• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

fo3 definitely qualifies as a "playing to see how shitty the writing can get" game.

the writing is nowhere near as bad tho

and even then the process of playing the game to see how bad the writing gets is still fun

like you could separate the fun mechanics from the story there because a) the mechanics were fun and b) they didnt hit you with story bits every 2 minutes right in your face

tomb raider's mechanics are average at best so they arent enough to carry the shitty story, and the whole revolves around that story, they're hitting you with the story stick every 2 minutes and doing it super serious, completely humorless and as if that story was any good at all

the game thinks it's great

Salsa

You LIKED the first hour? That was the worst part of the game, lol. Sluggish tutorial as Lara constantly gets her ass kicked in increasingly implausible ways, QTEs everywhere, keep pressing forward

I meant like right after that. The beggining itself was even worse than the rest of the game, but it took something like 20 minutes I think

let's say like right after you start hunting and that. Game seemed somewhat promising at that point

zkylon

zkylewd

and even then the process of playing the game to see how bad the writing gets is still fun

like you could separate the fun mechanics from the story there because a) the mechanics were fun and b) they didnt hit you with story bits every 2 minutes right in your face

tomb raider's mechanics are average at best so they arent enough to carry the shitty story, and the whole revolves around that story, they're hitting you with the story stick every 2 minutes and doing it super serious, completely humorless and as if that story was any good at all

ok so definitely like fo3 :p

You LIKED the first hour? That was the worst part of the game, lol. Sluggish tutorial as Lara constantly gets her ass kicked in increasingly implausible ways, QTEs everywhere, keep pressing forward

Errr.. as I recall Lara was already the friggin Terminator the moment she got the bow and arrow lol. You were already effortlessly fucking up countless amounts of wolves, deer and other forms of wildlife in the first hour itself. All that talk about 'you'll want to protect her' and she was already capable of doing it herself at the very beginning. What a load of crap that tagline turned out to be, she was supposed to be sorta unsure of herself in the beginning and not yet the harderned veteran we see as we see her in the previous games.

dreamfall

I meant like right after that. The beggining itself was even worse than the rest of the game, but it took something like 20 minutes I think

let's say like right after you start hunting and that. Game seemed somewhat promising at that point

That the intro to the forest bit yeah? The environment opens up, the game instructs you to kill deer for food, and then starts to progressively get worse. If they allowed for more of that exploration without throwing wave after wave of faceless enemies at you, it could've been somewhat balanced. I also think as you progress, the areas start to become more and more uninspired.

Felt like a nice distraction, I guess. I wasn't bitter (in spite of loving older TR titles), but it surely felt lacking.

lmpaler

I thought the writing was good until I played New Vegas. Obsidian may not make blockbuster, polished games, but damn if the writing team is not amazing!

That's like saying that a show is terrible because of the writing, and then sitting down and watching an entire season of it.
That's not strange occurance. If i buy and install a game i'll first of course give it a fair chance but chances are i'll finish it anyways. Like the man is saying a game like Uncharted or Gears of War are filled to the top with a feature set that appeals to the lowest common denominator and all the latest popular trends, yet even despite that they are quite competent games. This Tomb Rider, for some reason i'm yet to figure out, i just don't have much tolerance for it's BS.

Salsa

I never got into the expanision stuff, which I hear is really good. That and some of the mods I installed add like triple the amount of content to the game.

me neither

I think I played one DLC, and I own them all

it was a Skyrim-like situation of just something else coming out and switching to that and not coming back

difference being that New Vegas is way better than Skyrim and that I actually finished NV

Derrick01

Banned
I never got into the expanision stuff, which I hear is really good. That and some of the mods I installed add like triple the amount of content to the game.

It continues the courier's story that's touched on in places in the main game, but it's completely dedicated to that in all of the DLCs. As for content it's mostly the same with some weapons that are too powerful, and Dead Money (the first one) is kind of a chore to play through after a while but it's mostly entertaining. Old World Blues is some of the best DLC of the generation imo.

DarkFlow

Banned
So does the "Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)" includes the expansion too or I need to keep those installed?

It's all there under DLC, so you can uninstall all the other ones.

BnGRoY2.jpg

Does kinda make a mess of the library now, wonder if they will just remove all the other ones at some point.

Megasoum

Banned
It's all there under DLC, so you can uninstall all the other ones.

Does kinda make a mess of the library now, wonder if they will just remove all the other ones at some point.

Oh right, forgot to check for the dlc tab.

Yeah it's a mess and it doesn't even have a grid icon right now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't you order them before? What happened?

I earlier imported only 2010 and 2009; 2011 and 2012 had to wait (and then I forgot all about them :p). I registered 2010 just fine, but 2009 didn't come with a key (a manufacturing error rather than malice on the part of the seller, I suspect, hence attempt number two -- but from a different seller this time).

DarkFlow

Banned
The new Steam version of CoH is great. Loads SOOOOO much faster now and none of that login or cd check bullshit like before. They also got rid of THQ and added Sega to the start, so long sweet prince.

Smash88

Banned
You played all 12 hours of it, even though you hated it?

Alright. I'm late to this shit show, but I need to chime up about the idiotic stance taken above.

Everyone has an opinion what they play, whether you disagree with them or not. That doesn't mean you go around attacking people for their stances (in the way you guys have).

One last extremely important point: The argument used is fucking obnoxious as shit. If he didn't play enough, you would complain, and if he plays too much, you complain. You set him up in a lose-lose position.

Get a better argument than that shit, because you're embarrassing yourself.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. I'm late to this shit show, but I need to chime up about the idiotic stances taken above.

Everyone has an opinion what they play, whether you disagree with them or not. That doesn't mean you go around attacking people for their stances (in the way you guys have).

One last extremely important point: The arguments you are both using is fucking obnoxious as shit. If he didn't play enough, you would complain, and if he plays too much, you complain. You set him up in a lose-lose position.

Get some better arguments than that shit, because you're embarrassing yourselves.
What about "don't play bad games at all"?

Smash88

Banned
What about "don't play bad games at all"?

What about, if you want to form an opinion you can't base it on nothing? You need to play it to figure out every detail, so that you may voice your opinion...

That's like telling a game journalist, "why bother playing it and giving it a score, we all know it's bad anyways". For every time I heard that, and a great game came out of it, I'd be rich.

Not the best analogy, but it makes the point.

Sober

The game is just fine vanilla. Maybe a nude mod or two. And a hentai companion.
Vanilla is fine, then after that a run through with Sawyer's hardcore mode (I have yet to try that myself).

You might want to get some radio mods that add more songs unless you want to listen to the same songs over and over and over and over and over again. But that's about it.

JaseC

Don't watch bad films.

Sometimes, though, bad films are so bad they're good. Can the same be said for bad games? Is there a game out there that is well and truly awful, but is nonetheless worth playing for the novelty its awfulness offers?

FYC

Banned
I wish more people played Bloody Good Time. Only got 2 hours out of it because it was nothing but bots. Seemed like a neat game.

Speaking of playerbase, is Nuclear Dawn active? Got it from an indie bundle, looks pretty neat.

Smash88

Banned
I wish more people played Bloody Good Time. Only got 2 hours out of it because it was nothing but bots. Seemed like a neat game.

Speaking of playerbase, is Nuclear Dawn active? Got it from an indie bundle, looks pretty neat.

It was a pretty decent game when it had people playing. I enjoyed it for what it was, but the player base quickly plummeted like so many other great games. I'm looking at you Shattered Horizon.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Sometimes, though, bad films are so bad they're good. Can the same be said for bad games? Is there a game out there that is well and truly awful, but is nonetheless worth playing for the novelty its awfulness offers?

Definitely, bad entertainment can still manage to unintentionally entertain regardless of whether the medium is film, music or games. My point was, though, that it's impossible to avoid bad entertainment experiences because of the subjective nature and the consumption generally coming before the personal opinion. Re: Salsa, why you playin' a bad game man!?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Alright. I'm late to this shit show, but I need to chime up about the idiotic stance taken above.

One last extremely important point: The argument used is fucking obnoxious as shit. If he didn't play enough, you would complain, and if he plays too much, you complain. You set him up in a lose-lose position.

Get a better argument than that shit, because you're embarrassing yourself.
I wouldn't complain if he stopped playing after 5 minutes because he thought the game sucked. I do that all the time. I don't feel obligated to endure an agonizing experience just because I paid money for a game. I don't understand why anyone would.

JaseC

You can drive through buildings!? Truly next-gen.

Definitely, bad entertainment can still manage to unintentionally entertain regardless of whether the medium is film, music or games. My point was, though, that it's impossible to avoid bad entertainment experiences because of the subjective nature and the consumption generally coming before the personal opinion.

Oh, I understand that, I just thought it was an interesting question to raise considering the interactive nature of games and their reliance upon active participation rather than passive consumption.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Oh, I understand that, I just thought it was an interesting question to raise considering the interactive nature of games and their reliance upon active participation rather than passive consumption.

Hmm, I'll have to think about examples. I know I've continued fiddling with games before because of funny glitches and bugs or hilariously bad VA, but I can't name them off the top of my head. (Never said they were memorable. =p)

I wouldn't complain if he stopped playing after 5 minutes because he thought the game sucked. I do that all the time. I don't feel obligated to endure an agonizing experience just because I paid money for a game. I don't understand why anyone would.

I didn't enjoy Bioshock Infinite for the first 3-4 hours but after completing it, it became my goty. Many times a game doesn't open up until 2-3 hours in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom