only worth it for the XP at this point. Are there any backgrounds or emoticons that are actually worth more than a quarter?

Don't you think it's interesting that valve has basically given us a direct way to measure the amount of $ per xp. Let's say it takes you $3 to craft a tf2 badge. $0.25 is the market value of a background and lets say its the same for an emoticon. Coupons are practically worthless. so that leaves $2.50 for the 100xp you get.

Obviously these numbers aren't exact, just examples, but i find it interesting that the most abstract part of the whole "game" effectively has to most monetary value, probably due to the fact that it cannot be traded.

Tomodachi

Hm, buy FTL now for 4,99 or wait for a cheaper price which probably will push the prices of the cards even further down (though it seems everyone but me owns the game already)? Buying games has become so complicated..

I made up a rule when trading cards came out: never, ever buy a game only because it has cards.
Then again if said game is eventually in a bundle with another game I care about that can be a plus for buying the bundle of course.

I made up a rule when trading cards came out: never, ever buy a game only because it has cards.
Then again if said game is eventually in a bundle with another game I care about that can be a plus for buying the bundle of course.

this is smart. If you are buying a game hoping to recoup the money with card sales...you are making a terrible mistake.

I had the same rule, but broke it with Cubemen 2. $1.99 for the game and made $2.50 exactly selling the cards. It would have been rude not to.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
oh absolutely not. But if you bought FTL for $5 because it had cards yesterday and expected to sell those cards for $5+...i don't think it would've worked out too well.

I don't know...

k0vPCiD.png

Sure, it's not 5 dollars. But it's 1.81 dollars (0.35 euros is 0.46 USD). (sorry Baha, I didn't get your request for the Kestrel in time.. :( )

That's almost a 37% discount, if you do crazy math.

And I don't even research this at all: I just put the card I drop the moment I drop for 2-5 cents less than the cheapest one (because I just want to trade them in for money as quickly as possible). If you did proper research, and waited for optimal timing, you'd get more for them.

RS4-

Yeah, I'm guilty of buying a game and hoping to recoup the cost via cards. Did that with Monster, and Cubemen 2. I think I paid the full 9.99 for Monster and made a dollar (!), while with C2, I almost broke even.

This isn't something I'm going to do often, but making the discounts even bigger with cards isn't bad.

Just as long as it is a game I actually want. The above two, not so much lol.

ShaneB

I'm trying my best to avoid of this card nonsense outside of selling the ones I do get. It's making my OCD tendencies hurt.

tjohn86

Anyone else think the bottom will fall out of the market once the trading cards go live for everyone? I imagine it will be a race to the bottom.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't know, which is the ratio of steam users vs TCB users?

At least almost all of my friends has it, and those who don't, only use to play the games without interacting on steam

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Anyone else think the bottom will fall out of the market once the trading cards go live for everyone? I imagine it will be a race to the bottom.

It already is: You can see the price drop happening on cards the moment the new games go up. The price difference between days is crazy.

Once this goes wide, the prices will just drop even faster. You can see it on the TF2 Crate Market every time a new crate is introduced. The Robo Crates were being sold for 10 cents not long ago, now they're all 4 cents.

I haven't played that series since MGS 2, I feel so out of touch with that storyline I wouldn't even understand whats going on (Assuming Kojima is still as crazy with the storyline as he was in MGS2), might just need to read a series summary to get up to speed. Really don't feel like playing through a bunch of those games just for the long winded dialogue sequences. I guess at this point its probably almost as convoluted as trying to understand the Resident Evil storyline :p.

Grief.exe

I haven't played that series since MGS 2, I feel so out of touch with that storyline I wouldn't even understand whats going on (Assuming Kojima is still as crazy with the storyline as he was in MGS2), might just need to read a series summary to get up to speed. Really don't feel like playing through a bunch of those games just for the long winded dialogue sequences. I guess at this point its probably almost as convoluted as trying to understand the Resident Evil storyline :p.

The protagonist of MGS3/V is Solid Snake's (MGS1/2) father, essentially.

Would be nice if they would port over the HD collection as well, so people can get caught up.

Grief.exe

Who is the protagonist of 4 then? The annoying girly-looking guy from 2 who made me hate that game after the first chapter?

The only 2 games I haven't played are MGS4 and Peace Walker.

the protagonist of 4 was Solid Snake as well, but his cells are degrading from *plot element removed*

I am going to try to find Peace Walker, or the HD collection, on Craigslist and play through that, apparently it has a lot to do with the plot of MGS3/V. I picked up MGS4 from Craigslist, along with Demon Souls, Uncharted 2, and God of War, but I don't have a PS3 yet.

Two interesting things.

The ending of MGSV should bring us up in the timeline to the beginning of the original games, MG1 and MG2.

MGS2 was a complete mind fuck designed by Kojima as a 'post-modern deconstruction of the deceitful qualities present in its medium.'
As you described, the whole second part of the game was designed to make you hate it and question your place in the game. Slogging through the tutorials again, the constant codec calls, backtracking without radar, this pussy Raiden guy (who was actually an allegory of the player).

The only 2 games I haven't played are MGS4 and Peace Walker.

the protagonist of 4 was Solid Snake as well, but his cells are degrading from *plot element removed*

I am going to try to find Peace Walker, or the HD collection, on Craigslist and play through that, apparently it has a lot to do with the plot of MGS3/V. I picked up MGS4 from Craigslist, along with Demon Souls, Uncharted 2, and God of War, but I don't have a PS3 yet.

Two interesting things.

The ending of MGSV should bring us up in the timeline to the beginning of the original games, MG1 and MG2.

MGS2 was a complete mind fuck designed by Kojima as a 'post-modern deconstruction of the deceitful qualities present in its medium.'
As you described, the whole second part of the game was designed to make you hate it and question your place in the game. Slogging through the tutorials again, the constant codec calls, backtracking without radar, this pussy Raiden guy (who was actually an allegory of the player).

When in doubt, the answer is 'nanomachines'. The timeline for MGS is a complete cluster fuck. Highly recommend 4, if you can stand to sit through a shitton of cut scenes.

Tizoc

When in doubt, the answer is 'nanomachines'. The timeline for MGS is a complete cluster fuck. Highly recommend 4, if you can stand to sit through a shitton of cut scenes.

From what I've gathered, Kojima actually wanted MGS2 to be his final MGS game, but they kept bringing him back.

I guess in 4 he needed to tie up all loose ends and went with nano machines.
THough that begs the question:
Was Vamp injected with nanos that can heal him, and you injected the virus to counter it into him,
OR
is he really a regenerating vampire and the nanomachines were the one thing that could kill him?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Raiden was one cool cat. Stop the hate!

I really liked the ending, until the final cutscene (which was meh). The complete breakdown of the game and its mechanics made it memorable to me, probably the only ps2/xbox era game I remember in as much detail. I guess its one of those things that can only work once, like the premise of Fight Club, once you know the twist you can see it coming from a mile away in other movies. But at the time MGS 2 blew my mind especially the fake game over screen. No other game that I can recall has broken the 4th wall so well, and these days its become kind of an annoying gimmick in both games and movies.

Momentary

Banned
My wife has been nagging me to let her play games with me. She's never really played games all that much, so I need a suggestion for a simple game with local coop/versus so she can start off with something easy.

cicero

I have a feeling that most of the triple A games aren't going to get card support, just indie games, that sucks.
They should add cards to EVERY game on steam, I want a Profile background for Sonic or Deus Ex:HR.
It is up to them to get interested in this type of promotion and ask Valve. Smaller devs are obviously going to go out of their way to try to increase sales.

Ah, still no foil friend? Same here, 28 drops now and no foil to be seen.
39 dops here. No foils.

Caerith

My wife has been nagging me to let her play games with me. She's never really played games all that much, so I need a suggestion for a simple game with local coop/versus so she can start off with something easy.
Honestly? LittleBig Planet. If you mean Steam-only, then yeah the Lego games.

Caerith

I would never make a significant other suffer through those platforming mechanics. My girlfriend has played enough NSMB to know better.
Well, they must have fixed that in LBP 2, because it's not at all frustrating and neither I nor my girlfriend had to struggle with the controls. I'd only recommend co-op NSMB if a) you wanted to break up with her and b) the relatively gentle mercies of Dokapon weren't an option.

Momentary

Banned
When she picks up a controller, I have to look
The other way because I feel so embarrassed for her. I'm thinking of starting out with a point and click story game maybe. We can enjoy a story together while she gets down button placement.

Well, they must have fixed that in LBP 2, because it's not at all frustrating and neither I nor my girlfriend had to struggle with the controls. I'd only recommend co-op NSMB if a) you wanted to break up with her and b) the relatively gentle mercies of Dokapon weren't an option.

If LBP2 was "fixed" I must be remembering LBP way better than it was.

cicero

When she picks up a controller, I have to look
The other way because I feel so embarrassed for her. I'm thinking of starting out with a point and click story game maybe. We can enjoy a story together while she gets down button placement.
THIS is the gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom