• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So it sounds like you have Xpand Rally, but not GTI Racing? I thought those two were always sold together.

Xpand Rally came bundled with my 7900GS way back when. It's not on the list, unfortunately... though even if it were, I doubt I could find the thing.

Genuine question, are you trying to collect every game?

To the extent I can, yeah.

So here's a noob-tastic question: I ordered Saints Row The Third on Amazon, the physical copy was cheaper than the download. They sent me the PAL version for some reason. Is this going to

a) Work on my US computer and
b) Even work when registering with Steam?

So here's a noob-tastic question: I ordered Saints Row The Third on Amazon, the physical copy was cheaper than the download. They sent me the PAL version for some reason. Is this going to

a) Work on my US computer and
b) Even work when registering with Steam?

A PAL version? Are you sure you bought a PC game?

JaseC

A PAL version? Are you sure you bought a PC game?

He probably just means that the cover has a PEGI logo on it.

Edit: Beaten.

Well, it says PEGI 18 on it so I assume its PAL. That was part of why I asked. I didn't think it was an issue but I figured I'd make sure considering I've been a PC gamer for about a month now. :p

It should register just fine; there's only one sub for retail keys.

Well, it says PEGI 18 on it so I assume its PAL. That was part of why I asked. I didn't think it was an issue but I figured I'd make sure considering I've been a PC gamer for about a month now. :p

There is no PAL or NTSC for PC games. If it is a PC game you will have your steam key, since Saints Row the Third use Steamworks.

Is don't Starve really worth £10? It played the free version and it didn't seem like it had the ability to be worth that much.

EDIT: Says a guy who bought Surgeon Simulator 2013. :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Looking through Valve's rarely-updated retail key list, there are two games listed that I don't have and are no longer available on the Steam Store: GTI Racing and Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009. I can import a German retail version of the former via eBay for around $13, but Beamdog is selling it for $4.99 so I'll ask if it comes with a key (doubtful); the latter is just a rebranded Football Manager 2009, and thus far I've only come across two unused copies: one a CD key from a questionable site and the other a retail copy being sold by a business in Sydney (which is weird as WSM was for a brief time the North American moniker for the FM series), but both are north of $20 so I'll probably just wait until a quite week as far as Steam deals are concerned.
The key word here is: WHY?

I'm starting to get worried at this point. I know this is going to sound hard, but you NEED an intervention. We still love you Jase, but you have a problem with Steam and we want to help you.

HAHAHA this made my day. Thank you very much sir!

JaseC

There is no PAL or NTSC for PC games. If it is a PC game you will have your steam key, since Saints Row the Third use Steamworks.

Publishers can region-restrict keys (e.g. Amazon's Inversion keys won't activate without a VPN if you're outside North America), so retail copies being in a similar situation, although unprecedented (at least as far as Steam is concerned) and rather ridiculous, isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

The key word here is: WHY?

Counter-question: Why not? ;)

Publishers can region-restrict keys (e.g. Amazon's Inversion keys won't activate without a VPN if you're outside North America), so retail copies being in a similar situation, although unprecedented (at least as far as Steam is concerned) and rather ridiculous, isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Counter-question: Why not?

Yeah that's why I tried to specify that I'm talking about Saints Row the Third PC game.
Also, don't give up, unless you have monetary problems.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

There can be restrictions with PC games that require keys, as JaseC pointed out. It can be especially worrying if the key is for Germany, as it will usually give you a low-violence version of the game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The comprehensiveness of the site is astounding. They have fucking Dead Space nudemods, for fucks sake.
Though they do cheat and don't make Isaac nude.
Do they have a... Twinsen's Odyssey nude mod? I'd like to see those elephants naked.

Counter-question: Why not?
Quickly, someone call 911, we're about to lose him!

It will work, but to play online you'll need to pay for Steam Gold.

JaseC

Yeah that's why I tried to specify that I'm talking about Saints Row the Third PC game.

Yeah, I just thought I'd address the matter more broadly.

Also, don't give up, unless you have monetary problems.

I'm sure the bank would approve a second loan on my park bench!

There can be restrictions with PC games that require keys, as JaseC pointed out. It can be especially worrying if the key is for Germany, as it will usually give you a low-violence version of the game.

Also a good point.

Quickly, someone call 911, we're about to lose him!

I can't die, I haven't met Saoirse yet! At which point I'll literally swoon into a coma. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I just thought I'd address the matter more broadly.

I'm sure the bank would approve a second loan on my park bench!

Also a good point.

I can't die, I haven't met Saoirse yet! At which point I'll literally swoon into a coma. :p
Saoirse or a Valve employee Steam account? You must choose only one.

As a talking towel once said, "I choose... I choose... both!"

Don't tell JaseC that all that money spent on Steam games could easily buy a trip to Ireland and living in a tent for some months in front of Saoirse's home.

Before this gets too off-topic:
Chivalry is on sale at GMG for $6.80 with voucher " GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA ".

zkylon

zkylewd
I just mean it's linear in the sense that it's rewarding you for something that you HAVE to do. You're going to do it no matter what. It may be randomly generated, but it's pretty much thanking you for playing the game this long lol.
yeah, pretty much.

it's pretty silly because you just grab a random piece of loot and you get like 3 achievements and you barely even get time to read what they say.

I imagine an hour down the line and I won't be getting showered with achievements anymore, but it feels condescending, like you're being told YOU GRABBED SOME LOOT HERE HAVE THESE CHEEVOS YOU'RE A GREAT PLAYERRRR TY VERY MUCH

the game has 211 achievements, so I have a lot of thank yous ahead of me

HoosTrax

a valley without wind 2 just bombards you with achievements. I got 28 playing it for the last half hour

game is alright, I guess? it has a whole bunch of 'stuff' that's intriguing, and it's moderately deep so it's entertaining for the time being, but the art style is just... uh...

it's also pretty confusing in a lot of unexplained things.

seems like a curiosity I'll eventually drop.
The game is a giant mishmash of ideas. And it doesn't all feel entirely cohesive or well-explained. The story doesn't come together in a compelling way.

The art is a bit of a turn-off as well -- the graphics look like they were made of layers of 2D paper cutouts.

I always wanted to get into the first valley. It seemed cool enough. But I just kept playing the first half hour every few months and never kept going.

How different is two since they gave that out for free?

zkylon

zkylewd
I always wanted to get into the first valley. It seemed cool enough. But I just kept playing the first half hour every few months and never kept going.

How different is two since they gave that out for free?
I haven't played the first one, but AVWW2 has a weird simple turn-based strategy part in which you have to gather resources and manage troops and structures.

it's kind of my favorite part of the game, I really enjoy when games mix stuff like that

So I'm playing through Arkham Asylum GOTY for the first time ever after hearing so many accolades heaped on the game. Got it in a Steam or GMG sale sometime back and finally getting to it.

Loving it so far... but remember that anti-piracy thing Rocksteady did where you can't glide in the toxin room?

Yeah.

I have that problem. With a legit Steam copy. WTF man???

Can anybody help me resolve this issue? Has anybody found a workaround for this?

EDIT: Gah, nvm figured it out. It was my own stupidity

JaseC

Oh interesting... I only have it retail, time for steam instead!

Isn' 12$ a bit expensive for 3? Especially how crappy it's supposed to be?

Yeah, the port is more or less 2 years old and was itself ~7 months late, but Microsoft hasn't dropped the base price at all.

Sajjaja

You might need the check its localisation option. There is a file you need to edit in pixelvision folder if you are using with a non-english language
Nope, I'm using English. =/

This is what I'm talking about. I don't know why it does that.
uaXQeqe.jpg

EDIT: Thanks to Grief for helping me from beyond the grave who told me to update my skins. Problem solved now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom