• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Yeah, the intro is six hours long and then quite a few missions after that are there to to showcase new mechanics IIRC. I don't think AC3 is any worse than the other games in the series, but I'd really like it if they'd stop making a good portion of the game feel like a tutorial. AC2 and Brotherhood are guilty of this too. That said, I did love the homestead missions. It added a lot of character to the world and helped make Connor more human than his stale acting shows.

Dawg

One of the problems though, is that I really disliked Connor. I never liked him, he always seemed angry and cocky against people. Didn't care for him.

Compared to Ezio, that's night and day.

Grief.exe

Yeah, the intro is six hours long and then quite a few missions after that are there to to showcase new mechanics IIRC. I don't think AC3 is any worse than the other games in the series, but I'd really like it if they'd stop making a good portion of the game feel like a tutorial. AC2 and Brotherhood are guilty of this too. That said, I did love the homestead missions. It added a lot of character to the world and helped make Connor more human than his stale acting shows.

The game is mostly aimed at the lowest common denominator.

You have to remember that they have to cater to that segment as well, which means frequency of tutorials and the sheer amount all have to go up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's as dull and tedious as the other games. I don't even know why I still bother with this series.
That's a really good question. Why do people keep buying games from series they don't enjoy? Are they being forced to? Or do they just enjoy shitting on it on the internet?

Just remember, you don't have to actually buy a game to complain about it, just look at any Call of Duty thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
C.J. always seemed too aggressive for me, too. I just couldn't relate to him.

I wonder how relieved people are that AC4 is going back to Connor's (white) ancestor's rather than progressing forwards down an even more cultural path post Revolution.

I was actually impressed with Ubi's decision to focus on how Connor perceived both sides of the Revolutionary war.

HoosTrax

If anyone cares about sales data, Capy released some info behind S&S:

http://www.capybaragames.com/2013/07/a-sworcery-infographic/
Jives with what I would expect.

Tbh, I felt a little underwhelmed with it. Or maybe felt it was overhyped. The gameplay just didn't thrill me at all. It was dull and typical of touch-based games (can you imagine Canabalt or Temple Run on a keyboard or controller? Zzzzz), where you get your jollies from swiping greasy fingers around on a screen and watching the game respond.

It's a touchscreen game through and through, although the soundtrack and the unique visual design still make it worth playing -- just don't expect much from the gameplay department.

Edit: also, typical Capy late PC port

Nabs

Tbh, I felt a little underwhelmed with it. Or maybe felt it was overhyped. The gameplay just didn't thrill me at all. It was dull and typical of touch-based games (can you imagine Canabalt or Temple Run on a keyboard or controller? Zzzzz), where you get your jollies from swiping greasy fingers around on a screen and watching the game respond.

It's a touchscreen game through and through, although the soundtrack and the unique visual design still make it worth playing -- just don't expect much from the gameplay department.

Yep.

Prophane33

If anyone cares about sales data, Capy released some info behind S&S:

http://www.capybaragames.com/2013/07/a-sworcery-infographic/

Wow, kind of makes me understand why a lot of companies want to go into iOS ports/games looks like that's where the real sales are; however, I'd like to see data for a game that released on Steam first and iOS second. It's possible the release gap between iOS and Steam is responsible for the large amount of iOS sale (i.e. it was the only way to play the game for awhile).

Prophane33

Canabalt was originally a web game before it got released on iOS, I remember when it got ported. Still much better on a touchscreen though.

Never heard of this game before (I only buy/know about iPad games) but really enjoyed messing with the web version just now.

Wasn't Nexus: The Jupiter Incident in some bundle? I seem to remember it was, wasn't able to confirm it though.

Not according to the Indie Bundle Wiki and a quick google search.

Yup.

Only played it for a few minutes, but controlling that game with a mouse wasn't very enjoyable.

I'm currently out of town with my laptop and was going to fire up some old games to get some cards (whichever games I happened to have installed on my laptop), and I went to boot up Half-Life 2. It asked for me to convert the old files for a few minutes so I went ahead and agreed to it.

For about 45 minutes it has been sitting here at 0% file conversion. There is no cancel button.

How long is this supposed to take? I am wasting time not playing games that don't need conversion since I thought this was going to only take 5-10 minutes max. If I force quit steam mid-conversion will that mess my Half-Life 2 up? I need to leave in 2 hours as well so if it's going to take too long I won't have a choice.

def sim

The game is mostly aimed at the lowest common denominator.

You have to remember that they have to cater to that segment as well, which means frequency of tutorials and the sheer amount all have to go up.

I'd like to give more credit to the mainstream audience than that. Ubisoft takes accessibility to an extreme I don't think is necessary.

Tenrius

I'm currently out of town with my laptop and was going to fire up some old games to get some cards (whichever games I happened to have installed on my laptop), and I went to boot up Half-Life 2. It asked for me to convert the old files for a few minutes so I went ahead and agreed to it.

For about 45 minutes it has been sitting here at 0% file conversion. There is no cancel button.

How long is this supposed to take? I am wasting time not playing games that don't need conversion since I thought this was going to only take 5-10 minutes max. If I force quit steam mid-conversion will that mess my Half-Life 2 up? I need to leave in 2 hours as well so if it's going to take too long I won't have a choice.

It probably will take longer than two hours. I think it's safe to cancel it, as far as I remember it's simply going to ask you to convert the files again next time you launch it.

mrgone

That conversion process is infuriating, the way it completely locks up Steam without any information about what's going on or the ability to cancel. Is there any disk/network activity at all? I've had to terminate Steam a couple of times when large games got to the download portion of the conversion process. After restarting it'll just appear in the download list like any other Steam install, provided it's at that point. They were all quite far in percentage-wise though, nothing hanging for long periods of time at 0%.

I don't think killing it will mess HL2 up any more than it already is, though :D

HoosTrax

It might actually be downloading the necessary new files -- do you see any download activity happening on the bottom status bar?

Dawg

Also, does anyone know if Fallout: NV still suffers from the (micro) stuttering? And if so, is there a fix for it?

Got it during sales, but I remember reading about stuttering back in the day.

mrgone

Also, does anyone know if Fallout: NV still suffers from the (micro) stuttering? And if so, is there a fix for it?

I seem to remember something about limiting the game to play on a single CPU core, but that might've been Fallout 3

Tenrius

It probably depends on your current configuration, so maybe you won't even have it. I for one didn't have it even in the release version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That conversion process is infuriating, the way it completely locks up Steam without any information about what's going on or the ability to cancel. Is there any disk/network activity at all? I've had to terminate Steam a couple of times when large games got to the download portion of the conversion process. After restarting it'll just appear in the download list like any other Steam install, provided it's at that point. They were all quite far in percentage-wise though, nothing hanging for long periods of time at 0%.

I don't think killing it will mess HL2 up any more than it already is, though :D

Converting or verifying the cache of a game locking you out of the client is frustrating, especially when the game in question is a particularly large one. It's one of the more annoying flaws of the client that I hope Valve eventually addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom