• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluth54

After their successful kickstarter campaigns I wouldn't be surprised to see Dreamfall and Shovel Knight in the next batch of Greenlit games.

1-D_FTW

3 days until new batch of greenlight games

I'm hoping Assetto Corsa is in it, and if it's not, I'm guessing it's a hopeless cause.

I almost feel like e-mailing Gaben and asking him this: If Ferrari thinks enough of their sims to basically give away their Ferrari license based on respect of their ability, how is that not good enough to be a Steam product?

But, hey. Bring on Bad Rats 2!

KingKong

This is a pretty good stretch for Steam games, next 30 days

La Mulana
Dishonored DLC
Papo y Yo
Don't Starve
Monaco
Zeno Clash 2
Fez
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
Metro Last Light

+ all the unannounced stuff

I'm hoping Assetto Corsa is in it, and if it's not, I'm guessing it's a hopeless cause.

I almost feel like e-mailing Gaben and asking him this: If Ferrari thinks enough of their sims to basically give away their Ferrari license based on respect of their ability, how is that not good enough to be a Steam product?

Usual Valve approval process bullshit.

Pretty fun game. It had performance issues at launch though (it was incredibly heavy on even the best of systems and performed far below where it should have for the visual output) but it's possible this has been fixed since then. Small but dedicated community. It's a better Aliens vs Predator game than any of the officially licensed ones from the Aliens cosmology in the last 10+ years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Like all the shooter strategy hybrids (ala Savage, Nuclear Dawn, etc) Natural Selection 2 is entirely dependent on the quality of the people in your server. Unfortunately playing these types of games on public servers is just atrocious, but if you can get a group of people who know what their doing then it's really cool.

I need some help from other AMD users with HTPC.

I connected my PC to my TV and for some reason I'm getting black borders (only on my TV). Some guy told me it can probably get fixed through CCC but I have no idea how.

I have a HD 7870 and a LM7600. Thanks in advance.

ShaneB

I need some help from other AMD users with HTPC.

I connected my PC to my TV and for some reason I'm getting black borders (only on my TV). Some guy told me it can probably get fixed through CCC but I have no idea how.

I have a HD 7870 and a LM7600. Thanks in advance.

Even found a picture of it and everything. Flat Panel Display -> scaling options -> Change overscan to 0%.

ccc.png

NS2 is an asymmetric team based shooter that marries RTS-styled resource gathering, tech trees and building construction to the shooty-bang parts. The game has a tremendous learning curve. The commander of each team views the match from a top-down perspective, they direct the flow of combat, research new tech and build defensive structures. Everyone else views it from the standard first person perspective. Marines are ranged, standard fps gameplay while most alien classes are (mostly) melee and can skitter through vents, climb along walls or fly. Both teams fight for control over the map, each control point provides a specific resource required to research a specific tech or evolution. It's best to try and play the fps part first and not only learn the flow of each map but what resources are where.

Game has a small but dedicated community. It's worth reiterating that the learning curve is steep, when you first start to play you will in all likelihood do badly. But if you stick with it and can pub with some people who sorta know what they're doing, you can have some fun.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't one of the guys from that registry site said it wasn't happening?

He assessment that it's unlikely was based on there being no evidence of Steam achievements for the game (Valve's now plugged that hole) and the sub itself having not been updated in two months.

Grief.exe

He assessment that it's unlikely was based on there being no evidence of Steam achievements for the game (Valve's now plugged that hole) and the sub itself hasn't been updated in two months.

Valve fixing our ability to parse achievements means that they could have moved development over to an unknown test app and we would have no idea.

Or it might not happen at all.

Deadbeat

Banned
NS2 is an asymmetric team based shooter that marries RTS-styled resource gathering, tech trees and building construction to the shooty-bang parts. The game has a tremendous learning curve. The commander of each team views the match from a top-down perspective, they direct the flow of combat, research new tech and build defensive structures. Everyone else views it from the standard first person perspective. Marines are ranged, standard fps gameplay while most alien classes are (mostly) melee and can skitter through vents, climb along walls or fly. Both teams fight for control over the map, each control point provides a specific resource required to research a specific tech or evolution. It's best to try and play the fps part first and not only learn the flow of each map but what resources are where.

Game has a small but dedicated community. It's worth reiterating that the learning curve is steep, when you first start to play you will in all likelihood do badly. But if you stick with it and can pub with some people who sorta know what they're doing, you can have some fun.
The game has tutorial videos explaining everything.

If you cant handle that go follow this simple pattern:
1. Go marines.
2. Follow way points.
3. Shoot aliens.

HoosTrax

What's the deal with FONV? Is it more of a badwater, Borderlandsy setting? Can't decide whether to finally play it.

FO3 almost felt like more of a horror game to me. It was also kind of depressing wandering around fake DC and seeing little references to actual (renamed) real life locations.

My greatest regret is that I never played Portal 2's co-op, and when I finally got around to it all my friends have beat the puzzles already, so it just wouldn't be the same

:(

What's the deal with FONV? Is it more of a badwater, Borderlandsy setting? Can't decide whether to finally play it.

FO3 almost felt like more of a horror game to me. It was also kind of depressing wandering around fake DC and seeing little references to actual (renamed) real life locations.
If you liked 3 I would recommend starting up NV, I thought it was a vast improvement to it in all ways and actually stands as one of the best RPGs of the generation.

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone have any experience with the 360 wireless gaming receiver? Good, bad?

It's great 99% of the time but for some reasons some specific games (I can't remember any examples right now) won't support it. It is a different hardware if than the wired one so the devs need to support it. Obviously, when they add one they add both most of the time but there was some games that didn't work.

Blizzard

Banned
My greatest regret is that I never played Portal 2's co-op, and when I finally got around to it all my friends have beat the puzzles already, so it just wouldn't be the same

I played some of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light way back but didn't finish the game, but I got really lucky when I found a friend more recently who owned the game but hadn't played co-op. We went through it all in like two nights. Of course they'd beaten the game so they had every overpowered weapon in the game, but still, they hadn't done the puzzles in co-op. :p

Megasoum

Banned
I played some of Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light way back but didn't finish the game, but I got really lucky when I found a friend more recently who owned the game but hadn't played co-op. We went through it all in like two nights. Of course they'd beaten the game so they had every overpowered weapon in the game, but still, they hadn't done the puzzles in co-op. :p

I should download that game to see if I can still do 40min playthroughs lol.

I had the same problem. Having somebody getting the shits with you because you don't know exactly what to do straight away isn't much fun.

oipic

Works flawlessly and allows easy multiplayer in FIFA for example, without having 4 sets of wires tangling up.

I concur, RH. Bought an imitation wireless receiver from DealExtreme for ~$10, and it has never missed a beat.

It may have taken a bit of fiddling about initially to get the official Microsoft drivers installed and working correctly with it (more a Win7 thing than anything else, I think), but I'm yet to come across a game that hasn't correctly recognised it. Works flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom