• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can tell you for a fact that his source is RU/CIS.

I didn't discount the possibility that he sources his games from an Eastern European store, but, as I said, it's not a region considered RU/CIS by publishers.

LYpZzgR.png

d95WV93.png

Salsa

I'm a light sleeper who wakes up if a mosquito breaks wind as it flies through. The PC goes off.

its kinda soothing in my case, specially with extra cooling. Its just a constant slight air noise.

I guess im used to it. I used to have a fish tank

but you wont see me putting a fucking ticking clock in the room, ever

Arthea

guys, don't add to global warming, every little thing helps, turn off your PCs!
just kidding

I do turn it off every night, we use to have weird power surges (little red martians, I suppose), and it can end badly, so I don't really have a choice.
Also power ups-es are unreliable lately, or is it my luck?

Salsa

the funny thing is that I have an ssd and it boots up instantly, I aint even sure why I leave it on, I guess I download shit

Jimrpg

Well this is annoying and bizarre - i can do everything, play my games from my library, check the steam store, but i can't install/download any games???

Sober

So the copy of Splinter Cell Conviction that comes with the digital deluxe of Blacklist is not An extra copy. Way to go Ubisoft.

That's a good thing to know, thanks. I wouldn't have liked to start getting better, only to realize that I'm actually doing worse than before xD

I own Jamestown, and all this talk about top-down shooters made me want to go back to it. I got stuck on the second level because I was forced to play it in a high difficulty to unlock one of the later stages, and I could never beat it. Never heard of Satazius, but I'm downloading the demo right now.

You know, knowing that the bullets aren't that hard is new to me. When I watch a video of one of those games, I can't begin to imagine how the player manages to avoid dying all the time. How can you reach that skill level? Is it a matter of time, practice and perseverance? I was always intrigued by this kind of games, but never dared to get into them.

Nice. I'll get the whole bundle then, next time it goes on sale.

It's a matter of "losing the fear" I guess. Or taking a leap of faith. I can tell you the first time I sit to play a Touhou game I couldn't believe I was weaving through so much flak. After a while you get used to it, you even start playing in sync. (A lot of shmups use the music as part of the experience, timing events to it for greater effect.)

I think once you know that your hitbox is smaller you dare to go through the bullet patterns with relatively less fear. This of course prepares you a bit to take on traditional shooters, which have fewer bullets and bigger hitboxes and focus more on enemy design, background/ground targets and more mechanical destruction.

After so many cutscenes, QTEs and stuff, being able to play something for 30 mins straight where it's pure game and your are at the edge... I have so little time to play games nowadays that shmups are ideal for me.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Are the early impressions of Blacklist good or bad? Really the only thing I care about is the spies vs mercs. As long as Ubi didn't fuck that up, I will end up buying it.

MNC

Borderlands 2 GOTY may have an entry but already they have some more DLC planned for extending level cap and some other stuff.

Really I just want the main game + Mechromancer + Psycho + TTAAODK

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, McPixel was $.99 on the sale, and has 13 cards (drops 7), not sure what you'd expect.

that was just an example though, almost all the cards go for around 0,06 - 0,15 now. Around beta you could sell cards for €0,5 - €1, regardless of how much the game cost.

Deques

Borderlands 2 GOTY may have an entry but already they have some more DLC planned for extending level cap and some other stuff.

Really I just want the main game + Mechromancer + Psycho + TTAAODK

2K has released Civ 5 in two "complete" packs. This could happen to Borderlands 2 too

allansm

that was just an example though, almost all the cards go for around 0,06 - 0,15 now. Around beta you could sell cards for €0,5 - €1, regardless of how much the game cost.

I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it seems that since the summer sale most of the card sellers forgot how to make money...

The price of the first cards available on the market for a given game is lower now than it was before the sale, around $0.50, and as it takes some time for people to start buying the cards, the prices drop fast as people undercut each other and cards do not sell.

And the worst, when the sellers try to establish a good price for a card, an idiot comes and undercuts everyone for a dollar or more, thinking that his card will sell faster, which is not true. Something like that happened to me yesterday. I was selling a Joe Danger 2 card and we were keeping the price high, between $2-1.75 and then an idiot comes and put his card for sale for $0.25! At least it no one else dropped the price and I managed to sell my card during the night. I ask myself what this guy was thinking to drop the price like that. And before someone tells me people do that to guarantee a fast sale, let me tell that if they are doing that they are idiots. It took a few hours for that $0.25 card to sell and I sold my card anyway, despite the higher price. In my experience, those who are buying the cards are willing to pay more for them than they are now, it's the majority of the sellers that have no idea (or don't want to learn) how to make money.

Monaco dropped a foil for me... but it's worth a paltry 94c.

They really should be worth more considering the rarity. I wonder what plans Valve have for these cards and more so the steam level/badges etc. Once you get more rewards from badges and better benefits/rewards from a high steam level the card prices will be interesting.

PriitV

I hope valve stops with the cosmetic changes to profiles.. Some of the steam profiles already remind me of myspace and badges page is just a nightmare.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They really should be worth more considering the rarity. I wonder what plans Valve have for these cards and more so the steam level/badges etc. Once you get more rewards from badges and better benefits/rewards from a high steam level the card prices will be interesting.

Removing the level 10 restriction certainly didn't help matters.

The_Monk

I can see them improving the Market at least with the Cards.

How about this: If you put a card on the Market and then remove it, you need to wait at least one hour (or more). This could help avoiding those people who are always removing then adding, putting the card 0.01 cheaper.

Also, I wonder if I should wait to make more Badges. I had some fun during the Sale because I would get at least one Summer Card but right now is just Coupons. I don't want bad coupons.

allansm

You answered it yourself.

The thing is, you have to buy at least 3 cards to complete a set and craft a badge.

If, for example, you only needed one card for a given badge, a cheap price could convince someone who was on the fence, and would not spend money if the cards were expensive, to buy the card and craft the badge. But as you need 3 or more cards, those who want to craft a badge are determined to do that and will pay a higher price anyway, they don't need to be convinced.

I think Valve is rushing the market, they are putting too much substitute for a card and keep the prices down before the rarity hits the market.
The prices crashed during the summer sale because people wanted fast cash for the sales and they started recovering after the sale. But now they are pushing new cards, lowering the card prices and losing the interest of card sellers. I think under some point in price people will stop bothering with putting their cards in the market.

Addnan

I got a Sir Bonehead foil. Can't find another one on the market. Put it up for £5. Come on, buy it! It can pay toward The Bureau!

allansm

I can see them improving the Market at least with the Cards.

How about this: If you put a card on the Market and then remove it, you need to wait at least one hour (or more). This could help avoiding those people who are always removing then adding, putting the card 0.01 cheaper.

Also, I wonder if I should wait to make more Badges. I had some fun during the Sale because I would get at least one Summer Card but right now is just Coupons. I don't want bad coupons.

I smart thing to do would be to only allow the cards to be sold 3 hours after they are first available. That way many would have got all their drops, so the cards will actually sell once they hit the market. As a result, the prices will stabilize faster instead of dropping like a rock for at least one hour like they do now.

Acccent

It took some time, but now Dark Souls is really growing on me. I still feel like I survive most fights by playing inelegantly and abusing terrain/enemy behaviour instead of swiftly dodging and counter-attacking, but at the same time I feel like it's a game meant to be played 'efficiently', not 'beautifully'.

I still think the initial area (up to undead burg) is super badly designed though, I almost gave up again - I'd tried it a long time ago at a friend's after playing Demon's Souls and the level design in Dark had left me feeling overwhelmed and lost.

I think Valve is rushing the market, they are putting too much substitute for a card and keep the prices down before the rarity hits the market.
The prices crashed during the summer sale because people wanted fast cash for the sales and they started recovering after the sale. But now they are pushing new cards, lowering the card prices and losing the interest of card sellers. I think under some point in price people will stop bothering with putting their cards in the market.

But I guess Yanis Varoufakis already knows this stuff, and trying to maintain the market at a low price point to push the sale of cards. I assume they will create a working rarity by improving the foil benefits without improving its drop ratio as a next step, when the card market calms down.

The good people of GAF, let's get all this talk and speculation sorted out :)

Once again I want to point out, I did not stop my game selling because of the talk about the feeback, frankly I kinda agree that the feedback system is somewhat inadequate.
Then of course, it was maybe a little bit too directed at me, but I really didnt mind/care.

It's simply the massive amount of time and all that it requires to be able to sell at these massive volumes as I've been doing during the summer sale.
Last week alone, 15 July - 21 July, 278 Paypal transactions were made, that is almost 40 transactions per day and doesnt take in account different orders that was put together in one purchase and how many actual games that were sold.

Some have asked what I'm doing exactly and that's another time-consuming aspect of my game selling that a lot doesnt think about.
liezryou had it pretty much right, I'm simply trading for/buying tf2 items, primarly tf2 keys, which I then trade with another game reseller who sell those tf2 keys on Steam market.

It all started Christmas 2011, with the Christmas Gift Pile, when I got free games and got into the trading and tf2 market.
Up until this February, I didnt even sell anything on NeoGAF, but I got a little bit tired of the TF2 trading and wanted to cash out on all the tf2 stuff I traded for.
To do this, I decided to simply sell Steam games on NeoGAF for the lowest possible price, matching or beating every game seller I could find.
The response was amazing and I kinda got hooked into it, so i kept trading and selling.

Now, you see, I don't have one single alt account (except for one I forgot the username for from Christmas event 2011) and I don't source all my games from one single russian friend that help me out.
This means I always have to scan the market for the cheapest game traders and I'd sell at a loss if I didnt put down a lot of time every day for finding or getting in touch with the cheapest game traders.
But it doesnt stop there, even if I found a game trader and hey, I wanna stock up on all those games that people are asking for, I still need the funds in TF2 items/keys to pay them in and I gotta act fast because the daily/flash sale isn't going on forever.
Now I gotta scan the market for cheap items/keys, so I am able to offer you those great prices.
This I need to put down a lot of time for every day too.

Some seem to think I'm making mad money off this, but that's not the case.
I remember buying games for $176.75, that would generate me $180 when I sold all the games to GAF.
That took a full work day to buy, trade and sell and I only made $3.25 off it, or 1.8% of my "investment".
Civilization 5 Brave New World I even sold at cost, I "paid" $14 for each copy and sold them for $14, because I love Civ5 and wanted to let you guys enjoy it at the best price possible.

So, why don't I just buy games with money?
Never, trading gives me protection that I won't get any other way.
If the game is fraudulently purchased, Steam will restore everything I traded for it and the one who activated the game copy will not be held responsible.

So am I even really allowed to resell games?
Yes, but not russians, the buyer are never at risk though.
I am allowed to resell games thanks to an EU law regarding reselling digital goods.
And yes, I'm really from Sweden.

So, where do the games come from?
Well, mainly they actually do come from Russia/CIS countries, but not always.
I always look for the best price and I always sell WorldWide copies, so if a game is tagged or restricted in some way, I wont touch it.
This means that I buy games from everywhere in the world.
For example, the pre-order Bioshock Infinite and Resident Evil 6 I bought from the UK, since that's where the cheapest region free copies could be bought.
Saints Row 4 and The Bureau XCOM I'm getting from Brazil, because I found some traders from there who offer good prices.

Some guys have tried to persuade me to rise my prises or stop selling on GAF because it takes too much of my free time, but I refused up until now.
The Steam summer sale ended up being a little bit better and now I feel I should take a long breather.
Also graduated a few weeks ago, so need to find myself a real job and get some real cash rollin' in :)

At last I wanna thank you all amazing gaffers for the support and love you've been showing, it's almost heartbreaking shutting my shop after all this.
I hope this clear everything up now and see you around here in the real forums! :)

Cheers

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a matter of "losing the fear" I guess. Or taking a leap of faith. I can tell you the first time I sit to play a Touhou game I couldn't believe I was weaving through so much flak. After a while you get used to it, you even start playing in sync. (A lot of shmups use the music as part of the experience, timing events to it for greater effect.)

I think once you know that your hitbox is smaller you dare to go through the bullet patterns with relatively less fear. This of course prepares you a bit to take on traditional shooters, which have fewer bullets and bigger hitboxes and focus more on enemy design, background/ground targets and more mechanical destruction.

After so many cutscenes, QTEs and stuff, being able to play something for 30 mins straight where it's pure game and your are at the edge... I have so little time to play games nowadays that shmups are ideal for me.
Amazing. Didn't know about the music in those games, but that sounds great. It'd be really nice to be able to get into the genre. I don't mean becoming good at them, but at least not sucking so much.

May I ask what was the cheapest price for the eXceed bundle on Steam? If it wasn't lower than $6, I may cave in and get the current Indie Gala bundle tonight (which has all 3).

allansm

Paperboy Joe was the Joe Danger card I was talking about. As you can see in the sale history, cheap cards do not necessarily sell faster and expensive cards do not take longer to sell. People are willing to pay more than a few cents for cards, but I doubt the majority of the sellers will noticed that unfortunately...

WOO

thanks woo and indeed hoo

finally get a chance to play FTL!!!!!!

YOOO!!

Thank you for Terraria!!! :)
I'll make good use of it!

My pleasure gents :) glad to see them go to a good home.

woo and indeed hoo contacted me about his weird double raffle giveaway thing. I checked the logs to see what happened.

1) ModBot started to give the game to dirty whirlwind. It scanned backwards through the thread to find the giveaway post and edit it. Since it was a 24 hour giveaway, it had to go back through dozens of pages to find it.

2) While it was doing this, 30 seconds passed, so ModBot started its next batch of jobs. Since the raffle didn't have a winner yet (ModBot still hadn't recorded the original winner because it was still looking for the post), it picked Kinky John for the raffle win.

3) The first ModBot batch found the post and edited it and indicated that dirty whirlwind was the winner and sent the key to him. At this point it deleted all other entries and declared the raffle closed.

4) The second ModBot batch found the post and edited it and indicated that Kinky John was the winner and sent the key to him etc.

This can easily be fixed, and it never triggered before because a) it's never had to look through that many pages before; b) in the pre-raffle era it would have awarded the game to the same person so it'd be a double PM instead of two different winners. Sorry for the inconvenience to whichever of the two winners DIDN'T get a copy of the game.

Thanks Stump, no harm done and I'm glad we helped to improve Lord ModBot's A.I. :).

Well, I sent woo a message earlier saying I had forgotten I had already bought System Shock 2 during the Summer Sale, so he should give my copy away to dirty whirlwind instead. Apparently I had actually idled for System Shock 2 cards at some point too, I don't even remember any of this. IT HAS ALL BECOME A BLUR. :|

Thanks for covering for me :p

Edit: The bug that caused it is fixed and won't happen for any other giveaway.

I just sent the modbot message I received, with the gift url included, to dirty whirlwind. Also sent a private message to woo and indeed hoo explaining things. That should be the final resolution to this issue.

Just a thank you note to both cicero and woo and indeed hoo for System Shock 2. Will be very interesting trying this one out. Now, I don't suppose Grief.exe is here, so he can post the modding guide once again.

Many apologies to all of you gentlemen for not being online whilst you all sorted this out so beautifully. I had decided to have an evening off GAF to try and make some inroads into my ridiculous Steam backlog. So thank you all for resolving it so decently :).

Dawg

Once again I want to point out, I did not stop my game selling because of the talk about the feeback, frankly I kinda agree that the feedback system is somewhat inadequate.
Then of course, it was maybe a little bit too directed at me, but I really didnt mind/care.

It's simply the massive amount of time and all that it requires to be able to sell at these massive volumes as I've been doing during the summer sale.
Last week alone, 15 July - 21 July, 278 Paypal transactions were made, that is almost 40 transactions per day and doesnt take in account different orders that was put together in one purchase and how many actual games that were sold.

Some have asked what I'm doing exactly and that's another time-consuming aspect of my game selling that a lot doesnt think about.
liezryou had it pretty much right, I'm simply trading for/buying tf2 items, primarly tf2 keys, which I then trade with another game reseller who sell those tf2 keys on Steam market.

It all started Christmas 2011, with the Christmas Gift Pile, when I got free games and got into the trading and tf2 market.
Up until this February, I didnt even sell anything on NeoGAF, but I got a little bit tired of the TF2 trading and wanted to cash out on all the tf2 stuff I traded for.
To do this, I decided to simply sell Steam games on NeoGAF for the lowest possible price, matching or beating every game seller I could find.
The response was amazing and I kinda got hooked into it, so i kept trading and selling.

Now, you see, I don't have one single alt account (except for one I forgot the username for from Christmas event 2011) and I don't source all my games from one single russian friend that help me out.
This means I always have to scan the market for the cheapest game traders and I'd sell at a loss if I didnt put down a lot of time every day for finding or getting in touch with the cheapest game traders.
But it doesnt stop there, even if I found a game trader and hey, I wanna stock up on all those games that people are asking for, I still need the funds in TF2 items/keys to pay them in and I gotta act fast because the daily/flash sale isn't going on forever.
Now I gotta scan the market for cheap items/keys, so I am able to offer you those great prices.
This I need to put down a lot of time for every day too.

Some seem to think I'm making mad money off this, but that's not the case.
I remember buying games for $176.75, that would generate me $180 when I sold all the games to GAF.
That took a full work day to buy, trade and sell and I only made $3.25 off it, or 1.8% of my "investment".
Civilization 5 Brave New World I even sold at cost, I "paid" $14 for each copy and sold them for $14, because I love Civ5 and wanted to let you guys enjoy it at the best price possible.

So, why don't I just buy games with money?
Never, trading gives me protection that I won't get any other way.
If the game is fraudulently purchased, Steam will restore everything I traded for it and the one who activated the game copy will not be held responsible.

So am I even really allowed to resell games?
Yes, but not russians, the buyer are never at risk though.
I am allowed to resell games thanks to an EU law regarding reselling digital goods.
And yes, I'm really from Sweden.

So, where do the games come from?
Well, mainly they actually do come from Russia/CIS countries, but not always.
I always look for the best price and I always sell WorldWide copies, so if a game is tagged or restricted in some way, I wont touch it.
This means that I buy games from everywhere in the world.
For example, the pre-order Bioshock Infinite and Resident Evil 6 I bought from the UK, since that's where the cheapest region free copies could be bought.
Saints Row 4 and The Bureau XCOM I'm getting from Brazil, because I found some traders from there who offer good prices.

Some guys have tried to persuade me to rise my prises or stop selling on GAF because it takes too much of my free time, but I refused up until now.
The Steam summer sale ended up being a little bit better and now I feel I should take a long breather.
Also graduated a few weeks ago, so need to find myself a real job and get some real cash rollin' in :)

At last I wanna thank you all amazing gaffers for the support and love you've been showing, it's almost heartbreaking shutting my shop after all this.
I hope this clear everything up now and see you around here in the real forums! :)

Cheers

Damn, dunder. Interesting read and finally proof you're not making mad profit off gaf, something people often seem to think.

snip

Cheers

Amazing, thanks for the explanation. I got a little bit into trading during the summer sale and even looking for the cheapest prices for games I wanted to buy for myself was somewhat exhausting.

Is this US only?

I didn't like Borderlands 1 and have not had any interest in Borderlands 2 but at this price I want it. For some reason...

Does anyone have any ideas of what valve could add to make levels mean more? I am trying to think but am blanking. I guess PS3 and Trophies are the same, the level doesn't really do anything. Maybe cause im a PC gamer now that Steam has it it just bothers me more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom