• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

The game truly is amazing. I replayed it recently, and I really enjoyed my time with it.

Edit: Wait, in which region is the first Mafia on Steam?

It was removed (at least in the US). But it used to be on Steam. Think it was even the pre-order bonus for Mafia 2.

sibarraz

Banned
I had two questions

1) Does Windows 8 affect on the performance of videogames? I don't know if my os is for the better or the worse and if I should change tzo windows 7

2) Why I can't create threads? I had to wait some months or admins just forgot?

1-D_FTW

I had two questions

1) Does Windows 8 affect on the performance of videogames? I don't know if my os is for the better or the worse and if I should change tzo windows 7

2) Why I can't create threads? I had to wait some months or admins just forgot?

Lose the junior tag and thread making abilities unlock.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It isn't.
My friend says that his offline mode doesn't work. So I want to see if anyone else still has that issue.

"That issue" is in fact rather broad. First thing's first: I take it he had, prior to using Offline Mode, set Steam to save the log-in information?

Blizzard

Banned
Actually, looking further at the artwork features, it's fairly neat. You can apparently follow artists, favorite things, rate things up or down, share pictures you like to steam community/facebook/twitter/reddit/digg, sort by popular pictures, and search. I don't know how well the search works though.

PaulLFC

Just quoting this re: the Nuuvem deal, since I can't seem to purchase them through the website. Judging by the Reddit thread it seems a lot of people are having the same issue:

Would anyone be willing to buy Omerta and AC Rev and I can Paypal them the money?
Edit: Sorted now, thanks to xelios :)

Grief.exe

I'm getting immersed into Call of Pripyat. The sound design and lighting are excellent, I'm just exploring the world and enjoying the story and combat.

Taking some Bullshots here and there and Ill post them for you guys when I get a chance.

I did hear for people who skipped Clear Sky, like myself, that you would miss out on some of the mechanic changes.
I had to look up how to find artifacts online. In SoC they were just laying around in anomalies. Now, you need a certain type of detector for them to appear.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm getting immersed into Call of Pripyat. The sound design and lighting are excellent, I'm just exploring the world and enjoying the story and combat.

Taking some Bullshots here and there and Ill post them for you guys when I get a chance.

I did hear for people who skipped Clear Sky, like myself, that you would miss out on some of the mechanic changes.
I had to look up how to find artifacts online. In SoC they were just laying around in anomalies. Now, you need a certain type of detector for them to appear.

I love it so much, can't wait to see your shots. I go back to CoP somewhat frequently and I am dying for Misery to finish their 2.0 update. It sounds like everything I could ever want and more, on top of a game I already love.

JaseC

His settings are fine.

Okay. The idea behind Offline Mode is that it saves the necessary information into winui.gcf and reads from it when Steam fails to connect to Valve's own official authentication servers, so if your friend's issue with Offline Mode is simply that Steam won't load OM at all, then my recommendation would be to, initially, exit Steam, delete winui.gcf (located Steam\steamapps), reload Steam, ensure his log-in info is saved, and then switch to Offline Mode. If that doesn't work, back up the steamapps and userdata folders, delete the entire Steam folder, reinstall Steam, reinstate said folders, and ensure the games he wants to play when offline boot correctly while signed in -- before switching to OM.

Okay. The idea behind Offline Mode is that it saves the necessary information into winui.gcf and reads from it when Steam fails to connect to Valve's own official authentication servers, so if your friend's issue with Offline Mode is simply that Steam won't load OM at all, then my recommendation would be to, initially, exit Steam, delete winui.gcf (located Steam\steamapps), reload Steam, ensure his log-in info is saved, and then switch to Offline Mode. If that doesn't work, back up the steamapps and userdata folders, delete the entire Steam folder, reinstall Steam, reinstate said folders, and ensure the games he wants to play when offline boot correctly while signed in -- before switching to OM.

I recommend the usage of config file, winui method is too complex.

Save this text as steam.cfg and put it in the same folder with your steam.exe
Code:
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable
ForceOfflineMode=enable

And this will enforce offline mode every time you start. Rename it to something else when you want online mode and rename back for offline.

JaseC

Good idea! But I'll reiterate that winui.gcf will need the log-in info for the kinda-sorta-trick to work.

Yeah, you have to have a successful login first. After that one you can stay offline as long as you like, if you don't download or update anything.

JaseC

Yeah, you have to have a successful login first. After that one you can stay offline as long as you like, if you don't download or update anything.

Come to think of it, this is one of the most egregious issues with Offline Mode; if it's detected a game update, you won'r be able to run the game until you've downloaded the patch.

HoosTrax

I just got bit by GFWL didn't I...

I loaded up Flatout: UC, which I last played like two weeks ago, and all of my campaign progress was gone. Ugh, knew I should have played Flatout 2 instead (which I also own). The soundtrack was better to boot.

Blizzard

Banned
Come to think of it, this is one of the most egregious issues with Offline Mode; if it's detected a game update, you won'r be able to run the game until you've downloaded the patch.
Yup, another of my long desired features being the option to be able to play games, even online, WITHOUT downloading updates.

Just realised I have Mafia in my library. I've played Mafia II but not the first, is it worth playing? Reviews suggest it was good, but how does it hold up for an 11 year old game?

I had a really hard time getting into it. It has aged rather poorly as far as the controls go, especially the driving. I gave up about an hour in. The funny thing was that this really old game had native support for my 5760x1080p resolution. Other than that, it is as clunky as you can imagine.

HoosTrax

I had a really hard time getting into it. It has aged rather poorly as far as the controls go, especially the driving. I gave up about an hour in. The funny thing was that this really old game had native support for my 5760x1080p resolution. Other than that, it is as clunky as you can imagine.
The default keybinds in Mafia 1 are the most confounding thing I've ever seen. As in literally almost every single keybind was seemingly randomly chosen, and not what the accepted standard for a particular function is.

JaseC

The default keybinds in Mafia 1 are the most confounding thing I've ever seen. As in literally almost every single keybind was seemingly randomly chosen, and not what the accepted standard for a particular function is.

I gave up part way through the first mission main story mission. What am I, a ventriloquist?

Edit: I should point out that I didn't have a controller at the time.

Megasoum

Banned
Haven't tried Mafia 1 in years so I'm really sad to hear that it didn't age well. I remember LOVING the shit out of that game when it came out. It had an amazing story even if the twist was kinda predictable if you've ever seen a mafia movie in your lifetime lol.

Mafia 2 was boring as hell compared to it. Mafia 2 is very impressive on the technical side but it's so empty, you just go from mission to mission and they get super repetitive. I never finished it and I think I tried starting a new game at least 3 times.

Sblargh

Banned
Steam kidnapped my games! :(
I moved to a new house and getting here there wasn't internet yet.
Offline mode did not work! Steam would not let me access my games on a PC that went online a gazillion times before.

I feel betrayed, GAF!

JaseC

Offline mode did not work! Steam would not let me access my games on a PC that went online a gazillion times before.

I feel betrayed, GAF!

I'll never forgive Offline Mode for ruining a planned weekend of CS:S drinking games. We had to make do with other drinking games.

If there's one thing I love more than SR, it's CCR.

Oh, who am I kidding. But it's a close one!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If there's one thing I love more than SR, it's CCR.

Oh, who am I kidding. But it's a close one!
Sir, you have won my eternal admiration with that comment. Creedence is my favorite band, and I almost wetted my pants when I heard that Fogerty was going to give a show in my city 2 years ago.

I need to get the remastered albums on the next Steam sale from Amazon.

Goddammit JaseC, you change avatar so much that I see two of them in the same screen right now lol

I was about to say the same thing.
TzsQ6Ja.png

I think we'll be lost the day you start using someone else's picture on your avatar.

I feel betrayed, GAF!
Have you tried the method I posted earlier?

JaseC

Sir, you have won my eternal admiration with that comment. Creedence is my favorite band, and I almost wetted my pants when I heard that Fogerty was going to give a show in my city 2 years ago.

I need to get the remastered albums on the next Steam sale from Amazon.

In regard to things I'll throw money at when Amazon UK eventually brings back the free shipping to Australia promotion*, physical copies of CCR's albums is up there with hardcover editions of all the Asterix books. Unless JB HiFi has a classic rock sale in the interim.

Unfortunately, I recently tried to purchase Football Manager 2009, 2011 and 2012, only to be told that Australia isn't among the privileged countries (I think because the orders weren't to be fulfilled by Amazon itself). I had to spend an extra $10 or so ordering the games via eBay, but, hey, worth it!

* Amazon UK's trial run began in February 2011... and was extended a few times, ultimately ending in January 2012. Clearly it was a stupid success.

I was about to say the same thing.
TzsQ6Ja.png

I think we'll be lost the day you start using someone else's picture on your avatar.

If I happen to change my avatar from Saoirse, it means we're dating.

Megasoum

Banned
In regard to things I'll throw money at when Amazon UK eventually brings back the free shipping to Australia promotion*, physical copies of CCR's albums is up there with hardcover editions of all the Asterix books. Unless JB HiFi has a classic rock sale in the interim.

Unfortunately, I recently tried to purchase Football Manager 2009, 2011 and 2012, only to be told that Australia isn't among the privileged countries (I think because the orders weren't to be fulfilled by Amazon itself). I had to spend an extra $10 or so ordering the games via eBay, but, hey, worth it!

* Amazon UK's trial run began in February 2011... and was extended a few times, ultimately ending in January 2012. Clearly it was a stupid success.

If I happen to change my avatar from Saoirse, it means we're dating.

Oh man all the Asterix album.. I already have a bunch of them (and a lot of Tintin too) in the original French. Most of them are original print too cause they come from my father who got them in his childhood. I have them all on my ipad right now but I should really get both collections at some point.

And lmao at your avatar. I can just imagine the girl's reaction if you start dating and she find your avatar's historic...

Oh man all the Asterix album.. I already have a bunch of them (and a lot of Tintin too) in the original French. Most of them are original print too cause they come from my father who got them in his childhood. I have them all on my ipad right now but I should really get both collections at some point.

And lmao at your avatar. I can just imagine the girl's reaction if you start dating and she find your avatar's historic...

Original prints of Tintin and Asterix might be worth a lot (and probably even more in Quebec, if you really happen to live here like your avatar suggests).

And I'm surprised that Asterix is known in Australia too!

Megasoum

Banned
Original prints of Tintin and Asterix might be worth a lot (and probably even more in Quebec, if you really happen to live here like your avatar suggests).

I'm surprised that Asterix is known in Australia too!

Yeah I'm pretty sure my brother checked at some point. They are mostly in terrible condition tho and we lost a couple over the years.

Nabs

So now that MK9 is pretty much guaranteed, who here plans on picking it up? What price does this 2 yr old port have to be for you to break?

I'm guessing it'll launch at $30, but I'll probably wait for a $20 deal. Maybe we'll get a nice discount during the S... sale.

JaseC

I'd intended to use my 2012 tax refund to fund my Asterix habit, but I was bitten by the Steam sale bug. I actually miscalculated, ultimately overspending and consequently had a brief period where my car lacked comprehensive insurance. :p (I didn't hit anything, though!)

Should the scenario arise, I'll be completely forthcoming!

So now that MK9 is pretty much guaranteed, who here plans on picking it up? What price does this 2 yr old port have to be for you to break?

I'm guessing it'll launch at $30, but I'll probably wait for a $20 deal. Maybe we'll get a nice discount during the S... sale.

Pre-order hats: ASAP
No pre-order hats: Half off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom