• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

Converting or verifying the cache of a game locking you out of the client is frustrating, especially when the game in question is a particularly large one. It's one of the more annoying flaws of the client that I hope Valve eventually addresses.

I can't imagine ever verifying the cache for games like SHOGUN 2 or Max Payne 3. You'd be de-facto donating your PC to Valve forever for the purpose of terrifying hard drive noises.

Echoplx

Converting or verifying the cache of a game locking you out of the client is frustrating, especially when the game in question is a particularly large one. It's one of the more annoying flaws of the client that I hope Valve eventually addresses.

It even maxes out SSD speeds and still takes ages, no idea why.

My last raffle I am afraid until the Autumn sale when I intend to do this again, all being well.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FTL -- MB-EA7B41EA95645882
Terraria -- MB-57711C31857C152E
System Shock 2 -- MB-AC270BBFA69C3A3E

Good luck all.

DukeBobby

Jesus, Assassin's Creed 3 is unoptimised garbage. I've dropped both AA and shadows down to normal, and I still only get 30 fps when walking around Boston.

KingKong

Jesus, Assassin's Creed 3 is unoptimised garbage. I've dropped both AA and shadows down to normal, and I still only get 30 fps when walking around Boston.

yeah I remember Boston being pretty bad for FPS, the countryside and other cities were better though

and man, I hated AC3 but I watched the AC4 video and I'm back in

KiDdYoNe

Hah, the Logan card from Dead Island is so goofy. It doesn't feature him at all.
120x140f

Only when you look at the full art for the card do you see him.
---------------
Daily Deal is STALKER series 75% off
http://store.steampowered.com/app/4500

Grief redeemed
Show me some STALKER cards Sergey.

Volotaire

My last raffle I am afraid until the Autumn sale when I intend to do this again, all being well.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FTL -- MB-EA7B41EA95645882
Terraria -- MB-57711C31857C152E
System Shock 2 -- MB-AC270BBFA69C3A3E

Good luck all.

Your giveaways are awesome! Go for it guys!

Seems to be when idling multiple games for cards, i'll get the first drop for all 3 very quick (dropped by the time i load the games up and get back to work. 30 min max). After that, the drop rate plummets (nothing in about 90 minutes).

Is that normal for most people idling multiple games, or does the rate seem higher when you are physically on your computer than idling away from it?

Milamber

Ugh, I'm surfacing up from Euro Truck Simulator 2 to tell anyone that still does not have the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series in their Steam library should immediately beat themselves with a rusty iron bar and get them right away. Shame on you all for not giving this euro-jank a try.

Okay, back to ETS2.

_machine

I've started Stalker SoC like 3 times but always give up a few hours in. I should try it again.
Yes, yes you should. Stalker games really take quite a while to click, but when they do man it's good. Very, very few games can match the atmosphere of the Stalker series (and two of them are made by ex-GSC guys) and with the help of mods the gameplay is really something that no other game offers.

EDIT:
Okay, quote this with a picture of Pripyat for a Shadow of Chernobyl.

Fireblend

Banned
So, if someone asks for all three of the raffle keys, could he (in theory) win all three? Is that how it works, or does ModBot make sure that the winners for each game in a raffle are different? Has that been addressed by Stump?

I already own the three games and I'm not participating in the raffle, for the record, I'm just curious :p

Ardvent

Alright so between the original and CoP which is better, or are both too intertwined to distinguish?

CoP is a better game out of the box, the engine can handle a lot more but the modding scene isn't quite there yet.

SoC is a pile of crashy and bizzare shit when you first install it. I highly suggest play throughs using Stalker Complete 2009 (2012).

In four days (7/30) Misery 2.0 is launching which is an overhaul mod for CoP with some amazing features. I'm excited to have a new play through with Misery.

I replay the game every year or so, it's great to dump time into exploring anomalies and selling artifacts.

liezryou

Yes, yes you should. Stalker games really take quite a while to click, but when they do man it's good. Very, very few games can match the atmosphere of the Stalker series (and two of them are made by ex-GSC guys) and with the help of mods the gameplay is really something that no other game offers.

EDIT:
Okay, quote this with a picture of Pripyat for a Shadow of Chernobyl.

10131.jpg
Not sure if u meant in real life or the game, i went with real life!

Thanks for the giveaway Woo, signed up for Terraria.

So, if someone asks for all three of the raffle keys, could he (in theory) win all three? Is that how it works, or does ModBot make sure that the winners for each game in a raffle are different? Has that been addressed by Stump?

I already own the three games and I'm not participating in the raffle, for the record, I'm just curious :p

I could be wrong, but I remember seeing something about if you sign up for more then one game in a giveaway, you get automatically disqualified for all of them. I'm assuming it's the same here.

Fireblend

Banned
I could be wrong, but I remember seeing something about if you sign up for more then one game in a giveaway, you get automatically disqualified for all of them. I'm assuming it's the same here.

Huh. Maybe there should be a disclaimer for that along with the other rules. I get how that goes without saying for the "first-to-PM" giveaways, but for long raffles people might be signing up for all three without any malicious intent just to see if they win anything and getting disqualified.

What makes you give up fellow GAFfer?

1. It is very challenging for me. In the beginning, I have such awful weapons I die frequently. I know this is intentional, but it is a hard hill to climb for me.
2. I love the atmosphere and the world that they created, but the level of tension for me can sometimes be to much. I almost had a heart attack running through the wasteland during the day time when a loud dog bark sounded off in my right ear out of nowhere, so you can imagine that some of the other areas became to scary for me. I'm not huge on scary games. I'd probably say the scariest game that I have beat alone is bioshock, which of course isn't really that scary. I do really enjoy playing scary games with friends though.

I'd probably just attribute it to me knowing how good it is, but being more stressed than having fun. And for the record, my last attempt was with the complete mod.

The_Monk

1. It is very challenging for me. In the beginning, I have such awful weapons I die frequently. I know this is intentional, but it is a hard hill to climb for me.
2. I love the atmosphere and the world that they created, but the level of tension for me can sometimes be to much. I almost had a heart attack running through the wasteland during the day time when a loud dog bark sounded off in my right ear out of nowhere, so you can imagine that some of the other areas became to scary for me. I'm not huge on scary games. I'd probably say the scariest game that I have beat alone is bioshock, which of course isn't really that scary. I do really enjoy playing scary games with friends though.

I'd probably just attribute it to me knowing how good it is, but being more stressed than having fun. And for the record, my last attempt was with the complete mod.

I can understand your second fellow GAFfer point but regarding the first, isn't there a Easy mode or something similar?

_machine

I can't stand the underpowered weapons of vanilla Stalker or even Vanilla Complete, so I recommend using the SC Realistic Weapons addon for Complete 2009. Combat won't be much easier (you could kick up the difficulty a notch, though), but oh so much more better feeling.

Khronico

It is imperative that all of you that haven't bought the Stalker series do so immediately. One of the best survival series ever made, as well as one of the best shooter series.

Gvaz

Banned

It's very challenging if you try and treat it like a normal shooter You can't sit back and snipe dudes with the pistol, and you have to account for things like bullet drop which aren't typically in normal games (normal games have hitscan weapons practically)

maty

Quick question, I'm trying to check how much I made from selling cards and how much I spent on the market, is there another option besides checking your market history and doing the sums?

When checking your account details with Enhanced Steam you get your Market Transactions total, does that show only what you've bought?

Thanks

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quick question, I'm trying to check how much I made from selling cards and how much I spent on the market, is there another option besides checking your market history and doing the sums?

When checking your account details with Enhanced Steam you get your Market Transactions total, does that show only what you've bought?

Thanks

Adding up the transactions manually is the only way. IIRC, Enhanced Steam's market total is more of an approximation as it doesn't distinguish between currency types (for some odd reason, the prices are listed in the currency used by the buyer, not the currency tied to your Wallet -- so you have US dollars, UK pounds, Russian rubles, and so on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom