• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsen

Grief.exe

Because they skipped sales on Steam where they keep the majority of the revenue.

Instead opting to go straight for the Humble Bundle. Where they split the revenue and sell each copy for a significantly reduced price, with the advantage being sheer amount of sales.

dani_dc

Technically, it was an Indie Bundle on Steam during one of the sales (I think Thanks giving), not a Humble bundle.

While it might have been too soon, it also gave them a lot of costumers and word of mouth that might not have picked it up otherwise.
Those bundles happened when "Indie bundles" weren't a thing yet, so I think the title gained from that.

Don't think they were referring to the Humble Bundle specifically, it was some 5 for $5 Steam indie compilation deal. A Humble Bundle deal might've netted them more, though the logic of dropping an in-demand $20 game so soon after release still stands.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's hilarious but I think using f*ggot even in the sarcastic humorous way is not allowed.

also I kinda wish my brother hadn't told me the optimal numbers of sell/buy for recettear, totally ruined the guessing game for me.

I'm aware of Recettear, but it's not my kind of RPG.

I didn't know about the developer preemptively discounting it though.

If I ever see that graphic again, it'll be too soon, Grief.

that's hilarious but I think using f*ggot even in the sarcastic humorous way is not allowed.

also I kinda wish my brother hadn't told me the optimal numbers of sell/buy for recettear, totally ruined the guessing game for me.

Something something you don't get ahead in capitalism by playing fairly something something.

Nabs

thx

anyway, it looks like re: revelations is going to have a demo. i hope it's better than the re6 "benchmark".

iavi

thx

anyway, it looks like re: revelations is going to have a demo. i hope it's better than the re6 "benchmark".

If it runs worse than that benchmark performance wise, Capcom got issues.

Luckily RE6 proper was optimized as it should have been.

KOFXIII is getting some action. It's small, but it might be worth keeping track of. MK9 has peaked at 27 users.

Yeah, I was looking at the MK9 numbers early. We basically have the release date in that Amazon listing, so it's not even really a guessing game anymore.

I'm glad to see KOF get some action as the registry entry hadn't been updated in two weeks.

Nabs

If it runs worse than that benchmark performance wise, Capcom got issues.

Luckily RE6 proper was optimized as it should have been.

Yeah, they made a mistake by calling it a benchmark. It's more like a stress test.

Yeah, I was looking at the MK9 numbers early. We basically have the release date in that Amazon listing, so it's not even really a guessing game anymore.

I'm glad to see KOF get some action as the registry entry hadn't been updated in two weeks.

I grew up on MK, so I'm kind of excited for this. I just want that official announcement.

Caerith

So is there a way to prevent morons to invade your game and troll you non stop?
You can only be invaded by people your level or lower, so don't level more than you need to. Generally speaking, souls are better spent upgrading your weapons than they are upgrading your stats.

Also, most trolling morons will stick to invading in the Undead Burgh, because people there can't defend themselves. You don't have pyromancy yet, you didn't upgrade your weapons yet, you're still learning how to play, etc. After the Depths, when you actually start to become dangerous, you stop getting chickenhawks.

Just, as a word of advice, be careful about some of the invading trolls. They may try to bait you into hitting a blacksmith or, in the Depths, into killing the NPC you learn pyromancy from. Never fight where you don't know the terrain.

Oh, and this thread is probably the place for Dark Souls advice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Because it was too soon, devalued the game and likely lost them a lot of potential income. Even back then people were really surprised that they would do a HB 2,5 months after release. Also because a lot of people thought about it like this:

RECETTEAR ONLY $4.99 TODAY with extra games

edit: Wasn't a humble bundle, it was the "Indie story pack" on Steam, here's the dev's take on it:

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=9

I skimmed through this post and thought it was on sale today. :(

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm zeno clash is weird. can't say I like it, but the aesthetic is pretty cool.

it's also like the second game you start with a girlfriend already. I find that suits games a lot better.

characters falling in love in a game is usually so lame

Arthea

I've bought Tidalis yesterday
http://store.steampowered.com/app/40420/

I was expecting more of a Tetris, got something different, not bad actually, but Tetris still is better. Planning moves is kinda harder in Tidalis though. Looks nice, clean and simple.
I like checking on all kinds of tetris like games. This one is more like bejeweled, still different enough.
I can recommend this for anybody wants something to play in short bursts without much investment or dedication.
Story mode doesn't make much sense so far too (><)

Deques

Looks like the developers of the ORION games are still closing threads and banning users for complaining their broken game

kafiend

Hey guys. So I came across this amazing game that needs to be Greenlight. Let's help make it happen.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136969358

It looks amazing. Castlevania-esque, but random levels and each time you die, you get a new character with new characteristic, such as dwarfism or irritable bowels.

This just reads like an advert created by someone pretending not to have any links to the game. Like the robot I am, duly repeating it.

JaseC

Apparently, Bethesda has forgotten to Aussie Tax The Other Side of the Coin The Knife of Dunwall: it's $10 on Steam but $15 over at GamersGate. I'll also take this opportunity to remind everybody that for two more days and some change you can get it for $8 using the GMG discount code GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA.

And on a completely unrelated note, I finally got around to seeing The Host today. Saoirse aside I didn't care much for it, though I had expected that.

Looks like the developers of the ORION games are still closing threads and banning users for complaining their broken game

Stay classy, San Diego Spiral.

oipic

I think I've read the (chuckle-worthy) La-Mulana manual in its entirety three times now, such is my excitement and anticipation etc as we wait for keys. Not sure why, it's going to kick my arse, I'm sure. Yes, I'm one of those too intimidated by Dark Souls to return to it.

And on a completely unrelated note, I finally got around to seeing The Host today. Saoirse aside I didn't care much for it, though I had expected as much.

Which prompts me say that I am staggered, on an almost daily basis, by your ability to be ever-present on (at least) two busy forums, Jase, and to contribute so strongly to boot. Your energy knows no bounds, and you collect quality posts like you do games. Respect.

water1111

Banned
did grief post naughty pics anderston cooper to get banned or what?

Back on topic, i,ve started playing TR1 on steam and uh the graphics are quite blockly and err I killed a T-rex! Pretty good game tho.

JaseC

Which prompts me say that I am staggered, on an almost daily basis, by your ability to be ever-present on (at least) two busy forums, Jase, and to contribute so strongly to boot. Your energy knows no bounds, and you collect quality posts like you do games. Respect.

I stopped posting on WP completely when my GAF account was activated, but that changed in recent months as I've been closely following the fibre rollout now that my area is slowly but surely getting done (the forum is largely focused on broadband). I have a ton of posts recently because I've been complaining about the Ready for Service date being pushed back again to the end of next year. If I ever see a Syntheo worker actually doing something around here I might just give him a friendly punch in the face. I'm sure he'll understand. :p

how nice of grief to ban himself

Have you finished the Dishonored DLC yet? Would you say it's worth $8?

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah I was just thinking that I'd be incapable of being active on any other forums

gaf alone takes way too much time

Ledsen

I think I've read the (chuckle-worthy) La-Mulana manual in its entirety three times now, such is my excitement and anticipation etc as we wait for keys. Not sure why, it's going to kick my arse, I'm sure. Yes, I'm one of those too intimidated by Dark Souls to return to it.

Wait, is the Steam key the only way to access the game? Don't you already have it via direct download?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom