• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My credit card statement for last month tells me:

Steam
Humble Bundle
IndieGala
IndieGala

RaspberryPi Fundation (codec licences for my Pi)
Steam
Ebay (usb cables, I think)
Flirc (ir receiver for the Pi)
Netflix
IndieGameStand
Humble Bundle

eBay (different cables)
GreenManGaming
HumbleBundle
Steam

eBay
Steam

I.... I might have a problem.
not buying enough games!

Sober

My credit card statement for last month tells me:

Steam
Humble Bundle
IndieGala
IndieGala

RaspberryPi Fundation (codec licences for my Pi)
Steam
Ebay (usb cables, I think)
Flirc (ir receiver for the Pi)
Netflix
IndieGameStand
Humble Bundle

eBay (different cables)
GreenManGaming
HumbleBundle
Steam

eBay
Steam

I.... I might have a problem.
not buying enough games!
It's okay, I don't spend money on anything else either!

Cheddahz

Banned
Would anybody here be interested in playing RE5 in the near future? I have the game in my Steam library, but I've hold off from playing it due to a lack of a co-op partner

jediyoshi

Would anybody here be interested in playing RE5 in the near future? I have the game in my Steam library, but I've hold off from playing it due to a lack of a co-op partner

I'd still try it out solo for a bit, having to rely on someone being able to revive you as opposed to your partner being guaranteed to live might make the strain of learning the game's controls easier.

GAMERG0D

Weirdly enough, the package that was once listed as Naruto in the registry has it's releasestate set to 'released'

http://steamdb.info/sub/26350/

Does that even mean anything?

Lords of Shadow's package was also last updated today, so progress is still being made there. And Mortal Kombat actually has people playing it online, so that can't be far off at all.

Halo hasn't been updated in months, and wasn't all that extensive an entry to begin with. I really doubt it's coming.
FFVII and VIII haven't been updated in weeks, I'm starting to get worried.

It seems that Steam DB has a forum now.

FloatOn

In a random moment of clarity I beat the zone 1 boss of the first bit trip runner.

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty rough.

Megasoum

Banned
Just killed the Taurus Demon (feelsgood.gif), got to the next bonfire and upgraded a bunch...yeah ok I'm starting to get Dark Souls lol.

Sober

Wait until you reach 3-9. That's actually a rite of passage in some cultures.
I don't remember if I even got to 3-9, or 3-11 for that matter. I kinda want to go back and finish it but it's been ages. The game will DESTROY me if I just try to pick it up again.

Sober

Ahhh right... And if you unhallow you go back hallow the next time you die?
Pretty much. As long as you are hallow you are playing "online", for the lack of a better term (or at least how I understand it). Really only unhallow if you plan on kindling, or you need a summon or something for a boss.

^^ I guess that might work

Khronico

I just realized yesterday that I had a copy of FTL in my backlog from last christmas sale. I feel horrible for not playing it sooner, this game is amazing!

Megasoum

Banned
Go human if you need help on bosses. You'll see all the summoning signs in the area while human. This being a souls game, getting access to what amounts to easy mode (bosses are clearly not designed for multiple targets) means opening yourself up to the wrath of the unwashed trolling masses with insane gear as well. Move quick and its not a huge problem. And if you do get invaded, if you have other players with you on your side you have a much better chance of surviving. I suck at PvP but turtling with good armor on so my Pyromancer friend could light up an invader was a good way to stay safe.

Ok thx for the info. So, even if being hollow gives you big buffs for the drop rates and defense and stuff it's still not worth it?

Ok thx for the info. So, even if being hollow gives you big buffs for the drop rates and defense and stuff it's still not worth it?
The only difference between hollow and unhollow form is being able to summon and get invaded in one and not the other. Your drop rate and defense bonus comes from your used humanity counter that you can see on the top left, which you can accrue regardless.

Megasoum

Banned
The only difference between hollow and unhollow form is being able to summon and get invaded in one and not the other. Your drop rate and defense bonus comes from your used humanity counter that you can see on the top left, which you can accrue regardless.

that's not being hollow

that is having humanity in your counter.

Ahhhh right right I get it now... Thanks! Now that make sense.

Blizzard

Banned
I was tempted to get Starseed Pilgrim, and also sort of tempted to get La Mulana even though the graphics and gameplay etc. never looked appealing to me, but I heard good things.

And then I watched the Steam store page trailer for La Mulana and I HATE the tutorial character voice effect. That horrible horrible sound, combined with the dissonant music, combined with the sideways mouth, auuuuugh.

justjim89

Gah, I just bought Knife of Dunwall and La Mulana and now I don't know which to play first. Knife of Dunwall seems like something I can get through in a sitting or two and then clear out the hard drive space, while I know La Mulana is more about exploring and difficulty. So it'd probably be smarter to do Knife of Dunwall first.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember if I even got to 3-9, or 3-11 for that matter. I kinda want to go back and finish it but it's been ages. The game will DESTROY me if I just try to pick it up again.
Do it. It's hard, but not impossible. And if a level gives you too much trouble, try watching a playthrough on Youtube. You may learn a tip or two.

ugh. I can only take this game in short bursts. it's bad for my blood pressure and I'm only 30
The sequel is MUCH easier. There's not a single level where I thought "I'll never finish this", as opposed to every X-11 level on the first one (and 3-9, which still gives me nightmares). Mind you, I haven't played it on Hard yet, but according to many GAFfers it's still easy enough.

Ledsen

The smart thing to do to maximize earnings would be

Release
3 months - 50% off
3 months - 66% off
3 months - 75% off or Humble Bundle, depending on your revenue potential.

I think the reason we don't see companies do this is twofold. Inexperience and needing money right away.

I'm sure the reason Hitbox bundled was they saw the revenue potential and needed the money quickly.
The Humble Bundle is probably relatively liquid, while with Valve you would have to wait months to get a sale slot.

Something like Reccetear would most likely be inexperience, but Hitbox's decision could be attributed to that as well.

Either way, I cant wait for Spire.

and Fez....and Dust..but those are different Indie Devs

I've seen the Reccetear developer lament the decision to go Humble Bundle Steam bundle quite a few times here on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom