• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
so really how bad is ass creed revelations?

I kinda want to play something ass creed but don't feel like paying enough for 3 and I've already beaten all other ass creeds

It's awesome how your pc in Don't Starve drops his axe to gather stuff and picks it up again after finishing.

Meanwhile in Tomb Raider the bow just miraculously disappears in Lara's butt.

Dunlop

AS I don't see any other posts with an issue, my computer rebooted for a Windows update and now me Steam is stuck with "updating Steam", "Installing update"

I've ended the process and when I relaunch it does the same deal. Is there some kind of rollback trick or do I need to reinstall the client?

edit: lol as soon as I clicked POST it finished...I had it running for about 40 mins in the background

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I put a few hours into Arkham City but ultimately set it aside, deciding to wait for a patch to fix the awfully-optimised DX11 renderer. So much for that. I do intend to finish the game prior to the release of Origins, though, and will also run through Asylum PC for the first time, which incidentally is my pick of the bunch for its Metroidvania focus.

Why would you not just play in DX9? Tesselation is nice, but it's not worth putting a game down over.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why would you not just play in DX9? Tesselation is nice, but it's not worth putting a game down over.

It's not so much that I didn't want to play the game in DX9, but rather I assumed that the DX11 renderer would be improved in the near future so I decided to go back to whatever it was that I was playing prior to the release of Arkham City and eventually just forgot about the game entirely.

Derrick01

Banned
JaseC said:
It's not so much that I didn't want to play the game in DX9, but rather I assumed that the DX11 renderer would be improved in the near future so I decided to go back to whatever it was that I was playing prior to the release of Arkham City and eventually just forgot about the game entirely.

If they haven't fixed it in almost 2 years I doubt they will. Just be glad it works better than it did when it came out, when everyone was getting 1fps.

Personally I'd rather get rid of the unreal engine stuttering that happens so much as you fly around the city and it tries to load everything in sections.

JaseC

I kinda want to play something ass creed but don't feel like paying enough for 3 and I've already beaten all other ass creeds

It's not bad, it's just more of the same. The hookblade is a nice novelty, but the game otherwise does very little to differentiate itself from the foundation offered by Brotherhood -- even Constantinople feels like Rome with a slightly different coat of paint.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

What a naive expectation of a modern developer haha.

JaseC

If they haven't fixed it in almost 2 years I doubt they will. Just be glad it works better than it did when it came out, when everyone was getting 1fps.

Oh, I've no doubt about that. The ship that is the game's post-release support sailed long ago.

Personally I'd rather get rid of the unreal engine stuttering that happens so much as you fly around the city and it tries to load everything in sections.

Yeah, as I mentioned in another thread, marrying an open-world game with an engine known for its stuttering/streaming issues wasn't the wisest of decisions, though to be fair I doubt WB would've been receptive to the idea of the game spending twice as long in development so Rocksteady can stitch together its own open-world engine.

What a naive expectation of a modern developer haha.

Sometimes broken things are fixed and I thought we'd get lucky. :p

Cheddahz

Banned

I heard it's more of the same and I've heard from people that after AC2, each game started to get worse and worse

JaseC

I thought Brotherhood was better than AC2, but agree that Revelations and AC3 are a step down from there...

AssCreed 3 is the worst of the lot as far as I'm concerned. AC > AC2 ~ Brotherhood > Revelations > AC3.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure a 680 could just brute force 60 fps level performance with all the DX11 settings.

I have two overclocked 670s so I'll be sure to experiment.

zkylon

zkylewd
eh I'll guess I'll dig up some indie stuff or something then.

mostly disappointed at the "constantinople looks like rome with a texture swap" part. big part of the reason I don't care much for ass creed 3 is that I can't fathom any excitement for american cities, while constantinople sounded pretty cool.

well, I owe my chilean brothers to play zeno clash, might as well get on it

edit: also imo ass creed 2 > ass creed 1 > ass bro. while I appreciate ass creed 1 at least trying to pretend you were actually an assassin, and having a story that wasn't completely insane, da vinci was just so cute, and really made ac2 my fave.

Overdoziz

Banned
AssCreed 3 is the worst of the lot as far as I'm concerned. AC > AC2 ~ Brotherhood > Revelations > AC3.
For the me the first game was easily the worst out of the bunch. The first 3-4 hours are good, but then they decided to copy that 7 more times which made it extremely repetitive and boring. Haven't played Revelations, though.

derExperte

I'm 47. Do I win?

Tell us some WW2 stories!
36 isn't much better compared to some of the toddlers here.

Then Rev is a good bet, I was in the same situation and it's not bad at all. Just a bit inconsequential and much shorter, you can complete the story missions in 10hrs and there aren't that many side quests.

JaseC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSsdHPK8BIs

Wtf? I thought RFG multiplayer was shut down for some reason.

Please be the daily deal.

THQ's legacy IPs, Red Faction among them, haven't been sold off just yet (final bids are due by the 15th), so I wouldn't expect it to go on sale until the franchise changes hands -- assuming there's an interested party and Red Faction isn't left to rot with the corpse of THQ.

For the me the first game was easily the worst out of the bunch. The first 3-4 hours are good, but then they decided to copy that 7 more times which made it extremely repetitive and boring. Haven't played Revelations, though.

The original holds a special place in my heart as it's the entry in the series that succeeds the most at making the player feel like an actual assassin. It's a shame that, rather than attempt to iterate and improve it, Ubi saw fit to ditch this defining element and instead move the series towards a more traditional action-adventure route.

JaseC

just realized i still had $5 in amazon credit from buying tomb raider. if only they had a good selection of dlc. nothing for xcom, dishonored, tomb raider, bio inf, skyrim, re6 ;_;

I have $2 in credit that was added to my account when I e-mailed support and complained that the Ace Combat + That Mud Bike Game + Something Else bundle was $16.99 when I purchased it but was reduced further to $14.99 a few hours later. Unfortunately, Amazon's sales as of late have been of no interest.

1-D_FTW

I have $2 in credit that was added to my account when I e-mailed support and complained that the Ace Combat + That Mud Bike Game + Something Else bundle was $16.99 when I purchased it but was reduced further to $14.99 a few hours later. Unfortunately, Amazon's sales as of late have been of no interest.

14.99 for Ace Combat and Mud? I would have been tempted by that. I know AC sucks, but the nostalgia for earlier titles is strong with me. And Mud looks interesting enough. Wonder how I missed this.

Unfortunately, Amazon's sales as of late have been of no interest.

Tony and Amazon got all this hype because they presented unexpected deals, even sidetracking Steam Sales by starting just a bit before it and cut its hype. But now they seem to be waiting for Steam to act first.

JaseC

Tony and Amazon got all this hype because they presented unexpected deals, even sidetracking Steam Sales by starting just a bit before it and cut its hype. But now they seem to be waiting for Steam to act first.

Yeah, it's been exactly one month since I've purchased something from Amazon. Come on, Tony, throw me a bone. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's only so much a retailer can do. They can ask the publishers to participate. They can sacrifice their margin--well, at least in the short-term, that's no way to run a business long-term. Of course they don't have an enormous amount of margin to begin with, 30% at best and probably less if they just resell codes in volume. If you're Valve you can build community features around the sale, but no one else can do that.

1-D_FTW

There's only so much a retailer can do. They can ask the publishers to participate. They can sacrifice their margin--well, at least in the short-term, that's no way to run a business long-term. Of course they don't have an enormous amount of margin to begin with, 30% at best and probably less if they just resell codes in volume. If you're Valve you can build community features around the sale, but no one else can do that.

Although, Valve also has infrastructure costs. Selling Steam redeemable codes has got to be the least expensive business on the internet. Even if you slash your cut, it's still all free money (no physical overhead or bandwidth costs). Sweet gig if you can get it.

I agree with you, the ammunition of Amazon is limited compared to Valve's so they have to use it more wisely. But they can at least put some good deals like GMG. They focus on the pre-orders and that doesn't work for me.

Wok

Tomorrow is La-Mulana's release day. With 64 achievements, I am sure I am going to play this game untill Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine's release in ten days.

By the way, Monaco:WYIM is on sale again on the official website ($13.50 for one copy), but I plan to buy my copy from a 4 pack, one of these coming days, since it is cheaper ($11.25 per copy, not including paypal fees). Moreover, the pre-order will only be available on Steam from Wednesday 17 April. Who knows, we might get hats.

Speaking of hats:

AndySchatz [développeur] 4 Apr 2013 @ 20 h 07

TF2 Items- Help us convince Valve!

Hey folks! We've got some items up in the TF2 workshop:

5awxCcC.png

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=136454263

If we can get enough upvotes and attention for them, Valve may include them as part of a preorder or sale for Monaco. Help us convince them that they MUST or they will be missing... THE OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME! lifetime lifetime lifetime

Goldmund

I liked Darksiders for everything that wasn't the combat and the self-seriousness/gritty comicness of it all. How much of an improvement is Darksiders II?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I meant in terms of content quality, not simply savings.

Just picked up darksiders, thinking about getting the dlc too. Uh O... I've been good about only buying what I'm going to play. But lately I've been picking up cheap games on a whim. The backlog, it's groing, nooooo

JaseC

I liked Darksiders for everything that wasn't the combat and the self-seriousness/gritty comicness of it all. How much of an improvement is Darksiders II?

My thoughts:

I actually liked the change of direction in general, with the game going from a Zelda/God of War lite hybrid to a frenetic third-person action-adventure romp -- the combat in particular I found to be rather enjoyable. My key issues, however, are that the loot system was clearly designed around the possessed weapon concept, rendering most of it useless (not unlike Blizzard designing Diablo 3's loot system around the RMAH), and the game is simply too big for its own good: while the first two worlds are generously sized, the quests are utterly uninspired and repetitive, requiring copious backtracking, and the latter two worlds are comparatively tiny. The campaign ought to have been limited to two larger worlds in an effort to flesh them out more, and another six months in the oven at the least wouldn't have gone astray. Also, most of the skills on offer are useless; there's one in particular that claims to lure enemies to attack your summoned ghouls rather than you... but it's of no importance as this is the default enemy AI behaviour. Oh, and there are bugs aplenty, some of them game-breaking and virtually none of them patched; the last update was three weeks after release.

The chiefly dull loot combined with the poorly-conceived skill tree means that even if you're enjoying what the game has to offer, you never feel as though you're improving your character in any meaningful way -- again, not unlike Diablo 3.

Edit: That said, I've been meaning to do a NG+ run so I can play the DLC content and, more to the point, complete The Crucible (think Hoard Mode).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom