• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassu

Banned
Does someone want Dreamcast Collection or Jet Set Radio? Bought that Amazon bundle and already had those.

Edit: Apparently Dreamcast Collection doesn't activate on Steam, sorry about that
Edit 2: JSR taken

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it a bad thing that I'm not really enjoying Bioshock (the first one)? I'm just not having fun with the game...I'm not saying it's a bad game or anything, it's just not my cup of tea
I didn't enjoy it either. The setting and atmosphete are fantastic, but that's it. As a game, it feels horrible.

Reminds me how terrible Binary Domain was.
This is a game where I really recommend playing on mute and without subtitles, that way it will be MUCH better.

*remembers the slow walking sections*

...or maybe not. Guess this game is beyond any possible redemption.

I didn't enjoy it either. The setting and atmosphete are fantastic, but that's it. As a game, it feels horrible.
Hold on a second, you are taking more or less an artistic license here to make the statement more impactful. "Horrible", how so? I really like to hear this because even compared to most shooters Bioshock 1 has quite a bit of depth to it's gameplay, it's really diverse.
Has Witcher 2 gone on a lower price?
On Steam? Well at least this is the lower i've seen it. GoG had it for a few dollars less but you shouldn't be pinching pennies with the Witcher 2. One of the best RPG's in recent years and has always been worth it of a full price tag. So go ahead.

I liked the bosses I fought in Binary Domain, but the in-between gameplay left me really cold. The GAF hype for it is completely nuts, in my opinion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hold on a second, you are taking more or less an artistic license here to make the statement more impactful. "Horrible", how so? I really like to hear this because even compared to most shooters Bioshock 1 has quite a bit of depth to it's gameplay, it's really diverse.
OK: The weapons feel weak, you never know if you're hitting somebody or just firing into the air, the powers aren't fun to use (it should take a lesson with Jedi Outcast), the respawning enemies are a cheap way of making you waste time, you never have enough ammo for anything, the hacking minigame is boring and repetitive and monotonous.

For a game that starts so strong, it's a shame that they forgot all about the "game" part. I'm not asking for F.E.A.R.-like shooting mechanics; I'd be glad with at least Medal of Honor:AA ones. Hell, even the aforementioned Jedi Knight II has much better shooting that this, and that's supposed to be a lightsaber combat game, mind you.

Moobabe

I got a whole mess of Steam credit - what's worth picking up:

Papo & Yo
Monaco
Starseed Pilgrim
La Mulana
Baldur's Gate: EE
Anodyne

I can afford to pick up a couple, maybe three, but I'm wondering what's good and what's not.

KingKong

Papo & Yo
Monaco
Starseed Pilgrim
La Mulana
Anodyne

I can afford to pick up a couple, maybe three, but I'm wondering what's good and what's not.

La Mulana and Monaco for sure

Papo & Yo
Monaco
Starseed Pilgrim
La Mulana
Anodyne

I loved Anodyne and I'm loving La Mulana right now (it's not as hard as people say, you just have to figure most things by yourself), I don't think you can go wrong with them.

Moobabe

I loved Anodyne and I'm loving La Mulana right now (it's not as hard as people say, you just have to figure most things by yourself), I don't think you can go wrong with them.

La Mulana and Monaco for sure

I've really enjoyed Starseed Pilgrim but it's definitely not for everyone.

Same with La Mulana too I guess.

I think my two definite picks were La Mulana and Monaco (been hyped for ages) - Anodyne might just be cheap enough to pick up on a whim as well.. Thanks guys.

Wok

I think my two definite picks were La Mulana and Monaco (been hyped for ages) - Anodyne might just be cheap enough to pick up on a whim as well.. Thanks guys.

Yeah, but Monaco is cheaper with a 4-pack, so I don't know. Sometimes, the game is just worth the price.

OK: The weapons feel weak, you never know if you're hitting somebody or just firing into the air, the powers aren't fun to use (it should take a lesson with Jedi Outcast), the respawning enemies are a cheap way of making you waste time, you never have enough ammo for anything, the hacking minigame is boring and repetitive and monotonous.

For a game that starts so strong, it's a shame that they forgot all about the "game" part. I'm not asking for F.E.A.R.-like shooting mechanics; I'd be glad with at least Medal of Honor:AA ones. Hell, even the aforementioned Jedi Knight II has much better shooting that this, and that's supposed to be a lightsaber combat game, mind you.
Apreciate the more descriptive answer Rio (^o^)>

Still think you are been a bit dramatic here. How did you play the game? I ask because some of the complains you share here might be due to play style instead of something inherent to the game. To tackle some of the points, im not saying im absolutly right. Now, with that out of the way:

-Weapons start weak because they are supposed to be upgraded, fully upgraded RL and Shotgun have really nice audio visual feedback.

-The ammount of ammo is a balance issue, a player doing plenty of looting should have it in abundance. BUt maybe that's not your thing.

-The powers aren't fun? Ok, that you think Jedi Outcast does a better job doesn't rest merit to plasmids, the execution was well done. Doing combos with traps and powers, witnessing bodies and objects bouncing everywhere was quite impressive. Very few games, specially in FPS have this type of mechanics.

Probably you were exposed to excesive hype before experiencing the game and came dissapointed with it, that might be an explanation. Did you played near release of some years after? The thing that hasn't aged well at all in the game are the NPC models. They are horrible and clash too much with the rest of the visual package.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If I owned Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts on a standalone DVD but have the base game and Tales of Valor on Steam, is there any way to register that standalone copy so I get it when I launch the "New Steam Version" game? Before it went Steamworks it would sort of work on good days a tenth of the time and I'd have all the expansions at the same time.

You'll have to pick up Opposing Fronts on the cheap when it goes on sale, which I assume will happen at some point prior to the release of CoH 2. Edit: You can register your OF key on Steam.

Origin and EA are such a piece of shit. I bought FIFA 13 from Amazon and I haven't been able to play the game.

First because it crashed at start. I read online it was because my PC's name had an accent (LOL really?) so I changed it. I can run it now but It won't save my profile... because my user's name has an accent (for fuck's sake).

I've been trying to fix this for like an hour and I still haven't been able to play a single match.

Fuck you EA, I'm buying PES 2014 for Steam next year.

Megasoum

Banned
Origin and EA are such a piece of shit. I bought FIFA 13 from Amazon and I haven't been able to play the game.

First because it crashed at start. I read online it was because my PC's name had an accent (LOL really?) so I changed it. I can run it now but It won't save my profile... because my user's name has an accent (for fuck's sake).

I've been trying to fix this for like an hour and I still haven't been able to play a single match.

It's a stupid bug for a game to have and shame on EA for not fixing it when it went through QA but how is it Origin's fault?

Serves you right for having an accent in your name.

joking!

didamangi

Same problem, only difference is I changed my pc's name but it still stuck on the first startup screen. Have tried all the suggestion I can find online and it still doesn't run.

DSmalls84

I have 2 copies of Dawn of War II Retribution in my inventory from my COH II preorder. Did everyone get this and are they both copies of the full game? I want to trade them but I'm not sure if one copy is just dlc or something.

Hanzou

You'll have to pick up Opposing Fronts on the cheap when it goes on sale, which I assume will happen at some point prior to the release of CoH 2.
It was my understanding that you could just throw the key into steam and it would register the steam version of it for you. Could be wrong though.

I have 2 copies of Dawn of War II Retribution in my inventory from my COH II preorder. Did everyone get this and are they both copies of the full game? I want to trade them but I'm not sure if one copy is just dlc or something.

Shit, I preordered the exclusive edition of CoH II and I still didn't get Dawn of War 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Retribution was one of the pre-purchase rewards. The description will tell you if one of them is DLC, but if you actually have two copies of the game my guess would be that the second tier was reached, one was added to your inventory, and then Sega backfilled the rewards prior to yanking them, adding another copy.

It was my understanding that you could just throw the key into steam and it would register the steam version of it for you. Could be wrong though.

Seems you're right (the CoH forums are dead at the moment). I didn't realise the keys were retroactively made Steam-redeemable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom