• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
so yeah I turned 24 this week :|

I've got a spare copy of Don't Starve to give away, to enter explain what is the worst game you have on your Steam library and why.

Winner chosen in the morning.

Darksiders 2.

It's a complete parody of what made DS1 such a brilliant game. Yes, the graphics are crisper and all that jazz, but none of the quests make any sense. The RPG elements are ridiculous to the extreme, and it obviously is following the model of a single-player MMO. None of the loot is any good or different from any of the other loot in the game. The battles just feel tedious.

Yes, it's certainly impressive how big the game is, but it's far too easy to get lost and the world itself is lifeless.

Don't even get me started on how the fucked control scheme and menu made the game completely unplayable until the patch.

Hell, don't even get me started on the story, which did nothing to flesh out or even progress the plot of the first DS.

It made me want to play Amalur.

Oh, yeah, uh, happy birthday. :p

I'll never understand the Darksider's II hate.

It was better than the first in practically every way and was probably the most memorable and best gamey game I have played in ages.

What is the consensus on Don't Starve?

It is really good. I can see myself getting burnt out on it before too long, but by then I would have sunk a heck of a lot of hours into it. Jump in.

I'll never understand the Darksider's II hate.

It was better than the first in practically every way and was probably the most memorable and best gamey game I have played in ages.

Being better than the original isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

I've got a spare copy of Don't Starve to give away, to enter explain what is the worst game you have on your Steam library and why.

So the Orange is slowly maturating and still far from rotting, here's for many more years fighting with life (^_^)/

Worst game in my Library has to be Bioshock: Infinite.

Or not...

Worst game in my library is Payday: The Heist. The reason is because it was o so faraway from my expectations. The A.I. is so broken i couldn't extract any enjoyment from the game.

Being better than the original isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.

Was it the best game evar? No, of course not.

The combat, world, music, characters, every god damn thing about it other than the ending was great.

I was looking for a gaming steak and I got that from both the first and the second, I want more games like it.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So now that MK9 is pretty much guaranteed, who here plans on picking it up? What price does this 2 yr old port have to be for you to break?

I'm guessing it'll launch at $30, but I'll probably wait for a $20 deal. Maybe we'll get a nice discount during the S... sale.
I already got the Komplete Edition on PS3, so probably when it hits $10 or so.

Hopefully MK9 comes soon, I only have the vita version which while very fun and smooth(60FPS) has some of the worst textures on the system. Real shame because it'd be one of the best ports out there otherwise. The exclusive touch based challenge tower is actually pretty brilliant.
MortalKombat1_1335853005.jpg

It'll be nice to play the game in its full glory.
IIRC the Vita version has 30fps in X-Rays.

oh that's the other part, i'd take any of you suckas on percentage of games played

I play the vidyagames that I buy

edit: also according to library it's 629 games. Valve needs to kill that fake counter
Yeah, the fake counter is pretty annoying

Yeah the community view shows an inflated "games owned" count, due to DLC being included.
Yeah, and no idea why they do that

Grief.exe

Happy birthday mister.

I'd edge Borderlands as the worst. I could probably tell myself there is worst out there I've played, but it had the largest price of entry.

Soulless. Dull. Dumb. I don't know how my people could have even recommended it, even considering most of the people that have played it locally here played it on their own. I'd like a good dumb co-op from time to time, but it's time is up to try and set up that. More traditional RPGs are at least better because you can usually keep your attention elsewhere as you grind.

Borderlands 2 bored the piss out of me.

I was literally falling asleep while playing it.

dreamfall

Borderlands 2 bored the piss out of me.

I was literally falling asleep while playing it.

I can only play it with others in a full party. The writing can be animated and hilarious at times, but the quests are so uninspired.

Must play with others to avoid falling asleep / I really enjoy just complaining about it! But it does feel like a team effort.

EDIT: And Happy 24th MRORANGE!

FloatOn

For the record, as long as we are all pissing on games, Alpha Protocol was so terrible for me I deleted it after 30 minutes. Just really poor in all regards, I don't get the gaf love on this one at all.

HoosTrax

For the record, as long as we are all pissing on games, Alpha Protocol was so terrible for me I deleted it after 30 minutes. Just really poor in all regards, I don't get the gaf love on this one at all.
Uh oh. I have that game on my wishlist. I hope that doesn't turn into a Binary Domain or Krater type of game for me, where people on GAF were praising it to the high heavens and it turned out to be pretty naff in terms of gameplay. Both of those games looked great, but had really irritating gameplay flaws.

oipic

Happy Birthday, Monsieur Orange! I hope your 25th year is an awesome one.

I've scrolled through my library a couple of times now, and maybe I'm just easily pleased, or lacking in critical thinking, but nothing sticks out as the 'worst' game - each offers something in its own way. Games! <3

Hmmm, except maybe Puzzle Pirates.

Erudite

The gameplay definitely leaves something to be desired, but the characters, dialogue and the experience of seeing the results of your choices were worth the time to slog through the poor combat for me.

If that's not what interests you in a RPG, then it's definitely not for you.

FloatOn

Uh oh. I have that game on my wishlist. I hope that doesn't turn into a Binary Domain or Krater type of game for me, where people on GAF were praising it to the high heavens and it turned out to be pretty naff in terms of gameplay. Both of those games looked great, but had really irritating gameplay flaws.

I loved binary domain in all it's cheesy glory. Felt like the anti bro gears of war.

But on the subject of Alpha Protocol it was like a super shitty mass effect 2 but with spies. People praise it for the dialog choices but if you want a game with that, just play the walking dead.

Khronico

Sword of the Stars 2, without a doubt. Game runs like crap, UI is a mess, menu is confusing and cluttered, and it took almost 2 years before the game reached 1.0 (and even THEN it was a buggy mess). I got this game in a paradox bundle from Amazon and I STILL feel cheated.

Alpha Protocol is going to be one of those games. It's one where you put up with its alright play to mess around with the different setups and character interactions.

Binary Domain was damn fun though, but I wasn't truly feeling it until I got further down my weapon's upgrade path. Wish they extended that to all the weapons you could use.

HoosTrax

I just got bit by GFWL didn't I...

I loaded up Flatout: UC, which I last played like two weeks ago, and all of my campaign progress was gone. Ugh, knew I should have played Flatout 2 instead (which I also own). The soundtrack was better to boot.
Turned out to be a false alarm (sort of) - my save game disappearing was due to the day-long XBOX Live (and by extension GFWL) outage. Gotta love that even being purely PC-exclusive still doesn't render me immune to Microsoft's always online nonsense.

Save file is back now that GFWL is back up.

Grief.exe

Turned out to be a false alarm (sort of) - my save game disappearing was due to the day-long XBOX Live (and by extension GFWL) outage. Gotta love that even being purely PC-exclusive still doesn't render me immune to Microsoft's always online nonsense.

Save file is back now that GFWL is back up.

I hate GFWL with a passion, this kind of thing only increases my hate.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I'm looking for suggestions...

I kinda want to play a RPG right now but I don't know what.

I liked Dragon Age Origin but I don't care for 2. I played through Witcher 2 when it first came out so I guess I could redo it to see the new stuff but you know, sometime it's fun to play a game that actually runs at 60fps lol. I'm done with Mass Effect for a while. Same with Kotor...

So yeah... I'm out of ideas right now.

gillty

Banned

I liked Dragon Age Origin but I don't care for 2. I played through Witcher 2 when it first came out so I guess I could redo it to see the new stuff but you know, sometime it's fun to play a game that actually runs at 60fps lol. I'm done with Mass Effect for a while. Same with Kotor...

Alpha Protocol

Vampire Bloodlines

Grief.exe

Morrowind
Mount and Blade: Warband
KOTOR 1/2 (Just noticed you mentioned this one)
Witcher 1
Planescape Torment
Fallout 3/NV
Torchlight 1/2, Path of Exile
Ys: Origins/Oath
Legend of Grimrock
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Dust: An Elysian Tale (Metroidvania-style title coming this month to Steam)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Playing right now on my GBA)
Deus Ex 1, System Shock

Dark Souls

YES!!

Megasoum

Banned
Alpha Protocol

Vampire Bloodlines

Excellent suggestions. Especially Bloodlines.

Morrowind
Mount and Blade: Warband
KOTOR 1/2 (Just noticed you mentioned this one)
Witcher 1
Planescape Torment
Fallout 3/NV
Torchlight 1/2, Path of Exile
Ys: Origins/Oath
Legend of Grimrock
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
Dust: An Elysian Tale (Metroidvania-style title coming this month to Steam)
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (Playing right now on my GBA)
Deus Ex 1, System Shock

YES!!

Oh right AP and Vampire. For some reason my brain chose to forget about all the Deus Ex style games (must be a side effect of my job lol). I do have AP on steam, I should give it another try.

Played all the Baldurs Gate, Icewind dale type games? Otherwise Dark Souls?

I could never get into those games. It's just a bit too much RPG for me lol. I like the premise but when I see all the stats screen my head start to spin. It's really too bad because the incredible amount of content in those games seems really cool.

Never played the souls game. I could get Demon for free with PS+ but I dunno...I'm intimitated lol.

vermadas

So I've used Steam Mover to create junction points on my SSD for games that actually reside on my HDD. I'm using Windows 8. I'm doing a motherboard upgrade and subsequently am wiping my SSD and reinstalling Windows, etc. Is there any way to back up these junctions so I don't have to manually recreate them all later? When you copy them in Explorer it tries to copy the folders they are pointing to.

I could never get into those games. It's just a bit too much RPG for me lol. I like the premise but when I see all the stats screen my head start to spin. It's really too bad because the incredible amount of content in those games seems really cool.

Fair enough. If BG is too much, maybe NWN2 (especially the expansions). That'll be closer to DAO.

Never played the souls game. I could get Demon for free with PS+ but I dunno...I'm intimitated lol.

Not much to lose then. Dark Souls is much less brutal than Demon's, so it might still be the better place to start (and at 60fps if you have a decent rig). It is very much like the Witcher 2 in the combat style is similar (but even better) and the last sections of it are completely crap.

SOUL HACKERS ON TUESDAY

Unless you're a bad man who steals on the net that's a filthy console game, though.

Or you live in a PAL region :|

Elixist

All right, thanks for the tips guys, I'll give Demon Soul a try while Alpha Protocol is downloading.

I'm playin thru dark souls for the first time right now and the nice thing about the game (not sure if this is true for demons souls) is that if your having a hard time you can grind out some levels for a bit to get a bit stronger before trying the harder parts again.

FloatOn

All right, thanks for the tips guys, I'll give Demon Soul a try while Alpha Protocol is downloading.

Have fun with the word scramble hacking mini game in alpha protocol....

It may not have all the rpg stats... but deus ex human revolution is at least two times the game with about fifty times the polish.

Megasoum

Banned
Have fun with the word scramble hacking mini game in alpha protocol....

It may not have all the rpg stats... but deus ex human revolution is at least two times the game with about fifty times the polish.

Oh right, I forgot about the word scramble thing ugh...

Well the thing with DEHR is that I worked on the game so...while I agree that it's an amazing game (heh), I've seen the thing everyday for 2 years so I don't really want to play it once I get home lol.

FloatOn

Oh right, I forgot about the word scramble thing ugh...

Well the thing with DEHR is that I worked on the game so...while I agree that it's an amazing game (heh), I've seen the thing everyday for 2 years so I don't really want to play it once I get home lol.

Oh snap. Well thanks for your work on it. I really enjoyed it.

Have you played Bastion? It's pretty short but a damn fine action rpg.

Something a little rough around the edges but still fun for me was Risen. Avoid the sequel though.

cicero

Happy Birthday!

As for my choice of worst game, I know it is pretty much a Steam cliche by now, but it just has to be Bad Rats. Before it had become a cliche, someone gave it to me as a gift, and I decided to check it out because I didn't want to be unappreciative and never play something so kindly gifted to me. I got about 10 minutes into the game when I decided that I hated it with a passion and was going to delete it, which is pretty much the exact moment when it froze my entire system up.

I think that in some ethereal way both I and the program "Bad Rats" on my machine connected on a higher level, and we both decided to take our leave of each other in the most aggressive vindictive way possible. Like something similar to the movie "Tron". But instead of a helpful program trying to guide me through my experience on the system, I got a real rotten bastard throwing red discs at my head. Every time I see it on my list of games on Steam, I envision some son of a bitch shaking his tiny fist at me. Now I try to avoid ALL experimental lasers that transport matter, just in case...

Megasoum

Banned
Good first build advice.

Pump Endurance and Vitality with either Strength or Dex for damage.

So noob question... I know I die at the end of the tutorial and warped to the nexus. Am I supposed to get back to life before starting the first level or I'll find my corpse somewhere in there?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys post your age, the games you want on the summer sale and your graphs of percent played!!!
Hitman: Absolution and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, as they are really hardcore games.
I played 200 hours of MW3 and shouted racial slurs to everyone out there willing to listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom