• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh is that it? I was always under the impression it was deeply rooted in people's PCs and harder to ditch than that.

In addition to that I think it leaves a folder in appdata as well, the uninstall takes care of the main folders and services/registry entries/firewall rules though.

I remember the built in uninstaller working like it should though, it's not deeply rooted compared with other stuff.

ShaneB

I'm the same. I really only care about the stats, and I guess achievements are the next best thing seeing as they often reflect in-game statistics (except that they stop tracking after you've reached the achievement threshold).

Some guy on a site I found googling said that Payday had amazing stats, and he's right. There's tons of detail; I love it. Here's an example: http://steamcommunity.com/id/anonanon/stats/PAYDAY:TheHeist?tab=stats&subtab=overview

As does Puzzle Quest 2. I wish more games did this as well, very cool stuff.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ehh I kinda wish achievements unlocked stuff rather than just "stats". It's not like Steam isn't giving stats anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
Well..after tonight's test I can't say I really want to continue playing Demon Souls but I would definitly buy Dark Soul next time it goes down on steam. Just the fact of playing it with a 360 pad instead of the Dual Shock is an enormous plus lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, but all this cost money without bringing in new customers I guess. That's bad, I like stats a lot!

It's not as though I intend games to support player stats retroactively, but I'd wager it's quite simple to set up during development. MP games in particular would benefit.

dreamfall

Attempting to replay ACIII, as I got really far but never finished it on Console. Is there any way to turn off these notifications for the optional objectives?!~ That shit drives me crazy- it's like they're asking me to emulate some restrictive play style, and then I see a bunch of RED X'S if I don't follow it.

Bah,

I hate you secondary objectives. I can't seem to figure out if there is any option in the HUD menu to turn it off!

JaseC

Attempting to replay ACIII, as I got really far but never finished it on Console. Is there any way to turn off these notifications for the optional objectives?!~ That shit drives me crazy- it's like they're asking me to emulate some restrictive play style, and then I see a bunch of RED X'S if I don't follow it.

Bah,

I hate you secondary objectives. I can't seem to figure out if there is any option in the HUD menu to turn it off!

It's possible to turn off various HUD elements in the options menu, but beyond that there's nothing you can do.

Salsa

Really tempted to get Don't Starve but I want a comfy couch game.

dave-chappelle-fuck-yo-couch.gif

JaseC

The Pets and Paws are games that you will never get! Automatically makes my Steam account worth more than yours.

I wonder if they'll ever make it back to Steam; they were published by ValuSoft on the PC and Cosmi bought the budget label from THQ a year ago.

Edit: Resort and Pampered Pets are still up on GamersGate.

MRORANGE

header_292x136.jpg

Winner of Don't Starve is cicero

As for my choice of worst game, I know it is pretty much a Steam cliche by now, but it just has to be Bad Rats. Before it had become a cliche, someone gave it to me as a gift, and I decided to check it out because I didn't want to be unappreciative and never play something so kindly gifted to me. I got about 10 minutes into the game when I decided that I hated it with a passion and was going to delete it, which is pretty much the exact moment when it froze my entire system up.

I think that in some ethereal way both I and the program "Bad Rats" on my machine connected on a higher level, and we both decided to take our leave of each other in the most aggressive vindictive way possible. Like something similar to the movie "Tron". But instead of a helpful program trying to guide me through my experience on the system, I got a real rotten bastard throwing red discs at my head. Every time I see it on my list of games on Steam, I envision some son of a bitch shaking his tiny fist at me. Now I try to avoid ALL experimental lasers that transport matter, just in case...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes guys.

I'd probably keep playing super hexagon if I had an active friend list.its for the best I have a backlog to destroy.

Really enjoying Spec Ops: the line despite every man Nolan North being in it. I finished GTA IV and I have no hope that Rockstar north will manage a good port. Oh well.
Pity really had it got checkpoints it would have been better.

I would start a new account for a Castlevania: Lords of Shadow release, you hear me Konami?

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Caerith

I have 40 hours logged in Arkham City. I really can't justify that other than that I sometimes fall asleep playing video games.

JaseC

I put a few hours into Arkham City but ultimately set it aside, deciding to wait for a patch to fix the awfully-optimised DX11 renderer. So much for that. I do intend to finish the game prior to the release of Origins, though, and will also run through Asylum PC for the first time, which incidentally is my pick of the bunch for its Metroidvania focus.

Blizzard

Banned
I put a few hours into Arkham City but ultimately set it aside, deciding to wait for a patch to fix the awfully-optimised DX11 renderer. So much for that. I do intend to finish the game prior to the release of Origins, though, and will also run through Asylum PC for the first time, which incidentally is my pick of the bunch for its Metroidvania focus.
DX11 has been out for 5 years or so, and with the possible exception of Metro 2033 and Project CARS, DX11 performance seems almost exclusively worse than DX9. Of course that's perhaps reasonable if DX11 means they are adding more effects, but it would be cool if DX11 performance was the same or better than DX9 for some game because of efficiency enhancements or something. An engine might need to be designed as DX11 only for that to really be feasible, I guess?

JaseC

DX11 has been out for 5 years or so, and with the possible exception of Metro 2033 and Project CARS, DX11 performance seems almost exclusively worse than DX9. Of course that's perhaps reasonable if DX11 means they are adding more effects, but it would be cool if DX11 performance was the same or better than DX9 for some game because of efficiency enhancements or something. An engine might need to be designed as DX11 only for that to really be feasible, I guess?

With Arkham City the issue isn't so much that performance is reduced when using DX11, but rather that it's significantly worse.

1-D_FTW

The beauty of MS FUD. I remember when 10/11 was introduced. And MS stating it could never be released on XP because it was a fundamentally new architecture that couldn't be retrofit into XP. The evidence was it was MUCH more efficient and performance would be significantly superior. :lol

JaseC

Company of Heroes 2 and Blood Dragon get (cheers Based Dunder). I really ought to play the beta of the former at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom