• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

So what is everyone playing today?

I'd love to play some more Call of Pripyat if my gf lets me.

I was planning to start Anodyne due to all the praise I saw on this thread.
Circumstances unfortunately stopped me from starting any new game.

So I'm mostly been playing Super Hexagon, the game allows me to enter a nice little trance.

Also went back to some Jamestown and finally unlocked the last difficulty, don't think I'll be able to finish the game on it though.

Those green shoots that bypass the Vaunt shield really make the game a lot more confusing when trying to get yourself out of a difficult situation by using it to get a few seconds of breathing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You better get playing then!!

I see you as blue right now on Steam.

It's 2:45am on the 15th here. ;) I'd also planned to see The Host today on the way home, but chances are I won't be in the mood and will postpone it 'til tomorrow/Wednesday.

Grief.exe

I am pretty sure that Fez has been listed for May 1st since it went up on the 'Coming Soon' list.

Wow, has Dust really been confirmed for an April release?

April is already jam-packed with great releases and May is shaping up to be no different.

I think I just forgot about Fez.

He said that Dust was likely in April, but could possibly slip to May.

Hopefully finishing up Anna: Extended Edition (hit a nasty bug last night that prevented me from going any further. That sure soured things!) so I can wrap up my review for it and then a brief break before tearing into Monaco.

That's unfortunate, I myself have made a bit more progress but I'm thinking I decreased my psych meter to the point in which I'll need to restart the game as I can't recover it fast enough. *sigh*

Is the bug something easily replicable? If so could you spoiler text it so I can try to avoid it myself.

Dr Dogg

Why would you play it for so long if you hated it?
KuGsj.gif

Well it was one of those games that started off alright, lost it's way but got a bit better, then had some control issues but needless to say pushed on in hope in might get better or at least to the level it start off at. Sadly it just got a lot worse. After the end (well I say then end, it kind of pulls a Poochie) I'm just glad it's done so I can right click, select properties, delete local content and never speak of it again. The End!

Greymanic

Neo Member
When the Season Pass was announced it was supposed to also include Argul's Tomb (i.e. the "Day 30" content pack), but instead said DLC was temporarily made exclusive to pre-purchasers and it was dangled as a pre-purchase incentive and made available individually upon release. IIRC, the Maker's Armour Set is THQ's awful attempt at apologising for the confusion.
I remember there being some issue with it but couldn't quite remember the specifics. Guess that clears that up.

sibarraz

Banned
Is alpha protocol good?

I had read that is really bad and some others said that is very good, of which kind of genre or games sould I be a fan to enjoy it?

Noogy

Yeah, I'd love to get it out in April (I'm nearly done with my part), but knowing how publishers and releases work, May is also a possibility. I've gotta say though, very impressed with how easy it is working with Steam's publishing tools.

Going to day 1 Fez. Lost my XBLA progress, and I'd prefer to play it on PC anyway.

Derrick01

Banned

A very hard Dishonored+dunwall trials run with every help marker and HUD option turned off in preparation for the DLC on tuesday. I really like the stealth challenges from the first DLC but there's only 2 compared to like 4 action and 3 free running/traversal challengs. Kind of highlights what the main focus of the overall game was.

Is alpha protocol good?

I had read that is really bad and some others said that is very good, of which kind of genre or games sould I be a fan to enjoy it?
Game with lots of faults since it's a budget game by a very talented studio. Most of the enjoyment comes from the dialogue trees and the different choices the player can take. This serves well for multiple replays.

Save for the above the game is quite mediocre. But at the cheap price usually goes for sale (3-5 U.S.) it at least worth a try to see in what side of the line you'll fall.

I've been mostly playing Hotline Miami and Don't Starve today. Close to finishing the former but had to go through the game again since I somehow missed all the puzzle pieces. It's a good game but I only started really liking it once I tried to be as reckless as possible. Playing Hotline Miami in safe mode does it a huge disservice.

sibarraz

Banned
Game with lots of faults since it's a budget game by a very talented studio. Most of the enjoyment comes from the dialogue trees and the different choices the player can take. This serves well for multiple replays.

Save for the above the game is quite mediocre. But at the cheap price usually goes for sale (3-5 U.S.) it at least worth a try to see in what side of the line you'll fall.

Thanks for the answer, well, it seems that I will not enjoy it, I love the dialogue driven games, but if the gameplay isn't there, the best thing is pass

I want to make the same question with Binary Domain

Btw, I'm playing now rome total war, I bought the total pack in a steam sale, and now I wanted to give it a try.

So far I really loved, the game is so addictive and well done, I can't wait to see what has to offer medieval, empire, napoleon and shogun 2, rome 2 should be wait a lot, now I want to play it with a proper pc with full settings to enjoy it at his finest

Thanks for the answer, well, it seems that I will not enjoy it, I love the dialogue driven games, but if the gameplay isn't there, the best thing is pass

Btw, I'm playing now rome total war, I bought the total pack in a steam sale, and now I wanted to give it a try.

So far I really loved, the game is so addictive and well done, I can't wait to see what has to offer medieval, empire, napoleon and shogun 2, rome 2 should be wait a lot, now I want to play it with a proper pc with full settings to enjoy it at his finest

The gameplay is there, but there are no real dialogue choices and the game is very linear. Very little replay value.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's unfortunate, I myself have made a bit more progress but I'm thinking I decreased my psych meter to the point in which I'll need to restart the game as I can't recover it fast enough. *sigh*

Is the bug something easily replicable? If so could you spoiler text it so I can try to avoid it myself.

Oh yes, the bug is very easily replicable. I haven't figured out of it's needed for more than one ending - I'm lost trying to figure out what all else is in the house that I haven't discovered. Here's what happened and how to avoid it:

In order to get the Sabot's Way to completion, you need a certain door to appear on the second floor of the house. In the Living Quarters, the second door is locked and beyond it there's a hidden door that shows up if you close the door behind yourself and lock it with the same key you used to unlock it.

HOWEVER, there is one very important step that could completely screw you over on getting this done. If you enter the living quarters before the house has corrupted enough, the entire living quarters will not transform even when the rest of the house has, which means you can't get access to the hidden door there to complete the Sabot Maker's Way. To avoid this, don't enter the living quarters until you've hit enough haunting events to change the house to a certain point. You'll know you hit enough of them when the upstairs starts having ice chunks and stalagtites pop up everywhere. If that happens, save first then enter the living quarters. If you see eyes on the walls in the main room, then you've avoided that bug.

Binary Domain kinda feels like a modern version of a side scrolling 8bit shooter during the many, and quite ridiculous, boss fights. Problem is it's kind of a bog-standard, cover-based third person shooter between those interesting boss fights.

sibarraz, you are picking a series of divisive games here. Binary shooting mechanics are competent and has a similar "dismemberment" gameplay mechanic to Dead Space series to give it some distinction among it's pears.

But these two games (Binary and Alpha) are comaparable to those "B" movies that just click with certain audiences despite their obvious flaws and limitations. So the best advice is to get them for cheap and kill the curiosity bug.

Grief.exe

Yeah, I'd love to get it out in April (I'm nearly done with my part), but knowing how publishers and releases work, May is also a possibility. I've gotta say though, very impressed with how easy it is working with Steam's publishing tools.

Going to day 1 Fez. Lost my XBLA progress, and I'd prefer to play it on PC anyway.

Thanks for the update Noogy!

Guys, my gf took a nap so I'm getting some Call of Pripyat in.

From earlier

Sajjaja

Damn it. Get Alpha Protocol. It's a fantastic game. Game can get buggy (not often) and it is a bit janky, but believe me, the story is great, dialogue is fantastic and it is great fun.

Finished Hotline Miami.

Bit bummed out because of the achievements (apparently Steamworks stuff is still buggy and I didn't want to risk anything) but it was a great game.

Megasoum

Banned
I started an Alpha Protocol. I prefer the precision of mouse/keyboard but that makes the hacking minigame that was already terrible to begin with extra terrible...ugh. The pros still outweigh the cons but I wish I could just auto skip the scrambled word hackings.

The mouse do make the lockpicking 10 times easier than with the pad tho.

My steam skins are broken all of the sudden. It reverted back to the defealt skin today for no apparent reason and it gives me no other options in the settings. I even plunked down a few more skins to see if that would work, but alas. What do I do now

Smash88

Banned
Going to give a quick review for anyone interested in turret defense games or what Cubemen 2 has to offer.

Just want to give a big shout out to Blizzard for gifting me this game, thanks buddy. :D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here we go:

QgHJxoel.jpg

Where to start... The game in essence is Turret Defense (TD), popularized in Starcraft and Warcraft III. It has multiple units to choose from, varying from rocket launcher men, to wizards that slow units. Your "turrets" can be move around at will, and you can instruct your turrets to target specific units with a mouse click. You also have a level designer, where users can upload their own create maps to the server, in which you can play. Each unit can be sold, and upgraded - standard TD mechanics.

7eYr3F6l.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pros:

• There are a few pro aspects of the game itself. They have a very well done tutorial, that teaches you the basics and advanced mechanics of the game. As someone who went into this relatively blind, it gives you a great foundation in order to do well. It definitely helps you in getting acclimated, as you will soon figure out the game gets extremely difficult.

• The gameplay itself is fluid, much what you would expect from a TD game. There are multiple scenarios you are put in with a varying group of units at your disposal. You gain currency, "cubes", when killing enemy units, which in turn allows you to upgrade or purchase new units. Enemy units spawn from red tower locations, that follow a path to your tower in order to damage it - you have a life bar indicating how many of their units may reach your tower before you are defeated. Their units fire back at you as they move to your tower, trying to kill your units. Each of your units come with a life bar. The game does have a few interesting gameplay devices introduced, such as a teleporter, where your units or theirs may teleport to and from, which adds an interesting element. There are a multitude of aspects you need to pay attention to in order to win a match, and it gets extremely hectic and difficult later on.

oE1FWrZl.jpg

Cons:

QaNwfWrl.jpg

• Man it really is a shame, the game while doing what it does well and that is being a TD in essence, it fails in every other aspect. The game beyond, being a TD with specific units to choose from and use is simplistic. There is nothing really that hasn't been done in this sub-genre. The teleporting mechanics is the one thing that really stands out in my mind. If you are looking for something that will redefine the TD genre, this isn't it. If you are looking for a TD, and know what to expect, this is for you. Fans of the genre will definitely enjoy this as much as you can from any other TD that is on the market. The problem with Cubemen 2 is that it is entering a market of many TDs and limited evolution. Probably why this game is so empty, and not very unique in its own right.

• Multiplayer: As of this writing, I could not find a multiplayer match at all, and trying to connect to another player has not worked. I can't really comment on it, as it may be a really fun part of the game. I was lucky to find someone currently, probably as it is Sunday, otherwise multiplayer is dead. If you are looking to play multiplayer, be warned that you will need to bring your own friends if you want to have some fun in that regard.

p15CSDjl.jpg

• DLC: Probably the worst aspect of this game, and something that has left a sour taste in my mouth. Their store is filled with things such as themes of the environment, or skins for your "cubemen". Priced anywhere from $0.99 to $1.99. The DLC is not avaliable through Steam and is only available in-game, using Steam funds, so you cannot purchase it directly through CC or Paypal. I was really not happy to see how DLC happy this game has become, although I probably shouldn't be surprised, as every game is doing this. I guess for an indie developer I expected better.

Final Thoughts: I can't say I recommend it and I can't say I dont. It's a TD game, if you like the genre then it will be worth it to you. If you are looking for more than a single player experience (as multiplayer is a desert) then look elsewhere.

573gnwal.jpg

Wok

Hide parts of the codes in your posts and mix them up in a jumbled fashion. Whoever decrypts it gets it :p

You still have to tell people to quote your post to see the code. Otherwise, nobody is going to quote your post, right?

Quote for Metro 2033.

Originally Posted by Lord British: View Post
I want to give away some Steam codes but I want to do so in a fun, unique way. :I
Make a lottery and get the numbers from a random site. Bingo is great but is too much work.

Nillansan

Right, thanks.

Awesome, I'll be there day one, I hope that it does well on PC.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
20h until La-Mulana is unlocked

http://i.imgur.com/Dv6Xsqk.gif[IMG]

3 days until new batch of greenlight games

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VOpRUEd.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

The only thing that matters is that Metro Last Light will be available in a little bit more than a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom