• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Speaking of DLC dumps, I almost bought 50-odd pieces of SFxt DLC before, but at the last minute I decided to check Steamprices and saw that they've been half off in recent sales. You had me for a moment there, Capcom.

Haha, yeah. And the packs don't add the proper numbers to your count for that one, so you have to buy them separately like you were going to. :(

Those percentage played charts are flawed for the simple fact that they list all of the games we played for fifteen minutes once as played. I probably have more sub-one hour played games than unplayed games.

Of course they are, but I was happy with the result before you shook my legitimacy.
GjICgf3.png

Yes, I'm looking for an excuse to post these stats, no idea why.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I had to scratch that new game itch, Dishonored is now installing. I'm certain it'll pop up on sale for half as much tomorrow, but I'm actually going to play it today so no worries. It does look pretty sweet. As someone who plays stealth games as the silent angel of death it should be right up my alley.

xelios

Fucking Capcom. :(

Edit: Well, the packs do... but not the individual pieces of content that the packs contain. It's confusing.

Yes, you can actually buy all the DLC twice because of this, separately just provides more profile count. Confused me as well.

BUT +1 is +1 right? I dunno. This is where we start teetering on insanity in my opinion and might end up like my friend who bought Max Payne 2 in five different regions. =p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, you can actually buy all the DLC twice because of this, separately just provides more profile count. Confused me as well.

BUT +1 is +1 right? I dunno. This is where we start teetering on insanity in my opinion and might end up like my friend who bought Max Payne 2 in five different regions. =p

Haha, I still have my RHCP version of Dishonored. I've said that if Valve ever opens up the Steam Market to Steamworks games I'll trade it in... but chances are that when/if push comes to shove, I'll likely reconsider.

Xinput8. Exclusive to Win8.

I could totally see them doing that, sadly.

I had to scratch that new game itch, Dishonored is now installing. I'm certain it'll pop up on sale for half as much tomorrow, but I'm actually going to play it today so no worries. It does look pretty sweet. As someone who plays stealth games as the silent angel of death it should be right up my alley.

Pacifist Ghost run is where it's at.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yup, Dark Void Zero is gud.

Speaking of 2D games, I really need a 360/PC pad with a good d-pad. I hope the NextBox pad still uses Xinput.
Hopefully Valve will save us from the best of the mediocre gamepads currently usable on a PC.

Salsa

<3

goty

Salsa

Dishonored is a poor stealth game, and I say that as somebody who played and finished it as a stealth game. Do yourself a favour and go nuts with the powers/upgrades.

I played it 3 times very differently and the best way to go at it for me is going crazy on the powers while still trying to avoid detection

like, instead of being super meticulous and slow about it make sure you do some crazy shit fast, but it's still fun to avoid head on combat

xelios

I agree, it's no Thief (even calling it a spiritual successor is WRONG). I didn't get any of those stealth playthrough achievements because I went crazy with the powers, and had lots of fun doing it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When people say the stealth sucks, they generally mean that because it's easy, right? I don't really mind being overpowered if that's the case. Sometimes I prefer a fun little sandbox to something that'll give me a challenge.

Salsa

When people say the stealth sucks, they generally mean that because it's easy, right?

yeah

at least in my case

like, I wouldnt say it sucks as much as i'd say that it's clearly not intended to be the focus of the game, so if you expect it to be deep there you're gonna be disappointed. The idea of the game is giving you a playground to mess around with.

If you're going for more of a stealth assassin play through, as opposed to not killing anyone, shadow kill + improved blink is really fun. If you time it right you can get 3 or more guards in a row without being detected and it feels super satisfying to pull off.

JaseC

I played it 3 times very differently and the best way to go at it for me is going crazy on the powers while still trying to avoid detection

like, instead of being super meticulous and slow about it make sure you do some crazy shit fast, but it's still fun to avoid head on combat

That's cool. My issue with the game played as a strict stealth title is that, unlike Thief, there's no sense of reward for avoiding detection and quietly disposing targets. In Thief, the AI was sophisticated enough that even if an area seemed clear, allowing you to pilfer to your heart's content, you needed to be on your toes, just in case (thanks, moss arrows!) -- you could feel safe, but there was always that modicum of doubt, as you would expect when ransacking. The context of Dishonored's world is fantastic, but, again, unlike Thief, due to the powers available, the constraints are palpable and as a result the world feels less like a genuine attempt at reconstructing a living, breathing place, and more a means to an end -- here's the powers, here's the level; go nuts! I think what makes Thief such a great game even to this day is that every single facet of it is superbly contextualised and nothing feels strange or out of place -- you're a thief in a game about being a thief and, well, nothing more. Dishonored, on the other hands, falters by being a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Edit: Saying all that makes me sad because Thi4f is going to suffer from needsbroadappealitis :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
yeah

at least in my case

like, I wouldnt say it sucks as much as i'd say that it's clearly not intended to be the focus of the game, so if you expect it to be deep there you're gonna be disappointed. The idea of the game is giving you a playground to mess around with.

Cool. One last question before I begin: is gamepad agreed to be the way to go or is there an argument for using KB/M?

JaseC

Cool. One last question before I begin: is gamepad agreed to be the way to go or is there an argument for using KB/M?

The preciseness of the kb&m may come in handy if need to blink yourself to safety in a pinch, but beyond that there's no reason to recommend it.

Megasoum

Banned
Dishonored fit perfectly in my list of games I really wish I'd like lol. I tried multiple times and I just can't get into it. Too bad cause it looks really fun and cool lol.

oipic

I'm nearing the end of a ~20 hour play-through, and haven't once felt compelled to reach for a controller - I've avoided all combat, however, so KB/M may be less suited to those playing differently.

Add me to the list of those that love Dishonored - the setting, and the city in particularly, have won my heart. While I agree with some of the criticisms of the stealth side of things, it serves up some compelling mechanics to mess around with, and I like that it can effectively be played as a stealth platformer rather than an FPS.

MRORANGE

so yeah I turned 24 this week :|

I've got a spare copy of Don't Starve to give away, to enter explain what is the worst game you have on your Steam library and why.

Winner chosen in the morning.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

I've got a spare copy of Don't Starve to give away, to enter explain what is the worst game you have on your Steam library and why.

I don't care about the give away but the worst game in my list has to be space pirates and zombies, what a piece of shit, it is unplayable.

Cheddahz

Banned

Hitman: Absolution. It's like Square Enix asked Michael Bay to direct the game and add his signature "action, dumb dialogue, and explosions!" elements to the game and took out everything that made Hitman: Blood Money

It's a first person game doing its first person thing so unless there's something preventing you from enjoying KB&M controls it's the way to go.

When did I become the old person on the internet? You don't get to feel bad about your age, wait 'til you get over the midpoint hump of your 20s then you'll feel dead inside.

FloatOn

happy bday bro, I know your feels, I turned 25 last week, it's painful, believe me I know.

I turned 30 a couple of weeks ago. I'm still reeling from the existential angst.

But yes, happy birthday mrorange. I already have don't starve but I'm glad you are going to hook someone up with this great game.

Ledsen

There is no doubt in my mind that it's And Yet It Moves. There mere fact that the main character is a rip-off of rarely missed 90's freak Fido Dido should've tipped me off. And as if that wasn't enough, I'm pretty sure no one ever thought ripped paper clippings with 80's gift wrap textures would make a great video game aesthetic. Except the guys who made And Yet It Moves, of course. To top it off, the game has the most disgusting-sounding death sound in the history of man. Instead of clicking the video, imagine a giant slug sucking poo through a straw. Yes, that's what it sounds like when you die in this game. Which you will. A lot. So let's talk about the gameplay. After the initial horror of the papier-maché X Fido Dido graphics and blowjob death sounds wore off, I... oh wait, it never wore off. So instead of subjecting myself to voluntary sensory torture, I simply stopped playing, no doubt conserving my sanity and minimizing the amount of years I will have to hear that sound in my dreams every time I close my eyes.

SCHLLLLUP

And a very happy birthday to you, my friend.

Happy Cake-day !!

Worst game in my library is Super Hexagon. The longest I can play is 21 seconds before I lose! That game always want me to RAGEQUIT the game - steam - the computer - my life !
AAAAARRRRGGGGGG !!!!!

Ok, so Paws & Claws: Pampered Pets:

It's truly an example of why THQ went bankrupt. Trying to put out the least amount of effort and make a profit. This shouldn't even be labeled as a game. There is voice acting that is worse than if you just woke up one day and tried doing a hand puppet show for your He-man figurines. No direction of what to do or how to do it. It's one of if not the ugliest game I've ever had the misfortune of experiencing. If I was a bit more insane I would sue Valve to remove this cancer from my account but being the masochist I am, I'd like it to be a reminder of just how sick of an individual I am. That I would purchase such cancer just so my Steam account would increase by one number.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
This sucks, Company heroes 2 is the most fun I've had playing pc multiplayer in a while, but I'm soo bad

n8

Unconfirmed Member

Happy birthday mister.

I'd edge Borderlands as the worst. I could probably tell myself there is worst out there I've played, but it had the largest price of entry.

Soulless. Dull. Dumb. I don't know how my people could have even recommended it, even considering most of the people that have played it locally here played it on their own. I'd like a good dumb co-op from time to time, but it's time is up to try and set up that. More traditional RPGs are at least better because you can usually keep your attention elsewhere as you grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom