• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
How the hell do you play surgeon simulator, I've spent the last 10 minutes tying to get grab the bone-saw to no avail.

Don't even bother with the saw unless you want to murder the dude. Use the hammer to mash up his bones without causing any major bleeding, then let the scalpel do the rest. The scalpel is god-tier.

Also, the best thing to remember is that the blue syringe will stop bleeding. That makes surgery really easy unless you're a spaz. I stab it into his forehead.

Retribution was one of the pre-purchase rewards. The description will tell you if one of them is DLC, but if you actually have two copies of the game my guess would be that the second tier was reached, one was added to your inventory, and then Sega backfilled the rewards prior to yanking them, adding another copy.

Seems you're right (the CoH forums are dead at the moment). I didn't realise the keys were retroactively made Steam-redeemable.

Did you get the DoW extra? I preordered the game before Sega bought THQ and DoW was included as a bonus for one of the tiers but I never received it.

MRORANGE

like this:

Don't even bother with the saw unless you want to murder the dude. Use the hammer to mash up his bones without causing any major bleeding, then let the scalpel do the rest. The scalpel is god-tier.

Also, the best thing to remember is that the blue syringe will stop bleeding. That makes surgery really easy unless you're a spaz. I stab it into his forehead.

The problem is that it's almost fucking impossible to grab anything that does anything that will do a decent job of breaking the rib cage without hurting him, I'll try the hammer.

jediyoshi

First legend of grimrock 2 shot

forest_1080p-1024x576.jpg
http://www.grimrock.net/2013/03/26/the-first-official-legend-of-grimrock-2-screenshot/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did you get the DoW extra? I preordered the game before Sega bought THQ and DoW was included as a bonus for one of the tiers but I never received it.

Nah, I pre-ordered the game just the other day, which proved to be a messy situation as Sega then brought back the DDE (the ability to purchase should have been removed entirely until both editions were again available).

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just played a couple stages of Duke Nukem 3D and it made me incredibly ill. Can't remember the last time a first-person shooter made me nauseous, even a little. Sucks. I wanted to shotgun some more strippers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Seems you're right (the CoH forums are dead at the moment). I didn't realise the keys were retroactively made Steam-redeemable.

you know what's pretty cool? If I understood all of this correctly, I have two extra copies of Company of Heroes complete (one from the Original CoH, one from opposing Fronts) sitting in a drawer.

I bought them when they first came out. Tales of Valor, the last expansion, I bought on Steam (because it was made available there along with the boxed copies). Since your profile on the Relic Server was what mattered, I had my two boxed keys plus the Tales of Valor from Steam assigned to it.

After a while, I bought the two missing games from the CoH franchise for cheap on Steam, got new keys for them and never used them (because my profile already had them from the boxed versions). And since the original servers went offline, my profile (with the two original boxed versions assigned to them) no longer exists, so which keys are assigned to said profile is no longer a factor.

What would happen if I gave away the key for the Original Company of Heroes to somebody and the key for Opposing Fronts to somebody else? Would both these users, with different accounts, get Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)?

Deques

you know what's pretty cool? If I understood all of this correctly, I have two extra copies of Company of Heroes complete (one from the Original CoH, one from opposing Fronts) sitting in a drawer.

I bought them when they first came out. Tales of Valor, the last expansion, I bought on Steam (because it was made available there along with the boxed copies). Since your profile on the Relic Server was what mattered, I had my two boxed keys plus the Tales of Valor from Steam assigned to it.

After a while, I bought the two missing games from the CoH franchise for cheap on Steam, got new keys for them and never used them (because my profile already had them from the boxed versions). And since the original servers went offline, my profile (with the two original boxed versions assigned to them) no longer exists, so which keys are assigned to said profile is no longer a factor.

What would happen if I gave away the key for the Original Company of Heroes to somebody and the key for Opposing Fronts to somebody else? Would both these users, with different accounts, get Company of Heroes (New Steam Version)?

I can help you answer that if you give both to me :)

The steam page doesnt mention that Opposing Fronts requires the base game. I guess it would work if you gave the keys to different users

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I can help you answer that if you give both to me :)

The steam page doesnt mention that Opposing Fronts requires the base game. I guess it would work if you gave the keys to different users

It doesn't, no expansion requires the base game.

But, if I understood correctly, there's no distinction anymore. Company of Heroes [New Steam Version] is all the games and expansions, isn't it?

JaseC

It doesn't, no expansion requires the base game.

But, if I understood correctly, there's no distinction anymore. Company of Heroes [New Steam Version] is all the games and expansions, isn't it?

It's all three games rolled into the one library entry, but you'll still need to have them registered to your account, either by purchasing through Steam or registering the keys separately:

Instructions for transferring your game to the Steamworks servers are below:

1. Download and install Steam which is located here - http://store.steampowered.com/
2. Launch Steam and create Steam account (if you do not have one)
3. Sign into Steam account
4. Select “Activate a Product On Steam” from the “Games” menu
5. Enter your Company of Heroes CD-Key in the resulting menu
6. Repeat for the Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor expansion packs

7. If you do not have your original Company of Heroes CD-Key we will be releasing a tool that will allow you to retrieve that from your account later in April.

----------

jasec wasn't wrong to call KR0 lynchian.

really liked it, hope ep 2 comes along quick.

The game's Steam page says that Act II will be released "around April", so I'm hoping it's no more than a few weeks away.

zkylon

zkylewd
Man, I really need to get this. I'm doing an independent study on Lynch next semester, so maybe I'll use that to justify getting it.

It looks so good.
basically it has that dreamlike eerie thing of people talking criptic shit and fading in and out of existence and whatnot.

though if you're gonna get on a whole semester of watching lynch flicks you probably have enough on your plate.

The problem is that it's almost fucking impossible to grab anything that does anything that will do a decent job of breaking the rib cage without hurting him, I'll try the hammer.

Don't use the hammer, these people are trying to turn you into a murderer. For rib cage removal you want to use the small circular saw tool. Cut each rib as close to the side of the body as you can (should take about 1-2 seconds of holding the tool on the rib) and lift the cage out as one solid chunk. No mess, no bleeding. The choice of champions.

Bluth54

I really like seeing Company of Heroes being re-released as a Steamworks game. I would love to see it with some other games, specifically getting rid of Games for Windows Live in Fallout 3 and the Batman games (and adding Steamworks to Arkham Asylum).

I got The Witcher 2, but I seem to be getting weird lag/stutter with Geralt running animation. Everything else seems to run perfectly, when he is walking it is smooth, its only the running animation that is messing with me.

i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
6GB
GeForce GTX 660

JaseC

I got The Witcher 2, but I seem to be getting weird lag/stutter with Geralt running animation. Everything else seems to run perfectly, when he is walking it is smooth, its only the running animation that is messing with me.

i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz
6GB
GeForce GTX 660

Try verifying the cache. When I installed The Witcher 2 last year, Steam somehow managed to send through v1.0 instead of the latest build, though I didn't notice until I reached Flotsam and later discovered the Troll Trouble mission wasn't available.

Edit: Oh, and of course update your Nvidia drivers if you haven't already.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Apreciate the more descriptive answer Rio (^o^)>

Still think you are been a bit dramatic here. How did you play the game? I ask because some of the complains you share here might be due to play style instead of something inherent to the game. To tackle some of the points, im not saying im absolutly right. Now, with that out of the way:

-Weapons start weak because they are supposed to be upgraded, fully upgraded RL and Shotgun have really nice audio visual feedback.

-The ammount of ammo is a balance issue, a player doing plenty of looting should have it in abundance. BUt maybe that's not your thing.

-The powers aren't fun? Ok, that you think Jedi Outcast does a better job doesn't rest merit to plasmids, the execution was well done. Doing combos with traps and powers, witnessing bodies and objects bouncing everywhere was quite impressive. Very few games, specially in FPS have this type of mechanics.

Probably you were exposed to excesive hype before experiencing the game and came dissapointed with it, that might be an explanation. Did you played near release of some years after? The thing that hasn't aged well at all in the game are the NPC models. They are horrible and clash too much with the rest of the visual package.
No problem, my first post was useless without arguments to back it up, I admit it.

I think I played on the highest difficulty, which made me run out of ammo (or pretty close to) very often. I don't know exactly what was the matter with the powers, they just didn't feel right at all. I had no idea about upgrading the weapons, but I only played for 2 hours before deciding I wasn't enjoying it at all.

You're spot on about the hype. I played it early this year, after several years of hearing it was the best thing ever made by man (OK, exaggerating a little here). I though this would be amazing, and the only thing that was blown were the 10 bucks I paid for it (and the sequel, which I got on the same pack). To me, the graphics were fine, nice even. The problem was the gameplay. I'm being totally serious now: I feel the original Deus Ex, to give you an example, aged MUCH better in that department (and any other but graphics, really) than BioShock. And I also played that game for the first time less than 5 months ago. BS was no fun to me, and gave me no reason to keep playing.

Nabs

The major Street Fighter X Tekken patch went out today (v.2013). It only took 'em 4 months! I wonder if Capcom will promote it at all this week.

JaseC

The major Street Fighter X Tekken patch went out today (v.2013). It only took 'em 4 months! I wonder if Capcom will promote it at all this week.

I hope so; I want to pick up all the individual gem packs and costumes at half off.

Deques

Oh, maybe a few of my friends can get it.

Is there anyone else who wants to be pwned by me?

For that one person who's into horror games but still hasn't played Condemned somehow, now's your chance. It was the best horror game before Amnesia blew up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You know what's super lame? Condemned 2 isn't even on Games on Demand on 360 as far as I can tell. I'm not paying 30$ for a new copy and I don't buy used shit.

You sure? There was a 6MB update but the actual patch is about 800MB. I think it was probably getting something ready for the patch and we'll probably see it tomorrow with a sale or something.

KNT-Zero

SEGA seems to have gone on some huge sale on GamersGate for Earth Day. A few notable sales:

NiGHTS into Dreams for $3.40: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-NIGHTS/nights-into-dreams
Condemned: Criminal Origins for $5.08: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-COND/condemned-criminal-origins
Sonic CD for $1.70: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SONICCD/sonic-cd

Though there's other deals as well.

Getting Nights when it was 75% discounted feels good :p

Also The Cave is very tempting at £3.40 (66%)

You sure? There was a 6MB update but the actual patch is about 800MB. I think it was probably getting something ready for the patch and we'll probably see it tomorrow with a sale or something.

I stand corrected, just been throwing rolls and such so it is 2013. Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom