• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielcw

I think we're a few years away from easily affordable tracking of individual limbs like that.

Here's a video of a guy doing something like that in Doom 3 BFG, but he's using a motion tracking system that costs around $70,000

Thanks for the video.

I was kinda hoping for a way, where you can see you real hardware, augmented to fit the game.

Well Star Citizen has the entire cockpit modeled. So when you move the Joystick, the character will in game.

One problem I see with Oculus Rift is taht you can't look down, to see how keyboard, and look up a button.

If you could include your real world equipment in Oculus Rift view, that woul help imho.

A combination of Oculus Rift and kinect could work, but I would hate to loose the feedback and habtick of real world controls.
(& lag from Kinect)

Prophane33

Then those bullets perfectly succeed on their job, because I always end up crashing into something!

Those tips seem useful, I didn't realize there were patterns here. And yeah, it's important to avoid getting cornered without a way out, which happened to me a couple of times.

Memorizing patterns is one of the most important parts of being good at danmaku shooters Especially against bosses because they regularly use the same patterns that may only change up depending on forms/dificulty.

Edit: Oh, and luck, you'll need plenty of that sometimes.

Prophane33

I just noticed Lost Planet 3 is from the developers of Legendary, lol.

I wasn't aware it was outsourced. I'm surprised they actually made an LP3, especially after the lukewarm reception the 2nd one received. Never played more than the demo for 1 and 2 and they seemed like pretty cool games; but I'm someone who has always found the (much maligned) Dynasty Warriors series to be one of the greatest franchises in gaming, so my tastes may be questionable.

denx

It's weird. I played FTL for a little while some time ago. I thought it was fun, but haven't really wanted to go back to it since then. I guess the random aspect of it puts me off a bit. In my last playthrough I was doing pretty damn well, then I got to the next-to-last section and the game completely screwed me over throwing ridiculous ship encounters and random events that pretty much undid everything cool that was going on so far. I survived, but then I died pretty quickly in the last sector, before I even encountered the final boss ship. Haven't found the will to go back to the game since then.

Prophane33

It's weird. I played FTL for a little while some time ago. I thought it was fun, but haven't really wanted to go back to it since then. I guess the random aspect of it puts me off a bit. In my last playthrough I was doing pretty damn well, then I got to the next-to-last section and the game completely screwed me over throwing ridiculous ship encounters and random events that pretty much undid everything cool that was going on so far. I survived, but then I died pretty quickly in the last sector, before I even encountered the final boss ship. Haven't found the will to go back to the game since then.

This is true for a lot of rogue likes, I believe. You could be having one of your best runs ever and then you're screwed over by something and you get frustrated and don't touch the game for awhile (if ever). Luckily, the majority of my runs have been just a bit longer than the others. I dislike how absolutely nothing carries between runs -- I know that's the RIGHT way, but I can't believe anyone could beat this game with the default ship and crew in one run without a heaping helping of luck. I haven't been super motivated to go back either, personally. I think the game is great, but it hasn't got it's hooks into me like a lot of other rogue likes. Good game though, don't get me wrong.

Neki

This is true for a lot of rogue likes, I believe. You could be having one of your best runs ever and then you're screwed over by something and you get frustrated and don't touch the game for awhile (if ever). Luckily, the majority of my runs have been just a bit longer than the others. I dislike how absolutely nothing carries between runs -- I know that's the RIGHT way, but I can't believe anyone could beat this game with the default ship and crew in one run without a heaping helping of luck. I haven't been super motivated to go back either, personally. I think the game is great, but it hasn't got it's hooks into me like a lot of other rogue likes. Good game though, don't get me wrong.

Well you get new ships, so that carries over. I didn't really like the default ship, but the Rockmen ship are awesome, and I have like 4 clears with them, one with the Mantis, and I think one with the default. Finally unlocked the Crystal Ship too.

Nabs

So I played a bit of Aztaka and I'm liking it. I just hope the one person who beat it (hltb) was just completely horrible at it.

denx

I don't like how you have to "grind" achievements to unlock new ships in FTL. Not a fan of that.

I haven't been super motivated to go back either, personally. I think the game is great, but it hasn't got it's hooks into me like a lot of other rogue likes. Good game though, don't get me wrong.

This. Althought I had fun with the game, I didn't feel like it was OMFGWTF AMAZING like other people do. It didn't grab me that much, and I don't really feel the compulsion to go back to it. I'll give it another try eventually though.

So I played a bit of Aztaka and I'm liking it. I just hope the one person who beat it (hltb) was just completely horrible at it.

I played a bit a long time ago and liked it too, unfortunately got derailed with my massive backlog, but I still plan to finish it sometime.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Costume Quest cards only worth 8 cents. How am I supposed to afford RE6 cards with drops like these?

Salsa

Costume Quest cards only worth 8 cents. How am I supposed to afford RE6 cards with drops like these?

that's some amateur idler business, everyone knows you idle cards in this order:

1) least popular game (less people own it, less cards, more money)
2) most expensive game (less people own it, less cards, more money)
3) everything else

Dice

that's some amateur idler business, everyone knows you idle cards in this order:

1) least popular game (less people own it, less cards, more money)
2) most expensive game (less people own it, less cards, more money)
3) everything else
But I have to redownload the other games and they are so many GB.

bronson

Not sure where else to put this, but I think some dude is trolling Dunder Hassan's friendslist for free cards.

Guy named "President Freeday" messaged me and asked for my System Shock cards "for freeeeeeeeee" and said that Dunder "sed i wuz cool". I called him out and he said that Dunder isn't on his friendslist anymore because one of them deleted the other for more room.

Anyway, I know most of you guys know better than to fall for stupid crap like that, but I thought I'd just put a warning out there.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
But I have to redownload the other games and they are so many GB.

I thank god for Steam's compressed downloads these days. They can still be massive, but at least I'm not downloading all 23GB~ data for Hitman: Absolution to make about 14 cents per card.

Red Orchestra though fuck that for real

Salsa

Download SAM and use it to idle games you don't want to download.

there's some steam card idle tool that exits one game and launches another queued up once you get all the cards making the rounds out there, but it asks for steam username, password, and steamguard code

no thx

Grief.exe

The relaxing open road

06a9482c707659a4a12a013a73d049c3dd956c1f.jpg

Dice

Edit: Nevermind. I see it shows me as active just by being on this menu.

Edit 2: I'm thinking of buying Darksiders 2 now but playing it later for Halloween. Is the DLC worth it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Huh, all this time I'd thought that Tiberian Sun was on Steam. :( It's my favourite of the bunch.

I hate the Desmond stuff and just rush through it as quickly as possible to get back to the period stuff which I love and inhale like a crackhead.

And no one is forcing people to play these games on a yearly basis. I essentially took a two year break after Revelations since I didn't want to wear myself out. Since I waited almost a year to play 3 I was actually really looking forward to getting back into the series.

I'm really glad you played and enjoyed it. I was one of the people who encouraged you to, because I also don't understand the hate it gets. The games are flawed, but AC3 is no more flawed than the others, and for those of us who keep loving them, I don't mind the rough edges. AC4 looks fantastic IMO.

zkylon

zkylewd
does idling multiple games still work?

sometimes steam just won't give me my cards :(

also ended the summer sale with 1 cent, I'm at 5 bucks already. thank you based gaben

eyeless

anyone know if there's any reason i shouldn't uninstall human revolution if i still plan to play missing link some time? it's standalone right, wouldn't require the original game's files?

going on a bit of an uninstallin' spree, always feels good

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
anyone know if there's any reason i shouldn't uninstall human revolution if i still plan to play missing link some time? it's standalone right, wouldn't require the original game's files?

going on a bit of an uninstallin' spree, always feels good

It's not standalone, it just has a separate library entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom